Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 123 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,642 views. Print
53 Pages Prev ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 20, 2022, 4:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Everybody expects us to get out of this league and do alright in the league above which means success on the pitch. Is a stadium that they work in once a fortnight most likely to contribute to that or is a training ground where they spend Monday-Friday for about 46 weeks of the year?

20 years of telling anyone who would listen about a new ground didn't get us anywhere did it and it needs support from our council which just so happens to be one that our former owner was a "key" part of until he got into bed with a convicted criminal. You pick your battles and I'm sure a proper plan for our home will be drawn up in due course.

The idea of a new stadium is to use it for multiple purposes 365 days a year. A single purpose stadium such as BP is a financial black hole.
Private Message
Reply: 370 - 520
jamesgtfc
February 20, 2022, 4:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,106
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The idea of a new stadium is to use it for multiple purposes 365 days a year. A single purpose stadium such as BP is a financial black hole.

Who is going to foot the bill for the stadium and ultimately own it?
What are those 365 day uses going to be?
Are those 365 day uses going to turn a profit or be yet another cost to the organisation?
Where is the stadium going to be to ensure the 365 day uses are easily accessible for the appropriate target market?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 371 - 520
GollyGTFC
February 20, 2022, 4:46pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,994
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Are those 365 day uses going to turn a profit or be yet another cost to the organisation?
Where is the stadium going to be to ensure the 365 day uses are easily accessible for the appropriate target market?

Do you own a house? How did you pay for it? Cash? No, a mortgage.

That’s how you finance a new stadium. And those moaning about could we afford a mortgage, didn’t we only finish paying off the Findus Stand a couple of years ago?

But by incorporating facilities that generate income into the stadium it will help pay for it. Examples: There’s a gym built into Chesterfields ground providing a rental income. Preston North End built an NHS walk-in centre into their final new stand at Deepdale which brings in around £500,000 a year in rent and only added an additional £4m to the construction costs.

And just like getting a mortgage on a house, the payments stay the same throughout the term of the mortgage. What seems like a big repayment amount now won’t seem so big as each year passes by.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 372 - 520
rancido
February 20, 2022, 4:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,674
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Do you own a house? How did you pay for it? Cash? No, a mortgage.

That’s how you finance a new stadium. And those moaning about could we afford a mortgage, didn’t we only finish paying off the Findus Stand a couple of years ago?

But by incorporating facilities that generate income into the stadium it will help pay for it. Examples: There’s a gym built into Chesterfields ground providing a rental income. Preston North End built an NHS walk-in centre into their final new stand at Deepdale which brings in around £500,000 a year in rent and only added an additional £4m to the construction costs.

And just like getting a mortgage on a house, the payments stay the same throughout the term of the mortgage. What seems like a big repayment amount now won’t seem so big as each year passes by.

I'm not sure about your statement "the payments stay the same throughout the term of the mortgage". If my own experiences are anything to go by, it would be extremely difficult to get a fixed-rate mortgage of 25 years from any financial institution. Possibly fixed for 5 years at the going rate and then renegotiated for another short term at the then going rate.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 373 - 520
malkamalka
February 20, 2022, 5:26pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from jamesgtfc

A lot has been said about the Tories "Levelling Up" and Di Pissle even bigged it up in the town just last week with Whatsit face - the MP ???

We've just seen how LU works under the Tories - they promise millions, new investment, new jobs then just ignore the fact that they allowed it to be delivered to Newcastle instead.

I think that the Owners probably would love a new ground, but don't want to pay for it OR be sole tenants. So by saying it's not priority, they are probably telling the Council?Government to go out and find some sub tenants.

Retail is finished really, so a semi industrial setting OR a big posh hotel could be the answer. Cleethorpes still probably a better option than Grimsby beacause of the hilday/hospitality trade.

