Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another striker ?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 81 Guests

Another striker ?

This thread currently has 3,673 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
80sglory
November 7, 2012, 4:38pm
Guest User
Good points but Eldings wanted away for a while.
Guess the backlash is more to do with form and the proverbial straw that broke the camels back (again).
Not necessarily saying I'd pick him on Saturday (haven't given it much thought) but part of me would love to see him get on the scoresheet if only to put recent events in a bit more perspective.

Reply: 20 - 37
Garth
November 7, 2012, 6:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,937
Gold Stars: 27
Elding has done it in the past but is now obsolete to requirements

Cook is a square peg in a round hole at Town and was a poor buy (being clever after the event of course)

G Pearson is another misfit here and I`ll wager he  will never turn out to be a decent striker for this club

Hannah always looks like he will score given the right service, but he`s not ours is he

Southwell is easily our best prospect, and to suggest he`s loaned out while we persist in playing Cook and Pearson is wrong

Yes we do need another striker but possibly can`t afford it, so some of the above need to pull their finger out

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 37
headingly_mariner
November 7, 2012, 7:16pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
Am I the only one who thinks cook can be an asset, came on Saturday and made a real nuisance of himself and scored the winner. On Tuesday he really put himself about, won a lot of headers and played with a good aggression. It was noticeable when he went off how few headers we won up top, he was also unlucky not to score.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 37
Theimperialcoroner
November 7, 2012, 7:46pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 103
I'm pretty sure Elding would've been a better bet in last nights conditions than Cook or Pearson. Had a brief chat with him in the stands at half time, and he was bemused as to why he was not involved, more importantly he seemed to really want to be playing. Now I don't know what goes on behind the scenes, but it really does seem that S&H have a problem with anyone who does not show them the love. Elding, Miller and Coulson have seemingly been on the end of this attitude, and if it is the case, I'm not sure I blame any of them if they feel drunk off with it.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
chaos33
November 7, 2012, 8:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from 1600

Fair enough but tbf you along with the majority who spoke or voted wanted Cook in !
Like I said before it's not a question of blame for getting anything "wrong" but how many Elding detractors are now willing to consider whether he should have started last night ?
Not many I bet !  

Who knows perhaps it's partly my fault for sticking the polls up to start with or perhaps more likely, there's something bigger going on behind the scenes with Elding.
I just hope the managers are doing their own thing and making their own decisions and not being swayed by public opinion or fans itching to have a go.

Dear Rob & Paul - YOU'RE the experts so I say sod what everyone else thinks and keep making your own decisions.
If fans don't like it then tough, even if we we're top there'll always be some determined to complain.

Indeed I did, and I stand by that. I felt Elding wasn't doing anything and Cook had made some encouraging contributions in recent games when coming on as sub. Of course, he scored against Tamworth. On that basis, I thought he deserved another chance. As is the norm with him and others - he didn't take it. There's a worrying pattern emerging with Cook and Elding now a third of the season has passed. We haven't got an awful lot of firing strikers to choose from at the moment - hence your reasons for posting the thread I presume.

As far as Southwell and Perason (G) go; I would asssume that they've been deemed not suitable to start at the moment, justifiably probably. The general point I'm making is that some players have had lots of opportunities to produce the goods and they've consistently come up up short. Ok, the first two goals conceded were due to individual errors by two players who have been doing just the opposite - playing well with a level of continuity. They have to be forgiven on those grounds. Defensively, our shape was ragged and our strikers or attacking midfielders (Cook and Colbeck principally, but others too) let everyone down by wasting the ample chances we had to win the game, and Disley and Niven were both poor by all accounts. Those aspects, together with some utterly atrocious refereeing decisions, combined to produce a dismal and weak-looking defeat.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
brad_gtfc
November 7, 2012, 10:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from Tommy
Yeah we probably do need another striker to seriously challenge for the title.

I wonder if the managers are considering bringing in an imposing, commanding central midfielder at some point, seeing as we seem incapable of dominating games?

Pond in midfield?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
80sglory
November 7, 2012, 10:17pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33

Indeed I did, and I stand by that. I felt Elding wasn't doing anything and Cook had made some encouraging contributions in recent games when coming on as sub. Of course, he scored against Tamworth. On that basis, I thought he deserved another chance. As is the norm with him and others - he didn't take it. There's a worrying pattern emerging with Cook and Elding now a third of the season has passed. We haven't got an awful lot of firing strikers to choose from at the moment - hence your reasons for posting the thread I presume.

As far as Southwell and Perason (G) go; I would asssume that they've been deemed not suitable to start at the moment, justifiably probably. The general point I'm making is that some players have had lots of opportunities to produce the goods and they've consistently come up up short. Ok, the first two goals conceded were due to individual errors by two players who have been doing just the opposite - playing well with a level of continuity. They have to be forgiven on those grounds. Defensively, our shape was ragged and our strikers or attacking midfielders (Cook and Colbeck principally, but others too) let everyone down by wasting the ample chances we had to win the game, and Disley and Niven were both poor by all accounts. Those aspects, together with some utterly atrocious refereeing decisions, combined to produce a dismal and weak-looking defeat.

Fair enough chaos think you make some more good points.

Perhaps I'm wrong to criticize (and if so I apologise) just you mentioned before about the managers "they have to get the right result or face being accused of poor decision making." and perhaps I'm just being over protective of them.

Not that you have criticized of course but like your good point seems to imply, there aren't many glowing options to choose from whatever we/they do.  
Suppose all I'm saying is it's fine to be unhappy about Player A but there's no guarantees Player B will be any better.
That's football I guess but must admit I get slightly bored when I hear others moan about Pearson's first touch when he's been out for a while or Southwell not being up to it when he's barely on the pitch.

Who knows maybe they're all not "up to it" just think fans generally need to have realise there's no easy solution until we discover something that works.
I do believe there's some room for salvation but how long we give it, I'm not sure...

As for Pond, is playing up front as target man at least another idea ?!
Reply: 26 - 37
RonMariner
November 8, 2012, 1:44pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,888
Gold Stars: 232
When is Hearn due back?  Should be available in January shouldn't he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
psgmariner
November 8, 2012, 2:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.68
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from RonMariner
When is Hearn due back?  Should be available in January shouldn't he?

Thought it was March. Would be surprised if he played more than 3 or 4 games this season.

Private Message
Reply: 28 - 37
grimsby pete
November 8, 2012, 2:02pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,842
Gold Stars: 222
You should remember that Cook is in his 1st season as a full time pro,

It takes time to adjust,

Look at Pearson last season compared to this,

Cook will come good but not this season I think.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Another striker ?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.