4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 9, 2014, 9:55am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
If anything this was more depressing than JF's effort.

"We can still challenge for promotion" - notice he does not say we can still actually get promotion, just "challenge" for it.

"Don't get me wrong, it looks tougher but there's a long, long way to go and, if in time, the players can get the belief back that I think is slightly missing, then we've shown we can be a match for most teams in the league." - just whose job is it to give the players "belief"?

"They're two long, tough trips but if we can get a victory against one of those teams, maybe that will give us the lift in confidence that we need at the minute." - One victory? Maybe? Are these the words to inspire players or the faithful who will be trekking alongside the team to the other end of the country?

He's a yorkie as am I and he ought to remember - "If in doubt, say nowt".

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
grimsby pete
October 9, 2014, 10:09am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
If scoring 13 goals in 2 games do not give you confidence,

What will ?

No talk on new striker so no chance of getting promotion imo.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 37
Garth
October 9, 2014, 10:13am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
You know what he would have got more support if he had said, I should have been more active in the search for a striker weeks ago rather than scratting about for someone else`s unwanted, the players are giving their all so I need to look at my methods more closely to find out why its not working
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 37
cmackenzie4
October 9, 2014, 10:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.26
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Course we can still get promotion but Paul needs 2 new strikers and to stop chopping/changing.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 37
grimsby pete
October 9, 2014, 10:36am

Exile
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Course we can still get promotion but Paul needs 2 new strikers and to stop chopping/changing.

Can Hurst change his style Chris,

I think we have the players to get us promoted with the addition of a striker,

If we do go up , it will not be with Hurst.

I am sure the right man could get a lot more out of our players than Paul.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 37
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 9, 2014, 10:49am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Another pointlessly downbeat phrase in the interview "we can be a match for most teams in this league"

I cannot imagine Buckley for example saying anything but "we can be a match for any team in this league".

This constant playing down of expectations represents to me a lack of confidence within the bloke himself. Setting himself lower goals might, he thinks, allow him to claim success but he is not facing reality. Nothing less than promotion this season will be a success for this club. Anything else, even a playoff final defeat, will be a failure because he has had every chance to create his own team to do the job. He can't complain if he is judged by the facts and not his low expectations.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 37
grimps
October 9, 2014, 11:21am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,118
Gold Stars: 46
Another pointlessly downbeat phrase in the interview "we can be a match for most teams in this league"

I cannot imagine Buckley for example saying anything but "we can be a match for any team in this league".

This constant playing down of expectations represents to me a lack of confidence within the bloke himself. Setting himself lower goals might, he thinks, allow him to claim success but he is not facing reality. Nothing less than promotion this season will be a success for this club. Anything else, even a playoff final defeat, will be a failure because he has had every chance to create his own team to do the job. He can't complain if he is judged by the facts and not his low expectations.

The thing is his low expectations are starting to work on some on here !
There are fans on here that would be happy with a mid table finish playing the most boring football ever seen at Blundell park, the only thing is there will only be less than 2000 of them willing to go watch it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 37
BIGChris
October 9, 2014, 11:44am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from grimps

The thing is his low expectations are starting to work on some on here !
There are fans on here that would be happy with a mid table finish playing the most boring football ever seen at Blundell park, the only thing is there will only be less than 2000 of them willing to go watch it.

Are there?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 37
grimsby pete
October 9, 2014, 11:52am

Exile
It will not be long before a home attendance is lower than the amount of season ticket holders we have.

Unless things change of course.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 37
October 9, 2014, 12:16pm
Guest User
If the manager doesn't believe we can win every game, who's going to give the players the confidence and belief that they can?

You need that confidence and belief to win a league, I'd say.
Reply: 9 - 37
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The manager's statement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.