Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the car)
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 344 Guests

Just back (to the car)

This thread currently has 3,627 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
oldun
August 31, 2014, 9:02am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Thanks folks, I am heartened to read your positive comments after a defeat, when did that last happen? Cheered me up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 53
Maringer
August 31, 2014, 9:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Encouraging to hear that it was a decent performance, but I'm slightly concerned that we've not managed to pick up a few more points already this season. Ideally, if we're going to be trying to compete for the title, we need to turn these narrow losses into draws and one or two of the draws from the earlier games into victories.

Good teams find a way to get a result regardless and we're not quite there just yet.

Hopefully, Hurst will be able to make the couple of signings over the next couple of weeks to give us that little bit extra to win these important points.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 53
barralad
August 31, 2014, 9:37am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Anyone who doubts what LJL brings to the side had a perfect example today . Without him , daft pair of yellows , we are in big trouble  . I
Pitman looks like he's got sore legs , macreth doesn't look he knows what do for most the time . A like for like with colbeck so far what I've seen of him

This:- Up until his sending off he had a hand in everything positive we did going forward. Pittman tried to carry out the role but doesn't have the height or upper body strength.

MacReth looks like a few of Mrs Miggins pies wouldn't do him any harm at all. Knocked off the ball far too easily.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 53
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 31, 2014, 10:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from BIGChris

I didnt think the incident which earnt LJL his first yellow was a foul and neither did anyone else in the press area. Lots of comments about Lenny getting this first yellow for 'gobbing off'. That isnt true, the referee said afterwards it was persistent infringements.

The 2nd incident was just in front of me and immediately in front of the Aldershot dug out. LJL and the shots player were running side my side and Lennys strength looked like he eased the shots player out the way. Foul? If so very harsh but never ever a yellow card. I have read some make out that LJL made a rash challenge. He didnt really challenge at all.

Not mentioned elsewhere but Man of the match for me was Craig Clay.

Sounds like he was unlucky. But we are still picking up too many bookings and they could come back to haunt us later. I may be wrong but I think we have out-yellowed just about every side we have played so far. Everyone knows the standard of refereeing in this league is pretty well crap so we need to make allowances and avoid cards wherever possible. They are not an occupational hazard. I'm sure we can be hard to beat without doing damage to our long term chances like that.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 53
Les Brechin
August 31, 2014, 10:04am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Interesting reading the comments on their forum. Mixed views on the sending off but all agreed that in the end we got what we deserved due to the teams lack of discipline and as one poster put it, John-Lewis being a "mouthy-excrement"

Hopefully Hurst will look at this as we don't want suspensions to affect us towards the end of the season like they did last time around.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 53
sydney
August 31, 2014, 10:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +994
Gold Stars: 2
Thankyou for run down of game
Couldnt make yesterday due to work
Game and result sound  frustrating but not fatal
Come on town put it right next game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 53
cleethorpes_mariner
August 31, 2014, 10:26am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +313
very drunk off with the result yesterday but for me the sending off was the worst two decisions I have witnessed in this league.
The first was a foul by Hatton on JL which the ref decided to give the free kick to Hatton, JL complained and got booked, The second which was just in front of me was a 50/50 coming together where JL muscled a player off the ball then got sent off for it.
MC booking was for complaining after one of our players was mugged right in front of him allowing the ball to go out for a corner, ref gave the corner instead of the free kick.
The game seemed to go from one poor decision to another always in Aldershot's favour, Linesman in front of us did not have a clue what was going on and looked at the ref every time before putting his flag up,  

I thought up to the sending off it was only a matter of time before we scored and went on to win.
I did think we could have nicked a draw by the end but Aldershot went in to time wasting mode very successfully and just ran the clock down,
Still think we have the best team I have seen for many a year,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 53
immariner
August 31, 2014, 1:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,387
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Maringer
Encouraging to hear that it was a decent performance, but I'm slightly concerned that we've not managed to pick up a few more points already this season. Ideally, if we're going to be trying to compete for the title, we need to turn these narrow losses into draws and one or two of the draws from the earlier games into victories.

Good teams find a way to get a result regardless and we're not quite there just yet.

Hopefully, Hurst will be able to make the couple of signings over the next couple of weeks to give us that little bit extra to win these important points.

Have you forgotten that we had 7-9 players missing for those first 3 games. I'd call that mitigation.

I'm confident we'd have won 3 on the bounce if we'd had 11 men for the entirety of yesterday's game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 53
Maringer
August 31, 2014, 2:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Nope, I'd not forgotten about the injured players in the first 3 games.

My point was that we had chances to win all 3 of those games and therefore really ought to have won at least one of them. Similarly, we missed chances yesterday before the red card which would have left us in a better position.

The teams who have gone up as champions in recent seasons, Luton, Mansfield and Fleetwood, for example, have all ground out the results when things weren't quite going their way. We need to get into a similar groove and start getting the points by hook or by crook. Last season, we often weren't great but managed to narrowly win a number of games. With an apparently improved squad this season, we need to start doing this again if we're not playing that well but we ought to have the quality to win more of them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 53
KingstonMariner
August 31, 2014, 2:18pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
very drunk off with the result yesterday but for me the sending off was the worst two decisions I have witnessed in this league.
The first was a foul by Hatton on JL which the ref decided to give the free kick to Hatton, JL complained and got booked, The second which was just in front of me was a 50/50 coming together where JL muscled a player off the ball then got sent off for it.
MC booking was for complaining after one of our players was mugged right in front of him allowing the ball to go out for a corner, ref gave the corner instead of the free kick.
The game seemed to go from one poor decision to another always in Aldershot's favour, Linesman in front of us did not have a clue what was going on and looked at the ref every time before putting his flag up,  

I thought up to the sending off it was only a matter of time before we scored and went on to win.
I did think we could have nicked a draw by the end but Aldershot went in to time wasting mode very successfully and just ran the clock down,
Still think we have the best team I have seen for many a year,

Indeed. He was miles off the pace. Never in line to judge what was offside, missed just about every foul by Aldershot, and took and age to point his flag. I won't get on to his odd shape and weird stance (he can't help that).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the car)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.