August 19, 2012, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
Confidence is such a fickle thing

These are young men in a profession where confidence is essential to success, I agree we must all perform at work but any one of us would suffer and under perform if we were criticised  publicly at every eventuality

It is also true that we all pay for the pleasure but it seems to me that some fans pleasure is to show they know more than the managers and players by having a go.

I don't know what it is like at other clubs but my son spent a lot of time at Norwich watching their recent demise through the leagues and bearing in mind, they have played in Europe not so long back, the fans stuck with them.
Now he is back supporting the Mariners with me, he cannot believe the negativity.

Another thought is how this atmosphere will affect the younger fans coming through.

I know several young lads 17 ish who have completed a commando's course and then went on to serve in Afghanistan.  When people were trying to kill them they kept their cool and got on with their job.  The pressure most normal people get at work is the threat of being sacked if they don't work hard, they don't have the luxury of having off days or a cushy contract.  This is just more bullshit excuses, what next, someone looks a player funny and it puts him off his game for the season.

It's very easy to stick with a club that has experiences Europe and their fall is a rapid short one and not one that has been pusstering away for a decade.

Some fans will go and gripe about anything and the only way to silence these is by hard work, never giving up and getting us out of this cesspit before JF stops the funding.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 45
marinette
August 19, 2012, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Well, Mike Newell got sacked for other reasons, apparently, and he said the fans at BP accepted poor performances far too easily and should get angrier about them (something like that).

If you look back, there was a time when we went for ages and ages without winning away from home - months on end -  possibly when Slade first arrived? - can't remember the exact dates - and then Macca scored at Cambridge to put it right.  Can hardly blame those poor performances on the fans - our away fans are traditionally very supportive.  

Was the BP crowd very vociferously negative vs Hull in pre-season?  Perhaps that's why all our new players were so frightened to play good football on Tuesday?  

Didn't hear that much negativity yesterday until right at the end, and the booing then was probably deserved.  And the home crowd was very quick to respond positively to the goal that never was, as I have already mentioned elsewhere.

The thing that I find comical is the way people are assuming that Rob Scott is blaming the fans for booing and negative comments during a game, when he is probably the champion at gobbing off at all and sundry -  he let's them have it with both barrels whenever he feels like it.  It has far more of an effect when he does it, too, because he's their gaffer!     (I actually don't think he was criticising the fans at all when he said what he did about 'manning up' - I think he just felt that the players felt under pressure to win and play more of an attacking game at home, which is completely normal in football, n'est-ce pas?  

Private Message
Reply: 11 - 45
lew chaterleys lover
August 19, 2012, 7:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,810
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
Rob Scott is right, his players and most others in recent times have struggled to play at Blundell Park.

Why?....Because it is full of negative moaners who start to criticise as soon as things don't go our way.

If they kick it long, pass it short comes the cry..... if they pass it around, get it in the box early comes the cry from the same fans...

Booing them off after only the 2nd game is disgraceful and this has gone on for years

Negativity from the stands has transmitted to the pitch resulting in where we are now.

Different managers have come and gone, so have the players. All with the same tragic results.

We, the fans, are the common denominator that has stood between our demise and success.

Yes we turn up in numbers and there are a lot of fantastic fans but get shouted out by others (the type that scream and shout at kids teams on a Saturday morning) who think it is our given right to win every game in this league.

Year in and year out, confident players sign up only to be dragged down by the BP negativity

We blame everyone...players, managers, chairmen, the board but we ought to look closer to home.

We may not like it but RS is telling us the truth....ultimately it will cost him his job......and so we start again.

Try getting behind them for 90 minutes however they are playing and see if performances and results change!!!

What a load of old tosh.

Its the same at every club in the land for goodness sake.

Man.City won the premier league but did you hear the fans moan big style after a misplaced pass??

We have been very very patient for 10 years or so.750 went to Southport and the home attendances have been decent despite the decline.Most of us on Saturday were sat there in disbelief but at a lot of clubs there would have been relentless chants for the chairmans head long before now.

If you are looking for someone to blame try the man who has overseen this catastrophic decline.  

Private Message
Reply: 12 - 45
Marinerz93

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Excellent post marinette.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 45
ExLeightonMariner
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / -6
Ah, I think I get it now, we should all be happy about paying good money to watch sub-standard crap in a pub league.  I'm with you now.  However, after a reality check I distinctly remember GTFC giving a bloody nose to the big boys in the not too dim and distant past.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 45
barralad
August 19, 2012, 7:58pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127
I've been a contributor to this forum for more than 4 years and this comes up every couple of months. Personally I don't think Town fans are any worse than those of most other clubs. If anything I've been critical of the penchant Town fans have for players who are on the physical side at the exclusion of some of our more skillful but less willing to go in where it hurts players. It's a bit chicken and egg but the players should realise that if they put a shift in and give the fans something to cheer about they will respond.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 45
Gary Haddock
August 19, 2012, 8:10pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
ok ok ok, if not the fans what? 10 years you say? how many different managers? how many different players? why do you think they all have had simular results then?

[IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/zya4af.jpg[/IMG]

GTFC's black and white army.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/GTFCs-black-and-white-army/494332320600710?ref=hl
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 45
roundballovalhole
August 19, 2012, 8:20pm
Guest User
Quoted from Gary Haddock
ok ok ok, if not the fans what? 10 years you say? how many different managers? how many different players? why do you think they all have had simular results then?

One common denominator. . . Mr John tory boy Fenty!
Reply: 17 - 45
shaunieboy
August 19, 2012, 8:20pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +8 / -3
thank god someone else agrees with what i said last year, where has the support gone in the pontoon i can remember the times we used to sing for 90 mins this has got to have a real support to the lads on the field. all you hear at the games now a days in criticism all the time and all those would be managers saying what they would do. i also agree that most of these that slag the players of are those that stand shouting abuse at kids on a sunday morning telling there sons to break his leg, we dont want these fans down at the park and until the negativity stops of the field and realising we have no forgiven right to be at the top of the league this poor run will continue.  so in the words of scotty if you dont flipping like it dont flipping come.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 45
roundballovalhole
August 19, 2012, 8:23pm
Guest User
Scotty?
It's the fan's fault?
Shaunie boy. . . . You're a fu(ktard!
Reply: 19 - 45
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Home Truth

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.