TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 2, 2012, 2:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from psgmariner
Mourinho would be my choice. He is very close to winning the league in Spain which is an incredible achievement when Barca are around plus he has won the Champions League twice, the Uefa Cup, the FA Cup, the League Cup twice, the Portuguese league twice, the Prem twice and Seria A twice. Compare his medal hall with Arry's FA Cup and Division 2 title. No contest.

To appease the anti foreigners he speaks fluent English, has manged here for a few years previously and would have the respect of the players.

It's WIN WIN WIN for me (that's even better than WIN WIN).

He can speak English better than Harry Redknapp and he can certainly write it better as well, but that does not make Mourinho English. I know it is an old fashioned view but it has always seemed to me daft that there is a birth qualification for the players but not the manager. It can't be a "national" team if you have a foreign manager and winning under those circumstances would be devalued for me.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 59
GTFC R MASSIVE
March 2, 2012, 3:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Yeh i agree Ronny - lets return the Ashes and Redgraves gold medals.  Its got be Arry - look at all the trophies he's won over the years compared to them useless foreigners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 59
Rodley Mariner
March 2, 2012, 3:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,279
Gold Stars: 185
Noticed that there is a big difference in the odds offered on Guardiola - from 16/1 at bet365 to 7/2 with Skybet (which makes him their 2nd favourite behind the most honest man you could ever meet). He'd do me nicely although I reckon give him a couple of weeks trying to get Parker, Gerrard etc playing in pretty triangles and he'll be screaming 'Get it in the mixer' and recalling Heskey before you know it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 59
GTFC R MASSIVE
March 2, 2012, 3:38pm
Beer Drinker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 59
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 2, 2012, 4:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from GTFC R MASSIVE
Yeh i agree Ronny - lets return the Ashes and Redgraves gold medals.  Its got be Arry - look at all the trophies he's won over the years compared to them useless foreigners.

I agree about the Ashes actually. There are too many cricketers using the system just to swap countries and get in a test side. But cricket has always been a bit like that. Even athletics has gone that way with second rankers joining Team GB from abroad. Football never used to be as bad. Mind you I suppose George Raynor did coach Sweden in the 1950s.

It just doesn't seem right though does it? Our football must be really crap if we can't find a decent home grown manager for the national team.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 59
forza ivano
March 2, 2012, 4:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,305
Gold Stars: 266
Football never used to be as bad

sorry rrfc - got to pull you up on that 1! john barnes, owen hargreaves, tony dorigo, cyrille reagis, colin viljoen etc etc

don't think there's space big enough to include all the foreign born welsh, scots and irish intenationals over the years

not forgetting from the past eusebio, di stefano and puskas and nearly all the 1950 US side that beat England
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 59
Eastendmariner
March 2, 2012, 4:40pm
Mariners Trust Life Member
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +942
Gold Stars: 22
I really can't understand this total anti England TEAM attitude !!

it's a personal choice if y not botherd about your national side fortunes, wether english, welsh, scottish, irish.

BUT TO HAVE NO INTREST STRANGE !

so if  R bennet makes the england team you won't raise an eyebrow in intrest.

AND AS FOR STUART PEARCE HE MIGHT NOT BE ALF RAMSEY BUT CAPELLO DIDN'T PERFORM ANY MIRACLES WITH OUR AVERAGE SQUAD... BUT HE'S 24 MIL BETTER OFF

I was at wembley on weds and I think we played ok The dutch are in the top 3 sides on the planet so not to dispondant

Mariner Trust Life Member  

Seen the Mariners win AWAY at 70 league Grounds

Grounds Visited 281[img][/img]

Blundell Park a Training ground for bum ref's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 59
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 2, 2012, 5:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano
Football never used to be as bad

sorry rrfc - got to pull you up on that 1! john barnes, owen hargreaves, tony dorigo, cyrille reagis, colin viljoen etc etc

don't think there's space big enough to include all the foreign born welsh, scots and irish intenationals over the years

not forgetting from the past eusebio, di stefano and puskas and nearly all the 1950 US side that beat England

Not to mention Irish managers!

Yes, fair enough but percentage wise nothing like as bad as the cricket. The ones you mention might not have been born here but they were truly English by adoption, never played first class footie in their country of birth and I think that's the big distinction, the ready made one. Like an athlete who has actually been in the US Olympic Trials, failed and then comes over here to be in Team GB.

Puskas I forgave because he was escaping Hungarian occupation, Di Stefano may be a bit more awkward to forgive being Argentinian and I assume came to Europe for the money, Eusebio only played top football in Portugal not at home didn't he?

I never got that feeling about Petersen when he's batting somehow, different to D'Oliviera for instance.

Private Message
Reply: 57 - 59
March 2, 2012, 6:43pm
Guest User
Quoted from forza ivano

Sorry grim, but there is just so much wrong with this that i don't know where to start. maringer got a lot of good points in. capello a buffoon??? christ man have a look at his record and compare it to 'onest 'arry's. if i remember correctly he got us qualified for 2 major tournaments, with the best record in qualifying ever.i think you'll find that other johnny foreigner (sven) got us qualified for 3 tournaments, reaching the quarters in all 3. that, apart from venables' semi(aided by home advantage) is the best england achievement in nearly 50 years.
you might think 13th out of 32 was the worst finish but i'd strongly argue that 11th in the euros in 2000 was a far far worse result. bet it was a johnny foreigner who managed us then..... oh no it was that passionate,proud english yeoman - kevin keegan. 'i dreaded the day England winning a world cup with a Swede or Italian' - REALLY? HONESTLY? what sort of patriotic englishman are you? i want england to win championships and i don't give a flying fook who's in charge. if you could guarentee me that bluddy coco the clown would lead us to vistory in the euros i'd bite your hand off.
it has to be an englishman?? why? oh yeah ,coz they've got pride and passion and they understand english footballers - that worked soooo well with taylor, mclaren, hoddle and keegan didn't it? I'd argue that you select the best man for the job, no matter what his race,colour,sexuality or religion.
sorry for the rant but i just find the argument that we have to have an englishman as manager as utter and total bollox.

rant over. ps nothing personal!

We will have to agree to disagree on this one for me it has to be an English manager all day long, I stand by my comment "dreading us winning the world cup with a swede or Italian" or any other foreigner for that matter, not sure about coco the clown is he English??
Im more patriotic than you know and as a proud Englishman who has followed England home and away it just wouldnt feel right for me, lifting the trophy with a foreign managerno thanks, I go so far as say im really pleased they failed.
We are a country with a population of around 60 million and its embarrassing that we cannot find an Englishman to manage the English team, you mention the wally with the brolly, turnip head, god squad hoddle, but these idiots where never fit for the job in my opinion, I might be wrong but im pretty sure they wasn't the fans choice which is usually the case with the pig headed F.A. they have always gone against popular opinion and gone for the yes man, yes I know this is bit of a cliche but they always seem to pick the wrong man and i think it will happen again with Redknapp.
Reply: 58 - 59
GTFC R MASSIVE
March 2, 2012, 9:36pm
Beer Drinker
We all surely agree that our support is MASSIVE....so why not bin the national side and just have GTFC representing England?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ingerrrland

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.