5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Trawler
September 11, 2014, 2:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
I'm by no means an apologist for Hurst, but we missed out on promotion by only two victories last season, and got knocked out of the play offs by default when Neilson was given his marching orders, and Hatton did what he did afterwards.

Most on here seem to think we have a better calibre across the park this season. So it's fair enough that we should hope, even expect to do better than 2013/14.

There's only three better places to finish:  losing play-off finalists, play off winners and champions.

Obviously we would all be happy if we go up - perhaps even Old Codger and Denni might raise a smile.

But - if we finish stronger and make the play-off final and lose, do you stick with Hurst?

Personally I would keep a manager who makes the play-offs in three consecutive seasons, regardless if we go up or not, and the manner in which we get there.

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Online
Private Message
grimps
September 11, 2014, 2:49pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
Gold Stars: 46
Most people could see by January last year that we didn't have what it takes to win the play offs !
You say we was beaten by the Neilson sending off but we was already losing and had been totally out played over the two legs , In fact we started playing better after the sending off.There was no way we would have got past Cambridge never mind Gateshead.

We had played crap since the turn of the year barring Cambridge away, the same as the season before.showing to me that Hurst had learnt nothing by wasting the squad in FA trophy games , no real plan B , Bringing in unwanted and unneeded players in January that upset the team and strange team selections and tinkering.
Hopefully he will learn this season quick oor it will go exactly the same way.

Success is winning the Championship , if we are out of the title race by Christmas then I would get rid and give someone else a crack.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 45
Abdul19
September 11, 2014, 3:00pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from grimps
totally out played over the two legs ,

I must've watched a different first leg to you.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 45
grimps
September 11, 2014, 3:04pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

I must've watched a different first leg to you.

You must have !
Gateshead was all over us at Blundell park
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 45
Maringer
September 11, 2014, 3:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,143
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from grimps

An interesting definition of "all over us". They had one shot on target all game and we hammered them at the other end. Look at the BBC match stats:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27193081
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 45
grimps
September 11, 2014, 3:14pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Ha ha fair enough . well they came and did the same as most other teams did in the second half of last season
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 45
ackomariner
September 11, 2014, 3:50pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Trawler
I'm by no means an apologist for Hurst, but we missed out on promotion by only two victories last season, and got knocked out of the play offs by default when Neilson was given his marching orders, and Hatton did what he did afterwards.

Most on here seem to think we have a better calibre across the park this season. So it's fair enough that we should hope, even expect to do better than 2013/14.

There's only three better places to finish:  losing play-off finalists, play off winners and champions.

Obviously we would all be happy if we go up - perhaps even Old Codger and Denni might raise a smile.

But - if we finish stronger and make the play-off final and lose, do you stick with Hurst?

Personally I would keep a manager who makes the play-offs in three consecutive seasons, regardless if we go up or not, and the manner in which we get there.

To answer your question.... Success = promotion

No promotion = bye bye mr hurst

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 45
chaos33
September 11, 2014, 3:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,788
Gold Stars: 349
Quoted from grimps

You must have !

Were they balls.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 45
DocTower
September 11, 2014, 4:28pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Quoted from chaos33

Were they balls.

Wouldn't say they were all over us , however their manager had a plan to nullify us totally , which they did on the night . They kept possession , played if I remember about 20 odd passes before we had the ball . When we did have the ball it was the big hump up to Lewis . My comment after the game was what could their manager do with our team , who on paper were of a better quality .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 45
denni266
September 11, 2014, 4:29pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.82
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +638
Gold Stars: 129
promotion is success,
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 45
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.