6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
March 1, 2012, 5:36pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
I thought we did OK considering the Teams average age was 22 when Gerrard was hooked off, I like the way that SP can ignore the old usual suspects and try something new, win lose or draw it came over as a breath of fresh air not hearing Rooney, Lampard and Terrys name being lauded over, should have been a draw
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 59
MeanwoodMariner
March 1, 2012, 6:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I enjoyed the England game more than I have done for a while. Players seemed to care a bit more than the old guard. Parker is not particularly good with the ball but infinitely better suited to be captain than King Cuunt Terry or Stevie GBH. I don't think they have much chance of success in the Euros but neither did the overrated "Golden Generation". Holland were miles ahead in every aspect of the game and thoroughly deserved to win. Robben was awesome.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 59
Bignic69
March 1, 2012, 8:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
I get drunk off with people thinking England are better than they actually are, fact of the matter is we are miles behind the best teams in the world. Why don't people support England through thick and thin like they do town? Its still our national team and the squad that is picked for the euros will without doubt recieve criticism but I challenge anyone to pick a better one! U get the cards u are dealt and it's up to u to deal with them. What does our nation do, get the tabloids finding as much scandal on every player possible, refuse to be decisive on the manager to take us forward and we fail to back our team when they are up against it. Yes they've let us down in the past but which club/country hasn't?

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 59
March 1, 2012, 10:12pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

Would this be the same Italian sharp object who is one of the most successful club managers of all time? I think it is pretty obvious to most that the failings of the players had more to do with his relative lack of success with England than anything else. I say relative here because, don't forget, despite the dire displays in South Africa, he still had the best win ratio of any England manager. Can't wait to see who his successor will be - Pearce (never won anything as a manager) is currently the caretaker but Redknapp (one easy F.A. Cup victory to his name) is apparently the favourite.

As for the game last night, first goal was the fault of Sturridge, who lost the ball to Robben in the opposition half and didn't bother to try and get back at him. I don't really blame the defence too much for running out of the way of Robben as it is the first time they have played together. But for that mistake (and missing the sitter), Sturridge looked OK.

Second goal was a good cross and a brave header so no complaints with that one and the third was a little unfortunate, though Robben was much more threatening than any of our players.

Cahill's goal was fortunate as he was offside, but I thought Young's goal was well-worked.

Ultimately, we're a team with some OK players for international level and others who are inadequate at this level. We will probably keep up the cycle of reaching the Final tournaments relatively comfortably before being dumped out by the better teams in the knock-out stages. To win anything, we'll need to have a flukey run of hard-won results in the way that Greece managed in 2004. Not likely to happen, I'm afraid.

yes il say it again a total sharp object who took the urine out of England for years, we were nothing short of a laughing stock whilst he was in charge. Can you remember the last world cup? Just to remind you we ended up being rated 13th out of 32 our worst EVER, not to mention the humiliating defeat to the krauts our highest world cup loss EVER! the man was an absolute stubborn buffoon with no idea of a plan b, he should of been sacked immediately.

We all know why he wasn't sacked but thats the fault of the old farts at the F.A. but this is were he should of resigned, but what did he do apart from standing there  grinning to himself takeing the urine, with that stupid postman pat expression on his face? intercourse all!

I cannot believe you would mock two respected fellow Englishmen that one day might be our next manager, so what,  if they haven't won loads of trophys, being a successful club manager doesn't mean your the right man for the biggest job of them all as we found out with that doughnut eriksson.Then you look at the Germany teams over the last 10 years with klinsman and now low, they'd done intercourse all but led Germany in to two world cup semi finals.

It has to be an Englishman all day for me i dreaded the day England winning a world cup with a Swede or Italian, lets get someone with some passion and understanding with what it means to be the England manager Redknapp and  Pearce spring to mind, is it to much to ask that we have a manager we can call our own and be proud to have?

Reply: 33 - 59
petethemariner
March 1, 2012, 10:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Quoted from Paris Mariner
I usually try to avoid biting the cherry when it's dangled out in front of me but I just can't resist this time.

I find it hard to understand why so many Grimsby Town fans need to berate England - they are after all our most realistic shot at European and World glory (even if it does always seem unlikely) and chance to travel the Europe and the world mutually supporting one team with thousands of other like minded supporters.

People say they are over paid. Clearly, a well thought out argument. All footballers are overpaid today from the Premier League down to players representing Grimsby in the Conference and even Cleethorpes Town's alleged £1000 a week budget in the Lincolnshire League. It has become ridiculous but bearing in mind the aforementioned circumstances does this really serve as a reason not to support England?

