8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
January 31, 2016, 11:12am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
We are still on a good run, yes we had a poor start to the season with too many draws,

BUT

Its not over by a long chalk, Cheltenham and FGR will lose games,

We are SUPPORTERS and we need to get behind the team during hard times as well as good,

I have seen Chelsea, Man Utd , Liverpool play complete rubbish in many games this season,

Not to mention Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa,

So lets forget this little blip and move on,

WE ARE TOWN !!!!!!

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner Ronnie
January 31, 2016, 11:13am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Agree

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 70
MuddyWaters
January 31, 2016, 11:29am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,291
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from grimsby pete
We are still on a good run, yes we had a poor start to the season with too many draws,

BUT

Its not over by a long chalk, Cheltenham and FGR will lose games,

We are SUPPORTERS and we need to get behind the team during hard times as well as good,

I have seen Chelsea, Man Utd , Liverpool play complete rubbish in many games this season,

Not to mention Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa,

So lets forget this little blip and move on,

WE ARE TOWN !!!!!!

Let's calm down says the man who wanted Fenty to pull the plug on Paul Hurst three months ago.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 70
grimsby pete
January 31, 2016, 11:50am

Exile
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Let's calm down says the man who wanted Fenty to pull the plug on Paul Hurst three months ago.

OK you win we are crap,

Hurst does not have a clue,

Fenty is to blame for everything although he has put millions in,

We are stuck down here and will remain,

Until Old Codger takes over with a few of the other posters on here who think they can do better,

What will it be like if we lost 3 or 4 games on the trot,

We have just lost one games in the last ten,

FFS

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 70
MuddyWaters
January 31, 2016, 12:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

OK you win we are crap,

Hurst does not have a clue,

Fenty is to blame for everything although he has put millions in,

We are stuck down here and will remain,

Until Old Codger takes over with a few of the other posters on here who think they can do better,

What will it be like if we lost 3 or 4 games on the trot,

We have just lost one games in the last ten,

FFS

Pete, don't get your knickers in a twist. We've just lost further ground on the one automatic promotion place, lost four squad players in a week (Sunter, Venney, Brown, Mackreth), not turned up in a first half (again!) and we're running out of time and ideas to recruit new players in. With a fair wind, we should find ourselves in the play-offs again. We are the best supported club in this league but we're not the best team nor have we got the best manager or the best budget.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 70
jonnyboy82
January 31, 2016, 12:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Copy and paste for the past 3 seasons.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 70
AdamHaddock
January 31, 2016, 12:33pm

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,842
Gold Stars: 26
Was hoping for a bit of Harry Enfield when I saw the title

[img]https://images.app.goo.gl/bymuz36koLHofSn79[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 70
LookBackInAngers
January 31, 2016, 12:42pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +93
It was one defeat BUT it was the nature of that defeat that makes you realise even the play -offs will require a big improvement.Gateshead offered little but on the day it was enough.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 70
Madeleymariner
January 31, 2016, 5:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,074
Gold Stars: 52
I am calm, I expect we will finish 3rd or 4th in the league so not getting excited at all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 70
Mrs Doyle
January 31, 2016, 6:36pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Like it or not our expectations were far above what realistically was always going to be a tough task.

The money we raised was phenomenal but against a millionaire chairman who is willing put plough more cash in despite being millions in debt it is a drop in the ocean.

Money talks and much as you would like to think a player would love to play in front of thousands of fanatical fans the truth is most want money.

For whatever reason money, the area, ect Hurst's targets seem out of reach he as probably been told to offload players to free up cash. Anybody thinking he still as money from operation promotion is dreaming bet that money as well gone along with the mullins cash.

If offloading Veney,Brown and mackreth means we get one good player in so be it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 70
Davec
January 31, 2016, 6:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Andy Carr aka Mighty Mariner is saying on Facebook that our budget for this season was only the 7th/8th highest
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 70
arryarryarry
January 31, 2016, 6:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Like it or not our expectations were far above what realistically was always going to be a tough task.

The money we raised was phenomenal but against a millionaire chairman who is willing put plough more cash in despite being millions in debt it is a drop in the ocean.

Money talks and much as you would like to think a player would love to play in front of thousands of fanatical fans the truth is most want money.

