KingstonMariner
October 25, 2014, 10:15pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from 120797
He's just scored contender for goal of the season ?!!

Have to say just because LJL gets unfair treatment in certain quarters, I don't see the point in castigating Hannah (or any player) after 1 disappointing game.

Similarly LJL's worth should now be abundantly clear and whose benefit to the team surely should not need to be continually justified or promoted.
All this "LJL would have got stick for that" mammary for tat is unproductive sillyness IMO.

Good points sir.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 51
barralad
October 25, 2014, 11:15pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,195
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from 120797
He's just scored contender for goal of the season ?!!

Have to say just because LJL gets unfair treatment in certain quarters, I don't see the point in castigating Hannah (or any player) after 1 disappointing game.

Similarly LJL's worth should now be abundantly clear and whose benefit to the team surely should not need to be continually justified or promoted.
All this "LJL would have got stick for that" mammary for tat is unproductive sillyness IMO.

I don't think it is so much a case of comparisons between the two nowadays. When Ross wasn't getting in the team his supporters were saying that he needed a chance and hadn't done anything wrong to merit not being played. Since he has had this run in the side he hasn't staked a claim to be the first name in Hurst's attacking thoughts. No-one with an ounce of fairness would deny that he tries hard but for whatever reason it just isn't happening for him at the mo. (Lincoln Lincs cup excepted). I'm not at all sure his style and LJL's are compatible for a front two. I can see him struggling for game time again when Pittman is fully fit...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 51
moosey_club
October 25, 2014, 11:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220
well....
for my money...
first half very much a pre season feel to it...Guiseley...woeful...how on earth they have been undefeated in so long i dont know...how on earth LJL or Hannah didnt score in the first half i also dont know, should have been four up realistically..also have to agree with Les ..Makreth for me very lucky to see the 2nd half as i thought he was poor, had plenty of the ball but predictable.. goes outside every time and managed 1 decent cross all game...seriously disappointing signing for me.
Evident on the first half performance that we only had Neilson capable of running with the ball and we didnt have the upper hand pace wise in any attacking area.
Second half...Arnold made the difference, cool calm and collected on the ball adding some quality to the attacking third ad committing defenders at will. Disappointed LJL was taken off when on a hattrick but i guess Hurst may have been wanting to give Hannah a bit longer to get a goal for confidence sake...which never looked likely, poor today i thought.
Ultimately a comfortable win, nice to see some variation on formation second half, missed Browns energy i thought.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 51
October 26, 2014, 12:29am
Guest User
Quoted from barralad

I don't think it is so much a case of comparisons between the two nowadays. When Ross wasn't getting in the team his supporters were saying that he needed a chance and hadn't done anything wrong to merit not being played. Since he has had this run in the side he hasn't staked a claim to be the first name in Hurst's attacking thoughts. No-one with an ounce of fairness would deny that he tries hard but for whatever reason it just isn't happening for him at the mo. (Lincoln Lincs cup excepted). I'm not at all sure his style and LJL's are compatible for a front two. I can see him struggling for game time again when Pittman is fully fit...

Well I'm sure you're right about the last point.

You also make a very fair point his league form has been disappointing.

I'd just be wary of dare I say, flip flopping from 1 match to another on the basis of "whether it's happening", surely either the Lincs cup matters or it doesn't...

Some argue he needs a run in the team, you seem to think he already has.
I won't delve into the archives to cast judgement - I really don't know !

But I don't currently see a lack of goalscoring form on show if that's the heart of the issue.

To be fair LJL has the attributes to take his goals and certainly did today but taking nothing away from him, you might also wonder if they were virtually on a plate.

I just wonder are we in danger of prematurely pulling the plug on Hannah ?
I guess the majority will say no and admit it's harder to justify a starting place but I really think he did a lot better today than he's getting credit for.
I also noticed he played a delightful reverse pass 1st half within the first 2 mins of highlights on MP.

When all is said and done he's a skilful player and offers a lot more than just trying hard.
Reply: 23 - 51
RichMariner
October 26, 2014, 1:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
I feel for Ross Hannah a bit. I didn't think he was that bad today; he just needs a goal to get him going again. The effort was there - and that's better than jogging around looking half-arsed. Now Pittman's back it creates a bit more competition for places up front.

Couldn't really criticise any of the players' performances today. Don't think we saw what Guiseley were capable of, but having listened to their manage's post-match interview it seems their striker Adam Boyes wasn't fully fit and they had both central defenders injured for the match (Ellis and Hall). Still expected them to offer a bit more of a challenge, but they looked a bit toothless going forward.

But I wonder how much of that was through our own good play. It wasn't a vintage performance by any means but we passed it around really well and put in a really professional display. Can't ask for any more than that, really.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 51
DocTower
October 26, 2014, 8:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
I believe the system and style thats been adopted just doesn't suit Ross Hannah . He needs to be fed the ball , not collecting it  . As for being greedy , when he did that sshot with Lewis and Arnold  waiting , why not , he's a striker . When Lewis bundled the ball over for our third he did look frustrsted  . Although Lewis was given the 2 goals on a plate it was Arnold that who has the vision and intelligence .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 51
Maringer
October 26, 2014, 9:02am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
LJL's first goal wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion. I don't think Hannah would have scored that one, for instance, as it is unlikely he'd have been able to chuck himself in and take ball and defender in the same way!

I think that Hannah's work rate is admirable but do wonder if his goalscoring suffers from the running he puts in. I seem to recall that he didn't do quite as much work closing down the opposition defenders during his initial successful spell with us? One thing is certain, I can't really see the point in letting him take free-kicks because he just doesn't ever look like scoring from them!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 51
Alfie
October 26, 2014, 9:07am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from Maringer
LJL's first goal wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion. I don't think Hannah would have scored that one, for instance, as it is unlikely he'd have been able to chuck himself in and take ball and defender in the same way!

I think that Hannah's work rate is admirable but do wonder if his goalscoring suffers from the running he puts in. I seem to recall that he didn't do quite as much work closing down the opposition defenders during his initial successful spell with us? One thing is certain, I can't really see the point in letting him take free-kicks because he just doesn't ever look like scoring from them!

THIS!

It's absolutely infuriating. As is his greediness to often just look down to try and find a way to get a shot off when there are much better options.

As mentioned, I admire Aswad's persistence for telling Ross to back the feck off from free-kicks.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 51
psgmariner
October 26, 2014, 9:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 33
I think part of Hannah's problem is that his 100s of goals early in his career came against crap teams with crap keepers. Simply getting half decent strikes on target isn't enough once you come up against better keepers.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 51
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 26, 2014, 9:22am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from psgmariner
I think part of Hannah's problem is that his 100s of goals early in his career came against crap teams with crap keepers. Simply getting half decent strikes on target isn't enough once you come up against better keepers.

Understand what your saying mate, just hasn't made the step up like Hearn for example

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.