Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 1, 2016, 10:29am
We need something to pick us fans back up !

Matt Dannatt from the telegraph has tweeted 'Just got off the phone to people at #GTFC. Clear that things are happening, but we wait to see when/if things will come to fruition.
Posted by: gtfc98, February 1, 2016, 10:36am; Reply: 1
BRING BACK JARMO
Posted by: bradzmilne, February 1, 2016, 10:39am; Reply: 2
Rather dip into the loan market than trying to fit round pegs into square holes.
Posted by: blasty, February 1, 2016, 10:46am; Reply: 3
Loan market all well and good but if 93 day is maximum loan and this means it expires before play offs then that's a huge concern.

Posted by: oldun, February 1, 2016, 10:53am; Reply: 4
I am sure PH and the club have been working hard to strengthen the squad. I just hope they have some success. I don't want to see any panic signing though.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 1, 2016, 10:53am; Reply: 5
Always the same last minute panic.

We let players leave struggle with injuries but rush around on deadline day for someone to fill up the numbers.

Not the ideal way to show we mean buisness.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2016, 10:56am; Reply: 6
Quoted from jonnyboy82

We let players leave struggle with injuries but rush around on deadline day for someone to fill up the numbers.

As much as we need to strengthen, I would be happier to wait for the loanee that fits rather than sign someone for the sake of it.
Posted by: Biccys, February 1, 2016, 11:05am; Reply: 7
Most deals in the lower divisions are done late in the window, it's a fact of life I'm afraid. Yes we'd all love new faces in asap but it just doesn't work out that way. We were all praising PH for getting signings early on in the close season and were pretty much happy with all the business he had done then. I trust his work ethic and dedication to his job will bear fruit today.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 1, 2016, 11:07am; Reply: 8
Wouldn't be surprised if we sign 3 players today, a left footed left back, a winger and a big striker.
Posted by: mariner91, February 1, 2016, 11:11am; Reply: 9
Quoted from jonnyboy82

Yeah like last year when we made both the signings a week before the window closed. Always last minute, boo Hurst.
Posted by: Garth, February 1, 2016, 11:12am; Reply: 10
Only sign as good as or better than we have, no dead wood please
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 1, 2016, 11:23am; Reply: 11
Eh?

The only player we've let go who we need to replace is Mackreth.

Brown was miles from the first team picture and we had already brought in two guys (Henderson and Nolan) in his position.  

Hurst was slated by some when he brought in Alabi back end of last year because we had options galore up top at that point, now he doesn't bring in bodies to cover a couple of injuries and he's slated again.  The guy really can't do right can he?

For the record I think we need some back up, Saturday showed not just in terms of numbers but also depth of quality that we're lacking but the last thing I want to see is players brought in when they're going to offer nothing and might not fit into the dynamic of the dressing room.    

If anyone thinks Hurst has been sat there just hoping we get the right players in and he'll leave it until the end of the transfer window on purpose they're sadly mistaken.  We're at the mercy of things moving along at other clubs.  Hurst may well have a couple of targets identified but he'll be waiting on players coming into those clubs before they're allowed to leave....that'll be the same across the country.  
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2016, 11:24am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Garth
Only sign as good as or better than we have, no dead wood please

I agree, we don't want journeymen, we want quality. But beggars can't be choosers and we appear to be beggars.

To say that we are supposed to be a club that has publicly said it wants to be challenging not just for the play offs but for the title, it is disappointing to say the least that we did not sign quality players early in the window to help us get there. Maybe Saturday wouldn't have happened then? Who knows?

Of course there is a budget but you get what you pay for in football. If you want to go up you have to splash more cash than you want to.

Of course patience is a virtue and the manager has lots of virtue, but time isn't on his side or ours for that matter.

Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 1, 2016, 11:26am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Biccys
Most deals in the lower divisions are done late in the window, it's a fact of life I'm afraid. Yes we'd all love new faces in asap but it just doesn't work out that way. We were all praising PH for getting signings early on in the close season and were pretty much happy with all the business he had done then. I trust his work ethic and dedication to his job will bear fruit today.

Cheltenham & VGR seem to have got their players in within a couple of days of the transfer window opening.
Posted by: Garth, February 1, 2016, 11:29am; Reply: 14
It's not only players that have moved on though is it, more the fact that we are short in depth through injuries.
Agreed that PH will have numerous targets to fall back on should his No 1 s fail
Posted by: barralad, February 1, 2016, 11:42am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Cheltenham & VGR seem to have got their players in within a couple of days of the transfer window opening.

Perhaps they were just lucky in their choice of target.
Posted by: DocTower, February 1, 2016, 11:45am; Reply: 16
I still think it's our location that is one of our stumbling blocks,  plus a short term signing in the conference on the money we are willing to pay !  Think our best bet would be Hull , Scunny or Doncaster  less travelling .
Everyone seems down today about the manner of the defeat and the two above up just grinding away picking up points with uninspiring performances , something we can't do .
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 1, 2016, 11:48am; Reply: 17
Can travel to Norway for about £10 with Ryan Air.  Hurst should scout the leagues there a couple of times a month, probally work out just as cheap than driving around the country watching matches here.  :)

Hasselbaink brought an uknown striker Nasser El Khayati from the Dutch amateur league to Burton Albion for absolutely nothing, he's now bought him off Burton for QPR for a nice 350K profit.

This is the team he played for - 2,500 stadium >> [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kozakken_Boys]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kozakken_Boys[/url]

[url=http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11711/10149684/qpr-agree-163350000-fee-for-burtons-nasser-el-khayati-sky-sources]http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11711/10149684/qpr-agree-163350000-fee-for-burtons-nasser-el-khayati-sky-sources[/url]
Posted by: Maringer, February 1, 2016, 12:03pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from barralad

VGR are probably paying twice as much as we can offer. Might make the transfers move through a bit more smoothly, despite the Quorn lasagne on the menu!
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, February 1, 2016, 12:31pm; Reply: 19

Lucky in the same way that they keep scoring in the 93rd minute ?

I think not.

Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 1, 2016, 12:34pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You've also got to take into account that certain players may try and keep options open thus waiting till the end.

Posted by: pontoonlew, February 1, 2016, 12:34pm; Reply: 21
Not sure why people are saying we need back up players. What we need is somebody better than we already have, thus making our 'back up' a current first teamer.

Not sure how we're expected to improve if we sign back up players all season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2016, 12:37pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Can travel to Norway for about £10 with Ryan Air.  Hurst should scout the leagues there a couple of times a month, probally work out just as cheap than driving around the country watching matches here.  :)

Hasselbaink brought an uknown striker Nasser El Khayati from the Dutch amateur league to Burton Albion for absolutely nothing, he's now bought him off Burton for QPR for a nice 350K profit.

This is the team he played for - 2,500 stadium >> [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kozakken_Boys]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kozakken_Boys[/url]

[url=http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11711/10149684/qpr-agree-163350000-fee-for-burtons-nasser-el-khayati-sky-sources]http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11711/10149684/qpr-agree-163350000-fee-for-burtons-nasser-el-khayati-sky-sources[/url]

That would make sense if the Norwegian league was to a great standard. Also in defence of PH there are only so many hours in a day so hopping off to Norway to look at "possibilities" where would you rather he was on the training ground with the players or in some fjord looking at a part time player.  

Players won't come here from indie the UK never mind upping sticks to come and play in the National League. At Burton JFH could offer a signing something we can't - league football!

Posted by: acko338, February 1, 2016, 12:41pm; Reply: 23
Anyone around the ground being nosy for any arrivals as potential signings on the last day??
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 1, 2016, 12:43pm; Reply: 24
We could end up with some right Knut if we did that....

Anyway what would happen today if someone came in for Amond? How much would they have to pay?
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 1, 2016, 12:50pm; Reply: 25
250k for Amond, he's worth no way near that to anybody else but us. So I cannot see it happening whatsoever.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 1, 2016, 12:51pm; Reply: 26
eastleigh fail in a "substantial" bid for billy kee of accrington
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 1, 2016, 1:20pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from pontoonlew
Not sure why people are saying we need back up players. What we need is somebody better than we already have, thus making our 'back up' a current first teamer.

I think we could do with both. I don't expect us to sign a centre back better than we have but some back up might be useful if Pearson and Gowling are both carrying knocks.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 1:39pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I think we could do with both. I don't expect us to sign a centre back better than we have but some back up might be useful if Pearson and Gowling are both carrying knocks.

That would be my take on it. Although it would be nice to bring in players that will go straight into the first eleven because they are better than what we have, the reality is that it would prove difficult to do unless we get really lucky or chuck loads of money at it. When we do get a situation where it happens, namely Nolan replacing Clay, the fans don't like it and seem to be blaming him for our defeat. New player comes in, we lose, ergo it's his and Hurst's fault.

Losing the best left back (and player) in the league, followed by losing another left back who would walk into most sides, is very bad luck and has disrupted the team no end.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 1, 2016, 1:42pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from pontoonlew

Agree, one of which needs to be a decent winger because Monkhouse, Arnold and Marshall were all pretty rubbish on Saturday. We seem to have enough cover in midfield so the other players we need are a left back plus probably another forward.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 1, 2016, 1:49pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Hagrid
eastleigh fail in a "substantial" bid for billy kee of accrington

Had a failed bid for Matt tubbs as well apparently
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2016, 2:24pm; Reply: 31
Before Christmas several posters were saying that what we needed to do was make signings in January that were not only better than the current players but would make a statement of intent to get the title. We have failed to do that and I suspect today we will see now only squad level players signed or loaned to cover injuries.

