nickmariners
August 18, 2012, 6:18pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from sparkles
The airshow just after half time was good though............................

Yep, they were excellent -- and they had a far more discernable formation than Team GT - and they kept to it well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 94
ginnywings
August 18, 2012, 6:18pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
See that knob Edinburgh didn't take long to turn Newport around. They were skirting with relegation last season and are now top, putting 4 past Nuneaton along the way.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 94
rickcotown
August 18, 2012, 6:19pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / -1
drunk my weekend of yet again my patience is near to the end i cant take this crap anymore i love my club but dont think i can put up with this much longer puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the week my wife loves the close season

lets be nice now we all follow the town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 94
Maringer
August 18, 2012, 6:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from ginnywings

I thought that at least Thanoj tried to get the ball down and play, which is why i picked him out. The rest of the midfield should be protecting a player like Thanoj so he can do his thing.

I suppose he did try to get it down and play. Unfortunately, he failed most of the time.

Our full-backs had loads and loads of space today but the ball took so long to get to them that they didn't get many chances to do anything with it. It didn't help that their own passing was dire, leading to little more than hoofs up the line.

If Shorty and Shouty wanted to play hoofball, why didn't we sign the pacy and athletic players you need for this style of play?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 94
marinette
August 18, 2012, 6:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
I'm not sure what I was watching this afternoon, but it wasn't football.  Is it possible to die of boredom?

Nuneaton were dismally poor - and we were their equals.  I wish we'd kept Charlie I'Anson, Michael Coulson and Serge, not to mention Michael Leary, and that's saying something.  I didn't think we were particularly great last season (certainly not promotion contenders) but this is beyond belief now.  Just feel totally alienated from this team - can't even identify with the players, there are so many new faces.

Trying to think of something positive to say, but why should I?  It was worse than watching a Mike Newell team - at least Newell had Conlon and Proudlock to add a bit of interest, even if their attitudes were a bit sh1t.  

OK - the one positive thing I saw today was Southwell giving it everything, but he can't do it by himself!

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 94
93mariner
August 18, 2012, 6:24pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
We were awful, we played with no tempo and the only player that attempted to keep the ball on the floor was thanoj. I have no idea what Disley adds to the team and how he is captain. I suppose one positive would be the centre backs although the only job they had was collecting the ball after Nuneaton had hoofed it back to us. Think we need a change of management.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 94
1mickylyons
August 18, 2012, 6:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,393
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from marinette
I'm not sure what I was watching this afternoon, but it wasn't football.  Is it possible to die of boredom?

Nuneaton were dismally poor - and we were their equals.  I wish we'd kept Charlie I'Anson, Michael Coulson and Serge, not to mention Michael Leary, and that's saying something.  I didn't think we were particularly great last season (certainly not promotion contenders) but this is beyond belief now.  Just feel totally alienated from this team - can't even identify with the players, there are so many new faces.

Trying to think of something positive to say, but why should I?  It was worse than watching a Mike Newell team - at least Newell had Conlon and Proudlock to add a bit of interest, even if their attitudes were a bit sh1t.  

OK - the one positive thing I saw today was Southwell giving it everything, but he can't do it by himself!

Probably should be building the team around the likes of Southwell,Wood and Thanoj and trying to bring in a bit of quality on loan down the sides the quality of delivery from wide areas is shocking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 94
jointhetrust
August 18, 2012, 6:25pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Quoted from biggles9999
But most of the all the frustrating thing is that I dont blame the players as such, I think its the way they are being asked to play the game. It seems blindingly obvious to me at least, that we are being asked to pump the ball long and win the second ball.

I actually felt sorry for all 4 strikers as not one of them had a decent ball all game. .

THIS

UTM!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 94
pontoonlew
August 18, 2012, 6:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Never, ever, ever before have I seen a worse game. We were embarrasingly excrement, lumped the ball forward for 90 mins and I don't think one player one a header. I can't remember when we even strung a few passes together, not a single decent effort on goal and the most mistakes i've ever seen a side make in 90 mins. Whats worse is, Nuneaton were even flipping worse!

When your doing a 400 mile round trip especially for the game (granted over a couple of days) to come watch something that makes my flipping blood boil. We'll do absolutely excrement all this season without Hearn on that. Nobody had even a decent game, it was astonishingly bad.

Player ratings (for what its flipping worth)

Mckeown - Not a save to make but his kicking was appaling 5/10

Thomas - He actually looks decent when he gets into the final third, anywhere else in the pitch he was flipping woeful. 4/10

Pond - Just hoofed it forward aimlessly all game and never really looked comfortable on the ball. 4/10

Pearson - As with Pond, just flipping lumped the thing forward. The only thing I can say about the pair of them is that nothing looked like getting past them, which isn't saying a lot given how male masturbation Nuneaton were. 5/10

Hatton - Gave the ball away COUNTLESS times, the only thing I can say about him is that he put in a couple of decent crosses. 4/10

Soares - He gets his big chance today to bring together what everybody has said he's capeable of and we've all forgiven the excrement from last season. In return he puts in an anonymous performance of flipping epic proportions. I can't even comment on how bad he was because he literally did NOTHING. 3/10

Disley - I'm going to be slightly lenient on him & Thanoj on the sole basis that they must have sore necks from watching the ball being pummeled over them all afternoon. We have two creative midfielders there and all we proceed to do is bypass them all flipping game! When he did get the ball however, he was just as poor as everybody else. Especially when he had the ball in the box and drunk about with it. 5/10

Thanoj - The only person who came away from that with any sort of credit and he was still pretty poor. Made some neat passes when he wasn't watching it fly over his head. 6/10

Colbeck - Saw a lot of the ball and wasted it EVERY SINGLE TIME! 4/10

Elding & Cook - Both exactly the same so they can go together, they were flipping disgracefully bad. If Anne Boleyn was in the starting line up this afternoon I guarantee she would've won more headers. If the balls going to be lumped up then at least make a concerted effort to go and win it, neither player could give a intercourse today. 3/10

Subs;

Pearson - Didn't look too bad when it was at his feet, a marked improvement on the clown he replaced.

Southwell - Meh, nothing.

Artus - Better than Soares, but then again that's like saying your a better parent than Joseph Fritzl.

This side sure as excrement better improve, and fast. I'm absolutely livid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 94
oldun
August 18, 2012, 6:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
As someone from the glass half full brigade, I have to admit tonight the glass looks nearly empty. I have witnessed some bad games of football over in over 50 years at Blundell Park but that has to up there with the worst. I excuse Saun Pearson and Nathan Pond, but then they were never really tested and Macca could have sat in the stand he had so little to do. As for the rest of the team, everything was bad. Could not win the ball and keep it, could not pass it properly, could not control the ball properly, no movement, so much so that several times we could not even take a throw in and find a town shirt. We have now used all the strikers at the club and none of them has even looked like scoring, but I do not blame them entirely, they are feeding of crumbs and the incessant high ball lumped forward. I am sure these players are capable of playing much better, but they are beginning to get at each other and the mood in the camp does not seem right somehow. I understand the "sack" word was used in the dressing room after the game by S & H. The lttle bit of positive left in my glass is the fact we have doubled our points total and Wrexham away is next up which gets them away from Blundell Park and perhaps an opportunity and space to get the ball down and play. Here's hoping!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › just back

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.