This thread currently has 10,730 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Cumbrian Mariner
October 22, 2010, 8:51pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +304
I'm told that I was taken to Blundell Park for my 3rd bithday in 1969, but cannot recall the match.  My first memories of a town match are Grimsby v Exeter 1972 - McMennemy era and promotion celebrations followed.  Addicted from that point on by my own choice, well nearly!  
Oh to be 6 years old again, following the worlds greatest football team and desperately looking forward to watching my next Grimsby match at Blundell Park.  Life was so bloody marvellous then although we didn;t ahve a colour telly! UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 88
kingofthekippers
October 22, 2010, 8:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
First game was against Middlesbrough in 1985. I was 13 at the time and only seem to remember the metal fences we all had to peer through. I still have the programme and a certain Brian Laws played for Boro that day. Later research tells me that we won 4-3 (great game apparently, shame about those bloody fences) and that it was the season when the Osmond Stand was the new home end and the away fans were in the Pontoon.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 88
Les Brechin
October 22, 2010, 9:16pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from BIGChris

Either my memory or yours is going as I dont recall either of Mike Brolly's goals against Everton being headers? One definetly wasnt

I thought that too Chris but didn't say anything in case it was my mind playing tricks on me. I'm fairly sure both goals were shots.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 88
cmackenzie4
October 22, 2010, 9:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from barralad

It was April 81. West Ham won the cup the year before against The Gooners. Somebody called Cross scored 4 for them that day.

Just looked it up and there was a gap of three weeks between the two 5-1 defeats. I thought they were back to back. We won only one of our last seven or so games and that was at Wednesday. Makes you wonder whether the then board were panicking about the possibility of the Town getting into the First Division.

thanks for that barralad i will always have fond memories of that game even though we did lose,west ham was a good team then,it was great to see brooking,parkes and the likes,i was only 11 then,i use to go with my uncles who all use to sing, it was brilliant in them days

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 88
Adzza Meggie
October 22, 2010, 9:58pm

Q:which Premiership side you support?A:get phooked
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Try as I might I can't recall much at all about the first Town match I was at.All I can remember is that Harry Wainman was in goal,which means it was sometime in the seventies.When did Harry finish playing for GTFC ? Help me out someone please!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 88
theicenian
October 22, 2010, 10:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.00
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from Adzza Meggie
Try as I might I can't recall much at all about the first Town match I was at.All I can remember is that Harry Wainman was in goal,which means it was sometime in the seventies.When did Harry finish playing for GTFC ? Help me out someone please!  

He went on loan to Rochdale in October 72.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 88
Adzza Meggie
October 22, 2010, 10:09pm

Q:which Premiership side you support?A:get phooked
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Quoted from theicenian

He went on loan to Rochdale in October 72.

Yep,that means I was about 5 years old (or less) when my dad first took me to BP.No wonder I can't remember sodomist all about it!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 88
TownSNAFU5
October 22, 2010, 10:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Early 60s with my Dad.  I was very young so no idea which match.  Remember messing about at the top of the back stairs in the old Barratt stand.

My Dad went to his first game in the early 1930s.  He still follows them.  (We are both old sods).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 88
Manchester Mariner
October 22, 2010, 11:00pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
Gold Stars: 41
My first visits to BP were for reserve games as school would do trips to reserve games when we played a bigger team and I remember being absolutely freezing watching our reserves getting thumped by Liverpools second XI one night, the likes of Mike Hooper, Craig Johnston and Barry Vennison were playing for them. But my first proper game was when we beat Wolves 1-0 in the first round of the FA Cup in 1988.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 88
sutton mariner
October 23, 2010, 12:58pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Town vs watford at watford   aboout 2002 i think?

Think we lost about 3-0

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › First town match

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.