Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 9, 2014, 9:55am
If anything this was more depressing than JF's effort.

"We can still challenge for promotion" - notice he does not say we can still actually get promotion, just "challenge" for it.

"Don't get me wrong, it looks tougher but there's a long, long way to go and, if in time, the players can get the belief back that I think is slightly missing, then we've shown we can be a match for most teams in the league." - just whose job is it to give the players "belief"?

"They're two long, tough trips but if we can get a victory against one of those teams, maybe that will give us the lift in confidence that we need at the minute." - One victory? Maybe? Are these the words to inspire players or the faithful who will be trekking alongside the team to the other end of the country?

He's a yorkie as am I and he ought to remember - "If in doubt, say nowt".
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 9, 2014, 10:09am; Reply: 1
If scoring 13 goals in 2 games do not give you confidence,

What will ?

No talk on new striker so no chance of getting promotion imo.
Posted by: Garth, October 9, 2014, 10:13am; Reply: 2
You know what he would have got more support if he had said, I should have been more active in the search for a striker weeks ago rather than scratting about for someone else`s unwanted, the players are giving their all so I need to look at my methods more closely to find out why its not working
Posted by: cmackenzie4, October 9, 2014, 10:15am; Reply: 3
Course we can still get promotion but Paul needs 2 new strikers and to stop chopping/changing.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 9, 2014, 10:36am; Reply: 4
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Course we can still get promotion but Paul needs 2 new strikers and to stop chopping/changing.

Can Hurst change his style Chris,

I think we have the players to get us promoted with the addition of a striker,

If we do go up , it will not be with Hurst.

I am sure the right man could get a lot more out of our players than Paul.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 9, 2014, 10:49am; Reply: 5
Another pointlessly downbeat phrase in the interview "we can be a match for most teams in this league"

I cannot imagine Buckley for example saying anything but "we can be a match for any team in this league".

This constant playing down of expectations represents to me a lack of confidence within the bloke himself. Setting himself lower goals might, he thinks, allow him to claim success but he is not facing reality. Nothing less than promotion this season will be a success for this club. Anything else, even a playoff final defeat, will be a failure because he has had every chance to create his own team to do the job. He can't complain if he is judged by the facts and not his low expectations.
Posted by: grimps, October 9, 2014, 11:21am; Reply: 6
Another pointlessly downbeat phrase in the interview "we can be a match for most teams in this league"

I cannot imagine Buckley for example saying anything but "we can be a match for any team in this league".

This constant playing down of expectations represents to me a lack of confidence within the bloke himself. Setting himself lower goals might, he thinks, allow him to claim success but he is not facing reality. Nothing less than promotion this season will be a success for this club. Anything else, even a playoff final defeat, will be a failure because he has had every chance to create his own team to do the job. He can't complain if he is judged by the facts and not his low expectations.

The thing is his low expectations are starting to work on some on here !
There are fans on here that would be happy with a mid table finish playing the most boring football ever seen at Blundell park, the only thing is there will only be less than 2000 of them willing to go watch it.
Posted by: BIGChris, October 9, 2014, 11:44am; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimps

The thing is his low expectations are starting to work on some on here !
There are fans on here that would be happy with a mid table finish playing the most boring football ever seen at Blundell park, the only thing is there will only be less than 2000 of them willing to go watch it.

Are there?
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 9, 2014, 11:52am; Reply: 8
It will not be long before a home attendance is lower than the amount of season ticket holders we have.

Unless things change of course.
Posted by: 137 (Guest), October 9, 2014, 12:16pm; Reply: 9
If the manager doesn't believe we can win every game, who's going to give the players the confidence and belief that they can?

You need that confidence and belief to win a league, I'd say.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 9, 2014, 12:43pm; Reply: 10
Those comments from Paul Hurst are exactly why I won't be back until he's a. signed two strikers or b. got lucky - he's as inspirational as a wet dishcloth.
Posted by: jimgtfc, October 9, 2014, 1:20pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Those comments from Paul Hurst are exactly why I won't be back until he's a. signed two strikers or b. got lucky - he's as inspirational as a wet dishcloth.

