7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
BIGChris
October 27, 2012, 5:33pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Should have won. Their keeper made 5 decent daves although some of them you would expect your keeper to make.

They looked decent going forward but very shaky defensivly.

They should have had a penalty in the first minute and the one they did get was nailed on. Silly challenge. Stay on your feet and hold him up!

Neilson over did the dribbling today, got very frustrated, lashed out and collected a deserved red card.

We werent terrible, werent outplayed from start to finish but got nothing out of the game.

We really need a different option up front as many have suggested. Elding does nothing for me, Hannah is a box player and a decent finisher but hasnt got a great all round game. Cook needs to develop and Soutwell isnt ready to start games on a regular basis. I still think GPearson could do well but if he cant get in the matchday 16 then that says it all.

Very cold in the Upper
Private Message
grimsby pete
October 27, 2012, 5:35pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
What is a dave ?  

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 62
jock dock tower
October 27, 2012, 5:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Wasn't at the game, obviously as I was at Auchinleck (we beat Clydebank 5-1) but looking at the games today in the Conference not a single game was won by the home team. Must surely be some kind of record?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 62
aldi_01
October 27, 2012, 5:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Disagree about the red card. Very close to it and if we are calling that serious foul
Play or violent conduct we've got massive problems with the game.

Macc should've had a penalty in the first half but their second half was another that some days you get some days you don't.

We didn't take our chances and however good their keeper was we still need to take those chances we have. We seem to lose our shape after substitutions and that's when it goes wrong. Luckily with the exception of Luton results went in our favour and we have the chance to bounce back next week.

The only positive for me is we would never have conceded were it not for the penalty and we played well u like the last home league game.

On wards and upwards. Dig deep, turn it around next week and on we go. We need positivity and to make our own luck.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 62
STB
October 27, 2012, 5:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +66 / -22
I didn't go today but I had to drop my daughter off home in Barcroft Street at 4.45, luckily, I missed the traffic.

My mate Carl went to his first match since he returned to the UK last month, he described the game as 'pi55 poor and soul destroying'

Can't wait until the Lincoln games.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 62
Marinerz93
October 27, 2012, 5:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
You could also add that they had one player in midfield doing the work of two of ours, he ran everything for them and covered the same amount of ground as Niven and Disley.  This is the type of player we have been crying out for and our lack of spine is worrying when all teams have to do is be a bit pushy and close us down.  We are lucky we haven't dropped many places and the sooner the players step up and put in dominant performances at home the better.

We have lost the last 3 home games were the other team wanted it more and their lad in midfield played like he had been given the freedom of BP.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 62
BIGChris
October 27, 2012, 5:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from aldi_01
Disagree about the red card. Very close to it and if we are calling that serious foul
Play or violent conduct we've got massive problems with the game.

That was a red card in any match at any standard and always has been. You boot someone in frustration no where near the ball then you deserve a red card. Violent conduct
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 62
AndyGTFC
October 27, 2012, 5:44pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +807
Gold Stars: 5
Should've won that. Definitely a bit of a smash and grab from Macc. It's hard to criticise us too much, their keeper had a very good game and we created a lot of chances in the second half but we just couldn't stick the ball in the back of the net. While we were busy going for it to try and get the win, they broke and got a penalty.

Luckily, we haven't lost any ground. Hopefully, we can bounce back next week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 62
gymadman
October 27, 2012, 5:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Neilson should be fined and sent back to Crawley, their keeper was excellent,Hannah was invisible,Colebeck what did he offer so we are not a good enough team to win this league, make the play off's maybe if we get lucky but I fear several more years at this level, not a knee jerk reaction just an honest opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 62
gymadman
October 27, 2012, 5:49pm
Snakebite drinker
Neilson should be fined and sent back to Crawley, their keeper was excellent,Hannah was invisible,Colebeck what did he offer so we are not a good enough team to win this league, make the play off's maybe if we get lucky but I fear several more years at this level, not a knee jerk reaction just an honest opinion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 62
Maringer
October 27, 2012, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,704
Gold Stars: 189
I think their keeper deserves a little bit more credit as I thought 2 or 3 of the saves were excellent. That said, he was still given the chance to make the saves and with a bit cooler finishing, we should have had one or two goals. A pity Elding hit the post with his effort at the death as they certainly didn't deserve 3 points. More difficult than Elding's typical misses!

