This thread currently has 10,803 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Dan_Barker
October 23, 2010, 1:32pm

Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +5
I think mine was at home to Gillingham in the nineties, it was a division two game and we drew 0-0

take me home
Grimsby road
to the place
I belong
to Blundell Park
to see the Mariners
take me home
Grimsby Road

twitter.com/BarkerDan7
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 88
Badger57
October 23, 2010, 2:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,894
Gold Stars: 30
14-Feb-1970 League Division 4 Home to Workington Town. 1-1
Only thing I remember is they wore green shirts and they had a ginger ninja who looked my Welholme school teacher, Mr. Wilkinson!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 88
oldfootballer
October 25, 2010, 8:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +21 / -2
Approval: +8
Quoted from Les Brechin
Exeter City. Last game on the season in 1972. Won 3-0 to clinch the old 4th Division Championship.

Went with my sister, stood at the back of the pontoon and couldn't see a single thing all game.

Never forget them supporters who went and sat on the old Barratt stand, a incredible night for all players and supporters alike.

The gaffer at half time went berserk in the dressing room, and nobody argued with Laurie Mac his words were them supporters have come tonight to see you win the league champoinship and get out there and kick hell out of Exeter.

Which we did in big time.
Fabulous night that was never ever forget it.
OLDFOOTBALLER

when the ball is on the ground everybody is the same size its what you do with the ball that matters m/http/thisis.co.uk/274236/signature/gtfc-soldier-aphanfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 88
pseudonym
October 25, 2010, 8:54pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from Badger57
14-Feb-1970 League Division 4 Home to Workington Town. 1-1
Only thing I remember is they wore green shirts and they had a ginger ninja who looked my Welholme school teacher, Mr. Wilkinson!  

I thought they were Workington Town. tintowner and boroughparker are adamant that we are wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 88
Les Brechin
October 25, 2010, 9:10pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from pseudonym

I thought they were Workington Town. tintowner and boroughparker are adamant that we are wrong

According to wikipedia they have only ever been called Workington AFC, there is no mention of the word Town in their name ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workington_FC

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 88
pseudonym
October 25, 2010, 9:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from Les Brechin

According to wikipedia they have only ever been called Workington AFC, there is no mention of the word Town in their name ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workington_FC
Looked at it on wikipedia Les. It says that. Janice and Moira also said that they were called Workington Town. Perhaps someone may have an old programme , Over to you barralad/jock dock tower

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 88
Les Brechin
October 25, 2010, 9:46pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from pseudonym
Looked at it on wikipedia Les. It says that. Janice and Moira also said that they were called Workington Town. Perhaps someone may have an old programme , Over to you barralad/jock dock tower

Just dug out an old programme from, the 72/73 season, the old black and white fronted prog with the dock tower on the front. It was when they used to have the League Football insert in them and in this one there is a picture of Workington 72/73, no mention of Town after the name.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 88
oldfootballer
October 26, 2010, 7:53am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +21 / -2
Approval: +8
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just dug out an old programme fro, the 72/73 season, the old black and white fronted prog with the dock tower on the front. It was they used to have the League Football insert in them and in this one there is a picture of Workington 72/73, no mention of Town after the name.

As a player we always called them Workington Town, never liked playing at the damned place always a tough game.
OLDFOOTBALLER

when the ball is on the ground everybody is the same size its what you do with the ball that matters m/http/thisis.co.uk/274236/signature/gtfc-soldier-aphanfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 88
Mister H
October 26, 2010, 11:03am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Christmas Day 1944 Town 2 Lincoln City 2. Losing 0 - 2 when my brother-in-law and I left to catch a train back to Healing from New Clee Station 10 minutes before the end. Story of my life at Blundell Park - missed all the good bits. Living in hope. Maybe tonight........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 88
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › First town match

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.