That may be enough to get us a lottery play off spot but no higher.

Nolan  isn't a bad player but he's not the sort of marque signing the fans hoped for and he's not so good he can walk into a side and make an immediate impact. The lad will take time to settle but that is time we may not have.

We were unlucky with left backs? Were we though? It was always likely that Townsend would be snapped up by a league club and Robertson was known to be injury prone. The latter falls into the JP category - good player and good pro but how often can he play? The left back position was always a gamble and this time it didn't work out.

I suspect the manager is happy enough with the current eleven and just wants some more bodies for back up. That is his style, he's nailed his colours to the mast and we can't criticise him just now for that. It's not the way I would have done it but then I'm not the manager, just a fan who is desperate to see our fixture list next season with the heading League Two.
Posted by: Garth, February 1, 2016, 2:36pm; Reply: 32
Rotherham confirm forward Chris Maguire has left the club by mutual consent.

Just seen this PH connection?
Posted by: davmariner, February 1, 2016, 2:39pm; Reply: 33
Imminent announcement
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 2:41pm; Reply: 34
Before Christmas several posters were saying that what we needed to do was make signings in January that were not only better than the current players but would make a statement of intent to get the title. We have failed to do that and I suspect today we will see now only squad level players signed or loaned to cover injuries.

That may be enough to get us a lottery play off spot but no higher.

Nolan  isn't a bad player but he's not the sort of marque signing the fans hoped for and he's not so good he can walk into a side and make an immediate impact. The lad will take time to settle but that is time we may not have.

We were unlucky with left backs? Were we though? It was always likely that Townsend would be snapped up by a league club and Robertson was known to be injury prone. The latter falls into the JP category - good player and good pro but how often can he play? The left back position was always a gamble and this time it didn't work out.

I suspect the manager is happy enough with the current eleven and just wants some more bodies for back up. That is his style, he's nailed his colours to the mast and we can't criticise him just now for that. It's not the way I would have done it but then I'm not the manager, just a fan who is desperate to see our fixture list next season with the heading League Two.

Did we know that? Not saying you are wrong but i wasn't aware he was particularly injury prone.

I agree with your post and have said myself that we need to make some signings of real intent. The reality is that getting those signings isn't as easy for us as it is for others with more money and more attractive locations to offer. As for Nolan, i think I've already seen enough to make me think he will make more happen than Clay, so for me he is an improvement. Others may think differently.

Getting better wingers may prove tricky but any kind of target man striker will improve us because we don't currently have one and are light in that department altogether.

I think East is the man who was brought in to cover positions at the back but he has been injured at a time when we needed him the most. Similarly Pearson who has picked up an injury at a bad time. We have been unlucky that we have suddenly lost defenders at the same time, which would always present a problem at any time of the season.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 1, 2016, 2:43pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Garth
Rotherham confirm forward Chris Maguire has left the club by mutual consent.

Just seen this PH connection?

signed for Oxford
Posted by: Hagrid, February 1, 2016, 2:44pm; Reply: 36
2.45 announcement- oxford just released a striker too
Posted by: BPMariner, February 1, 2016, 2:44pm; Reply: 37
Signing to be unveiled at 2.45 according to GTFC twitter
Posted by: BPMariner, February 1, 2016, 2:46pm; Reply: 38
Evan Horwood on loan from Northampton Town http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/deadlineday-left-back-arrives-2931321.aspx

Could be another Conor Townsend?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 1, 2016, 2:46pm; Reply: 39
Evan Horwood Anybody ?
Posted by: Hagrid, February 1, 2016, 2:48pm; Reply: 40
good name, don't know anything about him! welcome evan
Posted by: acko338, February 1, 2016, 2:48pm; Reply: 41
It begins - 1 out of possibly 3 newbies needed !

Glad he has covered the left back position - should know what to look for, really, from playing there !
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2016, 2:48pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from ginnywings

Did we know that? Not saying you are wrong but i wasn't aware he was particularly injury prone.

I seem to think he missed quite a lot of games at Chesterfield etc.. Then he struggled after his knee injury here. He's been unlucky and like you say the timing was unlucky as well with East.

Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 2:48pm; Reply: 43
Looks a decent left back with lots of league experience. Good signing i reckon and gets Tait back where he belongs. He may have been Robertson's replacement at Northampton?
Posted by: mariner91, February 1, 2016, 2:51pm; Reply: 44
Never heard of him but he's in a position we're desperate for so can't be a bad signing. Welcome Evan.
Posted by: Biccys, February 1, 2016, 2:51pm; Reply: 45
Hurst uncovers another unknown gem?
Posted by: Abdul19, February 1, 2016, 2:51pm; Reply: 46
Not played a single game this season. Injured or out of favour?
Posted by: davmariner, February 1, 2016, 2:52pm; Reply: 47
Never Evan heard of him
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 1, 2016, 2:52pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree with your post and have said myself that we need to make some signings of real intent. The reality is that getting those signings isn't as easy for us as it is for others with more money and more attractive locations to offer. As for Nolan, i think I've already seen enough to make me think he will make more happen than Clay, so for me he is an improvement. Others may think differently.

Getting better wingers may prove tricky but any kind of target man striker will improve us because we don't currently have one and are light in that department altogether.

I think East is the man who was brought in to cover positions at the back but he has been injured at a time when we needed him the most. Similarly Pearson who has picked up an injury at a bad time. We have been unlucky that we have suddenly lost defenders at the same time, which would always present a problem at any time of the season.

Nov 2009 suffered a double leg break - out for a year.

April 2011 Achilles tendon rupture - out for most of season 11/12.

Posted by: mariner91, February 1, 2016, 2:53pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from arryarryarry

Nov 2009 suffered a double leg break - out for a year.

April 2011 Achilles tendon rupture - out for most of season 11/12.

Not fair to quote a leg break. A trauma injury like that can happen to any player, not necessarily someone who is injury prone.
Posted by: the driver, February 1, 2016, 2:59pm; Reply: 50
Evans above !
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 3:04pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Abdul19
Not played a single game this season. Injured or out of favour?

This article from Nov suggests injury.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/squad-men-to-get-run-out-as-cobblers-arrange-posh-friendly-1-7068565

Posted by: Chrisblor, February 1, 2016, 3:06pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from ginnywings

He's made it onto on the bench for Northampton's last 4 matches at least - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/evan-horwood/leistungsdaten/spieler/59842
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 1, 2016, 3:08pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from mariner91

Not fair to quote a leg break. A trauma injury like that can happen to any player, not necessarily someone who is injury prone.

I was just pointing out some serious injuries, I didn't mention last season's either yet we still signed him again at the start of this season and here he is out again, so if he wasn't injury prone he certainly is now.
Posted by: mariner91, February 1, 2016, 3:09pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from arryarryarry

I was just pointing out some serious injuries, I didn't mention last season's either yet we still signed him again at the start of this season and here he is out again, so if he wasn't injury prone he certainly is now.

Fair enough and you're right that a serious injury like a double leg break can have lasting ramifications.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 1, 2016, 3:14pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Chrisblor

He's made it onto on the bench for Northampton's last 4 matches at least - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/evan-horwood/leistungsdaten/spieler/59842

Good stuff, must be nearing fitness then.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 3:16pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Chrisblor

Aye, I've no doubt he's ready to play, not much point otherwise. He looks a solid enough player who has played as high as league 1.
Posted by: acko338, February 1, 2016, 3:29pm; Reply: 57
It begins - 1 out of possibly 3 newbies needed !

Glad he has covered the left back position - should know what to look for, really, from playing there !
Posted by: Sigone, February 1, 2016, 3:54pm; Reply: 58
Deadline day is not over yet.  Official Gtfc tweet at 15:50
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 1, 2016, 4:03pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Sigone
Deadline day is not over yet.  Official Gtfc tweet at 15:50

And just after, Scunthorpe announce Darius Henderson has been released...
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 1, 2016, 4:04pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

And just after, Scunthorpe announce Darius Henderson has been released...

Now that would be a statement of intent!!
Posted by: oldun, February 1, 2016, 4:23pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from KK_DOG
Released, probably because they can't cope with two Henderson's at Scunthorpe, they get confused easily.

Could we?
Posted by: Mariners_15, February 1, 2016, 4:25pm; Reply: 62
Henderson would be cracking addition...maybe nothing in it but here's hoping!
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 4:28pm; Reply: 63
Well he saw what a spell here did for Townsend, so he may well give us a go 'til the end of season without much disruption to his travel arrangements, he says hopefully.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, February 1, 2016, 4:29pm; Reply: 64
Henderson is the best target man I've seen lower league over the years, remember watching Leyton Orient v Sheff Utd a few years back in person and he is a menace. Be brilliant if true.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 1, 2016, 4:38pm; Reply: 65
Hearing MBH at Aldershot is a possible target aswell??
Posted by: Hagrid, February 1, 2016, 4:38pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Hearing MBH at Aldershot is a possible target aswell??

god I hope not! had more clubs in the last few years than all the golfers on the PGA tour- don't think he's done much since his Macc days
Posted by: buckstown, February 1, 2016, 5:21pm; Reply: 67
Looks like we just need to keep one of Evan or Gregor fit for the next 4 months
Posted by: gytone, February 1, 2016, 5:22pm; Reply: 68
Whose MBH ?
Posted by: RoboCod, February 1, 2016, 5:25pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from KK_DOG
Released, probably because they can't cope with two Henderson's at Scunthorpe, they get confused easily.

