Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Atmosphere.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 273 Guests

Atmosphere.

This thread currently has 8,321 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Chrisblor
November 3, 2014, 3:17pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,764
Gold Stars: 233
Quoted from 120797
What changes would you like to see being made by the club ?

Read the full post and you'll have an answer to that question.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 61
Jaws
November 3, 2014, 3:29pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
With regards to the megaphone idea - there was plenty on here slating the drum.

The pontoon needs to be segregated into a singing area - the upper left used to be it, but it's just full of kids playing on their iPhones.

I think we'd be in a better position putting flags over seats in the ground thus getting everyone sat closer together.

We're going to have 4,000 seats or more empty every game. Why are we spreading ourselves out (or why is the club letting us) - this kills the atmosphere to begin with.

Everyone is together at most away games and the atmosphere is better - put some lyrics in the matchday programme for those who don't know the words.

If the club is worried about urinating off people in the Pontoon there are more than enough seats elsewhere in the ground - most of which have a better view anyway.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 61
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 3, 2014, 3:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23

I think we have to allow for the time of year. We could be at the start of a surge up the table (or not!) but to expect big crowds or even the return of the disillusioned after some poor performances and only a few decent ones would be foolish.

If (and it's still a big if) we are knocking in the goals and picking up the points, possibly with a good cup run on top, then that will be the time to see if any lack of atmosphere is really down to the club's policies. We won't know that until we are into New Year.

It's hard to accept but there is a lot of apathy around caused solely by the feeling that the club is still sliding or at best treading water. There are little things the club can do to encourage more youngsters through the gate and there are things that it could do about stewarding but these are small fry. The one thing that will bring in the fans and the best atmosphere is results and then people can start to feel that the club is at last on the up.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 61
November 3, 2014, 5:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from Chrisblor

Read the full post and you'll have an answer to that question.

Well I did but ok, I re-read it and came up with "Give town fans the opportunity to create a bit of an atmosphere in a different stand."

Fair enough but thought he was complaining about stewards and club officials ?

I'm not trying to put down my fellow fans here.
I've been told by stewards to "get behind the white line" myself. (though accept there may be good reasons)

Point I'm making is you surely can't expect the club to have an all seeing eye over every rogue steward.
What practical steps could be put in place to improve things ?
I was expecting something like e.g. a stewards complaints referral system.

Or am I missing the point here cos I've no idea what "intimidated by officials at the club" refers to.

Thanks to the red cross brigade for marking me down again (not that I care) when only trying to understand the issue and maybe help frustrated supporters make a better case for themselves...
Reply: 53 - 61
grimsby pete
November 3, 2014, 6:21pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
We are not on our own by a long way,

76,000 fans at Old Trafford have been very quiet for over a year now.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 61
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 3, 2014, 6:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Jaws
With regards to the megaphone idea - there was plenty on here slating the drum.

The pontoon needs to be segregated into a singing area - the upper left used to be it, but it's just full of kids playing on their iPhones.

I think we'd be in a better position putting flags over seats in the ground thus getting everyone sat closer together.

We're going to have 4,000 seats or more empty every game. Why are we spreading ourselves out (or why is the club letting us) - this kills the atmosphere to begin with.

Everyone is together at most away games and the atmosphere is better - put some lyrics in the matchday programme for those who don't know the words.

If the club is worried about urinating off people in the Pontoon there are more than enough seats elsewhere in the ground - most of which have a better view anyway.

I don't think that would work Jaws. Atmosphere comes from all around the ground. I've never been to a game at BP that has atmosphere with any empty stands. If you think about it, Town away supporters actually need the rest of the opposition ground to be fairly full for their own noise to create any atmosphere. It's just a physical fact of life at football grounds.

The two worst grounds I have ever been to were the old grounds at Sheffield United and Northampton. Both of them were open onto a cricket pitch at one side. Even with 3 sides full the atmosphere was non-existent. It was the same at Halifax when half the ground was closed for safety.

Filling all 4 sides of the ground as full as possible is the only sure way to make atmosphere. That should be our aim.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 61
Meza
November 3, 2014, 7:25pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Some interesting comments and points.  I mainly go in the upper findus with me old man I use to be in the pontoon during the Buckley years for me it was the main stand for singing your heart out but this was before seating was introduced.   Now im in the upper findus there is no one initiating the singing and normally follows when the ponny sings.  Another thing to bare in mind is the stands and ponny have an a mixture of different ages.  Some fans go to see their beloved town and are not interested in singing, and some do.  I have even witnessed a fan in the upper trying to initiate the singing only to be told to shut up and sit down which I couldn't believe.

I don't know what the answer is but the decline through the years seems to have taken its toll on fans where they no longer feel enthusiastic about singing and chanting only the young ones that haven't witnessed the years of turmoil.

So maybe if we get promoted or are top of the league im sure BP my rock once more.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 61
ska face
November 3, 2014, 9:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,568
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from 120797

Well I did but ok, I re-read it and came up with "Give town fans the opportunity to create a bit of an atmosphere in a different stand."

Fair enough but thought he was complaining about stewards and club officials ?

I'm not trying to put down my fellow fans here.
I've been told by stewards to "get behind the white line" myself. (though accept there may be good reasons)

Point I'm making is you surely can't expect the club to have an all seeing eye over every rogue steward.
What practical steps could be put in place to improve things ?
I was expecting something like e.g. a stewards complaints referral system.

Or am I missing the point here cos I've no idea what "intimidated by officials at the club" refers to.

Thanks to the red cross brigade for marking me down again (not that I care) when only trying to understand the issue and maybe help frustrated supporters make a better case for themselves...

Yeah, sorry, went a bit ranto and trailed off away from the point a bit. It's not a dig at specific people or a moan at specific incidents.

The point I'm trying to make is that the actions of safety officials at the club (whether they're in the control box or stands) have, over recent years, had a negative affect on the atmosphere at BP. Alongside that, what could and should be a simple "quick-win" type solution (splitting the Osmond) has been overlooked in favour of a allowing a simple-life for the security officials.

Yes, I'm sure those in charge are more than happy to get through 23 matches a season without even the hint of any kind of incident, but I think this overly cautious approach is damaging the atmosphere at BP and the experience for fans (and potential fans) in terms of providing an interesting matchday experience. There are people in the ground who create an incredible atmosphere in worse stands than the Osmond - everyone connected to the club knows it - but for one reason or another, are reluctant to do so at BP.

Again, I reiterate that I'm not an authority on ground/council regulations on stewarding or segregation, though it would show a real signal of intent if the club were to come out and say that they've given the idea some serious consideration, and/or were willing to trial it for more than just one game.
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 61
November 3, 2014, 9:45pm
Guest User
No worries I fully appreciate your points and you appear to be making some good observations and suggestions.

Suppose my point was if you're unlucky enough to encounter an over-zealous steward, whether it's fair to blame the club for it.
I honestly don't know - I'm not an authority on ground/council regulations on stewarding or segregation either !
Reply: 58 - 61
WappingMariner
November 4, 2014, 11:51am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Approval: +125

We've got Jason Pearcey, number one, we've got the best team in the land...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Atmosphere.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.