Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, November 1, 2014, 5:05pm
Bit quite
Posted by: Meza, November 1, 2014, 5:08pm; Reply: 1
Strange post I was kind of expecting a summary of our great win.  
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, November 1, 2014, 5:09pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Meza
Strange post I was kind of expecting a summary of our great win.  

My apologies. Just a excrement gag referencing Fenty's post after the Torquay game that caused a stir.
Posted by: chaos33, November 1, 2014, 5:22pm; Reply: 3
Great result. Hopefully we can be top 5 by the time we play the cup game next weekend.

UTM
Posted by: lee65, November 1, 2014, 5:25pm; Reply: 4
Great result, sat back a bit too much first 20 mins of 2nd half, could've made changes sooner (but maybe thinking of Tuesday)
Lovely goal by Arnold. Pell looked classy, but make no mistake dartford were poor.
Posted by: mimma, November 1, 2014, 5:27pm; Reply: 5
Just back!!

Regulation walk in the park, never broke sweat, content to play it around.

We didn't play with any urgency, but we didn't have to, Dartford were poor.

Impressed with Pell, had a 35 yarder saved by the keeper, who then needed treatment before he got up!

Another easy 3 points.
Posted by: gobby, November 1, 2014, 5:32pm; Reply: 6
Nice and easy display, Pell looks good, Arnold was busy, Toto solid, Dartford very weak 8)
UTMM
Posted by: Maringer, November 1, 2014, 5:33pm; Reply: 7
Not the best performance, but you can't really complain too much about a comfortable 3-0 victory.

I thought it was Toto's best game that I've seen and the rest of the defence played well also. The midfield and forwards were a bit hit and miss with Pell in and out of the game. Showed some good touches at times, but he did look like a player who needs to play a lot more games. Not Clay's best game either (though he did hold his own), but I thought Disley was very good for the first 60 or 70 minutes before tiring.

Another hard-working performance from both LJL and Mackreth and another good cross from the latter for Arnold's (excellent) volleyed finish. Arnold was also a bit in and out of the game but generally did well and it seems apparent that he's been working with Thomas so that he covers back when Aswad goes on a run forward.

As for Dartford, they passed it around reasonably well at times but offered little up front and I think their only real shot on target was a mishit cross. Otherwise, their only real threat came from set pieces and we defended all of these well. Some things never change, though - our second goal came from Sweeney being dispossessed in midfield when dwelling on the ball. Just like deja vu!
Posted by: Meza, November 1, 2014, 5:39pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner

My apologies. Just a excrement gag referencing Fenty's post after the Torquay game that caused a stir.

Haha no worries meanwood :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 1, 2014, 5:40pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from chaos33
Great result. Hopefully we can be top 5 by the time we play the cup game next weekend.

UTM

Only two games on tues mate so we will be 2nd. :)

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, November 1, 2014, 5:53pm; Reply: 10
Who smashed the post near the end, was it Paddy? Would of been a great goal if it went in.

Thought Pell was great, passed it around well especially in the first half.  He did give up when that little excrement No 8 looked like he had given away a foul, only minor fault of the game from him.  Lucky not to have scored when he layed the keeper out with that fierce drive not far into their half lol.  8)
Posted by: BIGChris, November 1, 2014, 5:56pm; Reply: 11
Dartford offered less than Altrincham, Southport, Dover etc they were very poor and in honesty we didn't have to get out of 2nd gear to claim a simple victory.

Games coming thick n fast so having a relatively gentle run out was good. Toto , Maggers and Shaun were very solid, Dizzy did well in the holding role.

LJL led the line well but at times the support was a little slow in arriving.

Goals change games and our first was a little fortuitous. How RH can claim it was Magnay when he didn't even touch the ball is beyond me.

2nd goal was great. The shop dispossed Sweeney, Clay fell Mackreth who's cross was volleyed in by Arnold. I thought Arnold didn't get in to the box enough but then again I wasnt privy to the instructions given by PH.

Penalty was for a clear and very stupid shirt pull on LJL who put the spot kick away well.

On to Braintree on Tuesday.

A bIt  dissapointed  with the attendance given kids for a quid and the great run we have been on but never mind. A few more 3-0 wins and the missing fans may return UTM
Posted by: cmackenzie4, November 1, 2014, 6:00pm; Reply: 12
Good summary!
Posted by: mariner tommy, November 1, 2014, 6:12pm; Reply: 13
Yes it was Paddy that hit the post at the end.
Again nobody played badly, and we never broke sweat because we didn't have to.
Our best players today ?  Pearson and Arnold were both outstanding I thought.