They were fine until the signing of Terry Bigfoot.

Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 1, 2016, 5:31pm; Reply: 70
I'm assuming its Matthew Barnes-Homer
Posted by: horsforthmariner, February 1, 2016, 5:40pm; Reply: 71
Burton have cancelled contract of Aurelian Joachim - he's a big striker. I have no info that's him but it has justt flashed up on Sky Sports News
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 6:04pm; Reply: 72
Big striker Michael Higdon released by Sheff Utd. Pointless speculation and boredom kicking in.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 1, 2016, 6:13pm; Reply: 73
We'll probably sign no one, not being negative just our luck recently with signings.
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, February 1, 2016, 6:15pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from ginnywings
Big striker Michael Higdon released by Sheff Utd. Pointless speculation and boredom kicking in.

Saw him play several times for St Mirren. He's a beast upfront, big, bulky but knows where the goal is....
Posted by: mariner2000, February 1, 2016, 6:24pm; Reply: 75
Rob Jones contract cancelled by mutual consent!
Posted by: Grimal, February 1, 2016, 6:30pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Burton have cancelled contract of Aurelian Joachim - he's a big striker. I have no info that's him but it has justt flashed up on Sky Sports News

He's also a Striker for Luxembourg national team.

Posted by: Sigone, February 1, 2016, 6:53pm; Reply: 77
Club still working hard at bringing someone in, whether it happens time will tell according to Matt dannatt(telegraph)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 1, 2016, 6:55pm; Reply: 78
I hear we are interested in a couple of foreign players ....

Ader Titsoff a striker who likes the ball into chest.

Ben jackinoff a big unit defender but also a bit of a male masturbator.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2016, 6:57pm; Reply: 79
Perhaps the title of this thread should be made singular. ;)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2016, 7:03pm; Reply: 80
I thought Town fans had a sense of humour but it seems to have deserted them in their hour of need! ;D
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 1, 2016, 7:10pm; Reply: 81
club say no more signings tonight  :-/
Posted by: Sigone, February 1, 2016, 7:11pm; Reply: 82
No more signings expected now  :B
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 1, 2016, 7:14pm; Reply: 83
Well that's really impressive.
At least they had the courtesy of taking down the website saying they were working hard.
Posted by: bradzmilne, February 1, 2016, 7:18pm; Reply: 84
A small squad made one player light  :-/
Hopefully some real quality in the loan market becomes avaliable
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 1, 2016, 7:18pm; Reply: 85

Bill has lots of sayings.

One is good things come to those who wait.

Billl should shut the f*** up.
Posted by: chaos33, February 1, 2016, 7:20pm; Reply: 86
Pfffft.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 1, 2016, 7:22pm; Reply: 87
Get that bloody loan window open!!
Posted by: pontoonlew, February 1, 2016, 7:22pm; Reply: 88
You just know the squad is too light, so frustrating. We've known what we've needed for a month now and nothing has been done.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 7:22pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from bradzmilne
A small squad made one player light  :-/
Hopefully some real quality in the loan market becomes avaliable

How so?
Posted by: Chrisblor, February 1, 2016, 7:24pm; Reply: 90
Incredibly disappointing work from Hurst. Doesn't matter if he worked hard, we need new attacking signings imminently. We've not recovered from losing Townsend and look weaker now than we did at the start of the window. Only managing to bring in two centre mids and a left back isn't good enough.

He better be planning on pulling some rabbits out the hat when the loan window re-opens.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 7:24pm; Reply: 91
There will be free agents out there after today and they can be signed whenever, so it's not all over yet.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 1, 2016, 7:26pm; Reply: 92
Ah whatever.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 1, 2016, 7:27pm; Reply: 93
I'd argue we have the best strikeforce in the league and two of the best wingers, so what exactly are we looking for in this window????
Posted by: davmariner, February 1, 2016, 7:29pm; Reply: 94
We're looking for strength in depth as we approach a busy period.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 1, 2016, 7:29pm; Reply: 95
Have you not heard about injuries/loss of form/players needing a rest?
Posted by: mariner2000, February 1, 2016, 7:31pm; Reply: 96
unbelievable, sh!t work.  Nearly man not Nearly good enough again
Posted by: grimps, February 1, 2016, 7:31pm; Reply: 97
We should have enough to limp into the play offs
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 1, 2016, 7:33pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Have you not heard about injuries/loss of form/players needing a rest?

Injuries I can agree with but you act upon that when the injuries occur. They're professional footballers who are paid to train and play football this rest crap is a load of nonsense. They get the right treatment to be able to play 1/2 games of football a week.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2016, 7:35pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
club say no more signings tonight  :-/

We are well and truly fcuk'd if we get any more injuries.

I get the free agents available bit and the emergency loan window but we need players who have been playing some football even at reserve or U23 Level and ideally from bigger clubs.

Feeling very pessimistic about promotion now.

Posted by: mariner2000, February 1, 2016, 7:38pm; Reply: 100
has anybody told hurst the deadline doesn't close until 11PM!!!!!
Posted by: Chrisblor, February 1, 2016, 7:38pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
I'd argue we have the best strikeforce in the league and two of the best wingers, so what exactly are we looking for in this window????

Better wingers, a quality 4th striker. Players in any position who are better than what we have at the moment. Arnold and Monkhouse both had a poor game on Saturday. They're good for this league but neither are particularly consistent and are both prone to ineffective performances every now and then. The only option on the bench to replace either of them was Marshall, who isn't good enough and was a bad signing imo. After releasing Mackreth those three are our only wide players (i'm not counting Danny East as one since he's best playing at right back). Only two of them are any good which isn't enough for a team trying to get promoted.

People will roll out the excuses - "Grimsby's in a bad location for attracting players", "No point signing someone just for the sake of it", "Hurst has been trying hard". Doesn't matter - it was clear the squad needed to be improved in this window if we wanted to try and win the league. The money was there. It hasn't happened. Hurst has failed badly.
Posted by: Meza, February 1, 2016, 7:40pm; Reply: 102
Ok so without the injured

McKeown  
                              Warrington

Tait \ East        Toto                 Gowling        Horwood                        
Toto                      \                 /                  East \ Tait
                                Pearson

Disley           Clay
                        Hendo           Nolan            
Arnold \ Marshy                                          Monkey \ Arnold \ Marshy

Bogle            Amond
                               \             /
                                 Pittman

Injured
Gregors
Bastock

Left
Mackreth
Brown
Townsend
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 1, 2016, 7:41pm; Reply: 103
Well is anyone really surprised ?

You telling me we cant get a striker and a winger in to improve us ?

Bollox , massive statement was needed here from the club to show they mean buisness to the fans and this was probably the most important jan window in recent years after operation promotion.

Instead we get a left back who has had 10 clubs and been injured most of the season and a 5 foot ginger lincoln reject.

fvcking ecstatic.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 7:41pm; Reply: 104
So the same squad that has been good enough and big enough for two thirds of the season, got us to third and won 8 out of 9 games before saturday, suddenly isn't up to it because two players who couldn't even get on the bench have left? The only player we haven't replaced theoretically is Mackreth, who was nowhere near the first team.

Don't get me wrong, i accept we need some players in and have some injuries but it's not like we can't still put out a very good side. There is over a week until the next league game, which is plenty of time to get sorted.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 1, 2016, 7:43pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from Chrisblor

Better wingers, a quality 4th striker. Players in any position who are better than what we have at the moment. Arnold and Monkhouse both had a poor game on Saturday. They're good for this league but neither are particularly consistent and are both prone to ineffective performances every now and then. The only option on the bench to replace either of them was Marshall, who isn't good enough and was a bad signing imo. After releasing Mackreth those three are our only wide players (i'm not counting Danny East as one since he's best playing at right back). Only two of them are any good which isn't enough for a team trying to get promoted.

People will roll out the excuses - "Grimsby's in a bad location for attracting players", "No point signing someone just for the sake of it", "Hurst has been trying hard". Doesn't matter - it was clear the squad needed to be improved in this window if we wanted to try and win the league. The money was there. It hasn't happened. Hurst has failed badly.

I agree with most of what you're saying but the players have to be available and for a reasonable price, The actual chance of getting someone better than what we have currently for a reasonable price is very very slim. I agree that both Arnold and Monkhouse were poor on Saturday but so was the whole team. I also agree that we could do with a better backup winger than Marshall as he hasn't performed anywhere near to what he can do since he's been back but he's the exact sort of winger we need, someone that's going to get at his man constantly and look to beat him.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2016, 7:45pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from mariner2000
has anybody told hurst the deadline doesn't close until 11PM!!!!!

Clearly the overtime budget is also small.........