The sensational British press are terribly influential on people's opinions too. And it has a detrimental effect. As soon as the Sun had decided that Capello couldn't speak English that was it. When the press wanted Keegan, they got him, and when they've had enough they get rid too. It would be nice to hear an acknowledgment for patience and actually see it through on their part for a change.

As a football fan some of my favourite moments and matches have taken place with the national team - England v Holland at Euro 96, England v Scotland at Euro 96, Beckham's free kick v Greece and the 5-1 demolition of Germany in Munich during the World Cup 2002 qualifying campaign, to name but a few. These moments rank up there (not equally) with the Wembley 98 double in terms of pure ecstasy. One of the best atmosphere's was I've ever experienced was an England game even.

The people I normally associate with disapproval of England are those who support Premiership teams and never have the need to look below 7th. They worry selfishly their precious players might get a knock whilst playing for England and their real focus, albeit naturally, is the Premier League, FA Cup or a European berth. This is fine, but we should not forget that more people file through turnstiles every week at Football League grounds than in the Premiership. Not to mention non-league followers like ourselves. When you look at the flags dotted around grounds where England play they largely represent fans of lower league teams in search of that glory that is unattainable to them due to the modern nature of football. Yet I'm sure the people who slate England now will be happy to bathe in their glory when it eventually come our way.

Last night clearly showed there's is potential down the line for England, as have the U21 down to U16 sides too. I don't think we'll win anything soon but if we stick with it, just like we have for Town of the last 10 years, I'm sure we'll have something to shout about again.

That is a top class post Paris Mariner, perfectly put and i couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 59
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 1, 2012, 10:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
They played pretty well considering it was a scratch team of young players against an experienced Dutch side almost at full strength in the first half at least. Pearce admits he isn't the answer as manager but to be fair he did OK too. He picked a side that tried to play football and he played players in positions where they liked to play. The full backs and wingers created a fair bit and that was down to Pearce using some brains to put two holding midfielders in. The Dutch goals were down to individual errors, the third was just lack of concentration after scoring an equaliser. I'd be worried about a new manager reverting to the old guard though.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 59
MeanwoodMariner
March 1, 2012, 11:03pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I usually try to avoid biting the cherry when it's dangled out in front of me but I just can't resist this time.

I find it hard to understand why so many Grimsby Town fans need to berate England - they are after all our most realistic shot at European and World glory (even if it does always seem unlikely) and chance to travel the Europe and the world mutually supporting one team with thousands of other like minded supporters.

People say they are over paid. Clearly, a well thought out argument. All footballers are overpaid today from the Premier League down to players representing Grimsby in the Conference and even Cleethorpes Town's alleged £1000 a week budget in the Lincolnshire League. It has become ridiculous but bearing in mind the aforementioned circumstances does this really serve as a reason not to support England?

The sensational British press are terribly influential on people's opinions too. And it has a detrimental effect. As soon as the Sun had decided that Capello couldn't speak English that was it. When the press wanted Keegan, they got him, and when they've had enough they get rid too. It would be nice to hear an acknowledgment for patience and actually see it through on their part for a change.

As a football fan some of my favourite moments and matches have taken place with the national team - England v Holland at Euro 96, England v Scotland at Euro 96, Beckham's free kick v Greece and the 5-1 demolition of Germany in Munich during the World Cup 2002 qualifying campaign, to name but a few. These moments rank up there (not equally) with the Wembley 98 double in terms of pure ecstasy. One of the best atmosphere's was I've ever experienced was an England game even.

The people I normally associate with disapproval of England are those who support Premiership teams and never have the need to look below 7th. They worry selfishly their precious players might get a knock whilst playing for England and their real focus, albeit naturally, is the Premier League, FA Cup or a European berth. This is fine, but we should not forget that more people file through turnstiles every week at Football League grounds than in the Premiership. Not to mention non-league followers like ourselves. When you look at the flags dotted around grounds where England play they largely represent fans of lower league teams in search of that glory that is unattainable to them due to the modern nature of football. Yet I'm sure the people who slate England now will be happy to bathe in their glory when it eventually come our way.

Last night clearly showed there's is potential down the line for England, as have the U21 down to U16 sides too. I don't think we'll win anything soon but if we stick with it, just like we have for Town of the last 10 years, I'm sure we'll have something to shout about again.

I think it is telling that the England highlights you have picked out are from 10 years ago or more. The semi final in 1990 is probably the most powerful and devastating match I have ever watched. A great memory despite the outcome. I cannot speak for others but I lost interest in the national team post 2006.

It's not influenced by the press - they have always attacked the England team.

