October 26, 2014, 7:13am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from somersetmariner
As a matter of interest....
what do McMenemys charge for a plate of fish and chips ?
Could we do a smaller portion for take away - what would people be prepared to pay?

Yesterday it was £15 for fish, chips, peas and bread & butter with tea or coffee.  The piece of fish was huge.

I'm not sure how that compares to somewhere like Steeles?
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
MeanwoodMariner
October 26, 2014, 8:16am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from 120797

Are there implications ?
Perhaps some competition could be healthy.

I think there could well be implications. The connection between the Trust and the Club is so different. The Trust exist purely to benefit the club and works closely with them wherever possible. It's just so different from an independent caterer providing a service that is trying to maximise profit. I'm no expert but it just doesn't feel like there could be a "fair" competition between rival bidders in this environment. For it to get off the ground the club would probably just have to take a punt on the Trust being able to get this right and stop considering rival bids, even if they are a safer bet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
Green27
October 26, 2014, 8:32am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 12
At Woking they have a chippy under the Lesley Godsen Stand. Its run by the local chip shop who have a few around the area, that's always busy and there are two other catering places in the ground which alway seem to be well frequented even with a 1,200 average attendance.

We do the DN35 Podcast
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
somersetmariner
October 26, 2014, 8:42am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from mariner83

Yesterday it was £15 for fish, chips, peas and bread & butter with tea or coffee.  The piece of fish was huge.

I'm not sure how that compares to somewhere like Steeles?

wow 15 for for fish and chips.......that's a lot of money.....but i get it

I reckon you do fish and chips (takeaway)  cost price 1.00
pint of ale take away                                                   0.85
take away container + fork and paper +plastic glass      0.05
Total cost                                                                 1.85 * 1.20 (vat) * 3.14 (69%) Profit = selling price  - 7.00........

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 26, 2014, 9:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
GP mark up on food your ideally looking at approx 70%
Wet (drink) sales your hoping to get 63%

Have mentioned before the fact that we are sponsored by youngs and the fact that JF obviously has/had contacts in the industry too. Bill Parkinson (I seem to recall) used to go and watch town. We have also great local butchers (I think john turner is a town fan : help here lobsterpot) and numerous food producers in the local area.

There's so many ideas that COULD work at the ground with correct organisation/administration with the catering.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 26, 2014, 9:06am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
GP mark up on food your ideally looking at approx 70%
Wet (drink) sales your hoping to get 63%

Have mentioned before the fact that we are sponsored by youngs and the fact that JF obviously has/had contacts in the industry too. Bill Parkinson (I seem to recall) used to go and watch town. We have also great local butchers (I think john turner is a town fan : help here lobsterpot) and numerous food producers in the local area.

There's so many ideas that COULD work at the ground with correct organisation/administration with the catering.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
Mrs Doyle
October 26, 2014, 9:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
One thing is patently obvious Grimsby is famous for being known as Europe's food town our sorry if this offends some but IN MY EXPERIENCE the food at BP is awful and not worth bothering with I'm sure away fans will be as disgusted as we are. Considering we have some superb fish and chip places and equally superb butchers it could  do a lot better job even having a cup of tea is disgusting sorry but that is a fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
Henryscat
October 26, 2014, 9:48am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from somersetmariner

wow 15 for for fish and chips.......that's a lot of money.....but i get it

I reckon you do fish and chips (takeaway)  cost price 1.00
pint of ale take away                                                   0.85
take away container + fork and paper +plastic glass      0.05
Total cost                                                                 1.85 * 1.20 (vat) * 3.14 (69%) Profit = selling price  - 7.00........

Isn't food VAT exempt?

I love this idea though, I do however think some serious market research needs to be done as I can't imagine the friers are a cheap investment and I have no idea on the cost prices you've quoted.

I would think a few trust members have fish rounds and would like to think the trust/the club could use their businesses to not only negotiate a good trade price but also support them and make them a bit of extra cash too (in true community spirit)

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
acko338
October 26, 2014, 9:54am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
I would prefer to pay once for good food & drinks, and not add in all of the indigestion cures on a Saturday or Tuesday night.

Both suppliers (through advertising and sales) and Town ( through contented fans purchasing more goods at a % given to Town by the supplier / vendor) would make money over the season.

Congealed hot chocolate and Bovril lumps at the bottom of a cardboard cup is so tacky and unprofessional.

How many flasks come to the games rather than spending on shoddy food & drinks?  

Carrying water to fill up Burco boilers half way through half time is not a good sales ploy!!

Really missing a big profit trick here, Town !!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
KingstonMariner
October 26, 2014, 11:25am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from HackneyHaddock
Some great ideas all round.  I don't get to BP often, but the provision for fans in the Pontoon is quite terrible- forcing people to huddle under the rusty girders in biting wind if they want a drink is an awful way to treat your most vociferous fans.  Compare this to Dartford, where they have a super bar open to both sets of fans where you can get a good range of beers and local ales; i.e. a genuine CLUB.

I would try to find a way of implementing all of the ideas above- local ales, better food, better treatment of the fans.  The club already loses far too much money to McDonalds, BP Hotel and the Imp by having inadequate provision.  This will be tens of thousands of pounds a season leaving the club, with probably several million leeched out of GTFC over the last 30 or so years.

Surely this could all be helped by ending supporter segregation and allowing fans to move around the stands, as happens at other grounds?  That would allow fans from the Pontoon to go in the Main Stand Bar, and to have some Town fans behind the goal at the Osmond.  All of a sudden, it becomes more worthwhile to improve the offering and start getting people in the ground an hour earlier to have a lunch and a pint in front of the early Sky game.

The thing is with a ground like Dartford is it's all been designed as a coherent whole to start with. Retrofitting facilities at BP won't be so easy.

Supporter desegregation only really happens in non-League: I'm not sure we'd be allowed to do that in the FL. But again, in a new stadium this could be designed in.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Idea for the trust

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.