Posted by: Meza, February 1, 2016, 7:49pm; Reply: 107
I don't know what to think really.  Has PH been knocked back time and time again?  Maybe, but he's known we needed strengthening up top since the start of the season and now injuries are occurring.  Gregors was only a matter of time really and i think he will retire at the end of the season, or he should.  Marshy was a strange signing was on fire pre season, then an injury and now he's turned into dog poo!!

Oh well the joys of a footy fan lol.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2016, 7:54pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Meza
Ok so without the injured

McKeown  
                              Warrington

Tait \ East        Toto                 Gowling        Horwood                        
Toto                      \                 /                  East \ Tait
                                Pearson

Disley           Clay
                        Hendo           Nolan            
Arnold \ Marshy                                          Monkey \ Arnold \ Marshy

Bogle            Amond
                               \             /
                                 Pittman

Injured
Gregors
Bastock

Left
Mackreth
Brown
Townsend

Or look at it this way..........

Warrington Macca
              Tait East Toto Gowling Horwood Pearson                        
                         Disley Clay Hendo Nolan            
                          Monkey  Arnold  Marshy
                      Bogle  Amond Pittman Clifton

Some versiatility but if we lost another 1 or 2 to injury we would struggle.
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, February 1, 2016, 7:55pm; Reply: 109
Vose gone to scunthorpe
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 1, 2016, 7:56pm; Reply: 110
Absolutely excrement!  Saturday was deflating enough. So what's the situation now? We bring in loans that can be for a maximum of 3 months?

Where is our target man we have been after for the last 8 months?
Posted by: Chrisblor, February 1, 2016, 7:57pm; Reply: 111
Quoted from ginnywings
So the same squad that has been good enough and big enough for two thirds of the season, got us to third and won 8 out of 9 games before saturday, suddenly isn't up to it because two players who couldn't even get on the bench have left? The only player we haven't replaced theoretically is Mackreth, who was nowhere near the first team.

Don't get me wrong, i accept we need some players in and have some injuries but it's not like we can't still put out a very good side. There is over a week until the next league game, which is plenty of time to get sorted.

Yeah, if we want to win the league it isn't good enough. So far it's been good enough to get us to 3rd place, and Townsend was a significant contributor to our recent impressive run of form. Since his last game for us we've smashed Altrincham and Welling (as you'd expect us to do), but we've been awful and devoid of attacking ideas against Guiseley and Gateshead.

It's only a small sample, but we've achieved 1.75 points per game over our last 4 games since Townsend left. Sure, that might be enough to cement a playoff place, but I expected us to make some impressive signings with the Operation Promotion money and really go for Cheltenham and Forest Green during this transfer window. That hasn't happened and it now looks like we're settling for the playoffs which is a huge disappointment for me.
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 1, 2016, 7:58pm; Reply: 112
Transfer deadline day is only really significant for the top clubs because they only really deal in club to club transfers and they don't have any later loan windows, so for them if it's not done now then that's there lot.

It's different at our level, we can sign free agents up until March and there's a loan window open soon. Everyone seems to be sucked in by the media hype that is deadline day, and whilst I know we need reinforcements I'm not as panicked as some seem.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2016, 8:08pm; Reply: 113
What do we do on Saturday for the Trophy game?

Play more kids (if they haven't gone out on loan)?

Or do we play more first teamers and risk more injuries?

The dissatisfaction of supporters isn't because we lost at Gateshead, it isn't even so much about us playing badly at Gateshead. It's because we have no Plan B, no contingency for injuries or loss of form in key positions and no statement of intent in the transfer market that we are really serious about getting into League 2 by acquiring a class signing.

To other clubs we look like a second rate outfit happy to creep into the play offs and fleece fans who have made it the best supported club in the league. Is that what we are? What a let down.

I await the customary press release about player availability, waiting on players, waiting on clubs, waiting on other clubs, waiting for next Christmas ............

Posted by: chaos33, February 1, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Chrisblor

Agree
Posted by: chaos33, February 1, 2016, 8:09pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Chrisblor

Yeah, if we want to win the league it isn't good enough. So far it's been good enough to get us to 3rd place, and Townsend was a significant contributor to our recent impressive run of form. Since his last game for us we've smashed Altrincham and Welling (as you'd expect us to do), but we've been awful and devoid of attacking ideas against Guiseley and Gateshead.

It's only a small sample, but we've achieved 1.75 points per game over our last 4 games since Townsend left. Sure, that might be enough to cement a playoff place, but I expected us to make some impressive signings with the Operation Promotion money and really go for Cheltenham and Forest Green during this transfer window. That hasn't happened and it now looks like we're settling for the playoffs which is a huge disappointment for me.

Sadly, agree again.
Posted by: LH, February 1, 2016, 8:13pm; Reply: 116
If the title charge wasn't ended on Saturday it's been well and truly killed off tonight. We're an injury crisis away from an absolute disaster now.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2016, 8:13pm; Reply: 117
Reality kicks in again, once again the loyal, bomb-proof fan base stick their hands in their pockets to help the club survive, turn up in huge numbers home and away whilst Fenty and the board think it's good enough to scrape into the play offs. Well, there's no wonder the tide of footballing fortune is halfway tofucking Denmark Mr Fenty.
Posted by: chaos33, February 1, 2016, 8:15pm; Reply: 118
What do we do on Saturday for the Trophy game?

Play more kids (if they haven't gone out on loan)?

Or do we play more first teamers and risk more injuries?

The dissatisfaction of supporters isn't because we lost at Gateshead, it isn't even so much about us playing badly at Gateshead. It's because we have no Plan B, no contingency for injuries or loss of form in key positions and no statement of intent in the transfer market that we are really serious about getting into League 2 by acquiring a class signing.

To other clubs we look like a second rate outfit happy to creep into the play offs and fleece fans who have made it the best supported club in the league. Is that what we are? What a let down.

I await the customary press release about player availability, waiting on players, waiting on clubs, waiting on other clubs, waiting for next Christmas ............

Absolutely!
Posted by: acko338, February 1, 2016, 8:21pm; Reply: 119
It makes me laugh every transfer day when fans on here DEMAND that players will come and play here.

We are down here for a reason - we weren't good enough several seasons ago.

We were exceptionally lucky to give Conor Townsend his showcase in this window and he took it well, giving the team a confident look and well balanced.

We don't score from corners and struggle to find wingers who can cross consistently.

It's hard to keep fringe players happy, so those playing now would probably whinge if replaced at this point of the season.

Who on here would want Hurst's job  certainly not me !

He does well with selling the area as it is, holding the payments to players so as not to break any limits in place, and has significantly improved his interview technique this year.

Good players know their worth - managers sending loan players out want to see them playing every game regardless of form, these are the problems that we face with new and loan players every year.

There will be a list of players released today, and that is where Hurst will look, I'm sure.
Posted by: Garth, February 1, 2016, 8:29pm; Reply: 120
When can free agent players sign?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 1, 2016, 8:30pm; Reply: 121
Quoted from acko338
It makes me laugh every transfer day when fans on here DEMAND that players will come and play here.

We are down here for a reason - we weren't good enough several seasons ago.

We were exceptionally lucky to give Conor Townsend his showcase in this window and he took it well, giving the team a confident look and well balanced.

We don't score from corners and struggle to find wingers who can cross consistently.

It's hard to keep fringe players happy, so those playing now would probably whinge if replaced at this point of the season.

Who on here would want Hurst's job  certainly not me !

He does well with selling the area as it is, holding the payments to players so as not to break any limits in place, and has significantly improved his interview technique this year.

Good players know their worth - managers sending loan players out want to see them playing every game regardless of form, these are the problems that we face with new and loan players every year.

There will be a list of players released today, and that is where Hurst will look, I'm sure.

I will take hurst's job ta then give podge an extension , find a player who can take a corner and then tell fenty to give me a cushty bit of that cash left over from operation promotion to splurge on the players we really need to make us a force not a nearly team yet again.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 1, 2016, 8:32pm; Reply: 122
Sods law says, we have not made any exciting signings so we will win the league,

Unlike other seasons when we made exciting signings and did not gain promotion,
Posted by: the driver, February 1, 2016, 8:33pm; Reply: 123
To the old codger I am a fan and I will be there for my season ticket the day they go on sale will you I think not !
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 1, 2016, 8:33pm; Reply: 124
Quoted from Garth

Available to sign until March mate, that's when the deadline shuts for free agents.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 8:34pm; Reply: 125
Quoted from Garth

At any time. They have no contract so it is not a transfer.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2016, 8:43pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from ginnywings

At any time. They have no contract so it is not a transfer.

But you would question their match fitness as time kicks on.

Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 8:44pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from Chrisblor

I agree and i also agree that we need more players, preferably better than the ones we have but i'm trying to look at it realistically. How do we know there is any money there? Operation promotion money may already be gone; i have no idea. Are the players there for us and do they want to come here? Do you go for less players with more quality at the start of the season and hope you have enough cover, or do you sign a bigger squad with less ability to cover all bases? It must be a nightmare balancing act and one which i would not envy. People keep saying that Cheltenham and VGR have added quality early but maybe, just maybe they have more to offer than we do. I don't like it, in fact i hate it as much as the next fan but there it is. All the teams around us have bigger budgets and that is a fact.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2016, 8:44pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from the driver
To the old codger I am a fan and I will be there for my season ticket the day they go on sale will you I think not !

