5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
September 6, 2014, 9:30pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Just want to get a view on what people regard as our best signing this season. For me they are all a vast improvement on who they've replaced.

Nsiala - Far too good for this level IMO and we've done extremely well to get him on board. I think his friendship with Brown helped alot. He's a rock at the back. Very good in the air, fast and powerful. One of the best centre backs in the division for me and with Pearson, there aren't many better in this league ir maybe even in league 2!

Magnay - Possible the find of the season. He's been excellent in both full back positions. Very good technically, strong and calm on the ball. Why Gary Mills let him go I'll never understand.

Mackreth - An upgrade on Colbeck without doubt. Server bit seen the best of him yet as he's been in and out of the team but he's got pace to burn,  can beat his man and his delivery is good. A run in the team will improve his confidence!

Brown - For me the best central midfielder in the league. Great passion, workrate, passing ability and strong in the tackle. He literally never stops running and keeps the team ticking over. Definitely a key player!

Clay - I'll admit I was concerned when Paul signed him as he looked lost during pre-season. But to be fair he's been outstanding since the season began. His workrate is first rate, he keeps it simple and break up so many opposition attacks it's unreal. A key cog in our midfield. Fair pay to him!

Arnold - Not seen a great deal as he's been injured but from previous viewings he'll be a great outlet for the team! Fast, skilllful and an eye for goal. An very fid addition to the team whether starting our coming off the bench.

Pittman - Excellent striker at this level. Very fast and technically gifted with ball at his feet. For someone so small he's got an excellent leap' great in the air and very strong. He's also a very good finisher and exudes a calmness when in the final third. I think with his partnership with Lenny he could be the 20 goal a season striker we've been looking for!

Tough call for me as they're all very, very good additions so credit must go to Paul for bringing them in. If pushed I'd have to go for Brown as he's exactly the type of player we've been missing in midfield since we dropped into this division.

So who is your best signing and why?

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
ackomariner
September 6, 2014, 9:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
I said on another thread earlier that IMO brown is the signing of the decade for me, just what we've needed for the last ten years in midfield.

Toto very good too, but brown gets my vote.....

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 42
springstomind
September 6, 2014, 9:39pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +322
Good post mate, very accurate analysis of the players. Like you say I think they're all quality signings and hurst has done a fantastic job! I can't honestly choose a "best signing" because they're different positions and different attributes however I do think Magnay had been absolutely brilliant for us! He is so so composed on the ball and always wants it, good passer and gets forward and defends well, looks a very accomplished full back. Quality signing in my opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 42
LH
September 6, 2014, 9:39pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Disagree entirely with Mackreth thus far. He does an excellent Lee Cattermole impression though.

Arnold looked to be limping after his shot earlier (strike though!) and I think he'll be injured more than fit for us which is a shame.

I think Brown is our best addition. Here, there and every flipping where.
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 42
cjbill
September 6, 2014, 9:42pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +215
Brown for me. On another note I think the Neilson we have this season is like having a new signing. To me he's showing exactly what we knew he had in him which we didn't see a lot of last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 42
September 6, 2014, 9:52pm
Guest User
Still very early but if Brown continues his performances then it will have to him. I have had a season ticket for  town for 7 seasons now and he is the best centre midfielder I have seen play for us.
Reply: 5 - 42
jimgtfc
September 6, 2014, 9:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 44
Brown is what we've been missing for years and certainly an upgrade on Kerr. Toto has scary potential, great player for now and a possible cash cow for the future? Pittman looks like he could maybe fire us up the league. Magnay is the surprise package for me, I was a bit miffed when we signed him but wow was I wrong, versatile, good going forward and an excellent defender.

A good case can be made for all of them, I guess we'll have a better idea come may.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 42
TAGG
September 6, 2014, 10:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Just want to get a view on what people regard as our best signing this season. For me they are all a vast improvement on who they've replaced.

Nsiala - Far too good for this level IMO and we've done extremely well to get him on board. I think his friendship with Brown helped alot. He's a rock at the back. Very good in the air, fast and powerful. One of the best centre backs in the division for me and with Pearson, there aren't many better in this league ir maybe even in league 2!
Great signing. Could make Town some money

Magnay - Possible the find of the season. He's been excellent in both full back positions. Very good technically, strong and calm on the ball. Why Gary Mills let him go I'll never understand.
Cant say hes the find of the season by a long way but a very good signing.

Mackreth - An upgrade on Colbeck without doubt. Server bit seen the best of him yet as he's been in and out of the team but he's got pace to burn,  can beat his man and his delivery is good. A run in the team will improve his confidence!
Disagree with everything. What do you base this comment on??????? Hes gets knocked off the ball far to easily, cant beat a man, one dimensional because he just runs in straight line with his head down and his delivery is sh1t. Doesent give the team anything.

Brown - For me the best central midfielder in the league. Great passion, workrate, passing ability and strong in the tackle. He literally never stops running and keeps the team ticking over. Definitely a key player!
Not seen a midfielder like him in Black & White for years. Why is he not playing League football???

Clay - I'll admit I was concerned when Paul signed him as he looked lost during pre-season. But to be fair he's been outstanding since the season began. His workrate is first rate, he keeps it simple and break up so many opposition attacks it's unreal. A key cog in our midfield. Fair pay to him!
Does the simple and ugly bits of football very well. Great signing.

Arnold - Not seen a great deal as he's been injured but from previous viewings he'll be a great outlet for the team! Fast, skilllful and an eye for goal. An very fid addition to the team whether starting our coming off the bench.
Seen him play about six times and never seen him have a good game yet. Cant see what all the fuss is about but hope I'm wrong.

Pittman - Excellent striker at this level. Very fast and technically gifted with ball at his feet. For someone so small he's got an excellent leap' great in the air and very strong. He's also a very good finisher and exudes a calmness when in the final third. I think with his partnership with Lenny he could be the 20 goal a season striker we've been looking for!
Fookin love him

Tough call for me as they're all very, very good additions so credit must go to Paul for bringing them in. If pushed I'd have to go for Brown as he's exactly the type of player we've been missing in midfield since we dropped into this division.

Think the squad is a lot better than last season.

So who is your best signing and why?

Best signing Brown because hes given our midfield the energy, pace and a buzz that hasnt been there for years.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 42
Les Brechin
September 6, 2014, 10:06pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Brown for me too. We've not had a centre mid like him for a long time.

Still not convinced by Mackreth though, he very rarely beats his man and at the minute doesn't seem to be much of an improvement on Colbeck. Hopefully he'll come good if he gets a decent run in the team.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 42
September 6, 2014, 10:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from TAGG

Best signing Brown because hes given our midfield the energy, pace and a buzz that hasnt been there for years.

Are we really judiging Arnold after seeing him play for 15 minutes in a Town shirt?
Reply: 9 - 42
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best new signing

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.