Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Atmosphere.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 342 Guests

Atmosphere.

This thread currently has 8,337 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
November 2, 2014, 8:18pm
Guest User
Quoted from immariner
I go to the match (admittedly haven't been in a while) to support my team, not to rally against the opposition.

Good man.
Reply: 40 - 61
ska face
November 2, 2014, 9:50pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
I think "Grimsbys Finest" has it absolutely on the nose. The fans who actively want to create an atmosphere, and do so to great effect away from home, are victimised and intimidated by officials at the club and stewards who either need to justify their position and wage, or who are nothing more than bullies. That's a fact, I'm afraid to say, and I honestly couldn't give a fiddler's intercourse if Nick Dale or John Fenty don't want to hear it - the club employs grown men who get a kick out of bullying younger people in the Pontoon or spend Saturday afternoons winding people up in order to give them something to do. They have done for years, and anyone who sits anywhere near the left-hand side of the Pontoon will have witnessed countless incidents of this nature.

What impact has this had on the atmosphere? Well, coupled with other factors, it has killed it. Nobody wants to be the person who starts anything off around there for fear of being singled out, pointed out, filmed, dragged around the corner "for a chat", and made to feel unwelcome somewhere they spend their leisure time. When the club have an average of 123 away fans (13/14) and is the second-least visited ground for away fans, narrowly ahead of Gateshead, the stewards and safety officials have (almost) nothing to do in the main, and so the focus falls on home fans. For too long, young fans have been unfairly and excessively targeted at BP.

You have to ask yourself, just how much do the people with the power want to improve the atmosphere and "matchday experience" *spits* at BP, and how much do they just want an easy ride? Because believe me, that's what they're flipping getting - even compared to just a few years ago when we'd regularly pull in 400-500 away fans each week. Fans have commented, away fans have commented, the manager has commented, the chairman majority shareholder has commented, even the players have commented on the the awful atmosphere at home. Those not in the know, so to speak, can put it down to a general malaise or a cumulation of 10 years of garbage, but there is CLEARLY an element of fans who want to create and atmosphere if given the opportunity.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you only have to look at what's happening down the A46 to see what can be achieved with a little understanding from officials at the club. That small group of Lincoln fans have spent years battling with stewards & security officials, have suffered bans and intimidation from the club and stewards. However, once the club grew up a bit and gave them a bit of a break, it's improved the atmosphere no-end. I've absolutely no doubt their fans played a massive part in their victory over us in September.

So what can the club do? Show a bit of actual intent, for a start. Show some actual commitment to improving the atmosphere and not just roll out the usual lines about "making BP a fortress". We're not asking for ground-breaking ticket pricing initiatives, we know that safe-standing will never be installed at BP and we're not asking for Dave Boylen to stand at the front of the smiths with megaphone. Just show the slightest hint that the people with the power to make some changes are committed to doing something for the good of the club for once, and aren't merely serving their own interests.

The next three home games - Oxford, Halifax & Kiddy - should see at least 300 away fans from each team, with Lincoln coming just a month later. After that? Macc, Barnet, Telford. Are we expecting many from these teams? All averaging 1300-1600 at home? How about splitting the Osmond? Give town fans the opportunity to create a bit of an atmosphere in a different stand. Believe it or not, fans aren't animals and can be trusted to share a stand without battering each other to death. I'd even look into splitting it for matches against Halifax, Bristol Rovers and Kiddy - why not cap away tickets at 1000-1300 and give a small section of the Osmond to town fans? I'm not claiming to be an expert on ground regulations, but surely this is something that should be investigated by the club if they actually want to improve the atmosphere.

Fans are bored of being treated like animals by the authorities, and are sick to the back teeth of the incessant sterilisation of football at all levels. If town want to address this, now is the time to do it.

I'll not hold my breath.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 2, 2014, 10:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ska face
I think "Grimsbys Finest" has it absolutely on the nose. The fans who actively want to create an atmosphere, and do so to great effect away from home, are victimised and intimidated by officials at the club and stewards who either need to justify their position and wage, or who are nothing more than bullies. That's a fact, I'm afraid to say, and I honestly couldn't give a fiddler's intercourse if Nick Dale or John Fenty don't want to hear it - the club employs grown men who get a kick out of bullying younger people in the Pontoon or spend Saturday afternoons winding people up in order to give them something to do. They have done for years, and anyone who sits anywhere near the left-hand side of the Pontoon will have witnessed countless incidents of this nature.

