Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › WHO REALLY IS THE BEST GRIMSBY TOWN MANAGER EVER
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

WHO REALLY IS THE BEST GRIMSBY TOWN MANAGER EVER

This thread currently has 9,628 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Badger57
December 6, 2010, 7:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
Lawrie Mac's team was the most exciting and atmospheric time for me, especially when Matt Tees returned and almost doubled gates overnight! I greatly respected George Kerr although he was very outspoken at times and not very likeable. (I like him now when he commentates, he`s mellowed with time!) Dave Booth did a decent job but was a bit dull as was John Newman. Tom Casey was very unlucky to get sacked as he was building a great young side. Paul Groves was just plain unlucky. So the best, of course, was AB Mk1 and 2. By 3 his team was so predictable and shot shy bu I'll forgive him that. Arise Sir Alan!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
BIGChris
December 7, 2010, 12:56am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Badger57
Lawrie Mac's team was the most exciting and atmospheric time for me, especially when Matt Tees returned and almost doubled gates overnight!

Didnt Tees return under Bobby Kennedy?

First game at home to Cambridge?
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
theicenian
December 7, 2010, 9:02am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from BIGChris

Didnt Tees return under Bobby Kennedy?

First game at home to Cambridge?

Well now you've both got the story just a bit tangled.  Paddy Hamilton persuaded Luton to part with Matt in November 70 and his first game back was a 2-0 win over Scunthorpe and the crowd was up by around 2000. And obviously Bobby Kennedy was manager.Matt scored one and a certain diminutive player got the other from a penalty. The chanting for Matt that day is still something that I can clearly remember,one of those things that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
BIGChris
December 7, 2010, 9:49am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from theicenian

Well now you've both got the story just a bit tangled.  Paddy Hamilton persuaded Luton to part with Matt in November 70 and his first game back was a 2-0 win over Scunthorpe and the crowd was up by around 2000. And obviously Bobby Kennedy was manager.Matt scored one and a certain diminutive player got the other from a penalty. The chanting for Matt that day is still something that I can clearly remember,one of those things that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Sorry Icey but you are incorrect. Just found this link which states it WAS Cambridge.

Being as old as you does have some advantages but it seems memories of Matt Tees arent one of them!

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8500099
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
Paddymariner
December 7, 2010, 10:42am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
I thought Chris was right in that it was Cambridge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
DocTower
December 7, 2010, 10:52am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +1,223
Dave Booth , inherited a good side and continued the run before he left . Anyone who was present during Alans leadership had best best ever years . Would he be welcome back for a 4th time ? To go back into the league ? And we still haven't got a bar named after him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 56
theicenian
December 7, 2010, 11:26am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from BIGChris

Sorry Icey but you are incorrect. Just found this link which states it WAS Cambridge.

Being as old as you does have some advantages but it seems memories of Matt Tees arent one of them!

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8500099

I claim senility and snow and retire corrected.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
grimsby pete
December 7, 2010, 12:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from theicenian

I claim senility and snow and retire corrected.

I am pleased that I am not the only one to start losing it,

It's not very nice is it Icey ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 7, 2010, 1:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from grimsby pete

I am pleased that I am not the only one to start losing it,

It's not very nice is it Icey ?

Don't worry Pete, it's when you can't remember what you've lost that you really need to bother about it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
GrimRob
December 7, 2010, 1:40pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
ABv1 and ABv2

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 49 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › WHO REALLY IS THE BEST GRIMSBY TOWN MANAGER EVER

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.