I thought Thomas was a little unlucky for the penalty - I don't disagree it was a penalty, but I thought he slipped over to take their player down.

Neilson's problem is that he thinks he is a better player than he actually is. Attempting to dribble around all of the opposition team clearly wasn't working today so he should have tried to pass it more often. I lost count of the number of times he was tackled or hassled out of possession after trying to overdo it, including at the end when he so foolishly got himself sent off and therefore suspended for most of the games in November.

Given the lack of goals from our forwards, it's pretty remarkable that we're so high up the League but we can't manage to stay in a play-off sport on the backs of the defence and midfield alone. Something's got to give one way or the other.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 62
headingly_mariner
October 27, 2012, 5:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
Thought we played pretty well 2nd half after the shape change. The reason we didn't win I we didn't convert any of the many  chances we had. Elding is just not cutting it for me, he missed two sitters today and his all round contribution was urine poor, he is the kind of player that will sprint for a ball he knows is going out like his life depended on it but when it comes to sticking his head in when he might score but could get hurt he is missing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 62
ClarkeyUTM
October 27, 2012, 5:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / -1
I'd use the term lashed out VERY loosely but Neilson did lash out, he was being dragged and handled by two of their players and when he broke free, a leg was swung. It wasn't exactly accidental but it wasn't by any means malicious, it was just frustration. A red was harsh but it was a red none the less, he had no complaints.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 62
moosey_club
October 27, 2012, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,335
Gold Stars: 229
just one of those days i guess, dominated first half without creating too much, Pearson header maybe should have done better, second half they switched around and made us chase the ball for a bit until the Thanoj sub and change around worked a treat and we were back on top again, 3 excellent saves from their keeper prevented us scoring but a host of wrong decisions, flat footed players and poor finishes sealed our fate.
Neilson over elaborate and ill disciplined.
Southwell........a boy in a mans game

The players tried , the managers tried to alter things to nick the points but ultimately not our day, a bit like the Stockport game really.

Still in and around the business end so onwards and upwards.

Oh and what about the linesman first half few minutes? Two of the most awful blatantly wrong decisions i think i have ever seen.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 62
oldun
October 27, 2012, 5:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
A frustrating afternoon and a disappointing end. However we played some neat football at times and managed to work their keeper. He made a great save from Pearson early on and kept making saves right to the death. On another day we would have won 3-0 . Having said that the longer it went on without us scoring there was always the possibility of a sucker punch and so it proved with their penalty winner. They should have had one early on though. Macclesfield did their homework and stopped Neilson from playing, they closed him down and put 2 on him regularly. I think his sending off offence was a show of his frustration. We will miss him but someone else will have to step up. The problem with not winning at home puts pressure on the next away games. However we are still very much in the mix in what is turning out to be a very open league. Keep the faith we did not play badly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 62
rickcotown
October 27, 2012, 6:04pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / -1
There keeper played very well neilson over did everything . the best player on the pitch there number 19 in the middle his movement was messi like he just moved all over the park great player. But we deserved to win that game pond dives in to quick was lucky to get away with it in the first half .

lets be nice now we all follow the town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 62
DocTower
October 27, 2012, 6:08pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
It appears that visiting teams have done their homework on Town . Tight at the back , boss midfield . Today we looked like eleven seperate players not playing as a team . Are we putting ourselves under pressure at home ? are we trying too hard .?   Their keeper pulled off several good saves , however there wasn't much venom in our shots . Was more like get the ball on target . Their first shot came on 57 mins and the way they were trying to con the ref I could only see it being a one nil .
Whether there ref played advantage too much which gave Macclesfield the confience to follow through on a number of occations .
Results have gone our way not to make too much of a dent , again our midfield didn't do it for me , too many stray passing to marked players . Forwards not on the same wave length .  Some spark is missing , even the substitution weren't inspiring .
We were cold today , very cold .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 62
aldi_01
October 27, 2012, 6:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Still disagree that it was a red...but that's irrelevant. We didn't do what we should've done and that is score a flipping goal. However good a game ther keeper had we more than had enough chances to win the game...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 62
oldun
October 27, 2012, 6:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
12 shots on target would normally be enough to get you a goal or two but it was not our day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 62
davmariner
October 27, 2012, 6:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,983
Gold Stars: 79
Very disappointed in Aswad Thomas today, a half arsed performance from him. Every time we had the ball down the left he was reluctant to receive the ball, he refused to support the winger and ball watched. It was ridiculous the amount of times he was slowly jogging back to position when Macclesfield were on the attack in our half. Think he needs a kick up the bottom!

