Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 185 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,651 views. Print
53 Pages Prev ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Southwark Mariner
November 4, 2021, 2:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,574
Gold Stars: 84
Could just have a big polytunnel roof for rainy days. On wheels and roll it out. Could be like the cricket, stop play to wheel out the polytunnel for the main stand.

I'm only slightly joking too! Planning permission is a lot more lenient for temporary structures. Come up with some design that makes the roof revolve back when there's no match. Will give you a lot more options for larger seating if the height of a roof doesn't permanently block residential views.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 310 - 520
White_shorts
November 4, 2021, 2:56pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -652
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from TinklerMan

Yeah I suppose you are correct.

I just like the ground.

Do you like the wooden Main Stand with 13 roof supports? The open space between the Main and Pontoon? The spaces either side of the Findus? The diabolical toilet provision?

I am not an expert on building regulations, but I imagine the club would not get permission to widen the upper Findus due to the proximity of houses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 311 - 520
KingstonMariner
November 5, 2021, 12:07am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MarinerDevil
How long does the Main Stand have before a serious renovation is necessary?  If it's no longer safe to display advertising boards on its roof, surely it's only a matter of time before a new roof, at least, is going to be required?  

If we're going to be at BP in 10 years' time, which let's be honest we probably are, then this work should be carried out sooner rather than later.  We've put it off for too long in pursuit of a new stadium and we're now between a rock and hard place.  Both renovation and relocation are going to be expensive.  Although, if a full renovation of BP is going to cost upwards of £10m, then surely building a new stadium is preferable?  If we're going to be taking on debt either way, I'd rather have the increased revenue opportunities of a new facility.

Hope you’re not relying on my back of a fagpacket guesstimate!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 312 - 520
White_shorts
November 11, 2021, 3:15pm
Lager Top Drinker
The Telegraph has reported that Grimsby West can still go ahead without a link road. I don't know whether a stadium could be included in that case. The council would presumably have to consider traffic congestion on matchdays.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....ight-grimsby-6155435
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 313 - 520
White_shorts
November 11, 2021, 4:09pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from BS baffles brains
when the Findus stand was originally built, I believe the plan was to buy the houses at the back of the main stand, in Harrington street, and revolve the pitch, hence the reason the Findus stand doesn't cover the full length of the pitch. A good idea still.

I'm sorry, but I think that's just a rumour started by a bullsh*t merchant. If it's true, then it was an incredibly stupid decision by the club. Don't you think it would have made more sense to have acquired and demolished the Harrington Street houses first?

I have always assumed the Findus was a vanity project by the board. They wanted an upper tier so they could sit and gaze at the estuary during matches. They could not get planning permission for a full length stand, but built it anyway. They presumably didn't care that it would be bad for atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 314 - 520
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 11, 2021, 4:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,354
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from White_shorts

I'm sorry, but I think that's just a rumour started by a bullsh*t merchant. If it's true, then it was an incredibly stupid decision by the club. Don't you think it would have made more sense to have acquired and demolished the Harrington Street houses first?

I have always assumed the Findus was a vanity project by the board. They wanted an upper tier so they could sit and gaze at the estuary during matches. They could not get planning permission for a full length stand, but built it anyway. They presumably didn't care that it would be bad for atmosphere.

Grimsby Town FC. No history of stupid decisions. None. Ever.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 315 - 520
White_shorts
November 11, 2021, 4:38pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

If we want to be clever, build a monorail from Grimsby train station to Cleethorpes train station, take the rail tracks up and all that wasteland could be used for parking, having a station opposite BP.
Take it a bit further: under the monorail, where the rail tracks were, build a road in from Riby Square into the wasteland (car park). The road on matches would one way upto kick-off and then reverse after the match, taking the load off Grimsby Road. It could be part of the regeneration of the dock area linking up with BP via pathways.

You have quite an imagination, Yard Dog. Good luck convincing Network Rail to give up their land.

Please consider that Freeman Street is one mile closer to the A180 dual carriageway than Blundell Park. Building the stadium at Freemo would reduce congestion on Cleethorpe Road. There would therefore be no need to remove the railway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 316 - 520
DB
November 11, 2021, 4:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.34
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,069
Gold Stars: 391
According to the Trust AGM question and answer with Debbie Cook the answer to a new stadium, as I understand is :-

"New ground? Do we say enough is enough and say we are staying here. DC said JS & AP have had some work done on potential options for the stadium debate. Final report arrived last week, so is under consideration now."

The minutes are from the 14th October so 'last week' would be w/c 4th October. Presumably, we will hear something soon from the board.

We might be moving but I think given previous statements by JS that it will be about the development of BP. It is also worth noting an announcement about a new training ground is due soon, so it cold under the same statement.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 317 - 520
ska face
November 11, 2021, 7:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,904
Gold Stars: 854
I am absolutely dying to know where White Shorts fits into all this and what interest he has in that land down Freemo (or nearby).

Come on, indulge us.
Private Message
Reply: 318 - 520
KingstonMariner
November 11, 2021, 11:25pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ska face
I am absolutely dying to know where White Shorts fits into all this and what interest he has in that land down Freemo (or nearby).

Come on, indulge us.

Has he got an 80 grand car with a scratch?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 319 - 520
53 Pages Prev ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.