UTM
Posted by: Belfast Town, November 1, 2014, 6:15pm; Reply: 14
Can't believe Magnay was credited with the first goal!
Posted by: mariner tommy, November 1, 2014, 6:19pm; Reply: 15
Can anybody remember ever seeing the same side make three substitutions at the same time as Dartford did ?
I can't.

UTM
Posted by: Richard Cranium, November 1, 2014, 6:19pm; Reply: 16
Obviously Hurst and LJL are back in the gang now with you so-called experts
Posted by: grimsby pete, November 1, 2014, 6:20pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Richard Cranium

I never doubted them mate. :)
Posted by: JMT, November 1, 2014, 6:23pm; Reply: 18
Harry Pell looks like a bloody good player, anyone agree?
Posted by: oldun, November 1, 2014, 6:29pm; Reply: 19
Let's be honest, Dartford did not trouble us although they got forward  more after making 3 subs. We went off the boil for the first 20 mins of the second half and we were too slow moving the ball and getting forward. We picked it up again and created openings and were a bit unlucky not to get another goal or two. Macca had one cross cum shot to deal with all game. Defence looks very solid and calm,  Magnay had another very good game. Midfield did ok, Pell showed what a good player he is but  I thought he was ready to come off after an hour, but somehow he got a second wind and put in some strong forward runs towards the end including a couple of good efforts on goal. Arnold took his goal brilliantly after good work out on the right by Lenny, Clay and Macreth, who certainly can cross the ball well. Lenny was Mr Cool for the pen and had another good game. A competent performance all round. I do think if we play 433 then when Lenny comes short or goes out wide others need to get into the box otherwise it is left empty. Arnold did this for his goal and it should have happened more. No complaints with a 3-0 win and 3 more points, there is no doubt we have a good squad of players.
Posted by: jimgtfc, November 1, 2014, 6:29pm; Reply: 20
Easy
Posted by: mariner tommy, November 1, 2014, 6:45pm; Reply: 21
That is now a run of five wins on the bounce.
The last time we did better was from 17th December 2011 to 21st January 2012 when we won seven on the bounce.

UTM
Posted by: headingly_mariner, November 1, 2014, 7:09pm; Reply: 22
Game won in the first half, now everyone is fit we look really strong and we have options, even though he only got 10 minutes today I think keeping Pittman fit could be the difference between the play offs and us mounting a serious title challenge.
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, November 1, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 23
I thought Pell was amazing, and fully deserved his MOM award.

On another note, I asked Doig what was happening with the New Zealand boy , and he said "We are still waiting for the International Clearance to come through"  So that should be another player on our books when it happens
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), November 1, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 24
I think the best way to describe it is that it was a professional performance.
Posted by: the driver, November 1, 2014, 8:08pm; Reply: 25
Thought  Diz had a lot better game very pleased to see I will be critical when he has a poor game today a captains innings today good to see
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), November 1, 2014, 8:16pm; Reply: 26
Couldn't help but be impressed by how we re-distributed, worked the ball and our general approach play 1st half.
Signs of work on the training ground and just feels like it's all slowly coming together (albeit against a poor looking Dartford side).

1st half on occasions a few players (Disley, LJL, Magnay) snatched at shots when they could maybe have shown a little more composure. But if that's due to a willingness to make an early mark then it can certainly be forgiven.

Only other small concern for the future is when playing it around the back, we might be robbed in possession by a better team if we're not careful !
But if that's as bad as it gets, then surely it must be good news - a very professional and encouraging performance IMO.

Started 4-1-4-1 with Disley in front of the back 4.
Mackreth and Arnold in wide support of LJL meant this morphed into a 4-3-3 at times in attack.
Generally thought LJL looked a little isolated and probably agree "support was a little slow in arriving" but when effectively playing 1 up top, not too much to criticize IMO.

Thought it was interesting AFTER the subs came on, we went with this formation & lineup last few mins...

.....................McKeown  
Magnay.....Nsiala......Pearson...Thomas
............................Clay
.................Pell.............Paddy
Pittman................LJL................Hannah

McKeown - Tipped 1 over the bar but barely troubled.