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 62
davmariner
October 27, 2012, 6:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,983
Gold Stars: 79
By the way, I'm pretty sure it's a 3 game ban for violent conduct. Nice one Neilson you tool!

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 62
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
October 27, 2012, 6:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
My complaints are Neilsen today went all makofo on us and had about 8 million touches without giving it to anyone, Elding upfront I don't care if he won two headers and made a succesful pass in the 56th minute like im probably going to hear about, it was a weak performance and he just can't hit the net, he barely scores any in the warm up before the game he's just gone shocking. And my third is the tactical change near the end when they put Cook on for Niven, That was maybe the substition of the season. I know we had the two corners but I feel like we lost momentum for a good few minutes after that sub, couldn't keep hold of the ball anymore. Very very frustrating game, their keeper made some ALRIGHT saves but they weren't the type of shots that would normally go in 99% of the time.
I disagree with doctower I think we did play as a team (apart from neilsen who I thought held on to the ball too much today) we just weren't direct enough and didn't have that confidence anymore.

Oh and our fans are excrement aswell how can we lose 1000 fans because we lost a cup game that none of those fans attended, when before the game we had the chance of being second and otherwise have been in good form.

Positives were that it was nice to have a drummer again even if he had no sense of rythm whatsoever, I had a chicken balti pie and it was hot and amazing, and the results sort of went our way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 62
jonnyboy82
October 27, 2012, 6:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from gymadman

You not giving knee jerk reactions but want to send our best player back to crawley and fine him too.

Brilliant!

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 62
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
October 27, 2012, 6:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Btw does anyone have any greg pearson updates, I think we need him upfront
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 62
gymadman
October 27, 2012, 6:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You not giving knee jerk reactions but want to send our best player back to crawley and fine him too.

Brilliant!

Besy player today..you blind...one good game in every three, or do you not attend games
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 62
aaron rattray
October 27, 2012, 6:48pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I thought cook came on too late

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 62
jonnyboy82
October 27, 2012, 6:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from gymadman

Besy player today..you blind...one good game in every three, or do you not attend games

Attend every home game and some away and i would say scott neilson is an excellent player and for you to question that says it all really.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 62
Mariners_15
October 27, 2012, 6:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Our 3rd season at this level and we still aren't clever or cute enough to break teams down that simply come here and frustrate us. Teams know exactly what they are doing. Oh and by the way how the feck did Elding stay on for 90 mins? He won about 2 flick ons, may be being harsh on him but was probably his most ineffective game since he's been here. Credit to their keeper too, made 3 or 4 cracking saves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 62
GrimRob
October 27, 2012, 6:57pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,471
Gold Stars: 115
9 times out of 10 Town would have won or drawn the second half. Macclesfield hit the jackpot. Thought they looked good in the first half, but overall we would have won on points if it was a boxing match or a diving contest. That's football. Not a single home win in the BSP today, or League 1. Freak result one of many on a freak weekend, don't do anything drastic.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 28 - 62
bradzmilne
October 27, 2012, 7:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,433
Gold Stars: 30
I actually thought we looked alright and just didnt have an end product.
Very inconsistent reffereeing i thought today, Maccs had a stone wall pen turned down in the first half in front of the pontoon but then got a very soft one up the other end. Not sure if the ref was trying to make up from the first decision. I didnt see exactly what happened for the red but by what ive heard and seen on here he just had a real red mist momment and deserved his punishment. Other than that i thought he was a class act today but sometimes tried to do to much.
I dont want to sound like a boo-boy but am not jumping on any band wagon but elding misses to many chances for my liking. Today he cost us a point and this over his period of time here has become a regular occurance. I apprichiate that he gives more to the team than scoreing goals but surely bread and butter for a striker is to finish the chance provided? Saying that as soon as he pulls on a town shirt his always got my 100% support.
Hannah didnt have his greatest of games today but ive noticed alot from him that you wont see him for 70 minutes in a game he'll score and he'll fade out again. For that reason i would of tempted to keep him on for the full 90 minutes as you no that if a chance comes his way 99/100 times hell bag it.
Any where still in the play offs which is a definate positive.
Roll On Saturday
UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 62
grimsby pete
October 27, 2012, 7:42pm

Exile

Oh and our fans are excrement aswell how can we lose 1000 fans because we lost a cup game that none of those fans attended, when before the game we had the chance of being second and otherwise have been in good form.

