Abdul19
October 25, 2014, 9:16pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
How about an bookies at the ground? Would need a bookmakers license but beyond that it's not too complicated. All the work to compile odds has been done by all the other bookies, would be simple enough to write some code to pull all those odds together. Would probably have to have a fairly restrictive maximum payout to ensure the trust didn't go bust which could be a problem!

Could the Gut Truster pull a few strings to launch a Laddies backed Trust bookie?!

As for the food, excellent ideas.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
MarinerWY
October 25, 2014, 9:32pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,944
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Paris Mariner

I wouldn't do fish and chips because, trying to keep the community angle, there a lots of chip shops in the area and we wouldn't want to be seen to be undercutting their business.

Fair point, although couldn´t we get one of the local chippies on board to run it? Or even a couple, one for Findus/Ponny, one for Main/Osmond.

I'm not sure... I guess you could argue that any catering at BP would have the same affect because folk that eat a pie and chips during the match aren't as likely to wolf down fish and chips after it.

On the other hand if they wanting to wait for fish and chips, you're right it could impact negatively. But damn it would be great...
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
Paris Mariner
October 25, 2014, 9:42pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
In any case, it's good to get talking about it! Thanks for the replies.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 22 - 58
sutton mariner
October 25, 2014, 9:42pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Agreed 100%. Great idea

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
MarinerWY
October 25, 2014, 9:55pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +1,944
Gold Stars: 45
The ale sounds like something that could be sorted quite quickly given people's mentioned contacts. Must be fairly straightforward to implement in the Trust bar for example?
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
HackneyHaddock
October 26, 2014, 12:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
Some great ideas all round.  I don't get to BP often, but the provision for fans in the Pontoon is quite terrible- forcing people to huddle under the rusty girders in biting wind if they want a drink is an awful way to treat your most vociferous fans.  Compare this to Dartford, where they have a super bar open to both sets of fans where you can get a good range of beers and local ales; i.e. a genuine CLUB.

I would try to find a way of implementing all of the ideas above- local ales, better food, better treatment of the fans.  The club already loses far too much money to McDonalds, BP Hotel and the Imp by having inadequate provision.  This will be tens of thousands of pounds a season leaving the club, with probably several million leeched out of GTFC over the last 30 or so years.

Surely this could all be helped by ending supporter segregation and allowing fans to move around the stands, as happens at other grounds?  That would allow fans from the Pontoon to go in the Main Stand Bar, and to have some Town fans behind the goal at the Osmond.  All of a sudden, it becomes more worthwhile to improve the offering and start getting people in the ground an hour earlier to have a lunch and a pint in front of the early Sky game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
tarka
October 26, 2014, 2:31am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +891
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from MarinerWY
The ale sounds like something that could be sorted quite quickly given people's mentioned contacts. Must be fairly straightforward to implement in the Trust bar for example?

We produced a beer a few years ago - it was called Pontoon Pride and it was made by Tom Woods.  
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
October 26, 2014, 2:37am
Guest User
Quoted from Simariner
Great idea..... We (few that I sit with) have always said how much beneficial it would be to have a small 'Chip Shop' in one corner of the ground.
Proper fish and proper chips would go down a right storm I think. I don't mind paying good money for good food.
At the moment it's expensive cardboard sh1te.

The smell of battered fish with salt and vinegar hmmmmm...

It's a no brainer and it's been said for years.
Not currently being a member of the trust (regularly skint), it's a lot to expect of others IMO.
However if the money is there and people are really prepared to pay (I would personally charge a fortune to kill queues), then in principle why not ?
Large Haddock, Mushy Peas and chips £12
Don't want to pay that ?
Perhaps need to e.g. buy a ticket/food/pint/programme etc £25 all in one package for a good day.

Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Would the Trust have to simply compete with the companies who currently provide the food?

Are there implications ?
Perhaps some competition could be healthy.
Reply: 27 - 58
pizzzza
October 26, 2014, 5:48am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 135
Why the need to get a chip shop to run any chippie at the ground? McMenemys serve fish & chips, surely any served in the stands could be done as an extension of that. Keeps it in-house.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
somersetmariner
October 26, 2014, 6:37am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
As a matter of interest....
what do McMenemys charge for a plate of fish and chips ?
Could we do a smaller portion for take away - what would people be prepared to pay?

A grimsby town ale- is an awesome idea.......for me its a day out experience a pint of gtfc ale, fish and chips....id pay a six quid for that......

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.