Googlebot and 126 Guests

It's not over

This thread currently has 2,971 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
80sglory
March 13, 2013, 7:34pm
Guest User
Quoted from psgmariner
Important we don't let the mood change to one of despondancy that we are not going to win the title.

Sorry, are you saying we aren't gonna win the title or we still can ?

Quoted from psgmariner
My only concern is whether Fenty will be quite so generous next year IF we don't go up. We have spent BIG this season in a bid to get out of the league.

Well if you ask me there's a good case for a "slash and rebuild in L2" if we DO.

That said, I've no idea what the financial implications are or whether we could even make a profit to get out of debt.

If it was tough, I'm not sure what I'd do.
But I see little point in half arsed expensive budgets that leave you midtable (especially in your first season !)

I would probably slash like fury but bring in young players who can gel and be competitive in L2 the following year.

If fans are disappointed after hitting L2 they'll just have to be grateful, lump it and put all their efforts into staying up and the cup comps IMO.
That's not to say we can't be competitive in successive Football League years.
Reply: 40 - 44
psgmariner
March 14, 2013, 9:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 1600

Sorry, are you saying we aren't gonna win the title or we still can ?

I mean it is important for everyone (fans, players, management etc) to stay positive as we are having a great season. I think our title hopes are very slim now but hope doom and gloom doesn't set it (like it has with some on here) as that won't help.

Private Message
Reply: 41 - 44
highcliff mariner
March 14, 2013, 9:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
[quote=3526]

Couple of really good posts on this thread. I think JonoGrimsby777 makes an excellent point. Of course it is too early to say 'we have no chance of the title'. Do I think we will win it? No. But to say it's over can't be right. I'm sure there were stacks of similar posts on Kiddermister's fan sites earlier in the season.

I will just say that there has been a general consensus that we haven't played great since Christmas. Therefore, I find the fans saying we played well for an hour last night and therefore feel better about the run-in to have a slight 'snatching at straws feel'.

I'd also point out that we have to be honest with ourselves when we evaluate Town and their chances. Anyone who felt we were unlucky not to get all three point against Kidderminster really was at a different match to the one I
attended.

Finally, I really, really hope that GTFC do go up this season. The finance situation that PSG has highlighted above is a real worry. As the pressure builds, I do feel Saturday is a big (note - not 'must win') match. Should we go a goal down I feel we will learn an awful lot about the squad on Saturday from their response.

gtfc71[/quote
Excellent post

UTM

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 44
ginnywings
March 14, 2013, 11:06am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It's about momentum now. We have hit bad form at the wrong time. If we had been average and mid table most of the season, then gone on a good run of wins to put us where we are now, with exactly the same points, then it would be a different matter. We'd all be excited about our prospects. Because we led early in the season when it means nothing and have since slipped away, it feels like we are going backwards and all those years of negativity are surfacing.

I'd have taken a play off spot at the beginning of the season and bar a disaster, that's the worst we will do. One thing that may come out of all this is that the managers may just think "intercourse it, excrement or bust, let's just go for it now" and that mentality could get us over the line.

One thing that is important is that we end the season in good form, because if we do end up in the play offs, the rest of the season means nowt. It's all about those last 2 or 3 games. Wrexham were clear out in second spot last season but blew it, probably because they felt deflated at missing out on automatic promotion, despite amassing 98 points.

If we don't make it up this season, then the earnings from the Trophy and play off games (hopefully including Wembley) should give us a decent war chest for a good crack next year, with a few more quality signings. Whatever happens, we still have the basis of a good squad and look to be going in the right direction for the first time in years.

All in all, it has been a positive season so far compared to what has gone before.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 44
rancido
March 14, 2013, 7:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,651
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from ginnywings
It's about momentum now. We have hit bad form at the wrong time. If we had been average and mid table most of the season, then gone on a good run of wins to put us where we are now, with exactly the same points, then it would be a different matter. We'd all be excited about our prospects. Because we led early in the season when it means nothing and have since slipped away, it feels like we are going backwards and all those years of negativity are surfacing.

I'd have taken a play off spot at the beginning of the season and bar a disaster, that's the worst we will do. One thing that may come out of all this is that the managers may just think "intercourse it, excrement or bust, let's just go for it now" and that mentality could get us over the line.

One thing that is important is that we end the season in good form, because if we do end up in the play offs, the rest of the season means nowt. It's all about those last 2 or 3 games. Wrexham were clear out in second spot last season but blew it, probably because they felt deflated at missing out on automatic promotion, despite amassing 98 points.

If we don't make it up this season, then the earnings from the Trophy and play off games (hopefully including Wembley) should give us a decent war chest for a good crack next year, with a few more quality signings. Whatever happens, we still have the basis of a good squad and look to be going in the right direction for the first time in years.

All in all, it has been a positive season so far compared to what has gone before.

I wouldn't bank too much on the revenue these will create in funding next years campaign if we don't get promoted. I seem to recall that JF said we needed gates of 3,000 just to break even. Some league games have only just acheived this and the earlier cup games were well short with corresponding losses. I think a lot of fans forget that to stage a cup game against inferior opposition ie FA Trophy matches against teams 2 leagues below us , still cost the same and the revenue is proportionally less because they get a cut of the gate income. The Final will create much welcome revenue BUT we need to win it to get the full financial reward.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 44
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › It's not over

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.