We only have about 3,000 loyal supporters mate,

The rest will come when we are winning and stay away as soon as we lose 1 or 2.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 62
barralad
October 27, 2012, 7:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from gymadman

Not a knee jerk reaction? Where's FFS when you need him?

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 62
chaos33
October 27, 2012, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
These kind of home defeats happen too often to be considered one-offs. If you expect to challenge for automatic promotion you don't lose these games, or if you do, they are truly 'one-offs' or freak results. Our strikers aren't good enough, simple as. A really disappointing result, and one which will puncture any groundswell of optimisim or potential for a bigger paying crowd at BP. Simply not good enough.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 62
80sglory
October 27, 2012, 8:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from BIGChris
Should have won. Their keeper made 5 decent daves although some of them you would expect your keeper to make.

They should have had a penalty in the first minute and the one they did get was nailed on. Silly challenge. Stay on your feet and hold him up!

Neilson over did the dribbling today, got very frustrated, lashed out and collected a deserved red card.

We werent terrible, werent outplayed from start to finish but got nothing out of the game.

Spot on at least for this bit IMO.

Quite unlucky !
Positives for me were some good build up passing play albeit not much end product 1st half.

Where was the "strong start" ?
Cos thought we had more room to take the game to them 1st half and looked a bit more determined straight after H/T

Negatives: wonder if we're still we're letting teams have the ball too much at times (especially near our own box) when we might be "hunting in packs" to close them down instead of looking slightly flatfooted and static.

Yes Neilson could have scored but more often than not had a total nightmare   and is in danger of being labelled Mr Greedy.

Slightly too much over elaboration and pissing around at the back for me too.
But Shaun Pearson keeps looking better and better !   Wonder if we'll be able to hold on to him long term...
Quoted from BIGChris
We really need a different option up front as many have suggested. Elding does nothing for me

Chances aside (not convinced they were sitters) thought Elding had another good game in open play !    
But yes, he's got his limitations (including in the goalscoring dept), didn't we realise ?  

What type of "option" do we need Chris ?

A goalscorer ? Well Hannah didn't get a sniff and was almost invisible as an attacking force today.
A target man ? Cooks on the bench....
Someone who can work hard and hold the ball up ? Well that's Elding...
Pace and invention ? Well that's Southwell or Pearson (maybe)

If we need better all round players then fair enough, perhaps that's true.
But think it's a bit harsh on Elding cos had we scored from our numerous chances (wasn't just him), I doubt we would be even be discussing all this.
Quoted from BIGChris
Cook needs to develop and Soutwell isnt ready to start games on a regular basis.

Are you judging them on 6 and 15 mins of football !?  
Quoted from BIGChris
I still think GPearson could do well but if he cant get in the matchday 16 then that says it all.

Agree he could do well but don't understand your point here.
Surely any non inclusion would suggest we had a strong squad not a weak one ?

Please don't say you're assuming Pearson "isn't up to it" just cos he's not in the squad ?
Could be any reason like a last minute knock but ATEOTD Just cos someone's down the pecking order it doesn't really mean anything.
Maybe they're ALL "not up to it" maybe not but sorry, if they're not playing they're not playing....

If we're gonna blame people seems to me Neilson and the Macc goalkeeper are the prime targets !

Put it this way - if Cook and Southwell need time to develop then we've got to:
a) give them a chance to play just in case they ARE already good enough (or better than Elding) and we don't know it yet.
b) cut them SOME slack as younger players if they don't instantly fire on all cylinders.
c) sign someone else ? (not convinced Neilson up front is the answer either !)

So yeah, perhaps we've got some tough selections decisions to make up front.

But if people are unhappy with team selection then perhaps they should say who should be playing BEFORE the game and not after. (not talking about you here Chris only in general but if the cap fits...)

