Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 25, 2014, 6:45pm
Various reports dotted around so I'll start a new one...

Agree 1st half was a bit dire, was a lack of urgency for me and felt slightly disappointed.
Came out more positive 2nd half.
Guiseley played some good passing stuff around the box for a while at 0-2 but generally, I expected more from them.

Quick rundown...

McKeown - Good save 2nd half !
Thomas - Didn't get forward massively but did ok.
Pearson - Solid performance with some good distribution.
Nsiala - Again made a couple of minor errors in defence ! Playing some good passes into feet from the back.
Magnay - Very good solid game...
Neilson - Perhaps guilty of trying too much 1st half.
Slightly suprised he came off - was this because of the "width" issue Hurst mentioned post match ?
Clay - Has good vision but misplaced a few passes. Not his greatest game but is a good stopper to have.
Disley - Generally a good game, passing it sensibly. Unlucky not to score from Arnold's delivery.
Mackreth - Liked his contribution, movement and passing. Ran more 2nd half with a delightful cross for the 1st goal.  
Hannah - Worked hard and linked up well. Got a couple of long range efforts on target but didn't have his shooing boots today and perhaps a little guilty of greed on a couple of occasions.
LJL - Actually thought the 2 goals slightly flattered his overall performance. Didn't have a great touch and missed one good chance 1st half but showed a lot of fight in the tackle and in the area to get his goals.
Arnold - Disappointed he didn't start but played his part in all 3 goals. Probably should have scored from LJL's goal and slowly getting the impression his skill and trickery outweighs his goalscoring ability.
Also impressed by his corner delivery.

Subs little to report...
Arnold or Magnay MOM for me...

Well done Town.
Posted by: mariner tommy, October 25, 2014, 6:51pm; Reply: 1
Largely agree with that but I think you're being very generous to Hannah, it's the worst I've seen him play today.
Arnold, scored one and two assists I think.
And definitely Magnay MOM, I cannot believe the way he plays, always spot on and must be a candidate for player of the year if he carries on like this.
How is it that LJL wasn't offside for his second goal ?, he looked to be stood on the goal line from where I was sat when he put it in.

UTM
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 25, 2014, 7:01pm; Reply: 2
Certainly not a great game but I thought Hannah's outfield contribution was generally good.
I also like how when the ball is about to drop, he often gets his body in front of the defender to win the ball.

Will be interesting to review LJL's goal on the highlights.
Posted by: WappingMariner, October 25, 2014, 7:06pm; Reply: 3
In the first half we lacked creativity and movement. Neilson, limited on the left, naturally cut inside which left Aswad exposed at left back. I firmly believe that Neilson can only play behind two strikers, at the tip of a diamond or in front of three central midfielders. He is most effective in a central but roaming position, where he needn't worry too much about defending or filling for players when they overlap him. Good and bold decision by Hurst to replace him with Arnold at HT. Arnold gave the side more balance and looked exciting every time he sprinted down the left side. Played vital role in all three goals, taking the lead with a header after good work from Mackreth on the right. Mackreth needs to get forward more. He didn't get to the byline until the 40th minute. LJL still holds the ball up as good as he ever has but he's now getting into goalscoring positions and that was the difference today. Magnay's cameo appearance in front of the back four when Walker came on towards the end is something we could and should utilise more, especially when defending a lead.
Posted by: DocTower, October 25, 2014, 7:07pm; Reply: 4
Wrote report then pressed delete , buddy .

First half like a pre season game . Rough uncompromising side niggley . Arnold made the difference . Lewis scored no bundled two fortuitous goals made by Arnold . We missed Brown , Hannah very busy but trying too hard  . The front 2 as a pair doesn't work . Disley did what Disley does slowed the game down , Makreth put some nice crosses into the box , Clay and Magnay solid as were the back 4 .

