Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 283 Guests

Best new signing

This thread currently has 3,195 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
September 6, 2014, 10:15pm
Guest User
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Just want to get a view on what people regard as our best signing this season. For me they are all a vast improvement on who they've replaced.

Nsiala - Far too good for this level IMO and we've done extremely well to get him on board. I think his friendship with Brown helped alot. He's a rock at the back. Very good in the air, fast and powerful. One of the best centre backs in the division for me and with Pearson, there aren't many better in this league ir maybe even in league 2!

Magnay - Possible the find of the season. He's been excellent in both full back positions. Very good technically, strong and calm on the ball. Why Gary Mills let him go I'll never understand.

Mackreth - An upgrade on Colbeck without doubt. Server bit seen the best of him yet as he's been in and out of the team but he's got pace to burn,  can beat his man and his delivery is good. A run in the team will improve his confidence!

Brown - For me the best central midfielder in the league. Great passion, workrate, passing ability and strong in the tackle. He literally never stops running and keeps the team ticking over. Definitely a key player!

Clay - I'll admit I was concerned when Paul signed him as he looked lost during pre-season. But to be fair he's been outstanding since the season began. His workrate is first rate, he keeps it simple and break up so many opposition attacks it's unreal. A key cog in our midfield. Fair pay to him!

Arnold - Not seen a great deal as he's been injured but from previous viewings he'll be a great outlet for the team! Fast, skilllful and an eye for goal. An very fid addition to the team whether starting our coming off the bench.

Pittman - Excellent striker at this level. Very fast and technically gifted with ball at his feet. For someone so small he's got an excellent leap' great in the air and very strong. He's also a very good finisher and exudes a calmness when in the final third. I think with his partnership with Lenny he could be the 20 goal a season striker we've been looking for!

Tough call for me as they're all very, very good additions so credit must go to Paul for bringing them in. If pushed I'd have to go for Brown as he's exactly the type of player we've been missing in midfield since we dropped into this division.

So who is your best signing and why?

Early days but I am happy to put my head on the block and say each of our signings have been a HUGE upgrade on their predecessors. Nsalia is absolutely immense, he should not be playing at this level. Scott Brown? Had a quiet game for me (by his recent standards) today, but the has been absolutely fantastic. The only question mark is against Jack Macreth who simply hasn't played enough but when he has played, he has been direct and pacey. We look a very very good side, at times we look frightening. One thing I am delighted about is our workrate, every player has given everything, to be fair it's been the same for the last two or three years, and I thank the lads for that. Daft as it sounds, we haven't always had that, it's the least you expect as a fan but we have been so let down over the last decade or so.

Champions for me, I took 9-1 and I expect to be up a tree at Town Hall Square come May!
Reply: 10 - 42
Garth
September 6, 2014, 10:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
All very good signings and its difficult to pick between them but Brown is something else and gets my choice, we started fairly slow with the draws against teams where with a bit of luck we would have taken the three points, one loss against a team that was reeling untill we went down to ten and then we pressed them so hard they were glad to hear the final whistle.
We certainly have a promotion team this time around and should be there abouts at Christmas, to finish top is on the cards barring no serious injuries
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 42
September 6, 2014, 10:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from Garth
All very good signings and its difficult to pick between them but Brown is something else and gets my choice, we started fairly slow with the draws against teams where with a bit of luck we would have taken the three points, one loss against a team that was reeling untill we went down to ten and then we pressed them so hard they were glad to hear the final whistle.
We certainly have a promotion team this time around and should be there abouts at Christmas, to finish top is on the cards barring no serious injuries

Garth, agree mate but do you think we lack a top striker at this level? I'm not sure we have enough firepower?
Reply: 12 - 42
promotion plaice
September 6, 2014, 11:21pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
John Fenty for bankrolling the club again.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 42
Stevie Saunders
September 6, 2014, 11:22pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +363
Very hard to judge as they play in different positions and all have different attributes, skills etc
If pushed, I just have Brown ahead of Magnay, purely cos (as several have said) we at long last have a central midfielder with purpose, drive and an excellent all round game.
Clay is the bonus signing - like a number of people I thought he'd be a squad player but from what I've seen he looks a vital cog in the wheel, allowing the 'fantasy' players to strut their stuff. His two goals v Alfreton were pretty classy finishes as well
Nsiala, Pittman are superb signings as well; jury out on Mackreth
Word for Paddy - looks a different player to me and offers a lot of great things to the team; wish he'd shoot more though cos he's technically very good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 42
highcliff mariner
September 6, 2014, 11:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from 75