Anyway proud of the players efforts today at least.
Think it's true to say there were more good performances than bad against a fairly decent team (albeit that we still should be beating)
Reply: 33 - 62
barralad
October 27, 2012, 8:23pm
Mariners Trust
For what it's worth they rarely looked like scoring and it was going to take a penalty or something wind assisted for them to find the net. Most are crediting their keeper (and rightly so IMO-the two saves down at his near post were excellent) but on the rare occasion when the Macc Lads pierced our defence McKeown made a couple of excellent saves. He also made a brilliant tackle after persisting in his ridiculous habit of coming up at the end for corners.
Thought Bradley Wood had a very good game although it frightens me when he stands so far off the guy he's meant to be marking. Pond and particularly Pearson were solid with Pearson making those surging runs out of defence.
Thomas a bit hit and miss.
Colbeck likewise although he looked better on the left for part of the first half.
I thought Niven was excellent today (My MOM). He won a lot and played umpteen short passes to those with (allegedly) more flair.
Disley looked hesitant at times seemingly prepared to escort their midfield rather than get a tackle in. Their 19 (Kissock) was allowed to run all over when really what he needed was a tough but fair tackle early doors to keep him quiet.
Those knocking Neilsen (yes, it was a stupid thing to do and we cannot really afford him missing for three matches) have obviously forgotten that he produced at least two of our best efforts which was two more than his mate Hannah managed. Neilsen has very quick feet and a quick mind to go with it. Sometimes the others don't seem to think as quickly as evidenced by Hannah when he set off too late for what should have been an excellent through ball.
Hannah disappointed me. He didn't get great service but he was largely anonymous.
Elding did what Elding does-very little. In his defence the chance in the last seconds when he hit the post came very quickly and the angle wasn't great. There was also an occasion where he looked up to cross but all he saw were the five Macc defenders. Why we don't have a forward prepared to gamble on that sort of situation is beyond me-I thought Hannah might have fancied his chances but obviously not.
For me Town's best spell of the game came just after the first substitution. Thanoj in midfield allowed Neilsen to push forward and Macc didn't know how to handle him initially. Their eventual answer was to put two men on him-hence his ultimate frustration.
Cook didn't have long enough but probably isn't the sort of goal machine we needed. Southwell flattered to deceive and showed himself to be well short of the finished article. Still at least we weren't treated to a cameo appearance by Artus so perhaps we should be thankful for small mercies.
Slightly worrying from the managers point of view must be how predictable we are going forward. Today there was a lot of nice passing but we hardly ever hurt them with it or even upped the tempo.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 62
grimsby pete
October 27, 2012, 8:27pm

Exile
Quoted from barralad
For what it's worth they rarely looked like scoring and it was going to take a penalty or something wind assisted for them to find the net. Most are crediting their keeper (and rightly so IMO-the two saves down at his near post were excellent) but on the rare occasion when the Macc Lads pierced our defence McKeown made a couple of excellent saves. He also made a brilliant tackle after persisting in his ridiculous habit of coming up at the end for corners.
Thought Bradley Wood had a very good game although it frightens me when he stands so far off the guy he's meant to be marking. Pond and particularly Pearson were solid with Pearson making those surging runs out of defence.
Thomas a bit hit and miss.
Colbeck likewise although he looked better on the left for part of the first half.
I thought Niven was excellent today (My MOM). He won a lot and played umpteen short passes to those with (allegedly) more flair.
Disley looked hesitant at times seemingly prepared to escort their midfield rather than get a tackle in. Their 19 (Kissock) was allowed to run all over when really what he needed was a tough but fair tackle early doors to keep him quiet.
Those knocking Neilsen (yes, it was a stupid thing to do and we cannot really afford him missing for three matches) have obviously forgotten that he produced at least two of our best efforts which was two more than his mate Hannah managed. Neilsen has very quick feet and a quick mind to go with it. Sometimes the others don't seem to think as quickly as evidenced by Hannah when he set off too late for what should have been an excellent through ball.
Hannah disappointed me. He didn't get great service but he was largely anonymous.
Elding did what Elding does-very little. In his defence the chance in the last seconds when he hit the post came very quickly and the angle wasn't great. There was also an occasion where he looked up to cross but all he saw were the five Macc defenders. Why we don't have a forward prepared to gamble on that sort of situation is beyond me-I thought Hannah might have fancied his chances but obviously not.
For me Town's best spell of the game came just after the first substitution. Thanoj in midfield allowed Neilsen to push forward and Macc didn't know how to handle him initially. Their eventual answer was to put two men on him-hence his ultimate frustration.
Cook didn't have long enough but probably isn't the sort of goal machine we needed. Southwell flattered to deceive and showed himself to be well short of the finished article. Still at least we weren't treated to a cameo appearance by Artus so perhaps we should be thankful for small mercies.
Slightly worrying from the managers point of view must be how predictable we are going forward. Today there was a lot of nice passing but we hardly ever hurt them with it or even upped the tempo.

