Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 64 Guests

Signings

This thread currently has 40,751 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Balthazar Bullitt
February 2, 2016, 3:30pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16
Did we get ourselves into a position of relying on one lad to say yes?

Given Hurst' 's history with transfers I'm a little surprised anyone is trying claim they know what's been happening behind the scenes.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 253
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 2, 2016, 3:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

Given Hurst' 's history with transfers I'm a little surprised anyone is trying claim they know what's been happening behind the scenes.

Well, clearly the answer is yes, self-evidently we did get ourselves into that position because nobody signed.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes. That's why I said "you have to wonder how ......"

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 253
LocalLadGTFC
February 2, 2016, 4:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 141

Well, clearly the answer is yes, self-evidently we did get ourselves into that position because nobody signed.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes. That's why I said "you have to wonder how ......"

I'd more than expect that we wasn't relying on the one lad to say yes and we had more than one target but with him signing so late and the reality of we're a conference club and people would have to drive down here to sign rather than getting a aeroplane into humberside airport probably prevented us from making any movements for other players. I'd expect us to make movements in the loan market though and a free agent ST to be coming through the door.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 202 - 253
promotion plaice
February 2, 2016, 4:51pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Also Vose to Scunthorpe was one of the last deals of the day done so obviously made his decision very late leaving Hurst with next to no time getting anything done.

Vose saying he didn't want to leave Wrexham and had no interest in joining Town  -

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dominic-vose-wanted-stay-wrexham-10826334?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 253
friskneymariner
February 2, 2016, 5:03pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Even though disappointed he was not interested its good to see we were in a position to put in a bid.Perhaps we can use the money on paying the wages of some top quality loanees.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 253
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 2, 2016, 5:04pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +9,073
Gold Stars: 194
I believe hurst had 3 or 4 targets, with at least one players parent club demanding a fee and a loan query for an ex player.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 253
ginnywings
February 2, 2016, 5:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Shows how difficult it is to get quality players in. All done and dusted between the clubs but the player refuses. Would have been a much happier place on the Fishy if he'd just said yes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 253
Mariner93er
February 2, 2016, 5:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,736
Gold Stars: 28
There's no winning for Hurst in this situation really. He's clearly done what many wanted and gone after player(s) that will improve the team and not just make up numbers, but has been unlucky in missing out. In our situation, there was always a high possibility that such players would be hard to persuade to come to grimsby, as has been shown with the vose situation. If however he hadn't done this and had settled for 'that will do' quality players, therefore ensuring we had more numbers, he would have been moaned at for not being ambitious enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 253
Madeleymariner
February 2, 2016, 5:19pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,074
Gold Stars: 52
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

No, we already signed 2 midfielders, so not relying on getting him at all. Hurst probably took a punt on getting him as a long shot but lost out to a league club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 253
MuddyWaters
February 2, 2016, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from ginnywings
Shows how difficult it is to get quality players in. All done and dusted between the clubs but the player refuses. Would have been a much happier place on the Fishy if he'd just said yes.

He didn't want to come so we're better off without him and the Fishy will be a much better place when it understands that. Reading his interview, he's clearly a bit of a loose cannon as is his agent.
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 253
26 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.