6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Mariner_501
February 29, 2012, 11:52pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Is it now cool to not care about England?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 59
Maringer
March 1, 2012, 7:31am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,714
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from 2578
Come on England!! I would of agreed with above post a few weeks ago, but it's good to have a fresh start now that Italian sharp object has gone

Would this be the same Italian sharp object who is one of the most successful club managers of all time? I think it is pretty obvious to most that the failings of the players had more to do with his relative lack of success with England than anything else. I say relative here because, don't forget, despite the dire displays in South Africa, he still had the best win ratio of any England manager. Can't wait to see who his successor will be - Pearce (never won anything as a manager) is currently the caretaker but Redknapp (one easy F.A. Cup victory to his name) is apparently the favourite.

As for the game last night, first goal was the fault of Sturridge, who lost the ball to Robben in the opposition half and didn't bother to try and get back at him. I don't really blame the defence too much for running out of the way of Robben as it is the first time they have played together. But for that mistake (and missing the sitter), Sturridge looked OK.

Second goal was a good cross and a brave header so no complaints with that one and the third was a little unfortunate, though Robben was much more threatening than any of our players.

Cahill's goal was fortunate as he was offside, but I thought Young's goal was well-worked.

Ultimately, we're a team with some OK players for international level and others who are inadequate at this level. We will probably keep up the cycle of reaching the Final tournaments relatively comfortably before being dumped out by the better teams in the knock-out stages. To win anything, we'll need to have a flukey run of hard-won results in the way that Greece managed in 2004. Not likely to happen, I'm afraid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 59
biggles9999
March 1, 2012, 8:29am
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from Maringer

Would this be the same Italian sharp object who is one of the most successful club managers of all time? I think it is pretty obvious to most that the failings of the players had more to do with his relative lack of success with England than anything else. I say relative here because, don't forget, despite the dire displays in South Africa, he still had the best win ratio of any England manager. Can't wait to see who his successor will be - Pearce (never won anything as a manager) is currently the caretaker but Redknapp (one easy F.A. Cup victory to his name) is apparently the favourite.

As for the game last night, first goal was the fault of Sturridge, who lost the ball to Robben in the opposition half and didn't bother to try and get back at him. I don't really blame the defence too much for running out of the way of Robben as it is the first time they have played together. But for that mistake (and missing the sitter), Sturridge looked OK.
Second goal was a good cross and a brave header so no complaints with that one and the third was a little unfortunate, though Robben was much more threatening than any of our players.

Cahill's goal was fortunate as he was offside, but I thought Young's goal was well-worked.

Ultimately, we're a team with some OK players for international level and others who are inadequate at this level. We will probably keep up the cycle of reaching the Final tournaments relatively comfortably before being dumped out by the better teams in the knock-out stages. To win anything, we'll need to have a flukey run of hard-won results in the way that Greece managed in 2004. Not likely to happen, I'm afraid.

Admitedly I missed the first half of the game due to work but I was surprised to see Sturridge given man of the match at the end of the game. I was along the same lines as you in saying that he didnt challenge with Robben enough in the Dutch half and then failed to track him properly. Both defenders were dragged away by the run from Huntelaar, plus his miss was fairly terrible despite how the commentators were trying to dress it up. (However they did call Ashley Young, Luke Young a few times so what do you expect?)

For me Parker was man of the match, although Johnson and Downing seemed to do ok in their times at left wing.

I thought that 2-2 would have been a relatively fair reflection as I think Hart was saving the 3rd until it hit Cahill's shoulder.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 59
One Decent Lester
March 1, 2012, 10:52am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
I thought Baines attempt to block the cross for the 2nd Dutch goal was pretty lame as was his lack of blocking Robben's shot for the 3rd. That said Robben is class. Could never understand why Chelsea let him go.

I know it was only a friendly but the atmosphere at Wembley for England games seems so flat nowadays. I suppose this is what happens when the FA have spent years driving the more vociferous fanbase away as they are undesirable and don't fit in to the face painted fun and corporate New Wembley. The band just top it all off for me. They just suck the life out of any atmosphere there is. They killed the atmosphere on the Kop at Hillsborough and are now doing the same at England matches.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 59
JonnyK
March 1, 2012, 1:18pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +18
Cannot understand the mentality of some people.  I can't be bothered to find the quotes but some people in this thread have hit the nail on the head.  I'm a Town fan first and foremost, but I'm also a passionate England fan.  It's my country of birth, lived there most of my life - don't see much difference to supporting Town.  Except, it is now cool (as someone said previously) not to support England.  Probably because there players are hammered in the press all the time, but last night there was no Terry, Ferdinad, Lampard, or Rooney (and after a while no Gerrard either) just a lot of talented yougn players. We're not the best in the world, and not as good as the Dutch, but when on Earth has that ever been a reason for a genuine football fan not to follow a team?  And as for the poster's comment about being even further behind without our best player (I'm guessing that you meant Rooney, who has to be fair been pretty terrible internationally for 6 years), the scoreline was basically England 2 Robben 3.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 59
Maringer
March 1, 2012, 1:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,714
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from One Decent Lester
I thought Baines attempt to block the cross for the 2nd Dutch goal was pretty lame as was his lack of blocking Robben's shot for the 3rd. That said Robben is class. Could never understand why Chelsea let him go.