Good for you!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2016, 8:51pm; Reply: 129
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree and i also agree that we need more players, preferably better than the ones we have but i'm trying to look at it realistically. How do we know there is any money there? Operation promotion money may already be gone; i have no idea. Are the players there for us and do they want to come here? Do you go for less players with more quality at the start of the season and hope you have enough cover, or do you sign a bigger squad with less ability to cover all bases? It must be a nightmare balancing act and one which i would not envy. People keep saying that Cheltenham and VGR have added quality early but maybe, just maybe they have more to offer than we do. I don't like it, in fact i hate it as much as the next fan but there it is. All the teams around us have bigger budgets and that is a fact.

It may be a fact Ginny but it feels to a lot of us that the management has given up on the title without a fight. That's what rankles when you look at the support this club has compared with the top two. It's a real let down. Confidence has been well and truly dented. Those away fans especially deserve better.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), February 1, 2016, 8:57pm; Reply: 130
We have a super squad and I am happy. Three good signings in Jan is fine for me.

We are going up
Posted by: Biccys, February 1, 2016, 8:57pm; Reply: 131
What? You actually think that PH has given up on the title?? I can't think of anything less likely. There are myriad turns in this season yet, and yes, you may be right in thinking we won't win the league, I agree it's unlikely. But to say that the manager has given in and is throwing the towel in already is preposterous!
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 1, 2016, 8:57pm; Reply: 132
This is why we are and will remain the nearly club of the Conference.
Posted by: Garth, February 1, 2016, 9:00pm; Reply: 133
So all is not lost, bodies will arrive in due course, 11pm is just a media poker game.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), February 1, 2016, 9:06pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from friskneymariner
This is why we are and will remain the nearly club of the Conference.

Posted by: barralad, February 1, 2016, 9:10pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from ginnywings

IMO the most sensible post in this whole thread. In short there is no easy answer. I'd even go so far as to say any player on Cheltenham's or VGR's shopping list would take one look at the table and not unreasonably think they are a better option than we are.
I'll own up to being a little uneasy about the ability of our smallish squad to cope with what is to come but I'd rather we didn't repeat some (most?) of the shenanigans of earlier transfer windows.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 1, 2016, 9:13pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from barralad

IMO the most sensible post in this whole thread. In short there is no easy answer. I'd even go so far as to say any player on Cheltenham's or VGR's shopping list would take one look at the table and not unreasonably think they are a better option than we are.
I'll own up to being a little uneasy about the ability of our smallish squad to cope with what is to come but I'd rather we didn't repeat some (most?) of the shenanigans of earlier transfer windows.

Its a sad reflections of how low we have sunk,when you are saying Cheltenhan and Village Green may be able to offer more than us.
Posted by: barralad, February 1, 2016, 9:14pm; Reply: 137

It may be a fact Ginny but it feels to a lot of us that the management has given up on the title without a fight. That's what rankles when you look at the support this club has compared with the top two. It's a real let down. Confidence has been well and truly dented. Those away fans especially deserve better.

I cannot make my mind up whether you are pot boiling or serious! What actual evidence is there that Hurst and co. have given up on the title/
Posted by: barralad, February 1, 2016, 9:19pm; Reply: 138

Its a sad reflections of how low we have sunk,when you are saying Cheltenhan and Village Green may be able to offer more than us.

Whether it is sad or not the practicalities are that certainly in VGRs case they can offer more of what matters to the majority of players and Cheltenham have obviously decided to use their parachute payment more effectively than we did.

It absolutely kills me too but the great history of our club means nothing to players looking for as good a wage as possible
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 1, 2016, 9:24pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from barralad

Whether it is sad or not the practicalities are that certainly in VGRs case they can offer more of what matters to the majority of players and Cheltenham have obviously decided to use their parachute payment more effectively than we did.

It absolutely kills me too but the great history of our club means nothing to players looking for as good a wage as possible

And what matters to their agents...................

Posted by: LongEatonMariner, February 1, 2016, 9:25pm; Reply: 140
I would have liked some more signings but Jeez we're one unwanted winger less than last week.  The loan window opens soon.  I'm pretty sure the manager, staff and players are all confident in their collective abilities and haven't given up, so fans shouldn't either.

UTM
Posted by: Maringer, February 1, 2016, 9:25pm; Reply: 141

FGR can offer a lot, lot more than us. Twice as much or more, in some cases. Not sure how Cheltenham's finances stack up in comparison, though they will have the parachute payments.

Added to this, location, location, location of both clubs. Quite a lot of folk would be happy to live in the Bristol area.

Hopefully, we'll be able to pick up the players we need from the loan market and those released by other clubs.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2016, 9:25pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from barralad

That's as maybe, but it means more to the loyal fans and you know that as well as I do. There's no statement of intent, more an acceptance that playoffs is Ok, I, for one, expect us to compete and beat anyone in this league,.
Posted by: mariner91, February 1, 2016, 9:28pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from MuddyWaters

That's as maybe, but it means more to the loyal fans and you know that as well as I do. There's no statement of intent, more an acceptance that playoffs is Ok, I, for one, expect us to compete and beat anyone in this league,.

We are competing and we can beat any team in this league. There are 21 other teams in this league who would want to be in our position and some of them have a bigger budget. It's going to be difficult to win the league from here but it's not impossible. Even if we don't, we're better geared than last season to win the play offs in my opinion.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 9:35pm; Reply: 144

Alan Alger when guesting on the Codpod said that on top of all the money that FGR have received from the league, gate receipts, sponsorship and the like, their Chairman has chucked in another 5 million on top of that in the last three seasons. How the hell do we compete with that? In fact if they had a half decent manager, they would have been out of this league already. Cheltenham of course have parachute payments and pretty decent crowds, so we are immediately at a disadvantage despite our healthy crowd base.

Alger also said that the average finishing position for the losing play off finalist in the following season is 9th, so perhaps without the OP money, we maybe wouldn't even be challenging at all. Wrexham have never recovered from the season they got 98 points and didn't go up and they are a similar club to us support wise.

I'm not an Hurst apologist because as most should know, i don't think he has the nous to get us promoted but just a couple of weeks ago, the general consensus on here was that he had built the best squad we have had for years and all of a sudden, that view has changed. I think the only way we can win the league is if we bring in a manager who can produce well beyond budget levels because there are always going to be teams down here now with more cash than us, especially from next season. Either that or we negotiate the play offs successfully.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 1, 2016, 9:40pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from mariner91

We are competing and we can beat any team in this league. There are 21 other teams in this league who would want to be in our position and some of them have a bigger budget. It's going to be difficult to win the league from here but it's not impossible. Even if we don't, we're better geared than last season to win the play offs in my opinion.

I'm really not bothered about the 21 clubs below us, I just thought that the management of GTFC might be a bit more bothered about the 2 above. Nolan for Brown, OK, a replacement left back, OK, but where's the fourth striker and the replacement winger? There may be someone worthwhile who is now a free agent but without the additional cover of Venney and Sunter, we may have to play too many first teasers on Saturday and then Tuesday.
Posted by: barralad, February 1, 2016, 9:44pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from MuddyWaters

We've had similar discussions before. I was utterly gutted when we lost our League status. I was bitterly disappointed when we wasted our parachute payment on letting Mr Woods spend it. From the very first minute we were down here I believed that we had a maximum of two seasons where our recent history of being a league club would have any sort of beneficial effect. Once those had passed I accepted that the task would be that much harder given the pressure of new money coming up in the form of VGR and to a lesser extent Eastleigh as well as teams coming down who couldn't possibly make a lot of the mistakes we made. Once I'd accepted that I personally could deal with events more easily. My desire to see Town back in the league hasn't diminished-I still do between 35 and 40 games a season. I firmly believe that the squad we have is capable of a good shot at the title and if that proves beyond us then the play offs. I cannot get worked up about not signing player x or player y. That may be seen as a sign of weakness but I'm not bothered and, at least I sleep at night...
Posted by: barralad, February 1, 2016, 9:50pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from ginnywings

Alan Alger when guesting on the Codpod said that on top of all the money that FGR have received from the league, gate receipts, sponsorship and the like, their Chairman has chucked in another 5 million on top of that in the last three seasons. How the hell do we compete with that? In fact if they had a half decent manager, they would have been out of this league already. Cheltenham of course have parachute payments and pretty decent crowds, so we are immediately at a disadvantage despite our healthy crowd base.

Alger also said that the average finishing position for the losing play off finalist in the following season is 9th, so perhaps without the OP money, we maybe wouldn't even be challenging at all. Wrexham have never recovered from the season they got 98 points and didn't go up and they are a similar club to us support wise.

I'm not an Hurst apologist because as most should know, i don't think he has the nous to get us promoted but just a couple of weeks ago, the general consensus on here was that he had built the best squad we have had for years and all of a sudden, that view has changed. I think the only way we can win the league is if we bring in a manager who can produce well beyond budget levels because there are always going to be teams down here now with more cash than us, especially from next season. Either that or we negotiate the play offs successfully.

