5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
September 6, 2014, 9:30pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Just want to get a view on what people regard as our best signing this season. For me they are all a vast improvement on who they've replaced.

Nsiala - Far too good for this level IMO and we've done extremely well to get him on board. I think his friendship with Brown helped alot. He's a rock at the back. Very good in the air, fast and powerful. One of the best centre backs in the division for me and with Pearson, there aren't many better in this league ir maybe even in league 2!

Magnay - Possible the find of the season. He's been excellent in both full back positions. Very good technically, strong and calm on the ball. Why Gary Mills let him go I'll never understand.

Mackreth - An upgrade on Colbeck without doubt. Server bit seen the best of him yet as he's been in and out of the team but he's got pace to burn,  can beat his man and his delivery is good. A run in the team will improve his confidence!

Brown - For me the best central midfielder in the league. Great passion, workrate, passing ability and strong in the tackle. He literally never stops running and keeps the team ticking over. Definitely a key player!

Clay - I'll admit I was concerned when Paul signed him as he looked lost during pre-season. But to be fair he's been outstanding since the season began. His workrate is first rate, he keeps it simple and break up so many opposition attacks it's unreal. A key cog in our midfield. Fair pay to him!

Arnold - Not seen a great deal as he's been injured but from previous viewings he'll be a great outlet for the team! Fast, skilllful and an eye for goal. An very fid addition to the team whether starting our coming off the bench.

Pittman - Excellent striker at this level. Very fast and technically gifted with ball at his feet. For someone so small he's got an excellent leap' great in the air and very strong. He's also a very good finisher and exudes a calmness when in the final third. I think with his partnership with Lenny he could be the 20 goal a season striker we've been looking for!

Tough call for me as they're all very, very good additions so credit must go to Paul for bringing them in. If pushed I'd have to go for Brown as he's exactly the type of player we've been missing in midfield since we dropped into this division.

So who is your best signing and why?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
ackomariner
September 6, 2014, 9:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
I said on another thread earlier that IMO brown is the signing of the decade for me, just what we've needed for the last ten years in midfield.

Toto very good too, but brown gets my vote.....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
springstomind
September 6, 2014, 9:39pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
Good post mate, very accurate analysis of the players. Like you say I think they're all quality signings and hurst has done a fantastic job! I can't honestly choose a "best signing" because they're different positions and different attributes however I do think Magnay had been absolutely brilliant for us! He is so so composed on the ball and always wants it, good passer and gets forward and defends well, looks a very accomplished full back. Quality signing in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
LH
September 6, 2014, 9:39pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,492
Gold Stars: 173
Disagree entirely with Mackreth thus far. He does an excellent Lee Cattermole impression though.

Arnold looked to be limping after his shot earlier (strike though!) and I think he'll be injured more than fit for us which is a shame.

I think Brown is our best addition. Here, there and every flipping where.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
cjbill
September 6, 2014, 9:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
Brown for me. On another note I think the Neilson we have this season is like having a new signing. To me he's showing exactly what we knew he had in him which we didn't see a lot of last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
September 6, 2014, 9:52pm
Guest User
Still very early but if Brown continues his performances then it will have to him. I have had a season ticket for  town for 7 seasons now and he is the best centre midfielder I have seen play for us.
Reply: 5 - 42
jimgtfc
September 6, 2014, 9:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,085
Gold Stars: 44
Brown is what we've been missing for years and certainly an upgrade on Kerr. Toto has scary potential, great player for now and a possible cash cow for the future? Pittman looks like he could maybe fire us up the league. Magnay is the surprise package for me, I was a bit miffed when we signed him but wow was I wrong, versatile, good going forward and an excellent defender.

A good case can be made for all of them, I guess we'll have a better idea come may.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
TAGG
September 6, 2014, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Just want to get a view on what people regard as our best signing this season. For me they are all a vast improvement on who they've replaced.

Nsiala - Far too good for this level IMO and we've done extremely well to get him on board. I think his friendship with Brown helped alot. He's a rock at the back. Very good in the air, fast and powerful. One of the best centre backs in the division for me and with Pearson, there aren't many better in this league ir maybe even in league 2!
Great signing. Could make Town some money

Magnay - Possible the find of the season. He's been excellent in both full back positions. Very good technically, strong and calm on the ball. Why Gary Mills let him go I'll never understand.
Cant say hes the find of the season by a long way but a very good signing.

Mackreth - An upgrade on Colbeck without doubt. Server bit seen the best of him yet as he's been in and out of the team but he's got pace to burn,  can beat his man and his delivery is good. A run in the team will improve his confidence!
Disagree with everything. What do you base this comment on??????? Hes gets knocked off the ball far to easily, cant beat a man, one dimensional because he just runs in straight line with his head down and his delivery is sh1t. Doesent give the team anything.