Thomas - Generally sound although caused 1 or 2 problems defensively. Doesn't seem to getting forward as much.
Just like the 2nd half in general, if it's a case of saving energy for later in the season then MAYBE it's a good idea.

Pearson - Another near faultless performance.

Toto - Commanding, assured and some of his ball control was top drawer. Showed good vision picking out runners and was impressed with his accurate long passing from the back. Well done !

Magnay - Intelligent passing, reads the game so well and generally solid as a rock.
I'll give him MOM although like Pearson, it's quickly turning into a "you expect that of him each time now" type thingy.

Clay - Good game. Showed lots of energy to provide movement and make runs forward.

Disley - Agree with Hurst on RH, did especially well 1st half breaking play up in front of the back 4 on a number of occasions.
However not suddenly convinced it's the ideal position for him.  
Wonder if it's more a case of allowing others with legs to provide the movement instead.
That said showed he could run forward himself 2nd half !
Still frustrated how he likes to go backwards instead of forwards so much but I doubt that will start changing in a hurry...

Pell - Pleased at his positive start and generally quite a good debut.
Looks a good "all rounder" with passing, shooting & pace (thought he looked fairly quick in full flow !) and see why he's "box to box"
Stopping playing wanting the ref to give the foul in his favour (GTFC fans expect you to play to the whistle !) put a slight doubt in my mind if he's really best as a Mascherano type tackler.
In any case think he'd probably be wasted playing in the front of the back 4.  
Unsuprisingly looked a bit tired 2nd half...  

Mackreth - Did a hell of a lot of work and movement and generally thought he did really well for the team.
Yes he's not Ronaldinho but he's a pain up the bottom for defenders with his instant acceleration + has good ball control and can play a pass. Another "well done !"

Arnold - Cracking goal and while struggling in the air, did very well in the tackle + worked hard too.
That said, thought he was very sloppy in possession 1st half and while always a huge creative threat, didn't have the greatest of games if you ask me and can do even better.

LJL - Fluffed 1 or 2 passes/shots here or there but held the ball up very well indeed and pleased he got the goal for his hard working contribution.

So we move on to Braintree...
Which judging by their home results this season will be a very tough game.
But the way things are going, you'd perhaps be rather bold to suggest Town will struggle to achieve another victory.

Up The Mariners
Posted by: northbankmariner, November 1, 2014, 8:36pm; Reply: 27
Very happy overall with the result and the performance. Defence looked very solid, Pearson and toto never missed a header all afternoon and covered each other very well, aswad had a good game and magnay was never going to be beaten all afternoon,  what a good player he is. New boy pell looks one hell of a good find, energetic, very good use of the ball when in possession, didn't waste a pass and can drive forward with a cracking shot on him. Dizzy played well and was busy all game. Clay did the ugly stuff well as per norm but also isn't afraid of having a shot today. Out wide Jackie did ok very direct but didn't get round the back too often but a couple of good crosses in dangerous areas, especially the one for Arnold's excellent well taken goal, rivalled the shops at Torquay to be fair. Arnold has a nice touch and will get better and better the more game time he gets. The shop had a good game put himself about as the lone striker and linked up very well, was pleased he got his goal albeit a penalty for a hard working display. Even paddy came on near the end a rattled a cracker against the post to remind hurst what he is all about. The first half we were very dominant, possession and use of the ball was impressive. Macca was redundant. Second half we never got going really and didn't kick on, if dart ford had been a bit better then a goal for them would easily have been justified, the subs could have been a bit earlier for me to take the sting out of dartford and freshen things up a bit. But we were never in any danger of losing today, a handsome 3-0 win.
One thing that is evident to me is that this current crop of players is NOT a non league squad, far from it. Well done town from a happy mariner.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, November 1, 2014, 9:27pm; Reply: 28
Very good win today against the type of team we have struggled against at home this season. One thing I did pick up on during commentary is that our greatest ever manager Alan Buckley said he'd have had LJL in his starting XI every week during his time.  Very interesting given the stick PH had received at times for picking him.
Posted by: Les Brechin, November 1, 2014, 9:46pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Game won in the first half, now everyone is fit we look really strong and we have options, even though he only got 10 minutes today I think keeping Pittman fit could be the difference between the play offs and us mounting a serious title challenge.