What impact has this had on the atmosphere? Well, coupled with other factors, it has killed it. Nobody wants to be the person who starts anything off around there for fear of being singled out, pointed out, filmed, dragged around the corner "for a chat", and made to feel unwelcome somewhere they spend their leisure time. When the club have an average of 123 away fans (13/14) and is the second-least visited ground for away fans, narrowly ahead of Gateshead, the stewards and safety officials have (almost) nothing to do in the main, and so the focus falls on home fans. For too long, young fans have been unfairly and excessively targeted at BP.

You have to ask yourself, just how much do the people with the power want to improve the atmosphere and "matchday experience" *spits* at BP, and how much do they just want an easy ride? Because believe me, that's what they're flipping getting - even compared to just a few years ago when we'd regularly pull in 400-500 away fans each week. Fans have commented, away fans have commented, the manager has commented, the chairman majority shareholder has commented, even the players have commented on the the awful atmosphere at home. Those not in the know, so to speak, can put it down to a general malaise or a cumulation of 10 years of garbage, but there is CLEARLY an element of fans who want to create and atmosphere if given the opportunity.

As has been mentioned elsewhere in the thread, you only have to look at what's happening down the A46 to see what can be achieved with a little understanding from officials at the club. That small group of Lincoln fans have spent years battling with stewards & security officials, have suffered bans and intimidation from the club and stewards. However, once the club grew up a bit and gave them a bit of a break, it's improved the atmosphere no-end. I've absolutely no doubt their fans played a massive part in their victory over us in September.

So what can the club do? Show a bit of actual intent, for a start. Show some actual commitment to improving the atmosphere and not just roll out the usual lines about "making BP a fortress". We're not asking for ground-breaking ticket pricing initiatives, we know that safe-standing will never be installed at BP and we're not asking for Dave Boylen to stand at the front of the smiths with megaphone. Just show the slightest hint that the people with the power to make some changes are committed to doing something for the good of the club for once, and aren't merely serving their own interests.

The next three home games - Oxford, Halifax & Kiddy - should see at least 300 away fans from each team, with Lincoln coming just a month later. After that? Macc, Barnet, Telford. Are we expecting many from these teams? All averaging 1300-1600 at home? How about splitting the Osmond? Give town fans the opportunity to create a bit of an atmosphere in a different stand. Believe it or not, fans aren't animals and can be trusted to share a stand without battering each other to death. I'd even look into splitting it for matches against Halifax, Bristol Rovers and Kiddy - why not cap away tickets at 1000-1300 and give a small section of the Osmond to town fans? I'm not claiming to be an expert on ground regulations, but surely this is something that should be investigated by the club if they actually want to improve the atmosphere.

Fans are bored of being treated like animals by the authorities, and are sick to the back teeth of the incessant sterilisation of football at all levels. If town want to address this, now is the time to do it.

I'll not hold my breath.

Well argued post mate and no doubt a lot of truth there.

I would just say though that the actual number of fans who have the problem with the stewards is still small. The places where atmosphere is really lacking are those with (probably) older fans who are the most disillusioned, disenchanted and dispirited because they have witnessed the good days before the present crap. Getting their enthusiasm back is going to take more than sorting out a few stewards.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
MarinerWY
November 2, 2014, 10:22pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,988
Gold Stars: 47
Agree with so many points on here. Disappointing to hear the club went back on their word re: a trial for theyounger, noise-creators in the Osmond, and completely agree with the well-argued post by Ska Face.

Also can't remember who pointed it out, but ticket prices are a lot for younger fans, who may or may not by employed, studying, working on an apprenticeship wage... for conference footy it's expensive stuff. The fact that there's not full-time student discounts for all ages is a joke. These fans are out future, give them an incentive to come to the footy, it's not like we're playing Leeds and Sheff Weds or games with a big buzz at the moment...
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
November 2, 2014, 10:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from ska face

I'll not hold my breath.