Brown - For me the best central midfielder in the league. Great passion, workrate, passing ability and strong in the tackle. He literally never stops running and keeps the team ticking over. Definitely a key player!
Not seen a midfielder like him in Black & White for years. Why is he not playing League football???

Clay - I'll admit I was concerned when Paul signed him as he looked lost during pre-season. But to be fair he's been outstanding since the season began. His workrate is first rate, he keeps it simple and break up so many opposition attacks it's unreal. A key cog in our midfield. Fair pay to him!
Does the simple and ugly bits of football very well. Great signing.

Arnold - Not seen a great deal as he's been injured but from previous viewings he'll be a great outlet for the team! Fast, skilllful and an eye for goal. An very fid addition to the team whether starting our coming off the bench.
Seen him play about six times and never seen him have a good game yet. Cant see what all the fuss is about but hope I'm wrong.

Pittman - Excellent striker at this level. Very fast and technically gifted with ball at his feet. For someone so small he's got an excellent leap' great in the air and very strong. He's also a very good finisher and exudes a calmness when in the final third. I think with his partnership with Lenny he could be the 20 goal a season striker we've been looking for!
Fookin love him

Tough call for me as they're all very, very good additions so credit must go to Paul for bringing them in. If pushed I'd have to go for Brown as he's exactly the type of player we've been missing in midfield since we dropped into this division.

Think the squad is a lot better than last season.

Best signing Brown because hes given our midfield the energy, pace and a buzz that hasnt been there for years.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
Les Brechin
September 6, 2014, 10:06pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Brown for me too. We've not had a centre mid like him for a long time.

Still not convinced by Mackreth though, he very rarely beats his man and at the minute doesn't seem to be much of an improvement on Colbeck. Hopefully he'll come good if he gets a decent run in the team.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
September 6, 2014, 10:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from TAGG

Best signing Brown because hes given our midfield the energy, pace and a buzz that hasnt been there for years.

Are we really judiging Arnold after seeing him play for 15 minutes in a Town shirt?
Reply: 9 - 42
September 6, 2014, 10:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Early days but I am happy to put my head on the block and say each of our signings have been a HUGE upgrade on their predecessors. Nsalia is absolutely immense, he should not be playing at this level. Scott Brown? Had a quiet game for me (by his recent standards) today, but the has been absolutely fantastic. The only question mark is against Jack Macreth who simply hasn't played enough but when he has played, he has been direct and pacey. We look a very very good side, at times we look frightening. One thing I am delighted about is our workrate, every player has given everything, to be fair it's been the same for the last two or three years, and I thank the lads for that. Daft as it sounds, we haven't always had that, it's the least you expect as a fan but we have been so let down over the last decade or so.

Champions for me, I took 9-1 and I expect to be up a tree at Town Hall Square come May!
Reply: 10 - 42
Garth
September 6, 2014, 10:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
All very good signings and its difficult to pick between them but Brown is something else and gets my choice, we started fairly slow with the draws against teams where with a bit of luck we would have taken the three points, one loss against a team that was reeling untill we went down to ten and then we pressed them so hard they were glad to hear the final whistle.
We certainly have a promotion team this time around and should be there abouts at Christmas, to finish top is on the cards barring no serious injuries
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
September 6, 2014, 10:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from Garth
All very good signings and its difficult to pick between them but Brown is something else and gets my choice, we started fairly slow with the draws against teams where with a bit of luck we would have taken the three points, one loss against a team that was reeling untill we went down to ten and then we pressed them so hard they were glad to hear the final whistle.
We certainly have a promotion team this time around and should be there abouts at Christmas, to finish top is on the cards barring no serious injuries

Garth, agree mate but do you think we lack a top striker at this level? I'm not sure we have enough firepower?
Reply: 12 - 42
promotion plaice
September 6, 2014, 11:21pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,035
Gold Stars: 197
John Fenty for bankrolling the club again.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
Stevie Saunders
September 6, 2014, 11:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Very hard to judge as they play in different positions and all have different attributes, skills etc
If pushed, I just have Brown ahead of Magnay, purely cos (as several have said) we at long last have a central midfielder with purpose, drive and an excellent all round game.
Clay is the bonus signing - like a number of people I thought he'd be a squad player but from what I've seen he looks a vital cog in the wheel, allowing the 'fantasy' players to strut their stuff. His two goals v Alfreton were pretty classy finishes as well
Nsiala, Pittman are superb signings as well; jury out on Mackreth
Word for Paddy - looks a different player to me and offers a lot of great things to the team; wish he'd shoot more though cos he's technically very good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
highcliff mariner
September 6, 2014, 11:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from 75