Scott Brown still to come back don't forget.
Posted by: GrimRob, November 1, 2014, 11:00pm; Reply: 30
Men against boys
Posted by: forza ivano, November 1, 2014, 11:25pm; Reply: 31
Lisbon mariner calling in! Very pleased to hear we continue our run. Just a quick note on harry pell.im sure he was Herefords most impressive player a couple of years ago when we won at Edgar street with dayle southwell scoring.v tall stupid haircut and quite aggressive, had some ability and not afraid to get stuck in.hope someone can confirm were talking about the same player.
Ps benfica are Shiite!
Posted by: BIGChris, November 2, 2014, 7:53am; Reply: 32
Quoted from forza ivano
Lisbon mariner calling in! Very pleased to hear we continue our run. Just a quick note on harry pell.im sure he was Herefords most impressive player a couple of years ago when we won at Edgar street with dayle southwell scoring.v tall stupid haircut and quite aggressive, had some ability and not afraid to get stuck in.hope someone can confirm were talking about the same player.
Ps benfica are Shiite!

Same guy. Pell was impressive that day
Posted by: 137 (Guest), November 2, 2014, 10:23am; Reply: 33
Very pleased with the 3 points and a more-than-useful contribution from Pell.

To be critical, we still have problems playing 433 - think we might have got 6 or 7 playing 442 yesterday.

With that shape, when we attack down either flank the guy from the other wing has to get into the box to support LJL. The only time
that happened was for Arnold's excellent goal. Can't remember Mackreth doing this at all when we attacked down Arnold's side.

Mackreth continues to disappoint me a bit - he's supposed to be "very quick", but didn't have the beating of his full-back for pace.
And a couple of times 1st half - when faced with two defenders - he just ran aimlessly down the line and lost possession. He needs
to learn to recycle the ball in such circumstances. That said, both he and Arnold showed a willingness to get back and defend.

Too often in the 1st half we played the ball long to LJL who's got two forwards miles away on each touchline, and no close support
from midfield. Better to line-up 442 if we're going to play that way.

Felt sorry for the Dartford fans - they tried to make some noise, and won't have had too many happy memories to discuss on the
trip back home.

Final thoughts: if we're going to play 433 well I think we'll need Brown to be in the team; wonder how Paddy feels about Pell's
signing and start?
Posted by: Saudimariner, November 2, 2014, 11:11am; Reply: 34
Quoted from forza ivano
Ps benfica are Shiite!

No, Iraq and Iran are Shiite, Saudi and Egypt are Sunni
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, November 2, 2014, 11:37am; Reply: 35
Lol
Posted by: psgmariner, November 2, 2014, 2:13pm; Reply: 36
Pell looked good but was up against a very poor opposition. Nice gentle introduction for him.

Wonder how Brown's balls are today😳
Posted by: tashee69, November 2, 2014, 2:24pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Richard Cranium

Can remember the comments that playing LJL will cost Hurst his job. As it happens it is what has helped him win manager of the month.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, November 2, 2014, 9:13pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from oldun
Let's be honest, Dartford did not trouble us although they got forward  more after making 3 subs. We went off the boil for the first 20 mins of the second half and we were too slow moving the ball and getting forward. We picked it up again and created openings and were a bit unlucky not to get another goal or two. Macca had one cross cum shot to deal with all game. Defence looks very solid and calm,  Magnay had another very good game. Midfield did ok, Pell showed what a good player he is but  I thought he was ready to come off after an hour, but somehow he got a second wind and put in some strong forward runs towards the end including a couple of good efforts on goal. Arnold took his goal brilliantly after good work out on the right by Lenny, Clay and Macreth, who certainly can cross the ball well. Lenny was Mr Cool for the pen and had another good game. A competent performance all round. I do think if we play 433 then when Lenny comes short or goes out wide others need to get into the box otherwise it is left empty. Arnold did this for his goal and it should have happened more. No complaints with a 3-0 win and 3 more points, there is no doubt we have a good squad of players.

Hope this works....if so enjoy  :)

https://vine.co/v/OOOU2BWdX7d
Posted by: KingstonMariner, November 2, 2014, 10:28pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Lol

So are Bratfort - I checked with a taxi driver many years ago
Posted by: cjbill, November 3, 2014, 7:43am; Reply: 40
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Hope this works....if so enjoy  :)

https://vine.co/v/OOOU2BWdX7d

Something I like with Shops penalties are that they are never the same where as we know Hannah's are routine.
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 3, 2014, 9:11am; Reply: 41
Quoted from BIGChris
LJL led the line well but at times the support was a little slow in arriving.