Got through with no bookings and hopefully no injuries .
Posted by: tarka, October 25, 2014, 7:07pm; Reply: 5
I thought LJL was superb and fully justified MOM. There was the occasional miscontrol maybe but that's understandable in some of the situations he found himself in.  Held the ball up well, some good flick ons and never say die attitude.  Hannah was poor and I would imagine Nielson's apparent inability to remain out wide resulted in his substitution.
Posted by: barralad, October 25, 2014, 7:13pm; Reply: 6
Definite game of two halves. First half as frustrating as any one half this season. Second half much better with Arnold making the difference. He seems very laid back (i.e. he doesn't run around everywhere) but give him the ball things happen. Great instinct for the first goal. LJL is on fire at the moment. I expected the offside flag for his second goal and, judging by the fact he didn't celebrate straightaway so he did he.
Disappointed with Guiseley. They played some pretty stuff early on but didn't go all out to win or defend in depth so got caught between the two stools.
Magnay superb again. Disley put in a very good performance as Brown's replacement. (I don't get this "His legs have gone")
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 25, 2014, 7:15pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from WappingMariner
Magnay's cameo appearance in front of the back four when Walker came on towards the end is something we could and should utilise more, especially when defending a lead.

Maybe so.
I also wonder if Clay could do a similar job.
Just wonder if there's any reason Hurst prefers Magnay over Clay in that position.
Posted by: Civvy at last, October 25, 2014, 7:17pm; Reply: 8
Solid performance today and never looked in any danger of losing.  Town the better side but seemed to lack any urgency in first 45. Said at half time that providing we picked it up we should win fairly easily.

Arnold got my MOTM but guessed that LJL might be given it.  Thought Hannah was particularly poor today. Missed a very good chance that the shop would be slated for !!  

Pleased to see Mackreth finally taking his on his man on the outside and whipping the ball in.  Indeed it was such a move that lead to our first.  Think you'll find that LJL was behind Arnold as he played the ball across for our third (his 2nd), thus not offside.  Felt a bit sorry for LJL being subbed just after scoring his second.  However, it shows that PH can be harsh when needed.  At 3-0 and cruising it gave him the chance to give the pope a run out.
Good to see a good reception for Danny Boshell when he went off.  Also, fair play to the Guiseley fans, singing all the way through.

Nice to see a confident performance against a team that is only one league below us. If we can keep Aswad and Arnold fit we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.
Posted by: barralad, October 25, 2014, 7:18pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from 120797
Certainly not a great game but I thought Hannah's outfield contribution was generally good.
I also like how when the ball is about to drop, he often gets his body in front of the defender to win the ball.

Will be interesting to review LJL's goal on the highlights.

We will have to agree to differ. By far the least effective Town player on the pitch. Contrast his headless chicken style with Arnold's measured approach.
He shouldn't take free kicks because he can't!
Summed up for me when he bore down on goal with LJL and Arnold in better positions and fired in a weak effort...
Posted by: mariner tommy, October 25, 2014, 7:19pm; Reply: 10
Pleased to see Boshell get a good round of applause as well.

UTM
Posted by: immariner, October 25, 2014, 7:23pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from WappingMariner
Magnay's cameo appearance in front of the back four when Walker came on towards the end is something we could and should utilise more, especially when defending a lead.

Excellent Wapper! Not being at the game today I didn't realise that this had happened and was going to pose the question whether, with his abilities, people thought that Magnay would make a good defensive/holding midfield player?

I guess PH does.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 25, 2014, 7:28pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from barralad

We will have to agree to differ. By far the least effective Town player on the pitch. Contrast his headless chicken style with Arnold's measured approach.
Summed up for me when he bore down on goal with LJL and Arnold in better positions and fired in a weak effort...

Not sure if we disagree as such ?
I certainly agree he could have done better on a few occasions.
What "headless chicken" means I'm not sure - I don't think it hurts to have a player chasing and pressing defenders and he's doing it very well.
From that perspective, I'm not sure he looked as ineffective as others who looked static first half.
Like Mackreth, think his outfield contribution is under-rated and goals aside, thought he was no less effective than LJL was in outfield play, even from a "hold up" perspective.
Hey ho it's all about opinions but didn't his flick on help make the 1st goal ?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 25, 2014, 7:36pm; Reply: 13
Was it trialling a system in a competitive match??
Very well done to RH for doing this if so

On a negative note, once again very frustrated with the tune in app.