This is so true!! It might be unpalatable to say it but I'm convinced it is a knee jerk reaction to losing on Saturday. Hand on hearts if we'd won on Saturday there are several threads on here that would either be:- much shorter or non-existent
Posted by: mariner91, February 1, 2016, 9:51pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I'm really not bothered about the 21 clubs below us, I just thought that the management of GTFC might be a bit more bothered about the 2 above. Nolan for Brown, OK, a replacement left back, OK, but where's the fourth striker and the replacement winger? There may be someone worthwhile who is now a free agent but without the additional cover of Venney and Sunter, we may have to play too many first teasers on Saturday and then Tuesday.

You said you expected us to compete, we are competing. We've needed a good target man since LJL left and PH has failed miserably to get one in. However, we loaned a good player in Jones before, we loaned a good player in Palmer last season so there is no reason we can't find similar. Mackreth barely got a look in this season so do we really need a replacement? Ideally I'd like us to get another quality winger but we've done okay with what we've got so far this season. But the quality required maybe wasn't available, was asking too much or wouldn't relocate here, we don't know.

I'm sure the management is bothered about the two above, I'm sure he's worked very hard to get quality players in and it hasn't worked. There may be a multitude of factors for this but I don't believe for one second that he's not got them in cause he isn't arsed about winning the league and I think it's ridiculous to suggest as such.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 1, 2016, 9:58pm; Reply: 149
Taken from twitter " chance that GTFC signings will be done by tonight but highly likely ex SUFC striker darius henderson to join next week" dont know how true it is but gets us talking
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 1, 2016, 10:00pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from Hagrid
Taken from twitter " chance that GTFC signings will be done by tonight but highly likely ex SUFC striker darius henderson to join next week" dont know how true it is but gets us talking

Second time today you've beaten me to it lol ;)
Ace signing if it happens!

UTM!!
Posted by: Hagrid, February 1, 2016, 10:03pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

Second time today you've beaten me to it lol ;)
Ace signing if it happens!

UTM!!

Indeed!! Can play Colourblind every time he scores for us-if it happens of course
Posted by: Garth, February 1, 2016, 10:09pm; Reply: 152
PH has raised his bar somewhat in this window because of the quality and ability of the players already here, the disadvantage of this is that the players he has targeted are also of interest to our competitors and don't come easily, anyone can sign shirt fillers
Posted by: Youngy, February 1, 2016, 10:23pm; Reply: 153
Henderson would be a superb signing at this level. He's born in Doncaster so I'm guessing he doesn't want to move far. Could be our Jon Parkin and in games against the likes of FGR and Cheltenham, his experience could be crucial.
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, February 1, 2016, 10:25pm; Reply: 154
Just been contacted by a mate up here who heard on 5 live transfer deadline that Darius Henderson will sign for Town next week after being paid up by Scunny!

Fingers crossed that this happens, might explain why the club announced no more signings earlier this evening!

Keep the faith.

UTM
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 1, 2016, 10:26pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from mariner91

You said you expected us to compete, we are competing. We've needed a good target man since LJL left and PH has failed miserably to get one in. However, we loaned a good player in Jones before, we loaned a good player in Palmer last season so there is no reason we can't find similar. Mackreth barely got a look in this season so do we really need a replacement? Ideally I'd like us to get another quality winger but we've done okay with what we've got so far this season. But the quality required maybe wasn't available, was asking too much or wouldn't relocate here, we don't know.

I'm sure the management is bothered about the two above, I'm sure he's worked very hard to get quality players in and it hasn't worked. There may be a multitude of factors for this but I don't believe for one second that he's not got them in cause he isn't arsed about winning the league and I think it's ridiculous to suggest as such.

Yes because Monkhouse isn't the same player now Townsend has gone and Arnold is on a poor run of form and their replacement is basically very poor.

Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 10:27pm; Reply: 156
Why next week if he's been released?
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 1, 2016, 10:28pm; Reply: 157
There's not a ghost of a chance that henderson will sign

See what I did there
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 1, 2016, 10:28pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from barralad

I cannot make my mind up whether you are pot boiling or serious! What actual evidence is there that Hurst and co. have given up on the title/

Please read it again Barra - I  said it feels like it.

Obviously the manager has tried to make signings but he has failed. I don't accept the excuses about waiting for players and the rest of it and I don't just blame the manager for the perception. It's only fair to judge him at the end of the season.

That was my point. It's a club thing. Once again we look for all the world like the poor relations who can't afford that final investment. A big club? I always thought so and especially after OP last summer. But I should have known better. The club appears destined to continue trying to make silk purses. We have the best side on the park that we have had for several years. All it needed was a bit more quality and ......

I'll carry on supporting and offering my prayers to the football gods every match day but I really do think we needed to be more proactive.
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, February 1, 2016, 10:33pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from ginnywings
Why next week if he's been released?

Not sure, if his contract has been paid up I would of thought he could join straight way.  

UTM
Posted by: barralad, February 1, 2016, 10:45pm; Reply: 160

Please read it again Barra - I  said it feels like it.

Obviously the manager has tried to make signings but he has failed. I don't accept the excuses about waiting for players and the rest of it and I don't just blame the manager for the perception. It's only fair to judge him at the end of the season.

That was my point. It's a club thing. Once again we look for all the world like the poor relations who can't afford that final investment. A big club? I always thought so and especially after OP last summer. But I should have known better. The club appears destined to continue trying to make silk purses. We have the best side on the park that we have had for several years. All it needed was a bit more quality and ......

I'll carry on supporting and offering my prayers to the football gods every match day but I really do think we needed to be more proactive.

Fair play fella! Apologies for the misunderstanding...
Posted by: Tom13, February 1, 2016, 11:24pm; Reply: 161
I believe there's a week period between the transfer window closing and the loan and free agent window opening again, so that would explain why Henderson can't join just yet - we'd be able to agree terms with him, but the transfer would go through on the 8th (all of course dependent on if he is coming or not!).
Posted by: ginnywings, February 1, 2016, 11:28pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from Tom13
I believe there's a week period between the transfer window closing and the loan and free agent window opening again, so that would explain why Henderson can't join just yet - we'd be able to agree terms with him, but the transfer would go through on the 8th (all of course dependent on if he is coming or not!).

Suppose there is no rush as we don't have a league game 'til next week. We could have signed him today though, or am i missing something?
Posted by: Tom13, February 1, 2016, 11:30pm; Reply: 163
I think yeah we could've done, but presumably an agreement wasn't reached in time or whatever, maybe he was holding out for a better offer before committing to us (if he has) after the window shuts.
Posted by: acko338, February 2, 2016, 8:49am; Reply: 164
It would appear that there are still moves behind the scenes if the Darius Henderson rumour comes to any fruition.

if he is also able to pull a useful winger out of his magic hat by next week, perhaps the usual vitriol will be abated by our next league game.

DH could be the battering ram needed to be part of a Plan B for getting past the Gatesheads of this world.

Still need a wide delivery man as part of the service - Marshall not really showing previous form, and Monkhouse has no pace on the left side position, relying previously on Conor Townsend making him look better with overlaps and surging wing runs.

But, please, nobody remotely from any Macclesfield connections, we have proven we can kill the careers of those from that area - Jennings, Mackreth  - both not producing their Macclesfield form when here.

UTM - Next week at this time could be exciting.........??????????
Posted by: ivanosandwich, February 2, 2016, 9:03am; Reply: 165
If the Darius Henderson rumour is true then I would expect him to be training at Cheapside today with the rest of the squad.

He is a free agent and integrating him into the squad now and staying fit means he could go straight into the team next Tuesday.

I am not in the GY area, so all those camped at Millfields, hotfoot it down to Cheapside now.
Posted by: gtfc98, February 2, 2016, 9:20am; Reply: 166
Henderson would be a fantastic signing. I think he might be a little out of reach for us but if PH could pull it off it would be a master stroke. Might shut a few up on here too!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 2, 2016, 9:35am; Reply: 167
Might shut you up too going on about scott brown every five minutes and give you something else to focus on  ;)
Posted by: GyMariner, February 2, 2016, 9:46am; Reply: 168
Why would Henderson come here when both Forest and Sheff United
Fans would have him in an instant. Clearly too good for this league and way out of our reach
Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2016, 9:49am; Reply: 169
Quoted from acko338
It would appear that there are still moves behind the scenes if the Darius Henderson rumour comes to any fruition.

if he is also able to pull a useful winger out of his magic hat by next week, perhaps the usual vitriol will be abated by our next league game.

DH could be the battering ram needed to be part of a Plan B for getting past the Gatesheads of this world.

Still need a wide delivery man as part of the service - Marshall not really showing previous form, and Monkhouse has no pace on the left side position, relying previously on Conor Townsend making him look better with overlaps and surging wing runs.

But, please, nobody remotely from any Macclesfield connections, we have proven we can kill the careers of those from that area - Jennings, Mackreth  - both not producing their Macclesfield form when here.

UTM - Next week at this time could be exciting.........??????????

Sounds like the new lad can go some way to addressing that if previous fans are to be believed.
Posted by: bax, February 2, 2016, 9:50am; Reply: 170
Quoted from GyMariner
Fans would have him in an instant. Clearly too good for this league and way out of our reach

I think you might be thinking of a different Henderson?? Darius is 34, didn't score for Scunny in 16 games this season and their fans would happily drive him here!