Very good report Ian,

Its a good job the clocks go back tonight,

It will give 80's chance to analyse all that and report back.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 62
oldun
October 27, 2012, 8:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Actually I thought Elding had one of his better games today, especially in the first half.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 62
Rick12
October 27, 2012, 8:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

respect

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 62
Rick12
October 27, 2012, 8:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete

Very good report Ian,

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 62
80sglory
October 27, 2012, 8:34pm
Guest User
Good analysis barralad.

Quoted from barralad
For me Town's best spell of the game came just after the first substitution.

Agree and thought the managers got it right.
But like you say about Kissock, did we really harry or close them down enough in a 4-4-2 ?

And is it just me or does anyone think Pond isn't looking quite as reassured (albeit did nothing wrong per se) at the back ?
Wondering if Miller & Pearson at the back and "athletic" Pond could do a job in midfield (who knows I don't !)
Reply: 39 - 62
wigworld
October 27, 2012, 8:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
On McKeown: he's looked far more dangerous than Cook or Elding in the oppositions box the last two home games I've seen.
I suggest we stick him up front and put Greg Fleming in goal.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 62
barralad
October 27, 2012, 8:47pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from 1600

Yes Neilson could have scored but more often than not had a total nightmare   and is in danger of being labelled Mr Greedy.

Chances aside (not convinced they were sitters) thought Elding had another good game in open play !    
But yes, he's got his limitations (including in the goalscoring dept), didn't we realise ?  

Someone who can work hard and hold the ball up ? Well that's Elding...

If we need better all round players then fair enough, perhaps that's true.
But think it's a bit harsh on Elding cos had we scored from our numerous chances (wasn't just him), I doubt we would be even be discussing all this.

But if people are unhappy with team selection then perhaps they should say who should be playing BEFORE the game and not after. (not talking about you here Chris only in general but if the cap fits...)

Anyway proud of the players efforts today at least.
Think it's true to say there were more good performances than bad against a fairly decent team (albeit that we still should be beating)

Firstly I'm not sure how it's possible to have a "total nightmare" more often than not but...say what you like about Neilson he makes things happen. It's got to the stage where I don't EXPECT Elding to do anything with the ball and, on the evidence of the last couple of games Hannah is heading the same way. As I said in my mammoth 80's style earlier post he quite simply thinks quicker than the others. That's not to excuse his apparent "greed" but at least he wants to get stuck in there.

Your support of Elding is commendable if lacking any real evidence-unless you are one of those taken in by his charging all over the pitch to little or no effect. I don't even see much concrete evidence of his "holding the ball up". At times today he exhibited the control of a squash court wall.
You may be right about the scenario had we won but we didn't so, unsurprisingly people are going to look at the weak links-you should know that!!
A question: why is it so wrong to criticise team selection after the game? at least it is dealing with the facts and not someone's opinion. TBH though I think our managers are in a difficult position forward-wise. Obviously the players we have were recruited with a mind to them playing alongside Hearn and therein lies the only shred of comfort for me that I see in Elding. Perhaps the job of shouldering our attacking options is too much for him whereas he has proved that he is a useful side-kick to Liam.
Just to show balance I do agree with your last paragraph. On another day we would have won comfortably-reminded me of some of the Darlington games when they were generally reckoned to be our "bogey team".
One final point. Chris has blocked you so he won't see the provocative comment about caps fitting...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
TownSNAFU5
October 27, 2012, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Thought we missed Hearn today.

Sat in the UF on the half-way line.  From there thought there were 2 penalties and a sending off.  All of them "unforced errors" as they say.  The red card annoyed me the most.  It was like "Beckam's niggly, frustrated kick against the Argies in the Word Cup.  That "should be" 3 penalties given away in 2 home games.  

Their keeper deserves a lot of credit as MOM.  We would have won the game on another day.   We took the initiative more in the second half.  Against Forest Green it paid off. Not today.  Their little no 19 in midfield was very good for them.  They still won the game after he was subbed.

Thought that too many their players were allowed to run towards the penalty Area from defence/midfield without enough challenges being made.  

Pearson was good and even mounted some good forward runs.  Elding has been well-commented on.