But, very well done again boys. Name in the hat for the 1st round again.  So begs the question, do we want a money spinning game (maybe on TV I.e Coventry, Bristol City, Sheff utd etc) or do we want an easy winnable tie (East Thurrock, Bromley or scunts)
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 25, 2014, 7:49pm; Reply: 14
Don't know if Neilson was injured but I was questioning why he'd gone off at half-time rather than Mackreth, who'd offered nothing in the first half in my opinion, but fair play to PH as Mackreth did excellent for the first goal and was much improved 2nd half.

Let's hope Arnold can keep up this sort of form as he totally changed the game 2nd half when he came on.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 25, 2014, 8:35pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from barralad

Agreed. When he was on loan I can't remember him working that hard, but he'd pop up in the box to score. Since then it seems the harder he's worked the less end product there's been!

As for the free kicks, I admire Thomas' persistence in offering to take them!
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 25, 2014, 9:00pm; Reply: 16
He's just scored contender for goal of the season ?!! ??)

Have to say just because LJL gets unfair treatment in certain quarters, I don't see the point in castigating Hannah (or any player) after 1 disappointing game.

Similarly LJL's worth should now be abundantly clear and whose benefit to the team surely should not need to be continually justified or promoted.
All this "LJL would have got stick for that" mammary for tat is unproductive sillyness IMO.

Posted by: Abdul19, October 25, 2014, 9:04pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 120797

Goals in delayed pre-season friendlies don't count ;)
Posted by: bax, October 25, 2014, 9:07pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from 120797

Have to say just because LJL gets unfair treatment in certain quarters, I don't see the point in castigating Hannah (or any player) after 1 disappointing game.

Similarly LJL's worth should now be abundantly clear and whose benefit to the team surely should not need to be continually justified or promoted.
All this "LJL would have got stick for that" mammary for tat is unproductive sillyness IMO.

In my opinion he hasn't been at the races since he scored against Huddersfield in January. He's a confidence player and when he gets a run in the team he scores goals. When he's in and out as he has been for a while, he's less effective. I thought he wasn't particularly good today, made lots of poor choices, poor finishing and awful free kicks. With JPP back fit his position will be in jeopardy again.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 25, 2014, 9:10pm; Reply: 19
Also, top marks to the Guiseley fan(s) who randomly displayed a Space Ibiza flag (coolp)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 25, 2014, 10:15pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from 120797

Good points sir.
Posted by: barralad, October 25, 2014, 11:15pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 120797

I don't think it is so much a case of comparisons between the two nowadays. When Ross wasn't getting in the team his supporters were saying that he needed a chance and hadn't done anything wrong to merit not being played. Since he has had this run in the side he hasn't staked a claim to be the first name in Hurst's attacking thoughts. No-one with an ounce of fairness would deny that he tries hard but for whatever reason it just isn't happening for him at the mo. (Lincoln Lincs cup excepted). I'm not at all sure his style and LJL's are compatible for a front two. I can see him struggling for game time again when Pittman is fully fit...
Posted by: moosey_club, October 25, 2014, 11:24pm; Reply: 22
well....
for my money...
first half very much a pre season feel to it...Guiseley...woeful...how on earth they have been undefeated in so long i dont know...how on earth LJL or Hannah didnt score in the first half i also dont know, should have been four up realistically..also have to agree with Les ..Makreth for me very lucky to see the 2nd half as i thought he was poor, had plenty of the ball but predictable.. goes outside every time and managed 1 decent cross all game...seriously disappointing signing for me.
Evident on the first half performance that we only had Neilson capable of running with the ball and we didnt have the upper hand pace wise in any attacking area.
Second half...Arnold made the difference, cool calm and collected on the ball adding some quality to the attacking third ad committing defenders at will. Disappointed LJL was taken off when on a hattrick but i guess Hurst may have been wanting to give Hannah a bit longer to get a goal for confidence sake...which never looked likely, poor today i thought.
Ultimately a comfortable win, nice to see some variation on formation second half, missed Browns energy i thought.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 26, 2014, 12:29am; Reply: 23
Quoted from barralad

