Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the car)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 343 Guests

Just back (to the car)

This thread currently has 3,623 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Chrisblor
August 30, 2014, 5:35pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,678
Gold Stars: 229
For the first thirty minutes we were excellent. Town consistently pinned Aldershot in their own half and we looked dangerous on the break when they did venture forward. LJL forced a save with a low shot from a tight angle, we hit the inside of the post after a McLoughlin set piece and Pittman really should have put us ahead after being played clean through. Unfortunately he tried to take it around the keeper who stood his ground and forced him wide which allowed their defender to get back and block his shot.

Moments afterwards the game turned. LJL, already cautioned for what looked like dissent, hauled down a breaking Aldershot player. The ref pulled out a second yellow and off he went. Might have been very slightly harsh but Lenny really only has himself to blame - if the same foul had been committed on one of our players I'd have expected a caution to be given. For the rest of the first half we camped out in our own half and rarely threatened. Pittman looked lost up front on his own.

After half time we continued playing 4-4-1 and Aldershot made us pay. Toto failed to deal with a ball down the channel, their winger cut it back to Williams who ran in and slammed it past McKeown. Soon after they were 2-0 up as Pearson misjudged a routine long ball and let it go over his head. Williams latched on and showed Pittman how to coolly finish a 1 on 1.

At that point we swapped McLoughlin and Pittman for Hannah and Mackreth and looked much more threatening. I wish Hurst had been more adventurous and made this switch earlier. From then on we started running at the Aldershot defence and Nielson looked especially threatening. Our goal came through him as Aldershot failed to clear their lines and Neilson expertly volleyed a headed clearance into the net with their keeper out of position - it was an excellent bit of technique.

Unfortunately we couldn't find an equaliser as Mackreth and Clay both put efforts wide.

Special mention for the ref who was diabolically excrement and biased. I thought LJL's sending off was justified but the ref was disgustingly insistent and allowed Aldershot to get away with everything. They committed fouls which went unpunished when similar offences resulted in cautions for our players. Brett Williams got away unpunished for a disgraceful dive in our penalty area. Just a totally horrendous performance. I really think town only have themselves to blame for the loss though. Lenny's dismissal was stupid and we'd looked rampant before then.

Not too worried since Aldershot were nothing special (Sam Hatton was atrocious and hauled off at half time) and I think we'd have won comfortably if we'd kept eleven men on the pitch.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
LondonMariner43
August 30, 2014, 5:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,891
Gold Stars: 64
Hurst needs to get the players to show some discipline.  Bookings already building up - we are arguably lost promotion last season due to Pearson's suspension and Hatton's sending off.  We are good enough to beat teams without getting booked and sent off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 53
Southernboy
August 30, 2014, 6:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
Am actually back now and Agee pretty much with first post. Can't really blame a poor referee and Lenny cost us today but we should have been at least 2 up by then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 53
buckstown
August 30, 2014, 6:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,119
Gold Stars: 77
I knew it was going to be a bad day when I got in the ground at 2.50 and they had no Bovril. A football ground with no Bovril for gods sake.
Town were so on top in the first half, we should have been well ahead before the sending off. Strange thing is that they were playing for time to get in at half time and reorganise. The sending off changed the game and we seemed a little unsure of how to approach the game. Aldershot were still very average in the second half even with the extra man but Williams was the difference - three chances and two goals. After Neilsons goal they just tried to play out time.
Couple of negatives. The bookings for dissent are just so pointless, I think we had three today and they have to keep their mouths shut. Also thought one or two Town players must have read the publicity in midweek and were strutting a bit. You don't win anything without hard work.
Overall I came away disappointed but positive. This was my first game of the season and we are so much better than last season. If we can keep our mouths shut and keep 11 men on the pitch there aren't many teams in this league we won't beat
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 53
August 30, 2014, 6:38pm
Guest User
Quality in depth report there Chrisblor ! Thanks for posting.
Sounded like that on the radio too.
Faacking ref.
Reply: 4 - 53
punk mariner
August 30, 2014, 6:58pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +38
the first post sums it up perfectly. better team for the first half hour. aldershot didn't have a sniff. we created chances without controlling the game and Pittman really needed to do better with the one on one before the sending off. that obviously changed the game.

thought Neilson was fantastic today. offers a real threat and took his goal magnificently. absolutely love Scott Brown (did anyone else hear him shouting "common then" at their player as he tried to dribble past him?). the only negative was Jack Mackreth who looked weak when he came on and had chances to run. not the end of the season and no need to panic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 53
mariner91
August 30, 2014, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,248
Gold Stars: 253
Agree with the original poster. Had LJL stayed on we'd have won, simple as that because they were dogshite and didn't look like getting near the goal let alone scoring with 11 v 11. The ref though, oh my goodness, I have never seen such an inept, inconsistent and frankly bias display as that. A Sunday league ref would be ashamed of that performance.

Think it showed we need another attacker today as there wasn't all that much we could change going forward. Was disappointed with Mackreth when he came on.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 53
GrimRob
August 30, 2014, 7:49pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Very unprofessional of LJL to get sent off. He had a long talking to from the ref for arguing about an offside decision then 5 minutes later gave the ref a chance to book him. He should have stayed squeaky clean from this point, no need to make tackles because he's a forward or open his mouth. The daft thing is the challenge was on the touchline near the dugout, about as far from danger as it's possible to be in your own half. The ref was obviously itching to get rid of him but he gave him the reason to do so.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 7 - 53
Southernboy
August 30, 2014, 7:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
We were much the better side and look to have improved a lot since last season. Nsiala at RB doesn't offer the runs of Aswad but I though Town played well with all 11 on the pitch then went into themselves a bit. Attack! Make it our motto
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 53
mariner tommy
August 30, 2014, 7:50pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,869
Gold Stars: 12
We need to take our frustration out on Welling next Saturday.

If we had won today we would have been 8 places higher in the division.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 53
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the car)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.