Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 246 Guests

Just back...

This thread currently has 10,393 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
November 8, 2014, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Hard to disagree with that Ginny but as I didn't witness the performance my opinion doesn't really carry much weight. From listening to the game and reading the comments, I have to say I don't really understand Hurst's tactical approach or some of the positioning of players today.

Not bothered about being out of the cup, but if there really are concerns emerging from the performance and tactics then that makes me uncomfortable with today's outcome. It seems that many of those players wouldn't really have a case to complain if they were dropped on Tuesday. I want Hurst to go 4-3-1-2 or at least, the shape that brought rich rewards against Gateshead and Alfreton on Tuesday but I don't think he will. Why has he deviated from this? Genuine question.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 85
November 8, 2014, 8:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner tommy
read Maringer, ginnywings and oldun's posts.

Ok I have now... (except Maringer)

I agree with oldun.

I gave ginny a tick (for his 1st, not the 2nd)
However is he suggesting we run around at 110mph or treat it like the battle of Trafalgar (especially at 0-2) before a vital game on Tuesday ?
Not for me.
Whether it's Oxford, Sheff Utd or Barton Old Boys I personally couldn't give a toss.
That said, I don't think there was any massive amount of "lack of effort", they put a good enough shift in for me and gave it a good go.

If you ask me what we maybe SHOULD have done was defend more (i.e. see Hurst's comment regards 'defensive midfielder') then hit them on the counter with the crowd behind us.

But Hurst said he wanted to go positive.
And fair enough, I can understand why...

Yes "positivity" can be important but there's degrees of positivity and "risk-taking".

Yes it's worth throwing on subs with 20 mins to go at 0-0 if the game is there to be won.  
But you don't go to Man Utd and go 2-3-5 just cos you "believe".
If the answer to success was that simple, every team would already be doing it...

I can honestly say I was not impressed with anything I saw today.

I can - Oxford !

A very bad day at the office, best forgotten quickly.
Sorry.

No problem - I agree with you.
Reply: 21 - 85
diehardmariner
November 8, 2014, 8:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,600
Gold Stars: 538
I've missed Ross Hannah and his one-man attempt to change the offside rule. Bless him.

By bless, I of course mean offload him asap.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 85
November 8, 2014, 8:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
Hard to disagree with that Ginny but as I didn't witness the performance my opinion doesn't really carry much weight. From listening to the game and reading the comments, I have to say I don't really understand Hurst's tactical approach or some of the positioning of players today.

Not bothered about being out of the cup, but if there really are concerns emerging from the performance and tactics then that makes me uncomfortable with today's outcome. It seems that many of those players wouldn't really have a case to complain if they were dropped on Tuesday. I want Hurst to go 4-3-1-2 or at least, the shape that brought rich rewards against Gateshead and Alfreton on Tuesday but I don't think he will. Why has he deviated from this? Genuine question.

What really suprises me is you're not even at the games and you're dishing out the advice as to what Hurst should be doing and what formation(s) he should go with.

In any case if fans are suggesting we go with 1 formation and just stick with it, I think it fails to take into account the opposition and our own personnel we decide to put out on the field.

For example I picked a weakened team and therefore picked a 5-3-2 / 3-4-1-2 formation to suit MY choice of players

Unfortunately "One size fits all" solutions don't work.
Reply: 23 - 85
jimgtfc
November 8, 2014, 8:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 45
Like others have said bad day at the office, at least it means a game or 2 less to play, just need to ditch the fa trophy now as well and leave a clean run for promotion.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 85
November 8, 2014, 8:15pm
Guest User
Agree with Maringer's last comment...
Reply: 25 - 85
chaos33
November 8, 2014, 8:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
First of all, I'm not dishing out advice. I said what I want Hurst to do. That's different. Secondly, I wasn't at today's game and I prefaced that fact by saying my opinion doesn't carry much weight. Ok with you? Can't say fairer than that can I. I'll be at the game on Tuesday. I don't know why you said 'games'. I assume it was a typo.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 85
MuddyWaters
November 8, 2014, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Would have been nice for the manager to inform the paying fans that he was going to play an experimental team. Those of us that paid might have decided to watch paint dry instead.
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 85
TownSNAFU5
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
My views are the same as Oldun.  Oxford were better.

They wanted it more than us and worked harder.  Eg, closing our keeper down.  They nearly got possession a few times.  Also, in the first half Thomas stopped and let the ball go out.  However, their player kept running and kept it in.  They very nearly created their second goal from this attack.

They broke in numbers and at pace.  We could not handle this.  (Not used to teams doing this in NL).

We missed Brown today (to win and keep the ball) and Neilson (to offer some direct running at their players and some creativity).  He did this when he came on.  Playing for a place on Tues probably. Near the end he chased back 40 yards to try and close their player down.

Our built up play was far too slow.  In the first half Toto was getting stick for taking his time.  He then played a 15 yard ball straight to an Oxford player.

Arnold and Pittman seemed to share the same role.  In the first half we had no natural winger on the right.

No one played well.  Best to get the mistakes out of the system today.  Bring on Tuesday.  Maybe changes from today.  Pell should be back in as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 85
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
First of all, I'm not dishing out advice. I said what I want Hurst to do. That's different.

Sounds the same to me but if you say so.

Quoted from chaos33
Secondly, I wasn't at today's game and I prefaced that fact by saying my opinion doesn't carry much weight. Ok with you? Can't say fairer than that can I. I'll be at the game on Tuesday. I don't know why you said 'games'. I assume it was a typo.

Just an assumption really cos I've never seen you offer a match report on "Just back".
Look forward to your in depth analysis on Tuesday.
Reply: 29 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back...

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.