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 374 - 520
rancido
February 20, 2022, 5:42pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,674
Gold Stars: 102
The whole new ground situation dates back decades. Originally the club apporoached the Council with a view to modernising BP (this was mentioned in the GET at the time) . The Council were in favour of the club moving to a new ground and would do all they could to facilitate this. And that was it - no progress over all these years. Maybe the club could force the Councils hand by saying they intend to stay at BP and produce plans for a modernised BP. The Council then have a choice - help the club or agree to improvements. My preference would be a new ground but if that isn't possible then the Council must state their preferred option. If we continue this resurgence in interest in GTFC and crowds increase then the last thing the council want is a grid locked area around BP on match days with nearby residents protesting about an increase in vehicles parking on the streets.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 375 - 520
ska face
February 20, 2022, 5:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,900
Gold Stars: 854
Given that one of our owners owns/runs a global private equity real estate investment firm, you’d have to say it’s not a massive stretch to say that this would be a likely source of funding. Revcap’s website lays it out pretty clearly - “ Revcap’s Joint Venture Equity investments are always made alongside co-investing local operating partners and usually involve Revcap funding between 50% and 90% of the total equity requirement. Revcap typically invests between £2m and £20m of its equity into each deal...”.  

The trade off then comes with having to balance finding a return for investors and also providing a facility that is a community asset. The two aren’t mutually exclusive, but it’s difficult to do in a town like ours where there isn’t necessarily an easy return through, say, sale to commercial landlords or residential use, like a major city centre. Nor would a football ground really generate a turnover that would appeal an external investor.

Could S106 agreements from the Grimsby West development provide a good chunk of the funding? I’ve no idea what stage that’s at.
Private Message
Reply: 376 - 520
hampshiremariner
February 20, 2022, 6:35pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,055
Gold Stars: 36
If Hull, Rotherham and Doncaster can acquire new stadiums, why can't we? It would be a massive boost for the area, but I think the chance has gone.

12 years of austerity under this terrible government and councils are skint. If I had the money I would donate it but the council would probably find a reason for it not to be built. Every barrier you could have imagined was put in the way of Town getting a new stadium in the past.

There is no money for levelling up. Like Brexit, it's a con. Johnson has just spent £350,000 getting a jet fighter to fly from Scotland to Waddington so he could have his photo taken in the cockpit. Truss spent £500,000 of OUR money to fly privately to Oz, rather than going on a much cheaper scheduled flight.

It's frustrating and annoying but levelling up is a load of rhetoric. Nothing more. Like telling us we have got all these new police officers on the streets. We haven't. They need to get thousands and thousands more just to get us back to where we were in 2010.

It's a era of disaster capitalism with the rich getting much, much richer and the rest of us facing inflation, fuel poverty, the running down of the NHS and public services being crushed by continuing austerity. That's the reality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 377 - 520
moosey_club
February 20, 2022, 7:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,339
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from ska face

Could S106 agreements from the Grimsby West development provide a good chunk of the funding? I’ve no idea what stage that’s at.

Pretty sure Grimsby West is dead as far as council involvement is concerned, they failed in their bid for funding I am sure I read so although housing may go on there it will be at the discretion design of the private developer.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 378 - 520
KingstonMariner
February 20, 2022, 7:07pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from hampshiremariner
If Hull, Rotherham and Doncaster can acquire new stadiums, why can't we? It would be a massive boost for the area, but I think the chance has gone.

12 years of austerity under this terrible government and councils are skint. If I had the money I would donate it but the council would probably find a reason for it not to be built. Every barrier you could have imagined was put in the way of Town getting a new stadium in the past.

There is no money for levelling up. Like Brexit, it's a con. Johnson has just spent £350,000 getting a jet fighter to fly from Scotland to Waddington so he could have his photo taken in the cockpit. Truss spent £500,000 of OUR money to fly privately to Oz, rather than going on a much cheaper scheduled flight.

It's frustrating and annoying but levelling up is a load of rhetoric. Nothing more. Like telling us we have got all these new police officers on the streets. We haven't. They need to get thousands and thousands more just to get us back to where we were in 2010.

It's a era of disaster capitalism with the rich getting much, much richer and the rest of us facing inflation, fuel poverty, the running down of the NHS and public services being crushed by continuing austerity. That's the reality.

Hull got theirs by a fluke. For whatever reason historically the municipal telephone company stayed independent of the GPO, and didn’t get flogged off by the Tories for next to nowt in the 80s. With the growth of telecoms and digital technology Hull council were sitting on a gold mine. They flogged shares in the company and funded the stadium.

I think Donny council funded theirs too. Not sure how Donny council got the money. Legacy of the funding ex-mining areas got to tide them over?

Spot on with your comments about “levelling up”. What’s Grimsby got? £20m. One-off. Compared to how many millions lost to the local economy each year due to welfare cuts since 2010.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 379 - 520
53 Pages Prev ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.