Agree, Saturday was a stroll in the park. I thought Dartford were awful and will probably be relegated. I thought Peter Sweeney was a disgrace, he showed touches well above this level but wasn't prepared to do any graft at all when his team mates needed him to dig in. When they made the double substitution after about 65 minutes, Sweeney was looking over and seemed gutted his number wasn't up. He must have 'run' about a mile all game. The best thing their manager could do is drop the lazy so and so. Sweeney will retire soon, he shouldn't need to work again, he should have played most of his career in the championship earning a ten figure weekly wage yet he's scratching around, playing part time non league football at barely 30 years old. What a waste of talent.

Anyway, Sweeney aside I do think 4-3-3 suits the squad (aside from Ross Hannah) but I am concerned we will not create enough chances against the better sides as for me, we still have the problem that the wider forwards aren't getting close enough to Lenny. In fact, they seem to be hugging the touchline and we look more of a 4-5-1. Also, despite playing a holding midfielder, the other two central midfielders aren't really pushing on into the 18 yard box as often as they should. Small tweaks are needed, but it's been a while now and the players don't seem to be taking it on board.
Posted by: mariner91, November 3, 2014, 10:23am; Reply: 42
Quoted from 75

Agree, Saturday was a stroll in the park. I thought Dartford were awful and will probably be relegated. I thought Peter Sweeney was a disgrace, he showed touches well above this level but wasn't prepared to do any graft at all when his team mates needed him to dig in. When they made the double substitution after about 65 minutes, Sweeney was looking over and seemed gutted his number wasn't up. He must have 'run' about a mile all game. The best thing their manager could do is drop the lazy so and so. Sweeney will retire soon, he shouldn't need to work again, he should have played most of his career in the championship earning a ten figure weekly wage yet he's scratching around, playing part time non league football at barely 30 years old. What a waste of talent.

Anyway, Sweeney aside I do think 4-3-3 suits the squad (aside from Ross Hannah) but I am concerned we will not create enough chances against the better sides as for me, we still have the problem that the wider forwards aren't getting close enough to Lenny. In fact, they seem to be hugging the touchline and we look more of a 4-5-1. Also, despite playing a holding midfielder, the other two central midfielders aren't really pushing on into the 18 yard box as often as they should. Small tweaks are needed, but it's been a while now and the players don't seem to be taking it on board.

He had ability but a ten figure weekly wage?!
Posted by: 75 (Guest), November 3, 2014, 10:31am; Reply: 43
Quoted from mariner91

Nowadays mate, that's an average championship midfielders wage. Personally, I think he had enough ability to play at that level for a number of years. Don't you?
Posted by: Maringer, November 3, 2014, 10:50am; Reply: 44
Ten figures indicates a wage of at least £1,000,000,000 per week.

Wish I'd spent more time kicking a ball around if that's the money on offer for a second tier player!  ;)
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, November 3, 2014, 10:58am; Reply: 45
Quoted from Maringer
Ten figures indicates a wage of at least £1,000,000,000 per week.

Wish I'd spent more time kicking a ball around if that's the money on offer for a second tier player!  ;)

and then there's add-ons eg £200m if he scores, £50m for an assist
Posted by: mariner91, November 3, 2014, 11:36am; Reply: 46
Quoted from 75

Nowadays mate, that's an average championship midfielders wage. Personally, I think he had enough ability to play at that level for a number of years. Don't you?

He definitely had the ability. But think about how much ten figures is  ;) .
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 3, 2014, 3:30pm; Reply: 47
so many positive comments on this thread is scary !

Magnay best since McDermott ?

Arnold's goal was brilliant, like the shops at Torquay, if in the Premiership, the pundits would of loved it !

Pittman looked eager to get the ball when come on which was good to see, and there just seems to be a positive vibe with the players and staff.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, November 3, 2014, 3:32pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from 137
Very pleased with the 3 points and a more-than-useful contribution from Pell.

Final thoughts: if we're going to play 433 well I think we'll need Brown to be in the team; wonder how Paddy feels about Pell's
signing and start?

i would like to think Paddy is happy for more fight for a position, i like to think any Professional likes to have to work for his place
Posted by: RoboCod, November 3, 2014, 3:45pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from mariner91

Those donuts ain't cheap.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 7:40am