Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › WHO REALLY IS THE BEST GRIMSBY TOWN MANAGER EVER
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 32 Guests

WHO REALLY IS THE BEST GRIMSBY TOWN MANAGER EVER

This thread currently has 9,668 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
oldfootballer
December 5, 2010, 10:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +21 / -2
Approval: +8
Quoted from pseudonym

The likes of Drinkell, Donovan, Ford and the Moores were being nurtured by the late Tom Casey. He didn't seem to get the praise for it. Wasn't he sacked on the day that he was moving to a new house in Grimsby ?

That was one of the cruellest things I ever saw in football.

The late Tom Casey was certainly a bundle of energy and crazy football ideas but could certainly target a good young player with the knowledge that he could make them a Pro Footballer eventually.

Never forget the day it happened, it was a Monday I think and Tom was not in for training due to him moving house from Coventry which was his last club.

The Vice Chairman at the time came into the dressing room Tommy Lindley, and annouced to us all that Tom Casey`s contract had been terminated and that the club were in talks with a new Manager who turned out eventually to be John Newman.

Well that finished training and as we use to do in them days go to the nearest pub to have a drink to the outgoing Manager which was the pub that has now been burned down on Grimsby road.

Every body even those that did not like Tom Casey were all in the opinion that was a dreadful thing to do sack the Manger when he was moving house to Grimsby.

It was one of the worst things I ever saw in Football.
OLDFOOTBALLER

when the ball is on the ground everybody is the same size its what you do with the ball that matters m/http/thisis.co.uk/274236/signature/gtfc-soldier-aphanfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
BIGChris
December 5, 2010, 11:01am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Was the Town job Tommy Casey's only senior managerial position? I know he was a very highly regarded youth coach at Coventry and those skills and abilities set up Town for a fantastic run. The junior  team under Bernard Fleming was well advanced compared to many clubs
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
oldfootballer
December 5, 2010, 11:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from pseudonym
This is not a criticism of Lawrie Mac, but he wasn't successful with Doncaster, Sunderland or Northern Ireland. Basically only us and Southampton

Won the fourth division championship with Doncaster till player power got hold of the club, went from Grimsby to Southampton was successful then wanted a new challenge.

Sunderland came in for him, tried the pattern that he had done at Southampton where he brought in well known players who had it seemed finshed there carreer and got that extra few years out of them.
For instance Kevin Keegan, Tommy Case, Peter Osgood, it did not work at Sunderland.

In fact mention Laurie Macs name to any Sunderland supporter and they cringe.
It just shows you can not please everybody in football.
OLDFOOTBALLER

when the ball is on the ground everybody is the same size its what you do with the ball that matters m/http/thisis.co.uk/274236/signature/gtfc-soldier-aphanfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
Les Brechin
December 5, 2010, 11:12am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
There can be only one name. 3 spells in charge of the club and although the 3rd spell was very disappointing the first 2 were excellent.

It can only be John Cockerill.  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
BIGChris
December 5, 2010, 11:28am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from oldfootballer

Won the fourth division championship with Doncaster till player power got hold of the club, went from Grimsby to Southampton was successful then wanted a new challenge.

Sunderland came in for him, tried the pattern that he had done at Southampton where he brought in well known players who had it seemed finshed there carreer and got that extra few years out of them.
For instance Kevin Keegan, Tommy Case, Peter Osgood, it did not work at Sunderland.
In fact mention Laurie Macs name to any Sunderland supporter and they cringe.
It just shows you can not please everybody in football.
OLDFOOTBALLER

He would have done better with Jimmy Case
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
oldfootballer
December 5, 2010, 12:02pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris

He would have done better with Jimmy Case

Opps, another mistake.
OLDFOOTBALLER

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
pseudonym
December 5, 2010, 7:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Tom Casey was a well respected coach at Everton. I think it was when Harry Catterick was in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
Coley Surfer
December 5, 2010, 10:59pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +8 / -5
For me it would be George Kerr. Yes he took over a team that had just been promoted, but he was assistant manager at the time, he then won a championship which was something Buckley never did despite three promotions.

I loved the days at Wembley which was something I never thought I would see but I think it's a bit unfair to use them as a reason for Buckley being best manager. Managers such as Womack, Shankley, McMenemy and even Kerr did not have the same opportunities to get to Wembley. In Womacks time the only way to get to Wembley was in the FA Cup Final, we got to the Semis twice in the Thirties. Play -offs didn't exist, there was no special day out for teams that didn't finish top two, nor was there a Wembley final for teams that had done well in the Third & Fourth division cup,

As STB stated in an earlier post, for me the most exciting time as a Town fan was when Kerr was manager. Buckleys team played great football but it never seemed to be as exciting as watching Kerrs team.

So here I am once more in the playground of the broken hearts
One more experience, one more entry in a diary, self-penned
Yet another emotional suicide overdosed on sentiment and pride
Too late to say I love you, too late to re-stage the play
Abandoning the relics in my playground of yesterday
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
theicenian
December 5, 2010, 11:12pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Quoted from Coley Surfer
For me it would be George Kerr. Yes he took over a team that had just been promoted, but he was assistant manager at the time, he then won a championship which was something Buckley never did despite three promotions.

I loved the days at Wembley which was something I never thought I would see but I think it's a bit unfair to use them as a reason for Buckley being best manager. Managers such as Womack, Shankley, McMenemy and even Kerr did not have the same opportunities to get to Wembley. In Womacks time the only way to get to Wembley was in the FA Cup Final, we got to the Semis twice in the Thirties. Play -offs didn't exist, there was no special day out for teams that didn't finish top two, nor was there a Wembley final for teams that had done well in the Third & Fourth division cup,

As STB stated in an earlier post, for me the most exciting time as a Town fan was when Kerr was manager. Buckleys team played great football but it never seemed to be as exciting as watching Kerrs team.

I have a tendancy to agree with that. Only one correction Charlie Spencer took our club to the 39 cup semi-final.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
pseudonym
December 6, 2010, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Quoted from theicenian

I have a tendancy to agree with that. Only one correction Charlie Spencer took our club to the 39 cup semi-final.

How many farthings did you pay to watch it ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › WHO REALLY IS THE BEST GRIMSBY TOWN MANAGER EVER

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.