Early days but I am happy to put my head on the block and say each of our signings have been a HUGE upgrade on their predecessors. Nsalia is absolutely immense, he should not be playing at this level. Scott Brown? Had a quiet game for me (by his recent standards) today, but the has been absolutely fantastic. The only question mark is against Jack Macreth who simply hasn't played enough but when he has played, he has been direct and pacey. We look a very very good side, at times we look frightening. One thing I am delighted about is our workrate, every player has given everything, to be fair it's been the same for the last two or three years, and I thank the lads for that. Daft as it sounds, we haven't always had that, it's the least you expect as a fan but we have been so let down over the last decade or so.

Champions for me, I took 9-1 and I expect to be up a tree at Town Hall Square come May!

i took 10/1 and i agree its about time we had a parade ..
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Maringer
September 6, 2014, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
I think that we need to see a lot more from Mackreth this season. A slow start for him, which is perhaps understandable as he's been in and out of the team, but I do remember him causing us problems in the past. Hopefully, he'll do well when he settles in a bit better.

I thought today was Nsiala's most composed performance for us this season (that I've seen). A lot more comfortable as one of two central defenders and he looked good. I'm slightly concerned that he does tend to overplay it in defensive positions at times and I reckon that this will come to bite him (and us) on the bottom 2 or 3 times this season, but hopefully his all-round ability will more than make up for this.

Clay has been the revelation as he really looked distinctly average in the pre-season games. I wonder if this was perhaps in part down to nerves because he was basically playing for a contract? Must have looked decent in training to win a contract and he's looked pretty good since he came into the team though a little bit hit and miss today. In particular, he barely got involved in the first 15 minutes of the second half (along with one or two of his teammates) and I was a little disappointed about how slow we began that half. Really gave them the impetus.

Brown looks like a proper little terrier of a player and he certainly adds a lot of application as well as a bit of pace to the team. His cross-field attempts at passes are a bit hit and miss at times, but no more than any of the other players.

Magnay looks very solid. Comfortable on the ball, great versatility and he looks like he will be a very important part of our defence this season.

Pittman has done very well up front too. Not seen as much of the pace we'd heard about as I expected, but he's strong and has a decent touch as well - a few excellent lay-offs today and he took his goal very well. It is encouraging that we've got a good few players in the goals already this season. Long may it continue! Still think we need another 'strong'/'big' striker in the squad, however, as we'd be terribly lightweight if both LJL and Pittman are injured/suspended.

Can't really comment about Arnold too much as he's barely played.

Ultimately, I'm pretty pleased with all of the signings so far this season. I don't want to put a hex on any of them by saying which one I think has been the best signing as all look to be pretty good!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
KingstonMariner
September 7, 2014, 12:13am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ackomariner
I said on another thread earlier that IMO brown is the signing of the decade for me, just what we've needed for the last ten years in midfield.

The early signs are looking that way with Brown.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
Biccys
September 7, 2014, 1:33am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ackomariner

Could not agree more. Many on here will have been following town when we had Cunnington and Cockerill. I think I said it previously this season that these 2, Brown and Clay, could be the new pair to match those 2 at last. Gone are the days of watching a urine weak central midfield looking up into the sky as the ball passes them by. Good god we've had some excrement in cm over the last 10 years or so.....!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 42
ivanosandwich
September 7, 2014, 7:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 16
Prospects are very good when we have 3 or 4 nominations for best signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
cmackenzie4
September 7, 2014, 8:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Brown for me, He is the dogged midfielder we have needed since Pouton left.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 42
springstomind
September 7, 2014, 8:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
Brown is the mammaries. Agree so much about him being the best in a long long time for us.

Him and clay look better than any mix and match of the likes of Panther, Thompson, Church, Artus, Thanoj, Kerr, Disley, Hudson, Leary, Cummins etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 42
pizzzza
September 7, 2014, 8:49am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
It's still early days but I remember saying when signed that Brown will be a big player for us and will most likely end up POTS. I haven't changed my opinion.
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 42
MeanwoodMariner
September 7, 2014, 9:30am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Like most have said, Brown gets my vote because of his position. We've been desperate for someone like him.

I think Nsiala will probably go on to play at a higher level though and in that sense he is the better player.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 42
jonnyboy82
September 7, 2014, 9:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Scott brown has been magnificent ,did anyone see when he got clattered to the floor he still shuffled along the floor and managed to get a tackle in that sums the lad up and i just wish we had him on a two year deal.

