jimgtfc
November 1, 2014, 6:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 44
Easy

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 49
mariner tommy
November 1, 2014, 6:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
That is now a run of five wins on the bounce.
The last time we did better was from 17th December 2011 to 21st January 2012 when we won seven on the bounce.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 49
headingly_mariner
November 1, 2014, 7:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,316
Gold Stars: 113
Game won in the first half, now everyone is fit we look really strong and we have options, even though he only got 10 minutes today I think keeping Pittman fit could be the difference between the play offs and us mounting a serious title challenge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 49
Tangerine Chris
November 1, 2014, 7:23pm
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: -24
I thought Pell was amazing, and fully deserved his MOM award.

On another note, I asked Doig what was happening with the New Zealand boy , and he said "We are still waiting for the International Clearance to come through"  So that should be another player on our books when it happens

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 49
November 1, 2014, 7:53pm
Guest User
I think the best way to describe it is that it was a professional performance.
Reply: 24 - 49
the driver
November 1, 2014, 8:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +127
Thought  Diz had a lot better game very pleased to see I will be critical when he has a poor game today a captains innings today good to see
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 49
November 1, 2014, 8:16pm
Guest User
Couldn't help but be impressed by how we re-distributed, worked the ball and our general approach play 1st half.
Signs of work on the training ground and just feels like it's all slowly coming together (albeit against a poor looking Dartford side).

1st half on occasions a few players (Disley, LJL, Magnay) snatched at shots when they could maybe have shown a little more composure. But if that's due to a willingness to make an early mark then it can certainly be forgiven.

Only other small concern for the future is when playing it around the back, we might be robbed in possession by a better team if we're not careful !
But if that's as bad as it gets, then surely it must be good news - a very professional and encouraging performance IMO.

Started 4-1-4-1 with Disley in front of the back 4.
Mackreth and Arnold in wide support of LJL meant this morphed into a 4-3-3 at times in attack.
Generally thought LJL looked a little isolated and probably agree "support was a little slow in arriving" but when effectively playing 1 up top, not too much to criticize IMO.

Thought it was interesting AFTER the subs came on, we went with this formation & lineup last few mins...

.....................McKeown  
Magnay.....Nsiala......Pearson...Thomas
............................Clay
.................Pell.............Paddy
Pittman................LJL................Hannah

McKeown - Tipped 1 over the bar but barely troubled.

Thomas - Generally sound although caused 1 or 2 problems defensively. Doesn't seem to getting forward as much.
Just like the 2nd half in general, if it's a case of saving energy for later in the season then MAYBE it's a good idea.

Pearson - Another near faultless performance.

Toto - Commanding, assured and some of his ball control was top drawer. Showed good vision picking out runners and was impressed with his accurate long passing from the back. Well done !

Magnay - Intelligent passing, reads the game so well and generally solid as a rock.
I'll give him MOM although like Pearson, it's quickly turning into a "you expect that of him each time now" type thingy.

Clay - Good game. Showed lots of energy to provide movement and make runs forward.

Disley - Agree with Hurst on RH, did especially well 1st half breaking play up in front of the back 4 on a number of occasions.
However not suddenly convinced it's the ideal position for him.  
Wonder if it's more a case of allowing others with legs to provide the movement instead.
That said showed he could run forward himself 2nd half !
Still frustrated how he likes to go backwards instead of forwards so much but I doubt that will start changing in a hurry...

Pell - Pleased at his positive start and generally quite a good debut.
Looks a good "all rounder" with passing, shooting & pace (thought he looked fairly quick in full flow !) and see why he's "box to box"
Stopping playing wanting the ref to give the foul in his favour (GTFC fans expect you to play to the whistle !) put a slight doubt in my mind if he's really best as a Mascherano type tackler.
In any case think he'd probably be wasted playing in the front of the back 4.  
Unsuprisingly looked a bit tired 2nd half...  

Mackreth - Did a hell of a lot of work and movement and generally thought he did really well for the team.
Yes he's not Ronaldinho but he's a pain up the bottom for defenders with his instant acceleration + has good ball control and can play a pass. Another "well done !"

Arnold - Cracking goal and while struggling in the air, did very well in the tackle + worked hard too.
That said, thought he was very sloppy in possession 1st half and while always a huge creative threat, didn't have the greatest of games if you ask me and can do even better.

LJL - Fluffed 1 or 2 passes/shots here or there but held the ball up very well indeed and pleased he got the goal for his hard working contribution.

So we move on to Braintree...
Which judging by their home results this season will be a very tough game.
But the way things are going, you'd perhaps be rather bold to suggest Town will struggle to achieve another victory.

Up The Mariners
Reply: 26 - 49
northbankmariner
November 1, 2014, 8:36pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
Very happy overall with the result and the performance. Defence looked very solid, Pearson and toto never missed a header all afternoon and covered each other very well, aswad had a good game and magnay was never going to be beaten all afternoon,  what a good player he is. New boy pell looks one hell of a good find, energetic, very good use of the ball when in possession, didn't waste a pass and can drive forward with a cracking shot on him. Dizzy played well and was busy all game. Clay did the ugly stuff well as per norm but also isn't afraid of having a shot today. Out wide Jackie did ok very direct but didn't get round the back too often but a couple of good crosses in dangerous areas, especially the one for Arnold's excellent well taken goal, rivalled the shops at Torquay to be fair. Arnold has a nice touch and will get better and better the more game time he gets. The shop had a good game put himself about as the lone striker and linked up very well, was pleased he got his goal albeit a penalty for a hard working display. Even paddy came on near the end a rattled a cracker against the post to remind hurst what he is all about. The first half we were very dominant, possession and use of the ball was impressive. Macca was redundant. Second half we never got going really and didn't kick on, if dart ford had been a bit better then a goal for them would easily have been justified, the subs could have been a bit earlier for me to take the sting out of dartford and freshen things up a bit. But we were never in any danger of losing today, a handsome 3-0 win.
One thing that is evident to me is that this current crop of players is NOT a non league squad, far from it. Well done town from a happy mariner.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 49
Mighty_Mariner
November 1, 2014, 9:27pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Very good win today against the type of team we have struggled against at home this season. One thing I did pick up on during commentary is that our greatest ever manager Alan Buckley said he'd have had LJL in his starting XI every week during his time.  Very interesting given the stick PH had received at times for picking him.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 49
Les Brechin
November 1, 2014, 9:46pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Game won in the first half, now everyone is fit we look really strong and we have options, even though he only got 10 minutes today I think keeping Pittman fit could be the difference between the play offs and us mounting a serious title challenge.

Scott Brown still to come back don't forget.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.