Yeah that'll help...
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 9, 2014, 1:37pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah that'll help...

No it won't, but if he's as inspirational with the players as he is with the fans, then we've got no hope.

You can imagine the pre-match talk ' Well I've told the press that I think we'll struggle to beat Woking at home, but go and give it your best, that's all I ask, I've covered your arses for you for now'
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 9, 2014, 1:39pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from BIGChris

Are there?

Well Chris, I can remember when people said it would never happen that we would  get regular gates of less that 6k then 5k and then 4k. The logical next step if we keep sliding down the league slope is .................

Disenchantment does breed apathy and there's plenty of it around.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, October 9, 2014, 3:06pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from BIGChris

Are there?

Think what Grimps is implying is that we have a hard core of fans that will attend BP no matter what is being served up in respect of quality. A bit like when I was growing up & always watched my local village side even if they were getting thrashed all the time.
Posted by: BIGChris, October 9, 2014, 6:47pm; Reply: 15
I just don't think there are people on here, or anywhere, who will be happy with a mid table finish
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 9, 2014, 6:50pm; Reply: 16
I will only be happy with promotion,

Anything less will be a failure.
Posted by: mariner2000, October 9, 2014, 6:51pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from grimsby pete
It will not be long before a home attendance is lower than the amount of season ticket holders we have.

Unless things change of course.

I know what you mean but don't the club count season ticket holders as "present" regardless of whether they are there as they are sold tickets?  If that is still the case imagine how many might have actually walked through the turnstiles on Tuesday....
Posted by: mariner2000, October 9, 2014, 7:00pm; Reply: 18

Glad you picked that up as I was going to say the same, why should we only be a match for most teams, did he set out at the beginning of the season writing off games against those we can't match??  No wonder the players are downbeat .

"It's Dover lads we might be at home but I've worked out we have no chance against this lot so I've not bothered with the tactics, just have a quick prayer and go out and try not to get hammered"..."for the match against tAltrincham, I've also worked out that we're no match for them but I've decided to gamble on using tactics, we'll go 1 up front as we won't score against them so it's everyone to defend, if you do get the ball lob it to LJL as usual and he'll figure out something to do with it, the rest of you legit forward if you like but make sure you legit back quick as this lot are too good for us"....."anyone remember who's in goal and which dugout I'm in?"
Posted by: chaos33, October 9, 2014, 8:43pm; Reply: 19
Jeez, if this doesn't make your blood f***ing curdle if you're a long-standing Town fan. If you thought Fenty's statement was asinine, Hurst tops it with an unwitting glimpse into the psycholgy of his management and low-rent expectations. Here it is - the ethos at the heart of the club. The manager thinks we lack self-belief, but then states that he thinks we are a match for most sides in the conference and that we can 'challenge for the play-offs'! And, the Chairman endorses it and sustains it! And people wonder why we're mid table?!

Here are all the answers. The low ambition, low expectation, mediocre standards, hope-for-the-best drivers that prop up the club. Evidently, it's too much to state that "We know we can beat anyone', or "We'll be aiming for two wins in the next two games", or "People don't want to play us" and words to that effect. I'll tell you what Paul Hurst and John Fenty; you reap what you sow in football. If you wonder about self belief and confidence, why not set a shining example? Where's the fight? The spirit? The confidence and pride? It has to come from within. No, if we try hard we can give most teams a good game?! The Club have to manifest self belief and share it with the supporters, but instead, this guff.

Honestly, it's right at the heart of the issue - the stinking lack of vision, ambition and drive at this club, and the tolerance of this small-time thinking. It accounts for our middling, go-nowhere situation to a large extent. Fenty accepts it and wants to retain it, and he expects you and me to go along with it too. Just a bit longer. Keep the faith. We're a match for most teams.