I stopped caring when I felt that the players did. Players retiring in their late 20s. Players pulling out of squads in vast numbers with the slightest knock. Players timing medical operations to miss England games rather than club games. Players believing their own hype and acting in increasingly disgraceful ways despite the fact that they've achieved nothing in the game other than making a shed load of money. Every international friendly match being slated as "unnecessary" or "coming at a really bad time".

I hope one day I feel what I felt during those tournaments of the 1990s and it really wouldn't take too much for that to happen. Personally, I don't care too much about winning a tournament. I just want to feel proud of the team. Like us, the USA only won one group game in South African (against Algeria) before losing their 2nd round match. But their players went home with pride after giving everything they had and I envied their fans for that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 59
marinerian
March 1, 2012, 11:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Jesus our reserves took Holland into injury time before defeat yet people moan!

Holland are aging and their defence is not great.....they will struggle imo

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 59
JonnyK
March 2, 2012, 4:35am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / -1
Approval: +18

Quality post - I totally agree.  Wish I could have said it so well!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 59
Maringer
March 2, 2012, 7:35am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,714
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from 2578

yes il say it again a total sharp object who took the urine out of England for years, we were nothing short of a laughing stock whilst he was in charge. Can you remember the last world cup? Just to remind you we ended up being rated 13th out of 32 our worst EVER, not to mention the humiliating defeat to the krauts our highest world cup loss EVER! the man was an absolute stubborn buffoon with no idea of a plan b, he should of been sacked immediately.

We all know why he wasn't sacked but thats the fault of the old farts at the F.A. but this is were he should of resigned, but what did he do apart from standing there  grinning to himself takeing the urine, with that stupid postman pat expression on his face? intercourse all!

I cannot believe you would mock two respected fellow Englishmen that one day might be our next manager, so what,  if they haven't won loads of trophys, being a successful club manager doesn't mean your the right man for the biggest job of them all as we found out with that doughnut eriksson.Then you look at the Germany teams over the last 10 years with klinsman and now low, they'd done intercourse all but led Germany in to two world cup semi finals.

It has to be an Englishman all day for me i dreaded the day England winning a world cup with a Swede or Italian, lets get someone with some passion and understanding with what it means to be the England manager Redknapp and  Pearce spring to mind, is it to much to ask that we have a manager we can call our own and be proud to have?

Capello was (and, I expect), probably still is a very good manager. He's got just about the best record of any manager around these days, winning titles in two of the biggest Leagues in the World and at a number of clubs. He also won the Champions League with Milan.

Similarly, Eriksson was also a very good manager in his day, winning trophies in various countries and with a great deal of experience of European football including trophy wins.

If these two managers failed to take England beyond the quarter-finals of the major tournaments, do you think that might indicate the problem was with the players, rather than the managers?

Let's see how our last English manager did (whose managerial career at the time had 1 League Cup and a battering in the UEFA Cup Final to his name). Hmmm. Failed to qualify with pretty much the same group of players who had reached the quarter-finals in previous tournaments. McClaren was a bad appointment at the time but, ultimately, the same group of players failed him who also failed Capello in South Africa. Don't forget, Capello's win percentage was higher than any other England manager in history, despite the South Africa debacle.

I don't disagree that, ideally, you want an Englishman to become manager. However, more important is to have an experienced and successful manager. Pearce is neither of these and he, himself, has admitted he isn't a long-term option. Redknapp is certainly experienced but, other than an easy F.A. Cup (where Pompey had lucky draws and only needed to play 1 Premier League club in the competition that year, albeit this being Man United), he's won nothing in his career. He's doing OK at Spurs but they have spent a lot of money in recent years and have some good players. Won't win anything this season, however.

I'm sorry, but I don't see why I should be proud of any England manager. They are very well getting paid to do the job so where does pride come into it? Similarly, passion is irrelevant as well. Success is the only thing that counts for a manager.

Regardless of who takes charge, if the players were miraculously able to raise their games to the level where they could compete well enough to sneak a trophy, I'd be proud of that achievement. Don't think it is going to happen any time soon, however.

Incidentally, the situation in Germany is rather different to the UK. Players in Germany at all levels are very well coached and know what they have to do. Similarly, in Holland, Spain, Italy etc etc. We often develop talented players, but the coaching they receive when young is generally poor so, while they may have ability, they rarely get the best out of it. Better coaching for kids ensures that they develop into better players. Most of our youth players don't receive good coaching.

This article explains why we will be lucky to be able to compete with the other big nations around the world for some time to come yet:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/01/football-coach-shortage-england

Just a pity that the F.A. (who know Sweet F.A.), decided to spunk £800 million on Wembley stadium instead of investing a good chunk of that money in the coaching infrastructure to assist young footballers all around the country.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 59
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ingerrrland

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.