For me the player who has come in and been outstanding in all his games and has got better with each game is carl magnay, that lad gets up and down that pitch more in one game than sam hatton can manage in a season.

All the signings are showing they are the real deal.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 42
Caesar
September 7, 2014, 9:58am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Am afarid to be boring and agree with everyone but it has to be Scott Brown.  Tough to separate him and Toto in many ways as they are both class but I think our defence has been good for a while, like Acko says for 10 years we have been missing a man who can control play in the middle of the park.  So for me that makes Brown the most crucial signing.  He is all over the place and can find an excellent pass and in every game I have seen him in he has been our best player or had an outstanding game either way (hard to give anyone specific MOM mentions at Gateshead).  

However I also agree that all signings have been class, even little Jack.  I think he needs to toughen up a bit and while he has not set the world alight so far I have seen enough of him to give me confidence he will get better and use his exceptional pace well!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 42
lobsterpot
September 7, 2014, 10:12am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +18 / -2
Approval: +742
Gold Stars: 15
Maggers is rapidly becoming my favourite player. Fantastic at whatever seems to be put in front of him. Brown superb altho' yesterday he went missing for the final 3rd of the game. I will disagree about Toto tho'. I cant quite put my finger on it but out of all the signings i expected the most from him and so far i sometimes feel uncomfortable when he is on the ball. The one bonus this season, and it is massive AND off topic, is we are no longer HOOOOOOFING it over the top from back to front and that is magical to watch compared to the dross on offer in the past.

" YOU ALWAYS SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS, SCORE FROM OUR CORNERS........"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 42
Jarmo.Is.God
September 7, 2014, 10:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,050
Gold Stars: 86
Agree about Magnay, he was awful against Donny but they are different quality, but fair play to him, solid, gets forward and just overall a wicked signing.

Don't like McKreth, and can see Arnold soon taking his place if he stays fit.

clay the biggest surprise and at the end of the day, has took the captains place !

Pitmann looks to have pace and energy to burn ! A few times he has chased the defenders down and blocked them hoofing it, AND he can finish !

But brown or toto get it for me, both solid and if we got promoted, I would be happy with them in the team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 42
newfootballer
September 7, 2014, 10:24am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from ackomariner

I have to say I agree with you entirely, Brown is just what we needed in midfield and having played there myself I can appreciate everything he does out on the pitch.

First class indeed, and also I do agree with your quote about him being the best signing in ten years in midfield.

Dave Boylen  (NEW FOOTBALLER )

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 42
rancido
September 7, 2014, 10:42am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,566
Gold Stars: 96
Certainly Brown gets it for me closely followed by Clay. We can field a good team with these two in the " engine room " running things. Along with Paddy we now have a very strong mid-field with the added bonus of Disley in the squad to bolster things up when either of these three are either unavailable or fading towards the end of a game.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 42
Grimsby2012
September 7, 2014, 10:59am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,466
Gold Stars: 22
We deffo have one of the best all round squads in the league, very tight to choose a single one out of them all. In my opinion Brown has been outstanding.

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 42
A.l.f.
September 7, 2014, 11:52am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
So far I think it's all positive - it's still early days but usually players improve after they settle in to a new team.  Imagine that if they get better we could be in for a treat.
Pittman needs to stay fit, Scott Brown and Toto not pick up needless bookings and players keep playing football.
One small point though.  I too have been impressed with Clay but only Gateshead onwards.  Is that as we have our wide men back and Brown is almost like have 1.5 players so whoever plays in the middle will do alright.  With Disley we have the ideal partner for Brown should Clay's form drop.
Really looking forward to Lincoln on Tuesday.  UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 42
Garth
September 7, 2014, 12:10pm

Season Ticket Holder
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from 75

Garth, agree mate but do you think we lack a top striker at this level? I'm not sure we have enough firepower?

Would love to see Bogle or equivilent on a seasons loan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 42
Abdul19
September 7, 2014, 12:25pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,541
Gold Stars: 215
Can't sign anyone on a season's loan now. And I assume the Bogle ship has long since sailed.

Would agree about needing another striker though.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 42
Les Brechin
September 7, 2014, 2:21pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,699
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Abdul19
Can't sign anyone on a season's loan now. And I assume the Bogle ship has long since sailed.

Would agree about needing another striker though.

There's some bloke called Cook banging them in regularly for Barrow.  

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 42
Abdul19
September 7, 2014, 3:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,541
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Les Brechin

There's some bloke called Cook banging them in regularly for Barrow.  