I don't think it is so much a case of comparisons between the two nowadays. When Ross wasn't getting in the team his supporters were saying that he needed a chance and hadn't done anything wrong to merit not being played. Since he has had this run in the side he hasn't staked a claim to be the first name in Hurst's attacking thoughts. No-one with an ounce of fairness would deny that he tries hard but for whatever reason it just isn't happening for him at the mo. (Lincoln Lincs cup excepted). I'm not at all sure his style and LJL's are compatible for a front two. I can see him struggling for game time again when Pittman is fully fit...

Well I'm sure you're right about the last point.

You also make a very fair point his league form has been disappointing.

I'd just be wary of dare I say, flip flopping from 1 match to another on the basis of "whether it's happening", surely either the Lincs cup matters or it doesn't...

Some argue he needs a run in the team, you seem to think he already has.
I won't delve into the archives to cast judgement - I really don't know !

But I don't currently see a lack of goalscoring form on show if that's the heart of the issue.

To be fair LJL has the attributes to take his goals and certainly did today but taking nothing away from him, you might also wonder if they were virtually on a plate.

I just wonder are we in danger of prematurely pulling the plug on Hannah ?
I guess the majority will say no and admit it's harder to justify a starting place but I really think he did a lot better today than he's getting credit for.
I also noticed he played a delightful reverse pass 1st half within the first 2 mins of highlights on MP.

When all is said and done he's a skilful player and offers a lot more than just trying hard.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 26, 2014, 1:28am; Reply: 24
I feel for Ross Hannah a bit. I didn't think he was that bad today; he just needs a goal to get him going again. The effort was there - and that's better than jogging around looking half-arsed. Now Pittman's back it creates a bit more competition for places up front.

Couldn't really criticise any of the players' performances today. Don't think we saw what Guiseley were capable of, but having listened to their manage's post-match interview it seems their striker Adam Boyes wasn't fully fit and they had both central defenders injured for the match (Ellis and Hall). Still expected them to offer a bit more of a challenge, but they looked a bit toothless going forward.

But I wonder how much of that was through our own good play. It wasn't a vintage performance by any means but we passed it around really well and put in a really professional display. Can't ask for any more than that, really.
Posted by: DocTower, October 26, 2014, 8:12am; Reply: 25
I believe the system and style thats been adopted just doesn't suit Ross Hannah . He needs to be fed the ball , not collecting it  . As for being greedy , when he did that sshot with Lewis and Arnold  waiting , why not , he's a striker . When Lewis bundled the ball over for our third he did look frustrsted  . Although Lewis was given the 2 goals on a plate it was Arnold that who has the vision and intelligence .
Posted by: Maringer, October 26, 2014, 9:02am; Reply: 26
LJL's first goal wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion. I don't think Hannah would have scored that one, for instance, as it is unlikely he'd have been able to chuck himself in and take ball and defender in the same way!

I think that Hannah's work rate is admirable but do wonder if his goalscoring suffers from the running he puts in. I seem to recall that he didn't do quite as much work closing down the opposition defenders during his initial successful spell with us? One thing is certain, I can't really see the point in letting him take free-kicks because he just doesn't ever look like scoring from them!
Posted by: Alfie, October 26, 2014, 9:07am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Maringer
LJL's first goal wasn't exactly a foregone conclusion. I don't think Hannah would have scored that one, for instance, as it is unlikely he'd have been able to chuck himself in and take ball and defender in the same way!