I didn't think Baines could do a great deal about the cross for the second. It was one of those where he tried to block it, but the ball went through his legs. I agree that he should have been in a better position to block the shot which led to the third goal. You've just got to force a player like Robben onto his right foot and not let him get a shot in. Richards was guilty of this in the first half as well when Hart had to make a save. Speaking of Richards, did anyone else think that he looked a bit, well, fat?

He's always been hefty but seemed a bit heftier and slower than in the past.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 59
Bullitt
March 1, 2012, 2:00pm
Guest User
Richards looked powerful enough, I liked him at CB when Jones came on, he's a bit of a powerhouse though the middle, brought something different to the game.
Reply: 26 - 59
forza ivano
March 1, 2012, 2:24pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,305
Gold Stars: 266
I enjoy watching the international footie not least because it gives me the chance to see football being played 'properly' and to see better technical players than those that generally grace the premiershite. thought england actually looked quite good for a long periods - some nice inventive play especially in the first half around the edge of the box. for a change there seemed to be a little less english hit and hope and a little more care with the ball. you have to forgive them for some naivety - smalling for example was given a real lesson last night (how is he btw?) and  hopefully will be a better player for it. didn't help that parker, who was supposed to be the older,steadying influence, was one of those who made a few too many mistakes. thought richards, cahill, wellbeck and sturridge did well. hart and baines are both solid as is parker (usually). enjoyed robben and van bommels performances and huntelaar looked v good for his cameo performance - what a run to take 2 defenders away when robben scored. that emanuelson who did well for milan the other wek also looked decent when he came on.
think soemone else is right that people expect too much - we don't have a single world class player in our ranks. hart, rooney and gerard are the closest , but generally we are made up of adequate international players and when we come up against the french, the dutch, the germans , the spaniards and probably portugal an ditaly we'll be found wanting as we always are.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 59
flash1
March 1, 2012, 2:38pm
rather be a codhead than a scunt
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +21 / -9
Approval: +1
Quoted from sonik
Not impressed with Stuart Pearce's reaction to our second goal.  Expressionless!  Strange to say the least.  

maybe he,d got some money on 2.1 with ladbrookes!

rather be a codhead than a scunt

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 59
Paris Mariner
March 1, 2012, 4:08pm
www.theliquidfootballblog.wordpress.com
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +809
I usually try to avoid biting the cherry when it's dangled out in front of me but I just can't resist this time.

I find it hard to understand why so many Grimsby Town fans need to berate England - they are after all our most realistic shot at European and World glory (even if it does always seem unlikely) and chance to travel the Europe and the world mutually supporting one team with thousands of other like minded supporters.

People say they are over paid. Clearly, a well thought out argument. All footballers are overpaid today from the Premier League down to players representing Grimsby in the Conference and even Cleethorpes Town's alleged £1000 a week budget in the Lincolnshire League. It has become ridiculous but bearing in mind the aforementioned circumstances does this really serve as a reason not to support England?

The sensational British press are terribly influential on people's opinions too. And it has a detrimental effect. As soon as the Sun had decided that Capello couldn't speak English that was it. When the press wanted Keegan, they got him, and when they've had enough they get rid too. It would be nice to hear an acknowledgment for patience and actually see it through on their part for a change.

As a football fan some of my favourite moments and matches have taken place with the national team - England v Holland at Euro 96, England v Scotland at Euro 96, Beckham's free kick v Greece and the 5-1 demolition of Germany in Munich during the World Cup 2002 qualifying campaign, to name but a few. These moments rank up there (not equally) with the Wembley 98 double in terms of pure ecstasy. One of the best atmosphere's was I've ever experienced was an England game even.

The people I normally associate with disapproval of England are those who support Premiership teams and never have the need to look below 7th. They worry selfishly their precious players might get a knock whilst playing for England and their real focus, albeit naturally, is the Premier League, FA Cup or a European berth. This is fine, but we should not forget that more people file through turnstiles every week at Football League grounds than in the Premiership. Not to mention non-league followers like ourselves. When you look at the flags dotted around grounds where England play they largely represent fans of lower league teams in search of that glory that is unattainable to them due to the modern nature of football. Yet I'm sure the people who slate England now will be happy to bathe in their glory when it eventually come our way.

Last night clearly showed there's is potential down the line for England, as have the U21 down to U16 sides too. I don't think we'll win anything soon but if we stick with it, just like we have for Town of the last 10 years, I'm sure we'll have something to shout about again.

bilbaogroundguide.wordpress.com
ingoldale.tumblr.com Football and gig ticket blog
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ingerrrland

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.