Early days but I am happy to put my head on the block and say each of our signings have been a HUGE upgrade on their predecessors. Nsalia is absolutely immense, he should not be playing at this level. Scott Brown? Had a quiet game for me (by his recent standards) today, but the has been absolutely fantastic. The only question mark is against Jack Macreth who simply hasn't played enough but when he has played, he has been direct and pacey. We look a very very good side, at times we look frightening. One thing I am delighted about is our workrate, every player has given everything, to be fair it's been the same for the last two or three years, and I thank the lads for that. Daft as it sounds, we haven't always had that, it's the least you expect as a fan but we have been so let down over the last decade or so.

Champions for me, I took 9-1 and I expect to be up a tree at Town Hall Square come May!

i took 10/1 and i agree its about time we had a parade ..
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 42
Maringer
September 6, 2014, 11:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,505
Gold Stars: 185
I think that we need to see a lot more from Mackreth this season. A slow start for him, which is perhaps understandable as he's been in and out of the team, but I do remember him causing us problems in the past. Hopefully, he'll do well when he settles in a bit better.

I thought today was Nsiala's most composed performance for us this season (that I've seen). A lot more comfortable as one of two central defenders and he looked good. I'm slightly concerned that he does tend to overplay it in defensive positions at times and I reckon that this will come to bite him (and us) on the bottom 2 or 3 times this season, but hopefully his all-round ability will more than make up for this.

Clay has been the revelation as he really looked distinctly average in the pre-season games. I wonder if this was perhaps in part down to nerves because he was basically playing for a contract? Must have looked decent in training to win a contract and he's looked pretty good since he came into the team though a little bit hit and miss today. In particular, he barely got involved in the first 15 minutes of the second half (along with one or two of his teammates) and I was a little disappointed about how slow we began that half. Really gave them the impetus.

Brown looks like a proper little terrier of a player and he certainly adds a lot of application as well as a bit of pace to the team. His cross-field attempts at passes are a bit hit and miss at times, but no more than any of the other players.

Magnay looks very solid. Comfortable on the ball, great versatility and he looks like he will be a very important part of our defence this season.

Pittman has done very well up front too. Not seen as much of the pace we'd heard about as I expected, but he's strong and has a decent touch as well - a few excellent lay-offs today and he took his goal very well. It is encouraging that we've got a good few players in the goals already this season. Long may it continue! Still think we need another 'strong'/'big' striker in the squad, however, as we'd be terribly lightweight if both LJL and Pittman are injured/suspended.

Can't really comment about Arnold too much as he's barely played.

Ultimately, I'm pretty pleased with all of the signings so far this season. I don't want to put a hex on any of them by saying which one I think has been the best signing as all look to be pretty good!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 42
KingstonMariner
September 7, 2014, 12:13am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ackomariner
I said on another thread earlier that IMO brown is the signing of the decade for me, just what we've needed for the last ten years in midfield.

Toto very good too, but brown gets my vote.....

The early signs are looking that way with Brown.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 42
Biccys
September 7, 2014, 1:33am
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from ackomariner
I said on another thread earlier that IMO brown is the signing of the decade for me, just what we've needed for the last ten years in midfield.

Toto very good too, but brown gets my vote.....

Could not agree more. Many on here will have been following town when we had Cunnington and Cockerill. I think I said it previously this season that these 2, Brown and Clay, could be the new pair to match those 2 at last. Gone are the days of watching a urine weak central midfield looking up into the sky as the ball passes them by. Good god we've had some excrement in cm over the last 10 years or so.....!

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 42
ivanosandwich
September 7, 2014, 7:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,470
Gold Stars: 17
Prospects are very good when we have 3 or 4 nominations for best signing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 42
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best new signing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.