mariner2000
October 9, 2014, 9:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +171
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from chaos33
Jeez, if this doesn't make your blood f***ing curdle if you're a long-standing Town fan. If you thought Fenty's statement was asinine, Hurst tops it with an unwitting glimpse into the psycholgy of his management and low-rent expectations. Here it is - the ethos at the heart of the club. The manager thinks we lack self-belief, but then states that he thinks we are a match for most sides in the conference and that we can 'challenge for the play-offs'! And, the Chairman endorses it and sustains it! And people wonder why we're mid table?!

Here are all the answers. The low ambition, low expectation, mediocre standards, hope-for-the-best drivers that prop up the club. Evidently, it's too much to state that "We know we can beat anyone', or "We'll be aiming for two wins in the next two games", or "People don't want to play us" and words to that effect. I'll tell you what Paul Hurst and John Fenty; you reap what you sow in football. If you wonder about self belief and confidence, why not set a shining example? Where's the fight? The spirit? The confidence and pride? It has to come from within. No, if we try hard we can give most teams a good game! The Club have to manifest self belief and share it with the supporters, but instead, this guff.

Honestly, it's right at the heart of the issue - the stinking lack of vision, ambition and drive at this club, and the tolerance of this small-time thinking. It accounts for our middling, go-nowhere situation to a large extent. Fenty accepts it and wants to retain it, and he expects you and me to go along with it too. Just a bit longer. Keep the faith. We're a match for most teams.

No thanks. Not for me. It's pathetic and it's infuriating.

Spot on, I really don't understand hoe Fenty can come out either asking the fans for more or criticizing the fans negativity but then complete tolerating the unambitious demoralizing attitude of his manager.

I can only assume that the lack of ambition fits with the clubs general expectations and cost cutting measures.

Logged Online
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 20 - 37
Rick12
October 9, 2014, 9:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

I am sure the right man could get a lot more out of our players than Paul.
Nailed it

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
MuddyWaters
October 9, 2014, 9:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33
Jeez, if this doesn't make your blood f***ing curdle if you're a long-standing Town fan. If you thought Fenty's statement was asinine, Hurst tops it with an unwitting glimpse into the psycholgy of his management and low-rent expectations. Here it is - the ethos at the heart of the club. The manager thinks we lack self-belief, but then states that he thinks we are a match for most sides in the conference and that we can 'challenge for the play-offs'! And, the Chairman endorses it and sustains it! And people wonder why we're mid table?!

Here are all the answers. The low ambition, low expectation, mediocre standards, hope-for-the-best drivers that prop up the club. Evidently, it's too much to state that "We know we can beat anyone', or "We'll be aiming for two wins in the next two games", or "People don't want to play us" and words to that effect. I'll tell you what Paul Hurst and John Fenty; you reap what you sow in football. If you wonder about self belief and confidence, why not set a shining example? Where's the fight? The spirit? The confidence and pride? It has to come from within. No, if we try hard we can give most teams a good game! The Club have to manifest self belief and share it with the supporters, but instead, this guff.

Honestly, it's right at the heart of the issue - the stinking lack of vision, ambition and drive at this club, and the tolerance of this small-time thinking. It accounts for our middling, go-nowhere situation to a large extent. Fenty accepts it and wants to retain it, and he expects you and me to go along with it too. Just a bit longer. Keep the faith. We're a match for most teams.

Great post. Said earlier about fire in the belly etc., we have no divine right to promotion but God it would help if you (that's you John and Paul) made better use of one of the best fan bases in this league and gave us something to be positive about.

I remember many games at higher levels when a Town team flew at a higher rated side because the fans became the twelfth man. Stop showing the opposition too much respect. We are a big club in this league so let's start using it as a positive rather than using it as an excuse to be negative.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
TAGG
October 9, 2014, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,938
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from jimgtfc

Yeah that'll help...

So what do you suggest people do to protest at the excrement served up at BP????
I am still going to the games but my patience is wearing very thin. If things carry on the way they are at the moment it won't be many more game before I stop going because there's no other way of protesting.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
arryarryarry
October 10, 2014, 1:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,051
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from mariner2000

I know what you mean but don't the club count season ticket holders as "present" regardless of whether they are there as they are sold tickets?  If that is still the case imagine how many might have actually walked through the turnstiles on Tuesday....

I thought it was "clicks" of the turnstile that determined the crowd and that is sent to a central computer in the office.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
Chrisblor
October 10, 2014, 2:12pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +53 / -18
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 242
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought it was "clicks" of the turnstile that determined the crowd and that is sent to a central computer in the office.

I doubt it. The turnstiles to the Upper Findus often spin through 2 or 3 'clicks' when I go through them. They probably add up the number of ticket stubs and season ticket vouchers collected on each turnstile when collating the attendance.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
FishOutOfWater
October 10, 2014, 2:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from chaos33

Here are all the answers. The low ambition, low expectation, mediocre standards, hope-for-the-best drivers that prop up the club. Evidently, it's too much to state that "We know we can beat anyone', or "We'll be aiming for two wins in the next two games", or "People don't want to play us" and words to that effect. I'll tell you what Paul Hurst and John Fenty; you reap what you sow in football. If you wonder about self belief and confidence, why not set a shining example? Where's the fight? The spirit? The confidence and pride? It has to come from within. No, if we try hard we can give most teams a good game?! The Club have to manifest self belief and share it with the supporters, but instead, this guff.

Doesn't sound like you'd want to be alongside him in the trenches, does it?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 26 - 37
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 10, 2014, 10:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Doesn't sound like you'd want to be alongside him in the trenches, does it?  

I would like a manager who says this -

"When you're playing for a club like Grimsby Town, no disrespect to Southport, Dartford or Altrincham, but we have to be looking to win those games if we are going to achieve what we want to achieve this season"

and this

"There's nobody in this league that we are scared of – regardless of the run that we're on,"

Who said it? Read Magnay's interview in the GT. It does make a bit of a change to have a bit of really combative talk instead of the usual cliches. Hurst should let him do interviews for him, or maybe give the pre-match talk or take training or .........

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
Stevie Saunders
October 10, 2014, 11:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Magnay's interview is very refreshing; it dares to be self critical and critical of his teammates which is 100% justified, honest and makes a change from the usual platitudes and bland sh*te we are normally served

Perfect summing up of our season so far - loads of potential, underachieving, and running out of time to out it right

By the way Carl, you owe us nothing this season - you've been excellent
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
chaos33
October 11, 2014, 7:18am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,001
Gold Stars: 362
Agree. A brilliant example to the others.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The manager's statement

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.