I haven't seen him play recently so will, as always, reserve judgement until I have. But he's not going to be playing at Championship level again so I'm not sure you can say Forest 'would have him in an instant'.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2016, 9:55am; Reply: 171
Quoted from GyMariner

He's knocking on a bit and couldn't get in a struggling Scunny team, so i doubt teams of that calibre will be falling over themselves to sign him. Who knows what a player is looking for?

I have no idea if there are any truth in these rumours, so i'll wait and see like everyone else. Perhaps he's looking to wind down his career and knows he's not up to a higher grade of football any more. Perhaps he's looking to get into coaching and take his badges while still playing.
Posted by: gtfc98, February 2, 2016, 10:13am; Reply: 172
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Might shut you up too going on about scott brown every five minutes and give you something else to focus on  ;)

Scott who? ;D
Posted by: the driver, February 2, 2016, 10:30am; Reply: 173
Someone for Omar to watch and learn from?
Posted by: Garth, February 2, 2016, 11:22am; Reply: 174
Quoted from ginnywings

Suppose there is no rush as we don't have a league game 'til next week. We could have signed him today though, or am i missing something?

Yes, we would have to pay him an extra weeks wages😉
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, February 2, 2016, 1:07pm; Reply: 175
Been confirmed on twitter vose from wrexham turned us down to join scunts
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 2, 2016, 1:13pm; Reply: 176
Now that has gutted me tbh.

That would have been a tremendous signing.
Posted by: LH, February 2, 2016, 1:14pm; Reply: 177
Scunny's buy whoever Town want scouting network at it again. On deadline day they must sit on the M181 bridge and see who is coming past or something.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 2, 2016, 1:15pm; Reply: 178
Second match winner this month to turn us down in favour of scunny. I'm starting to loath them more and more.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 2, 2016, 1:16pm; Reply: 179
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Been confirmed on twitter vose from wrexham turned us down to join scunts

Not sure what to make of Vose. Sounds very good but there's always talk of his commitment and fading out of games....it's a big step up in leagues for him.
If it's too big a step of course then maybe he'll be out on loan soon enough ::)
Posted by: Chrisblor, February 2, 2016, 1:16pm; Reply: 180
I can't wait until their stupid unsustainable badly supported club go bust. male masturbators.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, February 2, 2016, 1:17pm; Reply: 181
I know but thats the lure of the football league for you, we are a bigger club but when were down here we are losing players to excrement
Posted by: Abdul19, February 2, 2016, 1:17pm; Reply: 182
Who's signing their players at the moment?
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 2, 2016, 1:20pm; Reply: 183
Not sure where Vose would fit in with us at the minute, good player though. As for Darius Henderson, surely with his pedigree he'll attract a league club.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), February 2, 2016, 1:21pm; Reply: 184
It would almost be worth never trying to sign another player just to f*** them up.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), February 2, 2016, 1:22pm; Reply: 185
I don't mean that obviously. A shame we were too late to start a bidding war for Richard Brodie though.
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, February 2, 2016, 1:23pm; Reply: 186
I've heard Richard Brodie is really good .... Hint hint Scunthorpe
Posted by: Hagrid, February 2, 2016, 1:33pm; Reply: 187
maybe some who were slating PH and the club yesterday may wanna take another look, trying for Vose is a real statement of intent but clearly league football beat us again!
Posted by: acko338, February 2, 2016, 1:34pm; Reply: 188
Do they just sign who we're keen on, then loan them back to us on a cheap rate, once they don't break into the team ??
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 2, 2016, 1:36pm; Reply: 189
Quoted from Hagrid
maybe some who were slating PH and the club yesterday may wanna take another look, trying for Vose is a real statement of intent but clearly league football beat us again!

No Hagrid, getting Vose would have been the statement of intent. Putting all the eggs in one basket wasn't.

Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2016, 1:40pm; Reply: 190
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Now that has gutted me tbh.

That would have been a tremendous signing.

You nearly got your wish Jonnyboy as you have been him mentioning for ages. It does show that the club is in the market for good players though, so there must be scope in the budget for them. The problem is getting them to come here obviously.

It's bad enough being in this league, but Scunthorpe currently being a better prospect than us is unbearable.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 2, 2016, 1:42pm; Reply: 191

No Hagrid, getting Vose would have been the statement of intent. Putting all the eggs in one basket wasn't.

fair point, but if a player wants league football then we are never going to win are we- I doubt we put all our eggs in one basket, just haven't been able to get the players we wanted clearly
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 2, 2016, 1:54pm; Reply: 192
Quoted from RoboCod

Not sure what to make of Vose. Sounds very good but there's always talk of his commitment and fading out of games....it's a big step up in leagues for him.
If it's too big a step of course then maybe he'll be out on loan soon enough ::)

Seems to be a mixed response on the Wrexham forum, one comment :-

"Sorry no sad loss for a player that turned up every 5th game and is not a team player and doesn't tackle... "

Were some on here basing their views on Vose after seeing his very good performance against us earlier this season. All I would say to that is "Jack Mackreth"
Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2016, 1:59pm; Reply: 193
Quoted from arryarryarry

Seems to be a mixed response on the Wrexham forum, one comment :-

"Sorry no sad loss for a player that turned up every 5th game and is not a team player and doesn't tackle... "

Were some on here basing their views on Vose after seeing his very good performance against us earlier this season. All I would say to that is "Jack Mackreth"

Yeah but he's been signed by Scunny who are a league1 club and recently been in the Championship. That tells me they know a bit more than we do at the moment, much as it pains me to say it.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 2, 2016, 2:08pm; Reply: 194
I think also john tondeur described vose as the best non league player he has commenated on when he played against us.
Posted by: Chrisblor, February 2, 2016, 2:11pm; Reply: 195
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah but he's been signed by Scunny who are a league1 club and recently been in the Championship. That tells me they know a bit more than we do at the moment, much as it pains me to say it.

Clutching at straws here but hopefully they've signed this year's Louie Soares and we've just dodged a bullet.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 2, 2016, 2:44pm; Reply: 196

Also Vose to Scunthorpe was one of the last deals of the day done so obviously made his decision very late leaving Hurst with next to no time getting anything done.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 2, 2016, 3:01pm; Reply: 197
Quoted from ginnywings

I appreciate that but that comment I showed wasn't the only one to suggest he wasn't that committed to the cause in some games.
Posted by: 97 (Guest), February 2, 2016, 3:11pm; Reply: 198
Interesting to hear the Wrexham viewpoint. Generally when a team do have a real gem, fans' comments tend to be unanimous.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 2, 2016, 3:21pm; Reply: 199
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Also Vose to Scunthorpe was one of the last deals of the day done so obviously made his decision very late leaving Hurst with next to no time getting anything done.

Very difficult I agree. Surely though Vose wasn't the only decent player who would have fitted the bill was he? That's what I mean about eggs & baskets. You have to wonder how we got ourselves into a position of relying on one lad to say yes.
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, February 2, 2016, 3:30pm; Reply: 200
Did we get ourselves into a position of relying on one lad to say yes?

Given Hurst' 's history with transfers I'm a little surprised anyone is trying claim they know what's been happening behind the scenes.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 2, 2016, 3:37pm; Reply: 201
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

Given Hurst' 's history with transfers I'm a little surprised anyone is trying claim they know what's been happening behind the scenes.

Well, clearly the answer is yes, self-evidently we did get ourselves into that position because nobody signed.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes. That's why I said "you have to wonder how ......"

Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, February 2, 2016, 4:15pm; Reply: 202

Well, clearly the answer is yes, self-evidently we did get ourselves into that position because nobody signed.

I don't know what went on behind the scenes. That's why I said "you have to wonder how ......"

I'd more than expect that we wasn't relying on the one lad to say yes and we had more than one target but with him signing so late and the reality of we're a conference club and people would have to drive down here to sign rather than getting a aeroplane into humberside airport probably prevented us from making any movements for other players. I'd expect us to make movements in the loan market though and a free agent ST to be coming through the door.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 2, 2016, 4:51pm; Reply: 203
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Vose saying he didn't want to leave Wrexham and had no interest in joining Town  -

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/dominic-vose-wanted-stay-wrexham-10826334?

Posted by: friskneymariner, February 2, 2016, 5:03pm; Reply: 204
Even though disappointed he was not interested its good to see we were in a position to put in a bid.Perhaps we can use the money on paying the wages of some top quality loanees.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 2, 2016, 5:04pm; Reply: 205
I believe hurst had 3 or 4 targets, with at least one players parent club demanding a fee and a loan query for an ex player.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2016, 5:15pm; Reply: 206
Shows how difficult it is to get quality players in. All done and dusted between the clubs but the player refuses. Would have been a much happier place on the Fishy if he'd just said yes.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 2, 2016, 5:15pm; Reply: 207
There's no winning for Hurst in this situation really. He's clearly done what many wanted and gone after player(s) that will improve the team and not just make up numbers, but has been unlucky in missing out. In our situation, there was always a high possibility that such players would be hard to persuade to come to grimsby, as has been shown with the vose situation. If however he hadn't done this and had settled for 'that will do' quality players, therefore ensuring we had more numbers, he would have been moaned at for not being ambitious enough.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 2, 2016, 5:19pm; Reply: 208
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

No, we already signed 2 midfielders, so not relying on getting him at all. Hurst probably took a punt on getting him as a long shot but lost out to a league club
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 2, 2016, 5:22pm; Reply: 209
Quoted from ginnywings
Shows how difficult it is to get quality players in. All done and dusted between the clubs but the player refuses. Would have been a much happier place on the Fishy if he'd just said yes.

