6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner tommy
October 26, 2014, 7:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,871
Gold Stars: 13
I think we did in the second half with Jack running to the goal line on on one side and Aswad pushing up further with Arnold inside him.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
Abdul19
October 26, 2014, 7:38pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
My thinking 80s, was that if we're after width, Neilson on the right would be less inclined to cut inside because he'd be going onto his wrong foot.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
October 26, 2014, 7:50pm
Guest User
Can see the logic...
Perhaps I'm wrong, I just can' t see him beating a player and putting in crosses like Mackreth does.
Whether Neilson should be afforded freedom to roam and express himself or just stick to playing his position appears to be a good question.
At a very wild guess, I think we'll end up with him in a 4-3-3.
Reply: 42 - 51
Abdul19
October 26, 2014, 8:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,560
Gold Stars: 216
I think even if he's right or left in a 4 man midfield, he'll always roam to some extent. Kevin Donovan was very good at this (so maybe my right footed point was nonsense!)

Mackreth should beat players and put crosses in, but he hasn't done it as much as I'd expected.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
October 26, 2014, 8:20pm
Guest User
Yeah was gonna say the same about Neilson's roaming tbh but didn't want to waffle on !

So have we come full circle back to where we started ?  
Gonna be interesting, I'm treating it as a fact finding mission...
Reply: 44 - 51
October 26, 2014, 8:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner tommy
I think we did in the second half with Jack running to the goal line on on one side and Aswad pushing up further with Arnold inside him.

UTM

Not saying we didn't.
All I'm saying is perhaps you won't always be able to get round the sides of teams and tbf, Guiseley's full back was slow.

Buckley knew about movement and how to play it into feet around the box.
Not saying it's easy but in that respect the bar is set, perhaps we just need to move closer towards it...
Reply: 45 - 51
mimma
October 26, 2014, 8:53pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
I think that we looked better in the 2nd. half because we made them chase the ball for long periods, which knackered them.

We kept the ball, moved it about & waited for them to run out of steam. Then we picked them off at will, which is the way to play in this type of game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
diehardmariner
October 27, 2014, 1:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,612
Gold Stars: 538
I must have seen a different performance from Neilson to everyone else in the first half as I thought he was absolutely atrocious!  I say this as big fan of his and that little bit of magic he brings to the team, especially when we're guilty of lacking any sort of creativity without him.

In all teams I think you have to give a bit of licence to your 'better' players and compensate with the more graft like players, no disputing that.  I also think expecting players like Neilson to run up and down like a hare, much like the performances Joe Colbeck gave, would be a waste of his abilities.  However when he stands watching an opposition player waltz past him without so much of an effort to track, tackle or even make a weak gesture of interest he can't expect to be involved in the side.  This wasn't just a one-off occasion in the first half either, happened a handful of times.

I'm sure some will argue that any possible lack of interest in doing the dirty side of the game may be a result of Hurst's treatment of him.  My answer would be that perhaps his lack of willing to roll up his sleeves and prove people wrong is the exact reason someone with League One technical ability is still in the Conference at his age.

Arnold came on and looked like a man with a point to prove.  He was everywhere, defending from the front and looking to make space for himself.   With him getting more game time under his belt, Pittman's return from injury and Hurst's recent preference for 4-3-3, I think Neilson could well find himself spending a bit more time warming the bench.

Over to Neilson to see how he reacts.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
Maringer
October 27, 2014, 1:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
Not Neilson's best performance, but he still did manage to put in a couple of decent crosses and his free-kick forced a reasonable save as well.

Regardless of who starts the games, I think it is now very good to see that we have 3 wingers fit and available for the first time this season! At this level, you can't expect good performances from the attackers every week so having an alternative option on the bench has got to be a great benefit. I think both Arnold and Neilson can probably play either side as well so that extra flexibility is useful.

Let's hope that the competition for a place sees improved form from all the wingers!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
BIGChris
October 27, 2014, 1:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Very much reading between the lines but it seems Nielson isnt following the managers instructions and it is that which is causing the issues.

I'd add that i wasnt there on Saturday but PH's comments about the need to stay wide and stretch the opposition and taking Nielson off at h-t were very much connected (similar to the Southport game methinks)
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.