Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 153 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,647 views. Print
53 Pages Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... Next All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
February 20, 2022, 9:47am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,106
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

We been round the houses on this so many times, the evidence is that in the long run well planned new stadia improve the standing of financially stable clubs (and also "we are all dead"). Examples like Darlo is a ridiculous outlier. Sadly, we are probably a prime long run example of what happens when you don't improve outdated facilities (stadium and training). Looking at our history our decline is actually startling, from comfortably in the top tier of "town" clubs (ie not big city) in the whole Lincs Yorkshire region with Barnsley and Huddersfield and probably top 10 in the whole country, to nearly 20 years of bottom tier and non-league.

I'd like to see what an architect could do with BP. Construction techniques have moved on since the early 80s when we had to demolish Barrett. There is a lot more off-side fabrication / modular build so construction times are reduced. What do we get with a phased replacement of the Pontoon, Main and Osmond? Do we get a 12k capacity stadium and at what cost? Surely the new owners will be assessing this against a new stadium behind the scenes. If we got promotion, with the uptick in crowds continuing we'd need to do something. The home areas would be near full for most league games.

I think a huge issue would be getting planning permission. I would like to see the possibility explored of extending the Findus and then working on a phased rebuild of the Main Stand and Osmond.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 360 - 520
GrimPol
February 20, 2022, 9:52am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

We been round the houses on this so many times, the evidence is that in the long run well planned new stadia improve the standing of financially stable clubs (and also "we are all dead"). Examples like Darlo is a ridiculous outlier. Sadly, we are probably a prime long run example of what happens when you don't improve outdated facilities (stadium and training). Looking at our history our decline is actually startling, from comfortably in the top tier of "town" clubs (ie not big city) in the whole Lincs Yorkshire region with Barnsley and Huddersfield and probably top 10 in the whole country, to nearly 20 years of bottom tier and non-league.

I'd like to see what an architect could do with BP. Construction techniques have moved on since the early 80s when we had to demolish Barrett. There is a lot more off-side fabrication / modular build so construction times are reduced. What do we get with a phased replacement of the Pontoon, Main and Osmond? Do we get a 12k capacity stadium and at what cost? Surely the new owners will be assessing this against a new stadium behind the scenes. If we got promotion, with the uptick in crowds continuing we'd need to do something. The home areas would be near full for most league games.

Boston Utd who have just moved into their own stadium, Jakemans 5K capacity @ £12 million have had an uptick in crowds.
Season, since their move in 20-21 season.  Season 16-17=1090 avg, 17-18=1045avg, 18-19=1100avg (19-20, 20-21 Covid) 21-22=1600.
If you are looking at twice capacity stadium then £18 million would be a good bet. Hell of a mortgage.
You then ask what NE Lincs wants with the stadium. The playing field, for what?
Maybe the dining area since Winter Gardens demise. So what does a community stadium do exactly?

The refurb of BP is a better idea. It's financially comfortable, and one thing a Brand Spanking New Sponsors Name Stadium will not have is history.
Seeing history is all GTFC been running on for some time, its a needed ingredient to hold us up in the bad times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 361 - 520
MuddyWaters
February 20, 2022, 12:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
I find it difficult to understand why the new owners aren’t pursuing a new stadium simply because one of their stated aims is for community improvement and also improving the matchday experience.

Throwing money at BP can’t surely achieve that, can it?
Private Message
Reply: 362 - 520
lew chaterleys lover
February 20, 2022, 12:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,816
Gold Stars: 239
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I find it difficult to understand why the new owners aren’t pursuing a new stadium simply because one of their stated aims is for community improvement and also improving the matchday experience.

Throwing money at BP can’t surely achieve that, can it?

It could be that they would like a new stadium but it is simply too expensive.  A great shame and I did initially think they would have the resources and contacts to achieve it but they have said it is not a priority.

The training facility is a priority it seems and unless we hear anything to the contrary we will be staying at BP in its current state.
Private Message
Reply: 363 - 520
HertsGTFC
February 20, 2022, 1:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,076
Gold Stars: 238
Do we need to move? Yes. Can we afford it? No. Without significant subsidy will be ever be able to afford it? No.

