3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
GrimRob
September 8, 2011, 1:13pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,450
Gold Stars: 115
Dear Mervyn King,

I see that the Bank of England are considering another round of "Quantitative Easing". I have a suggestion as to what the bank could do with the money it produces. Rather than just give it to our banks who may just "sit" on the money and not "kick start" the economy in the way you like I suggest you give it to lower league football clubs.

Small football clubs are at the heart of communities up and down the country and they would inject additional money into their local economies through players wages and ground improvements. Fans would start spending more money as well by going to more games and buying pints, burgers and pies. This would entail more stewards, police and bar staff, who in turn would spend their extra wages on other goods and services. In other words exactly what you are trying to achieve with "Quantitative Easing".

I suggest you make a start on my own team Grimsby Town. We only ever buy players from other British clubs so all the money you would give to Town would be distributed in the UK. I reckon our ground could do with a lick of paint as well so that would be more work for local people. There's plenty of things we could spend money on I'm sure.

Shall we start with two million? If the experiment is a success perhaps you could then consider taking action with other teams. I am more than happy to suggest a list of other teams that would benefit from "Quantitative Easing", although for obvious reasons I wouldn't recommend Lincoln, Scunthorpe or Hull.

I look forward to hearing from you. If you want to send a cheque just make it payable to "Grimsby Town Football Club". I'll make sure it gets passed on.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Biccys
September 8, 2011, 1:18pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Perhaps get the cheque made out to "Campaign Against Spending Hastily" or C.A.S.H. for short?

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 24
MeanwoodMariner
September 8, 2011, 1:19pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
I can only back this idea. QE runs into the billions, whereas a tiny sum like £1m quid could really help Town (and the economy).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
oldun
September 8, 2011, 1:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
If a couple of million pounds were to be made available to GTFC, how should it be used? Sincerely yours Mervyn.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
80sglory
September 8, 2011, 2:51pm
Guest User
Excellent stuff Rob  
Reply: 4 - 24
roundballovalhole
September 8, 2011, 3:06pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1600
Excellent stuff Rob  

it's a p1ss poor idea that is only marginally better than your really p1ss poor idea. . . so yeah, excellent stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply: 5 - 24
upthestripes
September 8, 2011, 3:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Dear BoE, please kindly use your(loose term) money to blow yourselves to a trillion bits and make a small investment in TV coverage so we can all watch.
I'm sure takers would be plentiful as the vewing figures would be astronimical.
Please try to clear your top (w)bankers away from the vecinity of the blast however as once fat hardens it is difficult to shift and we could do without the cleanup expense in an economical disaster zone which you have kindly help create.

Oh, but give summats to town first, both for the benefit of our club and to make this post footy related

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
80sglory
September 8, 2011, 3:36pm
Guest User
Quoted from 1054

it's a p1ss poor idea that is only marginally better than your really p1ss poor idea. . . so yeah, excellent stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really wish I was as positive as you !
Tell me, how do you stay so optimistic and cheerful ?
If only everyone was like you everything would be so much better...    
Reply: 7 - 24
Perkins
September 8, 2011, 3:39pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Class !!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
Super Clive
September 8, 2011, 4:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Is this a wind up or have you actually asked ?

I do think its a cracking Idea although we probably more chance of TimMickleburgh working 9 til 5  than actually getting some cash from the tight twits.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Letter to the Bank of England

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.