I think that Wood could develop further as a player by a) passing quicker and b) just taking a "good"passing option instead of taking the wrong option, going for the perfect pass or being uncertain by having multiple options.  After about 15 mins Elding was shouting for a cross from the right.  He was in some space. Bradley had the ball, looked to cross but did not cross.  He passed short and the attack floundered.   Early in the second half there was fast break on with a number of Town players in good positions.  Bradley had the ball.  He had plenty of options to pass and keep the attack going, most of them good or reasonable.  To the groans of the crowd and frustration of the players, he made the wrong (late) choice and the attack broke down. He will learn through experience.

Despite the wind and cold, I quite enjoyed the game.  Plenty of chances.   We will play worse and win this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
grimsby pete
October 27, 2012, 8:55pm

Exile
Quoted from grimsby pete

Very good report Ian,

Its also a good job for Ian, so he can reanalyse 80's,  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
BIGChris
October 27, 2012, 9:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from barralad

One final point. Chris has blocked you so he won't see the provocative comment about caps fitting...

Until some old senile sodomist goes and quotes him!!!!
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
80sglory
October 27, 2012, 9:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad

Firstly I'm not sure how it's possible to have a "total nightmare" more often than not but...say what you like about Neilson he makes things happen.

Agree he makes things happen but don't think it's unfair to say apart from the shot and 1 or 2 bits that he had a bad one today.
Quoted from barralad
As I said in my mammoth 80's style earlier post he quite simply thinks quicker than the others.

Just think he tried to do it all himself today.
Now perhaps that's acceptable with his ability but whether he's thinking "quick" or slow as a zimmer frame he made heaps of poor choices today IMO and for the card deserves the stick IMO.
Quoted from barralad
That's not to excuse his apparent "greed" but at least he wants to get stuck in there.

True but somehow I can't see you defending Elding in the same manner.
Quoted from barralad
Your support of Elding is commendable if lacking any real evidence

Ok let's forget the balls he won in the air today.
What about that "flick" he did in 1st half where Hannah was flagged offside ?
Wasn't that a very good bit of play and just a wee bit unlucky ?
Quoted from barralad
You may be right about the scenario had we won but we didn't so, unsurprisingly people are going to look at the weak links-you should know that!!

Of course.
Just trying to put things in perspective.
ATEOTD either you've got "problems" or you haven't.
To suggest the width of a wooden post is the difference between whether Southwell or Cook is up to it seems somewhat ridiculous.
Quoted from barralad
A question: why is it so wrong to criticise team selection after the game?

Nothing wrong with it at all.
Just saying it's up to managers to pick from the players they have available.
If Chris doesn't like Elding, Cook, Southwell (or Pearson ?) then who exactly does he want to see play in the next game ?
Quoted from barralad
TBH though I think our managers are in a difficult position forward-wise.

That's the point I'm making....
It's easy to complain but no so easy to say what you'd do instead.
Quoted from barralad
Perhaps the job of shouldering our attacking options is too much for him whereas he has proved that he is a useful side-kick to Liam

Doesn't suprise me tbh.
Didn't most work that one out a long time ago ?!

So it's not a case of "support" for Elding (and you'll see I'm not the only one who thought he played well in parts today), just trying to give a balanced opinion.
Quoted from barralad

Hardly provocative (see above).
Anyway if Chris has chosen to block me then it's his own decision and his own loss of reply.
Reply: 45 - 62
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 27, 2012, 9:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,084
Gold Stars: 195
Quoted from BIGChris

Until some old senile sodomist goes and quotes him!!!!

Could be worse big man! Bath away with Henry cooper!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
barralad
October 27, 2012, 9:39pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from 1600

To suggest the width of a wooden post is the difference between whether Southwell or Cook is up to it seems somewhat ridiculous.

I'd agree with that. We will just have to agree to disagree re: Elding.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
hook line and sinker
October 27, 2012, 9:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Todays match

There goalkeeper was awesome stoped countless efforts going in

Eldings a waste of time not clinical enough infront of goal

jury is still out on our team for me,yes our goalkeeper and defence are class other than that we are struggling.Neilson,disley,niven and hearn are good players and would go straight into the team but the other positions ad players coming off the bench are not good enough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Super Clive
October 27, 2012, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Send Neilson back???? Lol best player we have had for years especially on the left side.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
80sglory
October 27, 2012, 10:05pm
Guest User
Fair enough barralad, footballs all about opinions.

tbf I don't particularly disagree with you, I'm not sure I'd start him next game myself.
Always tough to decide how long to stick with a player (or a partnership) but perhaps it's high time we looked at other options if only to compare.