The plan appears to be,

- Pay Fenty off
- Sort the training ground
- Attract new investors
- Add more quality on the pitch
- Get promoted
- Add more investment
- Mobilise a plan to move

I’d like point 5 to happen quicker but don’t believe it will. As for spending money on BP? What’s the term? “Lipstick on a pig”?

In reality I’d be amazed if we don’t end this decade at BP.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 364 - 520
Swansea_Mariner
February 20, 2022, 1:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,482
Gold Stars: 63
The new owners response in this area is personally my biggest disappointment in their approach so far, I think we could realistically spend several million on Blundell Park and it still wouldn't create a long term sustainable solution.

I can't quite reconcile the claim that they want to put the club on a sustainable footing for the next 140 years yet we could be one of a handful of clubs left in the country without a modern stadium. Could Blundell Park accommodate football for another 100 years, not without a full rebuild it couldn't, and building on a constrained site like this costs big bucks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 365 - 520
MuddyWaters
February 20, 2022, 3:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
The new owners response in this area is personally my biggest disappointment in their approach so far, I think we could realistically spend several million on Blundell Park and it still wouldn't create a long term sustainable solution.

I can't quite reconcile the claim that they want to put the club on a sustainable footing for the next 140 years yet we could be one of a handful of clubs left in the country without a modern stadium. Could Blundell Park accommodate football for another 100 years, not without a full rebuild it couldn't, and building on a constrained site like this costs big bucks.

My thoughts exactly. Blundell Park is possibly the most over polished 💩 in the country.
Private Message
Reply: 366 - 520
Heisenberg
February 20, 2022, 3:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,110
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from MuddyWaters

My thoughts exactly. Blundell Park is possibly the most over polished 💩 in the country.

Thank goodness people are coming out with comments like this, I was starting to think I was in the minority. BP is a relic, a dump, and we need to move. Alas, we probably never will, and yes, I agree that the lack of clarity and the apparent negativity from the new owners has been disappointing. I’d like to at least know what plan they have regarding the ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 367 - 520
GrimPol
February 20, 2022, 3:37pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
It could be that they would like a new stadium but it is simply too expensive.  A great shame and I did initially think they would have the resources and contacts to achieve it but they have said it is not a priority.

The training facility is a priority it seems and unless we hear anything to the contrary we will be staying at BP in its current state.

Surely the point of start is what we can afford. Yes NE Lincs/Developement money input would help, but what is in it for NE Lincs? Out of the 159K NE Lincs folks, only 5.5K watch GT 28? (23+5 cup game) times a year. TAt 3.5%, that's a hard sell. And as I remember we boycott League cup, so???
Currently, only £21 million has been allocated to the Grimsby Project, and at £1.8 million spent on St James, Square, plus monies allocated to various other projects (Kasbah, Riverhead Square, Cycle Loops, Garth Lane Community, and Central Library), do you honestly think millions will be left over for the Stadium?.
If the £18 million to build a new one is correct then that's a £1million a year mortgage (25 years)
we would need about 2500 bums on seats increase to pay for that assuming £13 a seat profit. Season tickets yield about £11 at a guess due to the Adult/Kids/65+/75+ mix. And that is assuming its 25years, any less and yearly payback goes up. So you pick the Profit V Numbers game.
Fenty tried to connect a new build with a Supermarket/Retail Park development, which never came off. Nobody is building mega retail parks now., so we are on our own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 368 - 520
jamesgtfc
February 20, 2022, 4:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,106
Gold Stars: 190
Everybody expects us to get out of this league and do alright in the league above which means success on the pitch. Is a stadium that they work in once a fortnight most likely to contribute to that or is a training ground where they spend Monday-Friday for about 46 weeks of the year?

20 years of telling anyone who would listen about a new ground didn't get us anywhere did it and it needs support from our council which just so happens to be one that our former owner was a "key" part of until he got into bed with a convicted criminal. You pick your battles and I'm sure a proper plan for our home will be drawn up in due course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 369 - 520
53 Pages Prev ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.