I think that Hannah's work rate is admirable but do wonder if his goalscoring suffers from the running he puts in. I seem to recall that he didn't do quite as much work closing down the opposition defenders during his initial successful spell with us? One thing is certain, I can't really see the point in letting him take free-kicks because he just doesn't ever look like scoring from them!

THIS!

It's absolutely infuriating. As is his greediness to often just look down to try and find a way to get a shot off when there are much better options.

As mentioned, I admire Aswad's persistence for telling Ross to back the feck off from free-kicks.  ;D
Posted by: psgmariner, October 26, 2014, 9:13am; Reply: 28
I think part of Hannah's problem is that his 100s of goals early in his career came against crap teams with crap keepers. Simply getting half decent strikes on target isn't enough once you come up against better keepers.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, October 26, 2014, 9:22am; Reply: 29
Quoted from psgmariner
I think part of Hannah's problem is that his 100s of goals early in his career came against crap teams with crap keepers. Simply getting half decent strikes on target isn't enough once you come up against better keepers.

Understand what your saying mate, just hasn't made the step up like Hearn for example
Posted by: barralad, October 26, 2014, 9:42am; Reply: 30
It's a shame really that the thread has got caught up in a discussion re:- Ross Hannah. I'd be interested to know where yesterday's second half performance leaves Scott Neilson. In the first half he had Guiseley in all sorts of problems when he ran at them but drifted in and out of the game too often to have any real impact. As others have said he does have a tendency to come inside which loses width. Second half Arnold stayed much wider and did simple things very effectively and we benefited.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 26, 2014, 12:10pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from barralad
It's a shame really that the thread has got caught up in a discussion re:- Ross Hannah. I'd be interested to know where yesterday's second half performance leaves Scott Neilson. In the first half he had Guiseley in all sorts of problems when he ran at them but drifted in and out of the game too often to have any real impact. As others have said he does have a tendency to come inside which loses width. Second half Arnold stayed much wider and did simple things very effectively and we benefited.

Wouldn't mind seeing Neilson on the right with Arnold on the left.
Posted by: RichMariner, October 26, 2014, 4:33pm; Reply: 32
I thought Neilson did ok - but Arnold did much better. Neilson took a free kick which brought out a great save from their keeper, and he put two excellent deliveries into the box (one of them LJL should've buried).

So I was a little bit surprised to see him replaced at half time, but credit must go to Hurst for making that change because it worked.
Posted by: LookBackInAngers, October 26, 2014, 5:16pm; Reply: 33
As most posters have said or implied it wasn't a vintage performance however it's good to be able to win without firing on all cylinders.Credit PH on making good in game changes.Perhaps we might just be seeing the start of Arnolds "real"Town career.Good day and lets have another home tie.
Posted by: DocTower, October 26, 2014, 6:47pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from LookBackInAngers
As most posters have said or implied it wasn't a vintage performance however it's good to be able to win without firing on all cylinders.Credit PH on making good in game changes.Perhaps we might just be seeing the start of Arnolds "real"Town career.Good day and lets have another home tie.

Think you are right with summing up yesterday ,  Did you go ?  I wasn't really sure what to expect  but thought that if Guiseley scored first we would struggle  . We won and now to the first round propper . However it's probably left more questions than answers yet again of who plays where and when .
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 26, 2014, 6:48pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Abdul19

This.
Posted by: Les Brechin, October 26, 2014, 7:04pm; Reply: 36
Got to say that I was a bit disappointed with Guiseley. I thought they'd have a bit more about them than they had yesterday.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 26, 2014, 7:14pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from barralad
I'd be interested to know where yesterday's second half performance leaves Scott Neilson. In the first half he had Guiseley in all sorts of problems when he ran at them but drifted in and out of the game too often to have any real impact. As others have said he does have a tendency to come inside which loses width.

Wondering the same...

Perhaps there's a wider question concerning Neilson's best position.

It's not like the "width" issue hasn't cropped up before.
Always easy to forget it's as much down to the team to feed wingers (spreading the ball) as it is for wingers to take responsibility when they become isolated or have the ball.
But whether that was the case yesterday (like in previous games) I honestly couldn't say, just we looked sharper after H/T.