I'd go for Southall or someone at Boston

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 42
Kymariner12
September 7, 2014, 6:41pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: +102
Brown and Magnay for me. Look like they've been playing for town for years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 42
chaos33
September 7, 2014, 6:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,928
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from Maringer
I think that we need to see a lot more from Mackreth this season. A slow start for him, which is perhaps understandable as he's been in and out of the team, but I do remember him causing us problems in the past. Hopefully, he'll do well when he settles in a bit better.

I thought today was Nsiala's most composed performance for us this season (that I've seen). A lot more comfortable as one of two central defenders and he looked good. I'm slightly concerned that he does tend to overplay it in defensive positions at times and I reckon that this will come to bite him (and us) on the bottom 2 or 3 times this season, but hopefully his all-round ability will more than make up for this.

Clay has been the revelation as he really looked distinctly average in the pre-season games. I wonder if this was perhaps in part down to nerves because he was basically playing for a contract? Must have looked decent in training to win a contract and he's looked pretty good since he came into the team though a little bit hit and miss today. In particular, he barely got involved in the first 15 minutes of the second half (along with one or two of his teammates) and I was a little disappointed about how slow we began that half. Really gave them the impetus.

Brown looks like a proper little terrier of a player and he certainly adds a lot of application as well as a bit of pace to the team. His cross-field attempts at passes are a bit hit and miss at times, but no more than any of the other players.

Magnay looks very solid. Comfortable on the ball, great versatility and he looks like he will be a very important part of our defence this season.

Pittman has done very well up front too. Not seen as much of the pace we'd heard about as I expected, but he's strong and has a decent touch as well - a few excellent lay-offs today and he took his goal very well. It is encouraging that we've got a good few players in the goals already this season. Long may it continue! Still think we need another 'strong'/'big' striker in the squad, however, as we'd be terribly lightweight if both LJL and Pittman are injured/suspended.

Can't really comment about Arnold too much as he's barely played.

Ultimately, I'm pretty pleased with all of the signings so far this season. I don't want to put a hex on any of them by saying which one I think has been the best signing as all look to be pretty good!

Seems a very fair summary to me.

Obviously, judging which signing is best after 7 games is comparable to judging the manager by the same terms, and look at the kerfuffle that caused! Seems we all like to jump to conclusions. Anyway, if I was going to judge on the evidence available I'd say Brown. I thought he looked great against us last season, superb in pre-season games, and has been really influential and consistent in these opening matches. This'll be a better thread next Spring, obviously.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 42
fiveallive
September 8, 2014, 11:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
I agree with the OP, if you look at the Conference League certain players have stood out like Nathan Pond when he played in midfield against us for Fleetwood Marcus Maddison always looked dangerous against us amongst others but last season Nsiala, Magnay and Brown really stood out last season Nsiala and Brown for Southport and Magnay played really well i thought he was one of the best FB in the league.

Then Mackreth and Arnold have cause problems against us in the past, Clay has turned out to be a decent signing. Scottie Nielson back to is best aswell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 42
Nelly GTFC
September 8, 2014, 12:26pm
'Usually Positive'
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +2,726
Gold Stars: 31
Liking Nsiala a lot, totally confident, no girl private - not scared of moving out of defence with the ball.

I think they have all done well although not seen the best of Mackreth yet, shocked with how well Clay is playing - taking Disleys spot, he's like the dark horse so far.

Didn't do much when when Arnold came on, but unlucky not to have scored with that half volley on Saturday, can't wait to see what he can do once he's into the swing of it.

Performance / Top Scorers / Assists / Discipline - Grimsby Town Statistics >> [url]https://www.espn.co.uk/football/team/squad/_/id/386/eng.grimsby[/url]
Form Over Last 10 Games - Grimsby Town >> [url]https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/grimsby-town/form-guide/ten[/url]
Player Contracts - Grimsby Town >> [url]http://codalmighty.com/site/ca.php?article=4202[/url]
Links on football clubs inc Grimsby Town >> [url]https://footballclubforums.com/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 42
Southernboy
September 8, 2014, 1:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
Quoted from 1739

Are we really judiging Arnold after seeing him play for 15 minutes in a Town shirt?

That's a lot longer then many get!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 42
BrickTop
September 8, 2014, 1:24pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +231
Scott Brown for me. It's been a fair few seasons since we've been able to debate who has been the best signing, just shows how good Hurst did in his  transfer business this pre-season. We're still a striker short of a complete squad, for me.

UTM

"You take sugar?"
"No thank you turkish, I'm sweet enough"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 42
oldun
September 8, 2014, 4:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Maybe appointing Chris Doig as assistant to PH was a good move. Clearly taking some of the workload off PH and a true professional who seems to have the respect of the players. Paul can concentrate on the bigger picture without having to put cone's out and that sort of thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best new signing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.