He didn't want to come so we're better off without him and the Fishy will be a much better place when it understands that. Reading his interview, he's clearly a bit of a loose cannon as is his agent.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 2, 2016, 5:32pm; Reply: 210
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He didn't want to come so we're better off without him and the Fishy will be a much better place when it understands that. Reading his interview, he's clearly a bit of a loose cannon as is his agent.

Well I heard a different story,,

Vose was being driven by his agent to sign for Town,

They got delayed on the motorway and could not reach Grimsby in time to sign,

So they pulled off at Scunny and signed for them just before the deadline expired . ;)
Posted by: psgmariner, February 2, 2016, 5:34pm; Reply: 211
Apparently we had a bid accepted for Freddie Ladapo but he didn't want to move.
Posted by: SpudUDontLike, February 2, 2016, 5:35pm; Reply: 212
I'm interested to read in the photo caption that he actually played against us on Tuesday night. No wonder he's been feeling confused and unsettled, poor lad.
Posted by: Chrisblor, February 2, 2016, 5:39pm; Reply: 213
Rather unprofessional of Vose to gob off about the machinations of his transfer like that. We're better without characters like that in our squad imo.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 2, 2016, 5:41pm; Reply: 214
Quoted from Chrisblor
Rather unprofessional of Vose to gob off about the machinations of his transfer like that. We're better without characters like that in our squad imo.

I agree, the same applies to Scott brown!
Posted by: Grimal, February 2, 2016, 5:49pm; Reply: 215
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Vose say's in his interview " he is in a happy place now"  Does he realize it's not his old club West Ham but the Iron down the M181.  ;D.
UTM.

Posted by: grimsby pete, February 2, 2016, 5:51pm; Reply: 216
Quoted from Chrisblor

Agree we can stick it to him next season when he comes to the park with Scunny,

To play us in L2. ;D
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 2, 2016, 5:52pm; Reply: 217
At least we don't have to play against him later in the season.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2016, 5:59pm; Reply: 218
Quoted from psgmariner
Apparently we had a bid accepted for Freddie Ladapo but he didn't want to move.

Seems to be a recurring theme but Margate is such a nice seaside resort.  :D
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 2, 2016, 6:02pm; Reply: 219

I agree, the same applies to Scott brown!

Agree. Browns tweet was poor And anyone who was unprofessional in slagging Brown off to the telegraph.  Unprofessional behaviour all around !!
Posted by: psgmariner, February 2, 2016, 6:06pm; Reply: 220
Quoted from ginnywings

Seems to be a recurring theme but Margate is such a nice seaside resort.  :D

Essex boy so not surprised he was wary about the move if true. Would have been an ambitious step up for him though. 6ft 2 and a half decent goal scoring record...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 2, 2016, 7:40pm; Reply: 221
Quoted from Grimal

Vose say's in his interview " he is in a happy place now"  Does he realize it's not his old club West Ham but the Iron down the M181.  ;D.
UTM.

Could have been worse. Could have been Braintree.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 2, 2016, 8:15pm; Reply: 222
I always said vose was excrement anyway.
Posted by: chaos33, February 2, 2016, 8:18pm; Reply: 223
I thought he sounded thick. Glad we didn't sign him. He's useless.  :)
Posted by: Garth, February 2, 2016, 8:48pm; Reply: 224
Quoted from jonnyboy82
I always said vose was excrement anyway.

Me too  ;)

Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, February 2, 2016, 10:31pm; Reply: 225
Heard from a pal who has close links with Carlisle United that Eastleigh made a substantial bid to Carlisle yesterday for centre forward and top scorer Jabo Inherent. The bid was turned down but demonstrates that they are pushing the boat out this year to get into the FL.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 2, 2016, 10:36pm; Reply: 226
They also bid for billy kee. Serious money at that club
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, February 2, 2016, 10:40pm; Reply: 227
Really? They must have some serious backers as their crowds are not that big.

I heard that they have submitted planning permission for a 9,000 capacity stadium costing £10 million! Surely they do not have the support to fund that.

UTM
Posted by: gaz57, February 2, 2016, 10:57pm; Reply: 228
Quoted from Cumbrian Mariner
Really? They must have some serious backers as their crowds are not that big.

I heard that they have submitted planning permission for a 9,000 capacity stadium costing £10 million! Surely they do not have the support to fund that.

UTM

9,000 they must be hoping to play us every other week.  ;)
Posted by: Meza, February 3, 2016, 12:13am; Reply: 229
both Eastleigh and FGR will probably get stung by the FFP when they get into the FL but i think, and i'm not 100% sure on this, but they might have a few years in order to expand the stadium, as on current attendances, there budget would probably get slashed.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 3, 2016, 2:53am; Reply: 230
No doubt Ecowhatsit will rent offices inside the stadium for £3m a year.
Posted by: Maringer, February 3, 2016, 10:03am; Reply: 231
Quoted from Meza
both Eastleigh and FGR will probably get stung by the FFP when they get into the FL but i think, and i'm not 100% sure on this, but they might have a few years in order to expand the stadium, as on current attendances, there budget would probably get slashed.

Doesn't matter whether they expand their stadia or not - they won't expand their following enough to make their expenditure affordable.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, February 3, 2016, 10:09am; Reply: 232
Quoted from Chrisblor

Exactly!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 3, 2016, 10:24am; Reply: 233
Everyone knows down this way that dale vince should've bought Gloucester city instead of vegemite fc
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 5, 2016, 11:26am; Reply: 234
Darius Henderson signed for Coventry today 😫 Nevermind
Posted by: Garth, February 5, 2016, 11:58am; Reply: 235
Always a pipe dream IMO
Posted by: Tinymariner, February 8, 2016, 12:09pm; Reply: 236
Any news
Posted by: oldun, February 8, 2016, 12:12pm; Reply: 237
The news is, there is no news!
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 8, 2016, 12:13pm; Reply: 238
Nobody before Bromley according to Twitter
Posted by: jonnyboy82, February 8, 2016, 12:26pm; Reply: 239
Dissapointing going into the most important time of the season we are still at least a couple players short.

Buisness should have been done.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 8, 2016, 12:31pm; Reply: 240
If "the news is, there is no news"..................this is not news as we did not expect any news on new signings.  (Wearing my cynical hat).
Posted by: gtfc98, February 8, 2016, 12:46pm; Reply: 241
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Dissapointing going into the most important time of the season we are still at least a couple players short.

Buisness should have been done.

I see your point but surely we wait until they'd be eligible for the playoffs seeing as though it looks increasingly likely that's where we'll end up?
Posted by: Abdul19, February 8, 2016, 12:49pm; Reply: 242
Quoted from gtfc98

I see your point but surely we wait until they'd be eligible for the playoffs seeing as though it looks increasingly likely that's where we'll end up?

That's what I was thinking. Just before the Boreham Wood game at the earliest.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, February 8, 2016, 1:11pm; Reply: 243
Think it could still be another 4-6 weeks if we are to use the 93 day emergency loan to include the play-off final and FATfinal
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 8, 2016, 1:20pm; Reply: 244
Think it could still be another 4-6 weeks if we are to use the 93 day emergency loan to include the play-off final and FATfinal

Sod the Trophy final, season ends on Play-off final day for me.
Posted by: thevera, February 8, 2016, 1:22pm; Reply: 245
I can't imagine we would wait to be within 93 days of the FAT final I doubt any player concerned would be happy to wait another 4-6 weeks either.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 8, 2016, 1:24pm; Reply: 246

Just did the maths on my calendar, to be precise it'll be from Thursday onwards for the play off final
Posted by: acko338, February 8, 2016, 1:26pm; Reply: 247
Bedlam on here on Friday, then ???
Posted by: ROKERITE, February 8, 2016, 1:28pm; Reply: 248
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Sod the Trophy final, season ends on Play-off final day for me.

I'm still hoping it ends on Saturday, 30th April when Grimsby Town clinch the title and automatic promotion with victory at Tranmere Rovers; though that's increasingly hope over expectation, and victory in The Play-Off Final will certainly do nicely.

Posted by: Abdul19, February 8, 2016, 1:56pm; Reply: 249

Just did the math on my calendar, to be precise it'll be from Thursday onwards for the play off final

Yep, before the Boreham Wood game!
Posted by: Biccys, February 8, 2016, 3:06pm; Reply: 250

Just did the math on my calendar, to be precise it'll be from Thursday onwards for the play off final

MathS
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 8, 2016, 4:10pm; Reply: 251
Quoted from Biccys

MathS

Edited my post for those who I offended.
Posted by: acko338, February 8, 2016, 6:46pm; Reply: 252
No sense of imminent signings when in the shop today, even with a couple of pertinent questions being asked by shoppers.
Posted by: Meza, February 8, 2016, 7:04pm; Reply: 253
I'm sure someone posted in the match tread a new signing would be today or imminent lol
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 9:03pm