This thread currently has 3,130 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
jock dock tower
December 9, 2012, 6:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
"Comedy" which this prank was supposed to have been always has a victim, otherwise there'd be no joke. Getting the balance right between what can be construed as genuinely funny, or that which can be said to be sick / obscene is fine indeed, so there's maybe a bit more awareness required not just upon those who carry the prank out, but their employers who sanction such tactics in an effort to get a greater audience. What concerns me in this episode is that it wasn't "off the cuff" but had been lengthily discussed between the radio station owners and their solicitors - but with no concern for those who might take offence at the intrusion. This was all about generating advertising revenue by getting the show talked about.

The "gag" was played constantly, not just as a one off. They were determined to make money out of it. Now they have the unfortunate death of Jacintha to deal with, and the huge loss of advertising revenue because of organisations not wishing to be associated with them, they may have to take a well deserved introspective look at themselves. I genuinely feel for the people who actually carried out the gag, as they were doing what their employers wanted them to do, otherwise they'd not have run it past the legal eagles in the first instance. They'll have to live with the fact that their actions may have caused Jacintha's suicide. Without a suicide note there's no way to prove one way or another that it was, or wasn't their fault, means they have to live with it for the rest of their lives.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 34
ska face
December 9, 2012, 7:05pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,892
Gold Stars: 854
How are Kate and Wills dealing with the tragedy? The poor dears.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
marinette
December 10, 2012, 6:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Public humiliation, not just in Britain but worldwide, and magnified many times over due to the 'celebrity' status of the 'royal' couple.
Someone who took her professional duties, including the legal implications of patient confidentiality very seriously indeed.
Living in a blame culture - public inquiries and reports cropping up nearly every day on the news, detailing how nurses, police, social workers, teachers, you name it, are failing in their duty as public servants.
Insecurities at work due to spending cuts and reviews, fear of redundancy and frightening unemployment levels, leading to a dread of getting into trouble at work, or being seen as 'not up to the job' - and possibly added anxiety due to family responsibilities, mortgage, debts, cuts in welfare and public contempt shown towards people claiming benefits.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug/14/rise-suicides-blamed-impact-recession

R.I.P.

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
the ace face
December 10, 2012, 10:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -7
its kind of ironic that two Australians have a pop at the  heads of the British aristocracy and it ends up going mammaries-up.  was this not the same aristocracy that sent many of our forefathers to Australia for "petty" crimes like poaching rabbits etc to feed their starving children? its a shame about the nurse for clearly she was on the brink anyway,but lets not  forget what the royal elite and their landowning lords did to our people years ago,they are all crooks and in-breds to this day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
the ace face
December 10, 2012, 10:34am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Quoted from ska face
How are Kate and Wills dealing with the tragedy? The poor dears.

i bet it didn't stop them tucking into their foie-gras?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
grimsby pete
December 10, 2012, 11:25am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
Listening to the news this morning, I think more will come out from the hospital side,

In my opinion Jacintha was more upset from the reaction she got from her hospital bosses than the actual prank,

Its a very sad situation but nobody could have envisage this tragic outcome.

RIP Jacintha.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
Rodley Mariner
December 10, 2012, 11:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Interesting that some of those outraged on this thread are quite happy in other threads to strongly insinuate that certain celebs are paedophiles without any evidence at all. I wonder how they'd feel if an innocent person killed themselves because false rumours of sexual abuse became too much for them to bear.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
Marinerz93
December 10, 2012, 12:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
I think any prank calls to someone in hospital regardless of back ground is disgusting and not funny in the slightest.  One thing that is obvious in all this, is that this prank has played a major part in her decision to take her life, shame on those involved.

R.I.P. Jacintha

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
December 10, 2012, 2:09pm
Guest User
Some People listening to the prank call would of found it funny now everyone is saying how discusting it was, I dont blame the dj's they were just doing their job we humans love the pranks, jokes and windups, this woman had mental issues and would certainly merritt an award for overreaction of the year, feel sorry for her family tho.
Reply: 18 - 34
Marinerz93
December 10, 2012, 6:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 2578
Some People listening to the prank call would of found it funny now everyone is saying how discusting it was, I dont blame the dj's they were just doing their job we humans love the pranks, jokes and windups, this woman had mental issues and would certainly merritt an award for overreaction of the year, feel sorry for her family tho.

You could be on to something, I'll give the McMillan nurses a ring and make out I'm a relative and ask if Mr X has had his chemotherapy yet.  I'll record it so we can urine our selves laughing about it later.

Prank calls to hospitals should be treated the same as false 999 calls.  This is about as funny as that bearded tosser phoning up Andrew Sachs telling him he had slept with his grandaughter.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jacintha Saldanha's death

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.