Perhaps Neilson would be better centrally behind a front man/2 ?
That's where he seems to pop up...
Surely it's no co-incidence he spoke about scoring more goals even before the season started ?

In any case it begs the question what would the ideal team look like ?..

Quoted from Abdul19

And drop Mackreth, that's one option...

tbh not convinced swapping sides will solve the underlying issue of whether Neilson is a 4-4-2 winger, personally I'm not convinced he is.

But even so, it looks strong enough to at least try.
That doesn't mean I would autmoatically drop Mackreth however, another underrated player IMO.
Whatever your opinion it's a round peg in a round hole.

In summary, if Shop and Pope are up front then perhaps either Mackreth makes way or it's 4-3-1-2...? Or Neilson in a 4-3-3 ?

Perhaps the other issue at large is our inability to "unlock" teams.
I don't particularly subscribe to Hurst's view that Guiseley made life difficult, but you can certainly say we've failed to unlock teams who've come to defend in the past.

It's great Hurst made changes and found width yesterday.
But let's remember, we don't always HAVE to go with width, players in the centre can be just as effective.

My point is our wingers couldn't "get round the back" when they played 5/6 at the back before.
Horses for courses...

For me there's a need to continue to also work on unlocking teams through the centre (lest we risk suffering more 0-0 frustrations in the future) and tbh, think we could do worse than watching Guiseley's 10 minute attacking 2nd half spell for inspiration !

The more adaptable we are at adopting different successful playing styles the better IMO.
Posted by: mariner tommy, October 26, 2014, 7:26pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from 120797

we could do worse than watching Guiseley's 10 minute attacking 2nd half spell for inspiration !

The more adaptable we are at adopting different successful playing styles the better IMO.

But we went down the other end and scored because they had pushed forward to try and rescue the game.
The price you pay for all out attacking. Not much inspiration there I'm afraid.

UTM
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 26, 2014, 7:30pm; Reply: 39
Simply suggesting working more on our approach play around the box...
Call it "all out attacking" (?) if you must but breaking down teams who come to defend en masse seems a fair concern.
You'll take the 0-0 at home ?!

In any case we may well find ourselves needing to go all out attack (e.g. if losing) in the future.
A bit of practice on the training ground wouldn't do any harm...
Posted by: mariner tommy, October 26, 2014, 7:34pm; Reply: 40
I think we did in the second half with Jack running to the goal line on on one side and Aswad pushing up further with Arnold inside him.

UTM
Posted by: Abdul19, October 26, 2014, 7:38pm; Reply: 41
My thinking 80s, was that if we're after width, Neilson on the right would be less inclined to cut inside because he'd be going onto his wrong foot.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 26, 2014, 7:50pm; Reply: 42
Can see the logic...
Perhaps I'm wrong, I just can' t see him beating a player and putting in crosses like Mackreth does.
Whether Neilson should be afforded freedom to roam and express himself or just stick to playing his position appears to be a good question.
At a very wild guess, I think we'll end up with him in a 4-3-3.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 26, 2014, 8:10pm; Reply: 43
I think even if he's right or left in a 4 man midfield, he'll always roam to some extent. Kevin Donovan was very good at this (so maybe my right footed point was nonsense!)

Mackreth should beat players and put crosses in, but he hasn't done it as much as I'd expected.
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 26, 2014, 8:20pm; Reply: 44
Yeah was gonna say the same about Neilson's roaming tbh but didn't want to waffle on !

So have we come full circle back to where we started ?  ;D
Gonna be interesting, I'm treating it as a fact finding mission...
Posted by: 120797 (Guest), October 26, 2014, 8:29pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from mariner tommy
I think we did in the second half with Jack running to the goal line on on one side and Aswad pushing up further with Arnold inside him.

