Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 75 Guests

Signings

This thread currently has 40,752 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Garth
February 1, 2016, 8:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
When can free agent players sign?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 253
jonnyboy82
February 1, 2016, 8:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from acko338
It makes me laugh every transfer day when fans on here DEMAND that players will come and play here.

We are down here for a reason - we weren't good enough several seasons ago.

We were exceptionally lucky to give Conor Townsend his showcase in this window and he took it well, giving the team a confident look and well balanced.

We don't score from corners and struggle to find wingers who can cross consistently.

It's hard to keep fringe players happy, so those playing now would probably whinge if replaced at this point of the season.

Who on here would want Hurst's job  certainly not me !

He does well with selling the area as it is, holding the payments to players so as not to break any limits in place, and has significantly improved his interview technique this year.

Good players know their worth - managers sending loan players out want to see them playing every game regardless of form, these are the problems that we face with new and loan players every year.

There will be a list of players released today, and that is where Hurst will look, I'm sure.

I will take hurst's job ta then give podge an extension , find a player who can take a corner and then tell fenty to give me a cushty bit of that cash left over from operation promotion to splurge on the players we really need to make us a force not a nearly team yet again.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 253
grimsby pete
February 1, 2016, 8:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,839
Gold Stars: 222
Sods law says, we have not made any exciting signings so we will win the league,

Unlike other seasons when we made exciting signings and did not gain promotion,

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 253
the driver
February 1, 2016, 8:33pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +127
To the old codger I am a fan and I will be there for my season ticket the day they go on sale will you I think not !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 253
LocalLadGTFC
February 1, 2016, 8:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 141
Quoted from Garth

Available to sign until March mate, that's when the deadline shuts for free agents.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 124 - 253
ginnywings
February 1, 2016, 8:34pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Garth

At any time. They have no contract so it is not a transfer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 253
HertsGTFC
February 1, 2016, 8:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,042
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from ginnywings

At any time. They have no contract so it is not a transfer.

But you would question their match fitness as time kicks on.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 253
ginnywings
February 1, 2016, 8:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Chrisblor

Yeah, if we want to win the league it isn't good enough. So far it's been good enough to get us to 3rd place, and Townsend was a significant contributor to our recent impressive run of form. Since his last game for us we've smashed Altrincham and Welling (as you'd expect us to do), but we've been awful and devoid of attacking ideas against Guiseley and Gateshead.

It's only a small sample, but we've achieved 1.75 points per game over our last 4 games since Townsend left. Sure, that might be enough to cement a playoff place, but I expected us to make some impressive signings with the Operation Promotion money and really go for Cheltenham and Forest Green during this transfer window. That hasn't happened and it now looks like we're settling for the playoffs which is a huge disappointment for me.

I agree and i also agree that we need more players, preferably better than the ones we have but i'm trying to look at it realistically. How do we know there is any money there? Operation promotion money may already be gone; i have no idea. Are the players there for us and do they want to come here? Do you go for less players with more quality at the start of the season and hope you have enough cover, or do you sign a bigger squad with less ability to cover all bases? It must be a nightmare balancing act and one which i would not envy. People keep saying that Cheltenham and VGR have added quality early but maybe, just maybe they have more to offer than we do. I don't like it, in fact i hate it as much as the next fan but there it is. All the teams around us have bigger budgets and that is a fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 253
MuddyWaters
February 1, 2016, 8:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from the driver
To the old codger I am a fan and I will be there for my season ticket the day they go on sale will you I think not !

Good for you!
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 253
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 1, 2016, 8:51pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree and i also agree that we need more players, preferably better than the ones we have but i'm trying to look at it realistically. How do we know there is any money there? Operation promotion money may already be gone; i have no idea. Are the players there for us and do they want to come here? Do you go for less players with more quality at the start of the season and hope you have enough cover, or do you sign a bigger squad with less ability to cover all bases? It must be a nightmare balancing act and one which i would not envy. People keep saying that Cheltenham and VGR have added quality early but maybe, just maybe they have more to offer than we do. I don't like it, in fact i hate it as much as the next fan but there it is. All the teams around us have bigger budgets and that is a fact.

It may be a fact Ginny but it feels to a lot of us that the management has given up on the title without a fight. That's what rankles when you look at the support this club has compared with the top two. It's a real let down. Confidence has been well and truly dented. Those away fans especially deserve better.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 253
26 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.