Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 34 Guests

We're out of the EU!

This thread currently has 40,343 views. Print
36 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
June 27, 2016, 10:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,809
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimRob
Can't believe people think we can swap our trading partners right on our doorstep for our former colonies the other side of the world, and not notice any difference. If there is any hope of maintaining our standard of living then we have to at very least remain part of the single market,

Yeah but you clearly have no understanding of democracy. People who do know that we can start trading exponentially more with India and countries that are poorer but equally far away and that will comfortably make us wealthier  .

Never mind the fact we currently do more than 4x as much trade with the Netherlands for example who are literally on our doorstep, we'll be going back to the glory days of the Empire.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 230 - 356
grimsby pete
June 27, 2016, 11:20am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,837
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from GrimRob
Can't believe people think we can swap our trading partners right on our doorstep for our former colonies the other side of the world, and not notice any difference. If there is any hope of maintaining our standard of living then we have to at very least remain part of the single market,

A deal will be done Rob because we BUY more from the EU then we sell,

It will hurt them more than us, already Germany have said we should not fall out and remain friends,

Also we do a lot of trade wit China that could be greatly increased,

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 231 - 356
MarinerMal
June 27, 2016, 11:43am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +789
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from grimsby pete

It will hurt them more than us, already Germany have said we should not fall out and remain friends,

Yes a deal will be done providing we sign up to freedom of movement. Then the main reason why a lot of people voted to leave will still be there... immigration!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 232 - 356
GrimRob
June 27, 2016, 11:46am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,468
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from MarinerMal

Yes a deal will be done providing we sign up to freedom of movement. Then the main reason why a lot of people voted to leave will still be there... immigration!

There should be a new referendum with three choices when the new deal is reached:

1, Remain as we are now
2. Accept the new deal
3. Reject the new deal

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 233 - 356
grimsby pete
June 27, 2016, 11:49am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,837
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from MarinerMal

No Rob a deal will be done without having to agree to free movement.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 234 - 356
mariner91
June 27, 2016, 12:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

About 5% of our trade is with China and about 35% of that trade is exporting cars to them. Given that their economy has slowed down some what there might not be sufficient demand for them to greatly increase the number of cars from us so it's by no means certain that trade will "greatly increase".
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 235 - 356
mariner91
June 27, 2016, 12:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

You're living in a dream world.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 236 - 356
barralad
June 27, 2016, 1:13pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,300
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from grimsby pete

Pete I read that out of all 27 other countries in the E.U. we only import more than we export from two of them. Germany and The Netherlands.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 237 - 356
Town Monkey
June 27, 2016, 1:51pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +379
Gold Stars: 6
I've given it some time before posting because I wanted to respond in a polite and measured way. Obviously, I'm very disappointed in the result but I won't rehash the arguments again.  I think the tone in general after the result has been as toxic on both sides as it was before (not on here but in the wider populace).  There have been a lot of claims of xenophobia and stupidity thrown around which is unfair and unhelpful.  People like M93 have clearly done their research and made an informed decision which I respect even if I fundamentally disagree with their conclusions.  Similarly, a tiny minority of the out voters have seen this as a green light to abuse our fellow UK citizens, which is abhorrent.  

So how do we make progress?  Personally, I'd like the powers that be to ignore the referendum and continue with business as usual.       Sadly that's not going to happen so I think we need to sort a deal asap.  Hopefully, some informal negotiations can be entered into ahead of any triggering of Article 50 but I don't see that happening.  Therefore, we need a leadership team in place as soon as possible but hopefully not with Boris at the helm.  I think we need a leader who can unite the country (or at least the Tories) and try and heal the divisions that have been created (or probably more accurately exposed). We also need a strong effective opposition either under Corbyn or someone else who again can try and unite their party.  If the politicians drag their heels, the uncertainty will only make things worse.

As an indication of how real that threat is, one of my concerns prior to the vote was around a transfer of jobs abroad.  That is sadly proving to be the case as a number of my clients are already looking into moving their head offices into the EU.  I appreciate that some of you will say good riddance, but these are companies that employ a good number of people and pay significant amounts of tax in the UK.  

We're heading into the unknown, and I hope the Leave camp are right that things will be better.  My concern, as it has always been, is that they might not be.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 238 - 356
arryarryarry
June 27, 2016, 2:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,052
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from horsforthmariner
One thing I believe is that if it does go to pot and the Government is forced to make cuts it should be pensions and winter fuel allowance should be first to face cuts - I don't see why young people should have to pay for the decisions of the old.

You really are a nincompoop, I know plenty of young people at our place of work that voted to leave.

As for pensions those that are receiving them will have likely paid N.I. contributions for probably 50 years so will be entitled to them no matter what your small mind believes.

Private Message
Reply: 239 - 356
36 Pages Prev ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › We're out of the EU!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.