UTM

Not saying we didn't.
All I'm saying is perhaps you won't always be able to get round the sides of teams and tbf, Guiseley's full back was slow.

Buckley knew about movement and how to play it into feet around the box.
Not saying it's easy but in that respect the bar is set, perhaps we just need to move closer towards it...
Posted by: mimma, October 26, 2014, 8:53pm; Reply: 46
I think that we looked better in the 2nd. half because we made them chase the ball for long periods, which knackered them.

We kept the ball, moved it about & waited for them to run out of steam. Then we picked them off at will, which is the way to play in this type of game.
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 27, 2014, 1:30pm; Reply: 47
I must have seen a different performance from Neilson to everyone else in the first half as I thought he was absolutely atrocious!  I say this as big fan of his and that little bit of magic he brings to the team, especially when we're guilty of lacking any sort of creativity without him.

In all teams I think you have to give a bit of licence to your 'better' players and compensate with the more graft like players, no disputing that.  I also think expecting players like Neilson to run up and down like a hare, much like the performances Joe Colbeck gave, would be a waste of his abilities.  However when he stands watching an opposition player waltz past him without so much of an effort to track, tackle or even make a weak gesture of interest he can't expect to be involved in the side.  This wasn't just a one-off occasion in the first half either, happened a handful of times.

I'm sure some will argue that any possible lack of interest in doing the dirty side of the game may be a result of Hurst's treatment of him.  My answer would be that perhaps his lack of willing to roll up his sleeves and prove people wrong is the exact reason someone with League One technical ability is still in the Conference at his age.

Arnold came on and looked like a man with a point to prove.  He was everywhere, defending from the front and looking to make space for himself.   With him getting more game time under his belt, Pittman's return from injury and Hurst's recent preference for 4-3-3, I think Neilson could well find himself spending a bit more time warming the bench.

Over to Neilson to see how he reacts.
Posted by: Maringer, October 27, 2014, 1:35pm; Reply: 48
Not Neilson's best performance, but he still did manage to put in a couple of decent crosses and his free-kick forced a reasonable save as well.

Regardless of who starts the games, I think it is now very good to see that we have 3 wingers fit and available for the first time this season! At this level, you can't expect good performances from the attackers every week so having an alternative option on the bench has got to be a great benefit. I think both Arnold and Neilson can probably play either side as well so that extra flexibility is useful.

Let's hope that the competition for a place sees improved form from all the wingers!
Posted by: BIGChris, October 27, 2014, 1:49pm; Reply: 49
Very much reading between the lines but it seems Nielson isnt following the managers instructions and it is that which is causing the issues.

I'd add that i wasnt there on Saturday but PH's comments about the need to stay wide and stretch the opposition and taking Nielson off at h-t were very much connected (similar to the Southport game methinks)
Posted by: oldun, October 27, 2014, 3:48pm; Reply: 50
Scotty likes a good dribble (don't we all?) and his tight control is amazing sometimes. He does however like to go inside all the time. I think maybe he goes inside too early, if he could get nearer to the byline, then pull the ball back onto his right to go inside or put the ball into the danger area, he might be more effective. Currently he goes across the pitch into the area that at the central mids want to take up and everyone stops to see what he is going to do. It is difficult for other players to anticipate where the ball will go next, whereas if he was further up the field when cutting in or releasing the ball other players could get into the box ready.
Posted by: Garth, October 27, 2014, 4:26pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from oldun
Scotty likes a good dribble (don't we all?) and his tight control is amazing sometimes. He does however like to go inside all the time. I think maybe he goes inside too early, if he could get nearer to the byline, then pull the ball back onto his right to go inside or put the ball into the danger area, he might be more effective. Currently he goes across the pitch into the area that at the central mids want to take up and everyone stops to see what he is going to do. It is difficult for other players to anticipate where the ball will go next, whereas if he was further up the field when cutting in or releasing the ball other players could get into the box ready.

Good point, not happy unless he`s running into a crowd of players Gasgoine style but without Paul G`s upper body strengh
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 12:35pm