I sit in the lower findus and this happens all the time. As soon as some young child gets a can of pop out they are straight on the scene just in case a 5 year old child decides to jump over the advertising board and gets past the 40 stewards to attack the away fans with the sharp end of his can of pop. When there is an incident on the pitch close to the lower Findus they are straight up to stand behind the advertising boards as if someone is going to run on the pitch and attack the players or officials. Do they really think that people will run on the pitch and assault a player or official for a prison sentence? We are down to the diehards who generally care about the club. The hooligans who go to the football realise which games which there is a potential for trouble which in this league there must only be 3  games with the potential of disorder.  When was the last time it kicked off in Blundell Park?  Does the club not understand that the hooligans realise that if they kick off inside the ground that they have cctv / stewards / police officers/ 3000+ witnesses to watch them.
Reply: 44 - 61
November 2, 2014, 11:04pm
Guest User
As a guide, there should be a ratio of one steward per 250 of theanticipated attendance for a low-risk match.
This ratio should be increased to up to one per 100 of the anticipated attendance where the risk assessment shows a need for a higher level of safety and security management.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/51/53/98/safetyregulations_e.pdf

Other than Lincoln, Bristol Rovers and maybe Wrexham and Chester then I would say all of our matches are low risk matches.
Reply: 45 - 61
November 2, 2014, 11:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from ska face
we're not asking for Dave Boylen to stand at the front of the smiths with megaphone.

Lol.

Quoted from ska face
Just show the slightest hint that the people with the power to make some changes are committed to doing something for the good of the club for once, and aren't merely serving their own interests.

What changes would you like to see being made by the club ?
Reply: 46 - 61
Brisbane Mariner
November 3, 2014, 1:57am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Quoted from moosey_club
Atmosphere died when it went all seater....add 10 yrs of watching slowly deteriorating football...with dwindling crowds and ...lets be honest.....games like today where we we sit off at 2-0, dont go for jugular against a pathetic opposition and give the fans anything to get excited about then what do you expect?

a point i guess BUT When we lose we are not happy, whe3n we draw we are not happy unless its a hard fought away draw and when we WIN we are not happy because we didnt win well enough!!
good Grief Charlie Brown!!!!!!!!!!
I am very happy we have won, I am equally pleased that we have turned a bit of a slump around too! I will actually be at the Halifax game so I hope the form continues!

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 47 - 61
arryarryarry
November 3, 2014, 1:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Gold Stars: 116
I think it has much to do with the tempo of the game, I haven't read the just back thread but to be honest I didn't think that much to the game overall, a lucky own goal followed by the best move of the game but after that and for the first 30 minutes of the second half there wasn't much for the crowd to shout about.

For me Datford looked very poor and we should have got right at them in the second half but we didn't.

There is also the fact we have lost around 700 fans due to the poor home performances at the start of the season and they have yet to return.

There has been a good crowd at the Osmond end of the Findus that created a good atmosphere but they seem to have vanished, probably some of that missing 700.
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
moosey_club
November 3, 2014, 3:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Brisbane Mariner

a point i guess BUT When we lose we are not happy, whe3n we draw we are not happy unless its a hard fought away draw and when we WIN we are not happy because we didnt win well enough!!
good Grief Charlie Brown!!!!!!!!!!
I am very happy we have won, I am equally pleased that we have turned a bit of a slump around too! I will actually be at the Halifax game so I hope the form continues!

Haha, i know what you are saying but games like Saturday just gone, it was very one sided, wasnt exactly rivetting stuff, and our style of play just doesnt get you out of your seat...there is more atmosphere when you are losing and you cheer to encourage them on..0-0, 0-1, 0-2 etc, the team didnt need encouraging to a win on Saturday and there was certainly no impetus from a change of tactics to spur the crowd on, the game just drifted on until about 80 mins when a substitution was made.
Swift attacking football, shots from range, blood curdling tackles, punch ups all things which can effect atmosphere but again none of them are on display that often.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Atmosphere.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.