1mickylyons
August 18, 2012, 9:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,393
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from VS Boro

Bu the saying is "as good as the opposition lets you play".
I bet, if you were playing Luton and put in same performance with same result you would not be saying that.

Yep, expect to beat Nuneaton ( I certainly did) but fact is there are 24 clubs in this league on merit

You were irrelevant just like Southport and Stockport we simply have players not doing what they are paid to do and Managers who cannot motivate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 94
pontoonlew
August 18, 2012, 10:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
'As good as the opposition lets you play'

I'm normally pretty open to the smaller clubs and quite respectful to them. But how an Nuneaton fan can be proud of that performance or believe that they in any way did well and stopped us playing is absolutely dumfounding. We were terrible, the worst i've probably ever seen us play and somehow not lose. You know why we didn't lose today? Because Nuneaton were even flipping worse! Totally clueless, void of ideas and had either of us played anybody else today we would've been flipping spanked.

It was the football equivalent of that badminton game in the Olympics where both sides tried purposely lose. So if as a Nuneaton fan you take heart from today, I suggest you prepare for a looooooooong season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 94
hook line and sinker
August 18, 2012, 10:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Quoted from VS Boro
As a Nuneaton supporter can we have a little bit of praise.
Conceeded nine in 2 games and was flattered by a 4-0 defeat at Newport.
Today manager decided to play with 2 strikers (previously one), and 3 center backs in a 5-3-2/3-5-2 where upto now its been 4-5-1 and it worked.
Even "star loan signing" from Premiership club could only make the bench (amazed us all)

Someone mentioned "part time cloggers". VERY harsh. Three games played, no bookings, and not even a "talking to" from referee (may have been one today).

The treatment your players dished out to York (young little striker) was on times thuggerish, and the push in premier would have seen red (off course player would have had to act like a premier player also).

We enjoyed today. As things had gone a 0-0 is brilliant for us.
We feared the worse in this league having got stuffed by Newport and Ebbsfleet scoring at will.
However, if Grimsby on todays performance is anything to go by, safety is a possibility.

Oh. Enjoyed hospitality. Stewards were excellent.  Nice chat in pub before hand (and cheap beer)

Sorry if any trouble afterward, but these "Boro" fans decided to leave at half time........lets face it, thats what supporters do!!!!!!!!
We dont have the biggest fan base, but I have only seen these at games we dont want to see them.

todays game had very much an early round fa cup tie feel to it just without the passion. It was a dull affair and arguably the worst game of football iive witnessed at blundell park.As the others have said 2 poor displays today from our clubs.You can take heart because stockport wasnt much better than yourselves but both of you are up there for there worst sides ive seen.So negative its unbeleivable,but thats what teams do when they come here park the bus and play for a point and if they are good enough maybe 3points by playing defensive counter attack
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 94
nickmariners
August 18, 2012, 10:46pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Don't get me wrong -- I absolutely agree that today's performance was a huge let-down, but I HAVE seen even worse performances than this.   Not that this is good news either.

Crikey, in the last, say 4 years, there have been ample examples not just of the shapeless headless-chickeness that we were forced to witness this afternoon, but also of abject spineless chuck-it-in surrender.  Thank goodness that aspect at least was absent today.

My tuppenn'orth of coaching advice:

1) Show for the ball when your team-mate has it, give him easy options for useful distribution

2) Talk to your team-mates, and shout for the ball too -- if you've forgotten your new team-mate's name (many of them seem never to have been introduced to each other today), read the helpful big label on the back of his shirt

3) Your team-mates are generally to be found wearing black & white stripey shirts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 94
August 18, 2012, 10:53pm
Guest User
Absolute dog excrement football I thought the performance against Hornchurch last season was bad really bad but this totally drunk all over that, I've never been so bored at a game in all my life I've never seen a town team so excrement in all my life they never had a clue, no drive, desire, urgency, passion, passing and movement was non existent no one seemed to want the ball it was just hoof don't give me girl private.

Nuneaton where urine poor shite and will certainly be going back down to where they came from they were there to be spanked it was damage limitation for them it should of been a case of how many we was going to score, but as in the previous games there was no service or drive from midfield and I'm going to single out Disley because he always seems to slip under the the radar and yes Colbeck and Soares were male masturbation but we needed leadership and a bit of inspiration from him today but as more often than not he turned into the invisible man totally overrated in my opinion.

what the fook do Cannon and Ball actually work on in training? because it's obviously not passing and movement by the time we did score I'l be honest and say I was glad the goal was disallowed so to highlight that tripe of a performance without the "well we won" excuse, I just cannot justify paying £18 anymore to see that garbage, and I'm not usually one to through the towel in after a couple of bad performance's  but that weak urine that I witnessed today was nearly enough to put me off watching football, give me a Neil Woods 25 game win'less streak anytime over that stinking turd of a performance, crowds down to the 2000s now boys well down.
Reply: 74 - 94
STB
August 18, 2012, 10:56pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
At least the players will play better as they won't be so scared of the smaller crowds.  

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 94
August 18, 2012, 11:05pm
Guest User
God, that was shocking. I am a postive sort of bloke but that depressed me, we are so bad I can't believe it. RIP Town.
Reply: 76 - 94
kevikov
August 18, 2012, 11:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +854
Gold Stars: 13
It was as poor a game of "football" i have seen for quite a bloody long time. Oh dear. Still,

Kick negativity out ++++++++++      

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 94
GTFC_IMMING
August 18, 2012, 11:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
glad its not only me that fails to see what disley brings to the team,surely from a centre midfielder u want either a combative ball winning player or some one who picks out a pass every now and then providing decent service to the forwards,or as captain atleast someone who doesnt seem to hide away when the excrement hits fan and actually gets amongst the lads n gets them going,disley in my opinion does none of this yet never seems to recieve ne flack. Seems to be another decent name/pedigree player that is happy to see out his contract doin sweet fa for his money not given 2 shits about the crap that us fans r having to put up with
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 94
chaos33
August 18, 2012, 11:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
I didn't see Disley play today, but was at the game on Tuesday. What I witnessed was a player who very often had posession of the ball but, time and again, and when looking around for runners, options and movement found none. This caused him to hang on to the ball too long, give it away or play it backwards. For me, our fundamental problem, as far as the players are concerned (there are obviously managerial/tactical problems at play too), is that we don't have enough (or any?) players who want the ball. Who demand it. Who move into space to receieve it, who anticipate, who play with imagination or urgency. Unless we can find or nurture this we have nothing and we will go nowhere. For me, it really is this simple. We can try different formations, or chop and change the starting line up and bring on three subs at the same time, but unless these players or others brought in can show some bravery and some desire to have the ball and play, we are not going to be in contention.

As for the claptrap about players not being able to play in front of a crowd at Blundell Park, I have to say, what a load of utter to$$.
I wanted proper answers from Rob Scott. Here are my questions: Why won't your players appear to play for you? What have the managers seen in these players that they haven't shown the fans? Why are your players fearful of showing their home supporters why they are professionals? Where is the pride in your team? The guts? What the f*** do you do in training because there is no movement in the team, and no energy?

I don't know - this may be controversial, but maybe Rob Scott is partly to blame? If you were a player, would you be focused and motivated by a screaming, moaning, critical, petulant manager, or would you be intimidated by him? Resentful of him even?

As has been said in another thread; it does seem that there are some fundamental problems that haven't been addressed, and, concerningly, quite a few of them.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.