I guess Cook/Hannah is one "target man + striker" partnership option but don't ask me who should start I've not really seen enough to form a confident opinion of anyone else.
Reply: 50 - 62
Abdul19
October 27, 2012, 10:20pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from wigworld
On McKeown: he's looked far more dangerous than Cook or Elding in the oppositions box the last two home games I've seen.
I suggest we stick him up front and put Greg Fleming in goal.  

The way he won the ball back when they broke out from their own corner suggested he could do a job in centre mid too!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
oldun
October 27, 2012, 10:31pm

Whiskey Drinker
Several people have commented that they thought Kissock was a class player for them. No doubt he is a busy skilfully player but you  have to ask how much end product came from his efforts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
80sglory
October 27, 2012, 10:33pm
Guest User
Good point, not that much.
Reply: 53 - 62
October 27, 2012, 10:35pm
Guest User
Quoted from BIGChris

We really need a different option up front as many have suggested. Elding does nothing for me, Hannah is a box player and a decent finisher but hasnt got a great all round game. Cook needs to develop and Soutwell isnt ready to start games on a regular basis. I still think GPearson could do well but if he cant get in the matchday 16 then that says it all.

Very cold in the Upper

I've nothing to add to the above. A perfect summary, the last paragraph could have made at 14.59 today.
Reply: 54 - 62
Marinerz93
October 27, 2012, 11:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from oldun
Several people have commented that they thought Kissock was a class player for them. No doubt he is a busy skilfully player but you  have to ask how much end product came from his efforts?

His movement off the ball leaves our center midfield players to shame, if we had him I believe we would have won comfortably.  His movement and energy released other players to get into better positions and he gave his team mates options that ours haven't in the last 3 home games.  His link up play today was above this league and if you watched him he rarely made a mistake.  He could run with the ball, lay it off and read the game very well.  His performance today was twice that of our captain Disley.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
BlackBoots
October 27, 2012, 11:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Quoted from oldun

THIS

Kissock wanted the ball, ran across the pitch but never once played a pass forward to open us up. Yes he stood out with his flowing locks and size but he did sodomist all in the genuine creative side of the game.

The sort of midfielder who, if he played for us, would get lambasted for being a show pony with no substance!

He was also substituted
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
aaron rattray
October 28, 2012, 7:52am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
John paul kissock his name is, he was skillful but it was always the same thing foot on ball and drag it back but we wasn't clever enough to see that and form a plan to stop him, Hannah just didn't inspire me at all yesterday and i disagreed with scott and hursts substitutions, i would of taken of elding and replaced him with cook on 65 minutes, in my view cook is getting better, did Pearson get booked yesterday and is he suspended now against tamworth?

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
hook line and sinker
October 28, 2012, 8:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Kissock a good busy hard working footballer but like mentioned above there wasnt much end product, maybe if he had better players around him he would look really good.Flattered to deceive a lot of the time as most of his creative work came to nothing. I wasnt impressed with them at all and if we had anything about us we wouldnt of lost the home games that we have.We are not ruthless enough i'm affraid to get out this league, not the way crawley and cheatwood was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
chaos33
October 28, 2012, 9:27am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
And that's the key point. We don't have their qualities.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
South Lincs Mariner
October 28, 2012, 11:50am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but be prepared for more non-league football for a while to come
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 62
Eastendmariner
October 28, 2012, 11:56am
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
I thought we played very well in paches. But it is about making at least one of the many chances count ..and didn't
their keepr had a great game..

i thougt maccs were poor  gave the ball, away no 8 was kack.. they should of had an early pen and can't really argue about the one that was given
really disappointed but on to the next game

good day out with the fun boy three !!

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 62
ginnywings
October 29, 2012, 5:13pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from grimsby pete

The rest will come when we are winning and stay away as soon as we lose 1 or 2.

I would class myself as one of the loyal 3000 but i chose not to go on Saturday and didn't miss it at all.

Normally only miss games when i have no choice; holidays, family commitments etc and usually want to be at the game when i'm not there, but Town have finally worn me down.  I'm just not getting that matchday buzz anymore.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 62
7 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.