13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
NorfolkImp
May 16, 2012, 7:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -524
Gold Stars: 11
Glenn Johnson (over Richards), Downing (over Adam Johnson), Gerard captain, and Henderson .... Henderson FFS  

So Roy has total faith in these clowns who served him so well previously?

Having been to the 88' & 92' Championships, I fear a similar outcome!

Private Message
Reply: 100 - 123
lawsman
May 16, 2012, 7:16pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Average players who are not technically gifted, that is how I see this squad of players.
       Until people at the top wake up and smell the coffee , then we will not produce a world class team for at least 10 years.

European clubs have made heavy investments in youth football and actively encouraged the playing of Futsal, for the last 10-12 years something which has only been introduced in this country in the last 5 years seriously.
       We always seem to play catch up with our European counterparts. While we played 4-4-2 they played 3-5-2 , we see their success and decide to switch to 3-5-2 just as the Europeans decide to try 4-4-2.
           Another idea might be is to educate the average english football fan, that getting the ball up to the opposition penalty area as quick as possible is not the way forward!, but play it on the floor and use craft and guile injected with pace ala Barcelona.
European teams allow you the ball in your own half as long as you want but venture into the last third of the pitch and woe betide you, we will get you and break with pace.

Just an observation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 123
gobby
May 16, 2012, 7:40pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Wot no Barton
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 123
supertown
May 16, 2012, 7:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,479
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Paris Mariner

He can play out wide in a 4-3-3 though and has contributed may assists. I just think Sturridge is a better option than Defoe.

fair enough we all have our opinions, but i cant see him playing a 4-3-3 at all and as mentioned earlier he is very greedy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 123
aaron rattray
May 16, 2012, 7:49pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from NorfolkImp
Glenn Johnson (over Richards), Downing (over Adam Johnson), Gerard captain, and Henderson .... Henderson FFS  

So Roy has total faith in these clowns who served him so well previously?

Having been to the 88' & 92' Championships, I fear a similar outcome!

He didn't sign Stewart downing or jordan Henderson anyway Henderson is only a stand by

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 123
supertown
May 16, 2012, 7:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,479
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from aaron rattray

He didn't sign Stewart downing or jordan Henderson anyway Henderson is only a stand by

i dont really understand the standby spots. If we lost Ashley Cole for instance you wouldnt replace him with Jagielka, you would find another left back surely. and likewise Young would not be replaced with Henderson
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 123
Maringer
May 16, 2012, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,689
Gold Stars: 189
Sturridge is tricky and has goals in him.

Unfortunately, he's a lazy so-and-so who isn't willing to track back when he loses the ball. Not a great team player, either and has been criticised for this.

One for the future, perhaps, if he can sort out his workrate.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 123
Tommy
May 16, 2012, 8:06pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
I'm happy enough with the squad as a whole.

The main ones not involved that i would have picked are Micah Richards and Michael Carrick.

Downing takes a lot of stick for his zero assists this season but his chance creation rate has been quite good (can't remember the figure but read it a few weeks ago) - if the Liverpool forwards could finish he would have had plenty of assists. Not saying i would have picked him but he is far from as bad as some make out.

We've got a poor selection of strikers to choose from so he was never going to please everyone there. Gone are the days when we had to actually leave one out from the likes of Shearer, Sheringham, Wright, Fowler and Ferdinand.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 123
Abdul19
May 16, 2012, 8:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,628
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
If English youngsters were good enough they'd still make it. The truth is that we're just not producing players with the technical ability that the top nations do. At youth level emphasis is still placed upon being big and strong, getting the ball forward and winning not about developing technical skills.

Exactly.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 123
Tommy
May 16, 2012, 8:16pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from BIGChris
Whilst i am not THAT bothered above the media hype surrounding the selection I would want to make sure that those selected are actually fit enough to play.

Far too often in tournaments we have gone into them with players carrying a knock making them doubtful for games. I suspect that Ferdinands back problems have played some part in his non selection  and if Parker is injured with only a 50/50 chance of recovery in time for the first game, then he too should be left at home.

It isnt going to happen but i'd have a youthful side rather that the tried and trusted failures. I'd leave Terry and Ferdinand behind and probably Lampard too

For anyone who's interested i wrote an article related to this, with reference to Puyol pulling out of contention for Spain's Euro2012 campaign.
Here it is:
http://footballspeak.com/post/2012/05/13/Puyol-Shows-England-Stars.aspx

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 123
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › England Squad

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.