No thanks. Not for me. It's pathetic and it's infuriating. (icon_frown)
Posted by: mariner2000, October 9, 2014, 9:15pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from chaos33
Jeez, if this doesn't make your blood f***ing curdle if you're a long-standing Town fan. If you thought Fenty's statement was asinine, Hurst tops it with an unwitting glimpse into the psycholgy of his management and low-rent expectations. Here it is - the ethos at the heart of the club. The manager thinks we lack self-belief, but then states that he thinks we are a match for most sides in the conference and that we can 'challenge for the play-offs'! And, the Chairman endorses it and sustains it! And people wonder why we're mid table?!

Here are all the answers. The low ambition, low expectation, mediocre standards, hope-for-the-best drivers that prop up the club. Evidently, it's too much to state that "We know we can beat anyone', or "We'll be aiming for two wins in the next two games", or "People don't want to play us" and words to that effect. I'll tell you what Paul Hurst and John Fenty; you reap what you sow in football. If you wonder about self belief and confidence, why not set a shining example? Where's the fight? The spirit? The confidence and pride? It has to come from within. No, if we try hard we can give most teams a good game! The Club have to manifest self belief and share it with the supporters, but instead, this guff.

Honestly, it's right at the heart of the issue - the stinking lack of vision, ambition and drive at this club, and the tolerance of this small-time thinking. It accounts for our middling, go-nowhere situation to a large extent. Fenty accepts it and wants to retain it, and he expects you and me to go along with it too. Just a bit longer. Keep the faith. We're a match for most teams.

Spot on, I really don't understand hoe Fenty can come out either asking the fans for more or criticizing the fans negativity but then complete tolerating the unambitious demoralizing attitude of his manager.

I can only assume that the lack of ambition fits with the clubs general expectations and cost cutting measures.

Posted by: Rick12, October 9, 2014, 9:21pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from grimsby pete

I am sure the right man could get a lot more out of our players than Paul.
Nailed it

Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 9, 2014, 9:48pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from chaos33

Here are all the answers. The low ambition, low expectation, mediocre standards, hope-for-the-best drivers that prop up the club. Evidently, it's too much to state that "We know we can beat anyone', or "We'll be aiming for two wins in the next two games", or "People don't want to play us" and words to that effect. I'll tell you what Paul Hurst and John Fenty; you reap what you sow in football. If you wonder about self belief and confidence, why not set a shining example? Where's the fight? The spirit? The confidence and pride? It has to come from within. No, if we try hard we can give most teams a good game! The Club have to manifest self belief and share it with the supporters, but instead, this guff.

Great post. Said earlier about fire in the belly etc., we have no divine right to promotion but God it would help if you (that's you John and Paul) made better use of one of the best fan bases in this league and gave us something to be positive about.

I remember many games at higher levels when a Town team flew at a higher rated side because the fans became the twelfth man. Stop showing the opposition too much respect. We are a big club in this league so let's start using it as a positive rather than using it as an excuse to be negative.
Posted by: TAGG, October 9, 2014, 10:01pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah that'll help...

So what do you suggest people do to protest at the excrement served up at BP????
I am still going to the games but my patience is wearing very thin. If things carry on the way they are at the moment it won't be many more game before I stop going because there's no other way of protesting.
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 10, 2014, 1:35pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from mariner2000

I know what you mean but don't the club count season ticket holders as "present" regardless of whether they are there as they are sold tickets?  If that is still the case imagine how many might have actually walked through the turnstiles on Tuesday....

I thought it was "clicks" of the turnstile that determined the crowd and that is sent to a central computer in the office.
Posted by: Chrisblor, October 10, 2014, 2:12pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought it was "clicks" of the turnstile that determined the crowd and that is sent to a central computer in the office.

