Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 354 Guests

Just back...

This thread currently has 10,356 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
TAGG
November 9, 2014, 1:02pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Cumbrian Mariner

Disagree that Disley and Clay had poor games. Mackreth and Arnold were invisible and not getting back, that was why these two couldn't put their stamp on the game.  Thought that Sisley in particular played well and our best moves in the first half came through him.  Lenny did well holding the ball up but our side midfielders failed to give him options when he got the ball, had the one that hit the post actually have gone in then it would have made Oxford come at us instead of weighing us up before hitting us on the break with pace.

For me, the tactics/set up in the first half was wrong - we should have gone at them with an attacking formation.

At the end of the day we weren't ever gonna win the cup (hard to accept I know) so let's move on and get a win against Halifax on Tuesday, the cup will be forgotten about by then.

UTM

Of course were not gona win the cup but thats no excuse to just give up.
Yes Tuesdays game is important but we had 90 minutes of a Cup game to play first.
Fans pay hard earnt cash to watch the team give there all to the final whistle.
For Hurst to say he was thinking about the next game whilst still playing just sums up him and his total lack of respect for the fans. Hurst you are a twit.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 85
November 9, 2014, 1:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from TAGG

Of course were not gona win the cup but thats no excuse to just give up.
Yes Tuesdays game is important but we had 90 minutes of a Cup game to play first.
Fans pay hard earnt cash to watch the team give there all to the final whistle.
For Hurst to say he was thinking about the next game whilst still playing just sums up him and his total lack of respect for the fans. Hurst you are a twit.

But this is the Manager of the Month you're speaking about!

Personally I think he did the right thing - getting out of this league is all-important, and I'm glad he thinks so too.

I understand your point of view, but that's why football fans are frequently described as "long-suffering".
Reply: 61 - 85
Grimal
November 9, 2014, 2:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from DocTower
Well , when the team was announced I wondered what formation it would be . As has been said Pittman and Arnold appeared to be doing the same role in the same position .  Lenny was busy but again well marshaled , had his shot gone in ! might have altered Oxfords game plan doubt it really . Twenty minutes in our midfield seemed to do a Chuck Norris and go missing in action .

My big concern is that if they are in the lower half of division 2 and they controlled the game .They passed the ball better , controlled the ball better won every second ball , just how many saves did their keeper have to make ?     Even if we managed to gain promotion big changes would have to be made again .

All well and good saying a bad day at the office , just shows how , without Magney and Brown we are a mid table conference side .  As we walked out , my son said it was a bit of a nothing game , probably right .
The bright red sky was nice and the strange cloud formations were interesting though .  

Damn it I missed the best attraction of the afternoon then. after the third goal went in I was watching the boats sailing up and down the Estuary,sad I know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 85
TAGG
November 9, 2014, 3:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,961
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from 137

But this is the Manager of the Month you're speaking about!

Personally I think he did the right thing - getting out of this league is all-important, and I'm glad he thinks so too.

I understand your point of view, but that's why football fans are frequently described as "long-suffering".

So your saying its OK just to chuck in the towel??
In my book its not, its just like sticking your fingers up at the fans.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 85
November 9, 2014, 4:07pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
Nielson got about 10 minutes, Paddy a bit more. Both evidently did well.

Did they ?

Neilson looked sharp (as most subs tend to) and was unlucky to misplace a couple of well intended passes with the right idea.
He showed energy to track back and showed what he was all about with his dribbling but how much value you place on doing around your box is debatable.
As for Paddy maybe I missed something but didn't see much to get excited about at all.

Quoted from chaos33
Pitman was played out of position for the most part. Almost everyone who had commented has said they couldn't understand the formation and positioning of certain players. Tondeur couldn't, but he thought it inappropriate to ask about it evidently.

What we've got to realise (maybe !) is RH isn't a "John Tondeur platform" to impose his own impressions and observations as questions.
If he starts asking "Why weren't players doing x, y and z ?" then perhaps he's leaving himself open to Hurst replying and asking for his OWN interpretation.
If that then amounts to "criticism" of the manager then JT's hardly doing his job as questioner and interviewer IMO.

Presumably his job is to ask general questions regarding the game itself, not impose his own personal views which aren't likely to be in the mainsteam.
Reply: 64 - 85
November 9, 2014, 4:13pm
Guest User
Quoted from TAGG
In my book its not, its just like sticking your fingers up at the fans.

I see your point but see it the opposite way tbh !
If most fans are saying how important the league is then he's arguably doing what most of them want ?
Let's be fair, he can't please everyone whatever he does.
In any case we got one back and kept going to the end.
Reply: 65 - 85
oldun
November 9, 2014, 4:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Neilson seems to be a bit of a crowd pleaser, and he causes a stir when he runs with the ball at the opposition. However I question the end product, if he cannot get a shot away there is no end product because he is not aware of where team mates are and he rarely passes it in those situations. He does add a spark to proceedings though. As for Paddy, during his time on the pitch he spent too long running towards our goal or passing back. He did make one good forward surging run which is what I want to see him do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 85
November 9, 2014, 5:16pm
Guest User
I appreciate some good points Oldun. (+1)

All I'd say regards Neilson (in his defence) is both his (failed) passes yesterday reminded me of the Wrexham game.
i.e. he mazed his way centrally before passing a beautiful reverse ball left through to an advancing Aswad who was tripped for the penalty that Lennie duly dispatched.  
If your memory doesn't match that of an elephant, please have a look on MP and I hope you'll see what I mean.
Or if it does, perhaps that's what you mean by "rarely".

For me, it's a tricky one because IMO we've got 3 players who could all play wing and are arguably worth a place in the team.

I know many don't rate Mackreth (even if he is top assister !)
But in addition to being able to run at defenders, think he puts SO much unnoticed running and work in for the team.
Even if he maybe didn't have the greatest game yesterday...

Right wing is another issue for me - how suitable do we think Arnold or Neilson might be there ?
Cos I've little idea tbh having seen them mainly left side this season.

Think Abdul made the argument that if Neilson plays right side he'll be sticking to his position more.
I'm honestly not sure if it's a good thing or not.
At a wild guess, him playing more as a rigidly placed and disciplined winger just concerns me it's not making full use of his potential.
(But obviously it's about tracking back at times too !)

If that's indeed true though, where he fits into the team's formation is open to debate.
In short, I wonder if it's possible we'll see Arnold, Neilson AND Mackreth ALL in the same XI at some point this season and whether it would be effective.
Reply: 67 - 85
moosey_club
November 9, 2014, 7:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,213
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 120797

Presumably his job is to ask general questions regarding the game itself, not impose his own personal views which aren't likely to be in the mainsteam.

If as the regular media observer and interviewer (with the professed title of the voice of the mariners)  you "notice" that the regular line up, formation and positions have been abandoned and a completely new line up is presented to you would you not think that the question would be extremely relevant not only out of journalistic intrigue but also of interest to your intended audience?

It looked as though you started with a new formation today Paul, can you talk us through the changes and the thoughts behind them?

A nice easy open question, giving the interviewer plenty of opportunity to pick any further points out of the response...but no..

Bottled it !

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 85
November 9, 2014, 7:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from moosey_club
It looked as though you started with a new formation today Paul, can you talk us through the changes and the thoughts behind them?

"I wanted to be positive" ?

Your go JT.

Reply: 69 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.