7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
wigworld
October 27, 2012, 8:34pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
On McKeown: he's looked far more dangerous than Cook or Elding in the oppositions box the last two home games I've seen.
I suggest we stick him up front and put Greg Fleming in goal.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 62
barralad
October 27, 2012, 8:47pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 1600

Yes Neilson could have scored but more often than not had a total nightmare   and is in danger of being labelled Mr Greedy.

Chances aside (not convinced they were sitters) thought Elding had another good game in open play !    
But yes, he's got his limitations (including in the goalscoring dept), didn't we realise ?  

Someone who can work hard and hold the ball up ? Well that's Elding...

If we need better all round players then fair enough, perhaps that's true.
But think it's a bit harsh on Elding cos had we scored from our numerous chances (wasn't just him), I doubt we would be even be discussing all this.

But if people are unhappy with team selection then perhaps they should say who should be playing BEFORE the game and not after. (not talking about you here Chris only in general but if the cap fits...)

Anyway proud of the players efforts today at least.
Think it's true to say there were more good performances than bad against a fairly decent team (albeit that we still should be beating)

Firstly I'm not sure how it's possible to have a "total nightmare" more often than not but...say what you like about Neilson he makes things happen. It's got to the stage where I don't EXPECT Elding to do anything with the ball and, on the evidence of the last couple of games Hannah is heading the same way. As I said in my mammoth 80's style earlier post he quite simply thinks quicker than the others. That's not to excuse his apparent "greed" but at least he wants to get stuck in there.

Your support of Elding is commendable if lacking any real evidence-unless you are one of those taken in by his charging all over the pitch to little or no effect. I don't even see much concrete evidence of his "holding the ball up". At times today he exhibited the control of a squash court wall.
You may be right about the scenario had we won but we didn't so, unsurprisingly people are going to look at the weak links-you should know that!!
A question: why is it so wrong to criticise team selection after the game? at least it is dealing with the facts and not someone's opinion. TBH though I think our managers are in a difficult position forward-wise. Obviously the players we have were recruited with a mind to them playing alongside Hearn and therein lies the only shred of comfort for me that I see in Elding. Perhaps the job of shouldering our attacking options is too much for him whereas he has proved that he is a useful side-kick to Liam.
Just to show balance I do agree with your last paragraph. On another day we would have won comfortably-reminded me of some of the Darlington games when they were generally reckoned to be our "bogey team".
One final point. Chris has blocked you so he won't see the provocative comment about caps fitting...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 62
TownSNAFU5
October 27, 2012, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Thought we missed Hearn today.

Sat in the UF on the half-way line.  From there thought there were 2 penalties and a sending off.  All of them "unforced errors" as they say.  The red card annoyed me the most.  It was like "Beckam's niggly, frustrated kick against the Argies in the Word Cup.  That "should be" 3 penalties given away in 2 home games.  

Their keeper deserves a lot of credit as MOM.  We would have won the game on another day.   We took the initiative more in the second half.  Against Forest Green it paid off. Not today.  Their little no 19 in midfield was very good for them.  They still won the game after he was subbed.

Thought that too many their players were allowed to run towards the penalty Area from defence/midfield without enough challenges being made.  

Pearson was good and even mounted some good forward runs.  Elding has been well-commented on.

I think that Wood could develop further as a player by a) passing quicker and b) just taking a "good"passing option instead of taking the wrong option, going for the perfect pass or being uncertain by having multiple options.  After about 15 mins Elding was shouting for a cross from the right.  He was in some space. Bradley had the ball, looked to cross but did not cross.  He passed short and the attack floundered.   Early in the second half there was fast break on with a number of Town players in good positions.  Bradley had the ball.  He had plenty of options to pass and keep the attack going, most of them good or reasonable.  To the groans of the crowd and frustration of the players, he made the wrong (late) choice and the attack broke down. He will learn through experience.

Despite the wind and cold, I quite enjoyed the game.  Plenty of chances.   We will play worse and win this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 62
grimsby pete
October 27, 2012, 8:55pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from grimsby pete

Very good report Ian,

Its a good job the clocks go back tonight,

It will give 80's chance to analyse all that and report back.

Its also a good job for Ian, so he can reanalyse 80's,  

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 62
BIGChris
October 27, 2012, 9:07pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from barralad

One final point. Chris has blocked you so he won't see the provocative comment about caps fitting...

Until some old senile sodomist goes and quotes him!!!!
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 62
80sglory
October 27, 2012, 9:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from barralad

Firstly I'm not sure how it's possible to have a "total nightmare" more often than not but...say what you like about Neilson he makes things happen.

Agree he makes things happen but don't think it's unfair to say apart from the shot and 1 or 2 bits that he had a bad one today.
Quoted from barralad
As I said in my mammoth 80's style earlier post he quite simply thinks quicker than the others.

Just think he tried to do it all himself today.
Now perhaps that's acceptable with his ability but whether he's thinking "quick" or slow as a zimmer frame he made heaps of poor choices today IMO and for the card deserves the stick IMO.
Quoted from barralad
That's not to excuse his apparent "greed" but at least he wants to get stuck in there.

True but somehow I can't see you defending Elding in the same manner.
Quoted from barralad
Your support of Elding is commendable if lacking any real evidence

Ok let's forget the balls he won in the air today.
What about that "flick" he did in 1st half where Hannah was flagged offside ?
Wasn't that a very good bit of play and just a wee bit unlucky ?
Quoted from barralad
You may be right about the scenario had we won but we didn't so, unsurprisingly people are going to look at the weak links-you should know that!!

Of course.
Just trying to put things in perspective.
ATEOTD either you've got "problems" or you haven't.
To suggest the width of a wooden post is the difference between whether Southwell or Cook is up to it seems somewhat ridiculous.
Quoted from barralad
A question: why is it so wrong to criticise team selection after the game?

Nothing wrong with it at all.
Just saying it's up to managers to pick from the players they have available.
If Chris doesn't like Elding, Cook, Southwell (or Pearson ?) then who exactly does he want to see play in the next game ?
Quoted from barralad
TBH though I think our managers are in a difficult position forward-wise.

That's the point I'm making....
It's easy to complain but no so easy to say what you'd do instead.
Quoted from barralad
Perhaps the job of shouldering our attacking options is too much for him whereas he has proved that he is a useful side-kick to Liam

Doesn't suprise me tbh.
Didn't most work that one out a long time ago ?!

So it's not a case of "support" for Elding (and you'll see I'm not the only one who thought he played well in parts today), just trying to give a balanced opinion.
Quoted from barralad

Hardly provocative (see above).
Anyway if Chris has chosen to block me then it's his own decision and his own loss of reply.
Reply: 45 - 62
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 27, 2012, 9:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,084
Gold Stars: 195
Quoted from BIGChris

Until some old senile sodomist goes and quotes him!!!!

Could be worse big man! Bath away with Henry cooper!

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 62
barralad
October 27, 2012, 9:39pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from 1600

To suggest the width of a wooden post is the difference between whether Southwell or Cook is up to it seems somewhat ridiculous.

I'd agree with that. We will just have to agree to disagree re: Elding.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 62
hook line and sinker
October 27, 2012, 9:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Todays match

There goalkeeper was awesome stoped countless efforts going in

Eldings a waste of time not clinical enough infront of goal

jury is still out on our team for me,yes our goalkeeper and defence are class other than that we are struggling.Neilson,disley,niven and hearn are good players and would go straight into the team but the other positions ad players coming off the bench are not good enough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 62
Super Clive
October 27, 2012, 9:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Send Neilson back???? Lol best player we have had for years especially on the left side.
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.