This thread currently has 3,132 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
December 8, 2012, 3:06pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
So sorry to hear that the nurse who fielded the original call from the Aussie radio appears to have taken her own life. It comes to something when there seems to be no alternative but suicide as a means of release from one's troubles. The radio intrusion is on a par with paparazzi and the whole vile celebrity culture, and although many found it funny they don't consider the effect of their actions on an entirely honourable woman. With the world's press looking on it made worldwide headline news, and coupled with the radio stations' glee at their work the pressure on the nurse must have been unbearable.

...and they call it entertainment.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Simariner
December 8, 2012, 5:18pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Yes it is sad to hear that she has taken her own life.....  

I do not understand how low people must be to do such a thing and leave family and friends behind though.

I think the British media is also to blame and not just the two DJ's in question.

RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 34
MyDogsThoughts
December 8, 2012, 7:42pm

Woof Woof!!!
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +43 / -12
Approval: +38
There is more to this than meets the eye: I have an awful feeling someone in her chain of command has given her a real bollocking and she took it far to deeply. Only a gut feeling, but can't see any other reason she'd kill herself: most of us would have laughed it off and dined out on it for years!

[img]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0viO-Dm52sM/Rz9JfAGEp6I/AAAAAAAAD8Y/QB-YolLcMJ8/s320/big%2Bbones.jpg[/img]

"I Love Bones, But I Think I'll Lick My Balls Now"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
aaron rattray
December 8, 2012, 9:08pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
It was a bit of fun and i bet the 2 DJs are regretting it now, they didn't mean for somebody to die

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
Rick12
December 8, 2012, 9:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jock dock tower
So sorry to hear that the nurse who fielded the original call from the Aussie radio appears to have taken her own life. It comes to something when there seems to be no alternative but suicide as a means of release from one's troubles. The radio intrusion is on a par with paparazzi and the whole vile celebrity culture, and although many found it funny they don't consider the effect of their actions on an entirely honourable woman. With the world's press looking on it made worldwide headline news, and coupled with the radio stations' glee at their work the pressure on the nurse must have been unbearable.

...and they call it entertainment.
Big shame and completely agree over the celebrity culture thing.On another level reminds me of other situations in which Ive read about  where sometimes people are deliberately cruel and insensitive at the expense of others eg kids who severely bully others at school and due to the susceptibility of their young age some are unable to cope and sadly take their lives

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
GrimRob
December 8, 2012, 11:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,473
Gold Stars: 115
Don't really see much difference between this case and endless pranks that Jeremy Beadle used to do, or Candid Camera before that (there are probably more recent examples but I haven't watched any sort of light entertainment on TV for 10 years or more). It's an age old formula, make a fool of someone and film or record them. The only difference this was live (I think). Beadle probably had a few that he had to trash because people reacted badly but I don't recall there being any criticism of it at that time.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 34
FishOutOfWater
December 9, 2012, 1:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,590
Gold Stars: 37
I recall Noel Edmonds pulling the same kind of stunts years ago on his Sunday morning radio shows - maybe these pranks do take advantage of the innocent but ever since I was a kid people have laughed at the misfortune behind Candid Camera and Beadles About etc

I can only imagine that there must be something more to this case than her just taking the call in the first place and transferring it...that alone surely couldn't have sent this woman over the edge?

Whether the true story and all the events will come out in due course though is unlikely....it would mean too much negativity surrounding the royal baby story and we can't have that can we?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 6 - 34
mariner91
December 9, 2012, 10:00am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,838
Gold Stars: 264
I can only think there must have been something else in her life that was troubling her and this pushed her over the edge? We don't know her personal circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
Ipswin
December 9, 2012, 10:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MyDogsThoughts
There is more to this than meets the eye: I have an awful feeling someone in her chain of command has given her a real bollocking and she took it far to deeply. Only a gut feeling, but can't see any other reason she'd kill herself: most of us would have laughed it off and dined out on it for years!

I'm with the Dog on this - she was never actually named in the press, neither of the nurses were, in fact she merely transferred the call - she wasn't actually the one who was recorded and gave the info in Kate's condition and I don't see that alone driving her, as a highly trained responsible professional, to take her life .

For all their protestations and aggrieved statements sent from the head man to the radio station, I have a gut feeling the hospital have a case to answer here in terms of disciplinary action (maybe even making her in fear of being struck off) or at least a very very aggressive bollocking which she possibly because of the sort of woman she was affected her more than the average person

Anyway what the fcuk was a trained nurse, on night duty (when staff are at a premium anyway) in a 'top' London hospital doing manning the switchboard anyway? Given the number of genuine calls they must have had from the press during Kate's time in there surely a receptionist could have been offered a bit of overtime FFS

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
kingofthekippers
December 9, 2012, 3:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from GrimRob
Don't really see much difference between this case and endless pranks that Jeremy Beadle used to do, or Candid Camera before that (there are probably more recent examples but I haven't watched any sort of light entertainment on TV for 10 years or more). It's an age old formula, make a fool of someone and film or record them. The only difference this was live (I think). Beadle probably had a few that he had to trash because people reacted badly but I don't recall there being any criticism of it at that time.

There is a big difference between the stunts done by Jeremy Beadle and this. Firstly, his stunts were done at the invitation of family members of the 'victim' who wrote into his show. Extensive research was carried out with the family as to whether the subject could take the joke when it was revealed and secondly the stunt was only ever broadcast with the permission of the person who was tricked - if they said no, it wasn't used. On Candid Camera the rules were similar; the victims were always told it was a joke before they left and had to give their permission for it to be shown.

Whereas what these two so-called pranksters did was deliberate subterfuge, possibly illegal and broadcast without the consent of the people used (for that is what they were - used). There is a world of difference.

Now I know this ladies' suicide could not have been intended or even foreseen but if you are going to do tricks like this and use innocent parties to do it then you have to take the consequencies if it goes wrong.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jacintha Saldanha's death

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.