Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the car)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 129 Guests

Just back (to the car)

This thread currently has 3,644 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 30, 2014, 8:10pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from GrimRob
Very unprofessional of LJL to get sent off. He had a long talking to from the ref for arguing about an offside decision then 5 minutes later gave the ref a chance to book him. He should have stayed squeaky clean from this point, no need to make tackles because he's a forward or open his mouth. The daft thing is the challenge was on the touchline near the dugout, about as far from danger as it's possible to be in your own half. The ref was obviously itching to get rid of him but he gave him the reason to do so.

Too true. There have been too many unnecessary bookings this season already.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 53
Maringer
August 30, 2014, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,380
Gold Stars: 184
In his interview, Hurst seems to think that LJL's second yellow wasn't even a foul. Just a shoulder charge which the referee wrongly penalised. It will be interesting to see highlights if possible to see how accurate an assessment this is (hopefully Aldershot will stick some up on YouTube!).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 53
mariner91
August 30, 2014, 8:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,544
Gold Stars: 258
"Sending-Off was a complete joke & ruined the game as far as a contest was concerned.
First yellow was soft (maybe for a bit of verbal....ffs get over it ref), but the second was never a yellow card in a million years.
It was right in front of me in the North Bank, he just muscled Fitchett off the ball..thats all, there was nothing malicious about it, he didn't take out someone who was through on goal..It was just a foul, the kind you see day-in and day-out and no way did it deserve to be a yellow card."

From an Aldershot fan!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 53
MeanwoodMariner
August 30, 2014, 8:51pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from mariner91
"Sending-Off was a complete joke & ruined the game as far as a contest was concerned.
First yellow was soft (maybe for a bit of verbal....ffs get over it ref), but the second was never a yellow card in a million years.
It was right in front of me in the North Bank, he just muscled Fitchett off the ball..thats all, there was nothing malicious about it, he didn't take out someone who was through on goal..It was just a foul, the kind you see day-in and day-out and no way did it deserve to be a yellow card."

From an Aldershot fan!

The Aldershot commentators seemed to think it was very harsh too. The first booking was for dissent, so that's Lenny's fault, but they said the free kick he was complaining about was never a foul and he was extremely unlucky.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 53
Caesar
August 30, 2014, 8:53pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Think it has all been said really.  I fear for Aldershot as apart from Williams taking his chances they were very poor indeed.  We should of been comfortably ahead before LJL got sent off but didn't quite get the breaks/finish that we have been getting for the 2 previous games.  

Certainly think the ref was very poor and the Aldershot players got away with as much as LJL got his 2 yellows for without even fouls.  But I do think we were silly in giving the ref the chance to get his cards out.  LJL didn't need to make a challenge at all so why on a yellow give the ref a chance?  And I appreciate the passion Pearson shows but why did he kick the ball away? It was so pointless and led to another inevitable yellow.  We need to be more disciplined and show aggression in the right areas.  

Do have to sing the praises of Scott Brown once more though, works so hard and uses the ball so well.  I am surprised he didn't get a yellow today as he is very aggressive but unlike others in the right areas.

Overall I am not as down as I might have been after a defeat as we looked like we wanted to carry on the positive intent of the past few games and as long as we play like that we will do well IMO.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 53
Caesar
August 30, 2014, 9:01pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,794
Quoted from mariner91

From an Aldershot fan!

Maybe I am being overly harsh on LJL then, from where I was it looked a foul and a very harsh yellow but I just felt he had allowed the ref to pull his cards out when there was no danger.  But we were very much the other side of the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 53
chaos33
August 30, 2014, 9:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Good balanced post from Caesar. We will see what Aldershot do when Williams is injured. Damn him, he has illustrated a point that many of us have been making for a long time - a striker who takes chances is a very valuable asset indeed and wins you lots of points that perhaps you don't really deserve. I wish we'd signed him.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 53
lukeo
August 30, 2014, 9:09pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,298
Gold Stars: 134
1st game in since FGR away last season and I am pretty impressed with the back 4 and midfield 4. Especially Nielsen and Brown, thought individually these both where brilliant. I feel we had nothing upfront, with and without LJL on the pitch they always seemed to me a yard or 2 off the pace. Aldershot where poor all game, passed it sideways and backwards well when we was down to 10 men but only had 3 decent shots (2 of which they scored). Not to disheartened and think we have a good backbone of a squad, could do with a striker or giving Nielsen a chance upfront, hes quality once the ball is at his feet running at players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 53
HackneyHaddock
August 30, 2014, 9:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +17 / -1
Approval: +3,619
Gold Stars: 1
My first game of the season and though disappointing to lose, there are still lots of grounds for optimism and it was great to get a proper look at the team.

As has been said, we controlled the first half hour and the sending off changed the game.  The team already looks settled and they kept going to the end, and by playing proper football too- working opportunities by pressing up the pitch and getting Neilson, Brown and Paddy to make runs and bring in others, with Pittman and LJL receiving the ball much higher up the pitch and into feet.  Neilson was the stand-out man on the pitch, but take him away and Scott Brown would still be head and shoulders above the rest.  Keep these blokes together and we can look forward to some good times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 53
Welwynmariner
August 30, 2014, 9:28pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Agree with all of the above.

LJL was being pulled up for being muscular but fair in their penalty area, complained to the referee and that was what got him the first booking, then for some reason (knowing that the referee was going overboard on this) he seemed to barge one of their players in a nothing area near the halfway line and that was that.

You could see it coming when he got the first yellow and that would have been a moment to switch him for Hannah.

Apart from that it was an impressive display from the rest of the team. Nielsen needs to be prepared to pass the ball a bit more but scored a great goal, Boyce was magnificent, McKeown made a couple of terrific saves and Scott Brown was a real dynamo in the middle.

The referee, as everyone has said was utterly inconsistent and the linesman on our side of the pitch simply looked at what the referee had decided and put his flag up to confirm it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back (to the car)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.