I doubt it. The turnstiles to the Upper Findus often spin through 2 or 3 'clicks' when I go through them. They probably add up the number of ticket stubs and season ticket vouchers collected on each turnstile when collating the attendance.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, October 10, 2014, 2:13pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from chaos33

Here are all the answers. The low ambition, low expectation, mediocre standards, hope-for-the-best drivers that prop up the club. Evidently, it's too much to state that "We know we can beat anyone', or "We'll be aiming for two wins in the next two games", or "People don't want to play us" and words to that effect. I'll tell you what Paul Hurst and John Fenty; you reap what you sow in football. If you wonder about self belief and confidence, why not set a shining example? Where's the fight? The spirit? The confidence and pride? It has to come from within. No, if we try hard we can give most teams a good game?! The Club have to manifest self belief and share it with the supporters, but instead, this guff.

Doesn't sound like you'd want to be alongside him in the trenches, does it?  ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 10, 2014, 10:24pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Doesn't sound like you'd want to be alongside him in the trenches, does it?  ;)

I would like a manager who says this -

"When you're playing for a club like Grimsby Town, no disrespect to Southport, Dartford or Altrincham, but we have to be looking to win those games if we are going to achieve what we want to achieve this season"

and this

"There's nobody in this league that we are scared of – regardless of the run that we're on,"

Who said it? Read Magnay's interview in the GT. It does make a bit of a change to have a bit of really combative talk instead of the usual cliches. Hurst should let him do interviews for him, or maybe give the pre-match talk or take training or ......... ;)

Posted by: Stevie Saunders, October 10, 2014, 11:18pm; Reply: 28
Magnay's interview is very refreshing; it dares to be self critical and critical of his teammates which is 100% justified, honest and makes a change from the usual platitudes and bland sh*te we are normally served

Perfect summing up of our season so far - loads of potential, underachieving, and running out of time to out it right

By the way Carl, you owe us nothing this season - you've been excellent
Posted by: chaos33, October 11, 2014, 7:18am; Reply: 29
Agree. A brilliant example to the others.
Posted by: Caesar, October 11, 2014, 7:35am; Reply: 30
Awesome article from Carl.  Oddly he is one of the players I do not think has underperformed.  If that attitude was shared by everyone at the club (i.e. manager and all the players) I would have confidence we would still get out of this league.  I hope Carl's passion and drive spread!
Posted by: Tangerine Chris, October 11, 2014, 7:41am; Reply: 31
Did anyone listen to the audio on the online telegraph last night?  Hurst says it was 4 3 3 on Tuesday night, but he put Lenny upfront on his own!!  Well doesnt that make it 4 5 1 like the fans were saying?
Posted by: 2578 (Guest), October 11, 2014, 8:24am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Tangerine Chris
Did anyone listen to the audio on the online telegraph last night?  Hurst says it was 4 3 3 on Tuesday night, but he put Lenny upfront on his own!!  Well doesnt that make it 4 5 1 like the fans were saying?

Hurst wouldn't recognise a 433 if he was playing table football!
Posted by: Garth, October 11, 2014, 9:16am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Caesar
Awesome article from Carl.  Oddly he is one of the players I do not think has underperformed.  If that attitude was shared by everyone at the club (i.e. manager and all the players) I would have confidence we would still get out of this league.  I hope Carl's passion and drive spread!

One for the future manager wise, sets an example on and off the field,dream ticket Doig as manager with Magnay as playing assistant.
Posted by: Mariners_15, October 11, 2014, 12:34pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from chaos33

Well said that man, got it absolutely spot on there.
Posted by: Abdul19, October 11, 2014, 1:00pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Garth

One for the future manager wise, sets an example on and off the field,dream ticket Doig as manager with Magnay as playing assistant.

What contacts - we could get Drogba on loan!
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 11, 2014, 1:14pm; Reply: 36
It was Magnay that told Hurst how we could beat Gateshead,

I agree with Garth Doig as Manager with Carl as assistant.
Posted by: tashee69, October 11, 2014, 2:03pm; Reply: 37
He's even managed to convince me. There was a time when I was confident of going to a game and getting a result. Now I dread the likes of Torquay, Wrexham, Barnet, etc coming here because I'm hoping we can something out of the game. He's made me feel we're a Lincoln, Aldershot type of club. A mid table team, going nowhere.
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 9:00am