For whatever reason money, the area, ect Hurst's targets seem out of reach he as probably been told to offload players to free up cash. Anybody thinking he still as money from operation promotion is dreaming bet that money as well gone along with the mullins cash.

If offloading Veney,Brown and mackreth means we get one good player in so be it.

Well there has probably been a load of ballocks from both the pro and anti Hurst lot on here but congratulations that has to be the biggest load of ballocks yet.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 70
chaos33
January 31, 2016, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
I agree

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 70
Mrs Doyle
January 31, 2016, 6:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Lol about as much bollix as you two spout try supporting your team manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 70
MuddyWaters
January 31, 2016, 6:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Lol about as much bollix as you two spout try supporting your team manager.

I support the manager - not sure that I support the way the club is run though. In fact, no, I don't support the way the club has been run at all.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 70
jonnyboy82
January 31, 2016, 7:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Well why the fvck did i and many others donate to a fund called operation promotion if that target was unrealistic as you say ?

If you say grimsby town getting out of non league football is not realistic then i would give up football completely.

Get a grip.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 70
Teestogreen
January 31, 2016, 7:12pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -163
Gold Stars: 23
Looks to me like;

1 -  the lack of reserve left back position has massively weakened us (given that most of the play revolved around Townsend) - and more latterly, Robertson has again proved capable and reliable in that position

2  - Brown and Mackreth release has deprived us of a strength in depth - players who were an important part of the team strategy in obtaining the desired results

Being able to re-act to these team 'weakenings' in the short timescale required is not an easy situation and the rest of the team will be very aware of this. This is where the motivational strengths of the management team will be tested to the full.

However, if Forest Green Rovers and Cheltenham keep beating teams ready to roll over (however late), then the dice is more heavily loaded against an outright top place promotion.

Paul and Chris can still do this but the test has become even more stringent.

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 70
Garth
January 31, 2016, 7:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,939
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from LookBackInAngers
It was one defeat BUT it was the nature of that defeat that makes you realise even the play -offs will require a big improvement.Gateshead offered little but on the day it was enough.UTM

Amen to that, caught cold early and struggled uncharacteristically to score an equaliser. as PH said there was nothing between the two teams on the dayand from the highlights I would say we were the better side without finding the net, onwards and upwards lets see what this week brings  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 70
marinerjase
January 31, 2016, 8:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,712
Gold Stars: 156
Townsend was a huge loss, not only defensively but moreso going forward. He was pivotal in everything we did for a few weeks. It was Grimsby Townsend for a bit, credit to him for dropping down to our level and helping us (and him)  - but being brutally honest it's nigh on impossible to replace him.  That, in my eyes, takes so much away from us.

Having said that..really don't understand all the negativity. Yes it looks like Play Offs again, but we've had a blip after a decent run - possibly at the right time. Now effectively we're gearing up to consolidate play offs, which you'd assume is guaranteed, whilst the two in front battle for title. Pressure is on them now not us..still feel we've a lot to come in terms of a performance, just need to keep Amond fit, get cover in defence and start again. Some players can improve, notably Marshall who I have never been convinced about, hopefully a player in to boost us and look forward.

I honestly feel we will go up, are equipped for Play offs if need be and the past experience and last year will serve us well. There isn't a Bristol Rovers  this time, in fact I've seen nothing to overly worry about from anyone else. I know one thing, no-one will want to play us.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 70
ackomariner
January 31, 2016, 8:34pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

I give up.........🚕 for Doyle

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 70
barralad
January 31, 2016, 8:37pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Normally I reckon we're on the same wavelength but I can't agree with a lot of this. I don't think the majority of fans had expectations that were that far from being completely realistic. I don't like this idea that somehow money is the be all and end all. My expectations of going up (which are still only partially dimished) was based as much on the fact that we kept the manager who had got us so close AND more importantly the vast majority of the squad that got us to within a penalty kick of promotion. There are two promotion places available and I cannot think of a single reason why we shouldn't be in with as good a chance via the play offs as any other team up there. The signing of Amond (and his performances even in pre-season) reinforced that view. If it were just about the millions VGR and Eastleigh would already be fighting it out in League Two or above.
Shaun Pearson is just one example (apparently) of someone for whom money isn't the be all and end all.
Final point:- What makes you so sure there is no Operation Promotion money still in the coffers? Before Christmas the club made it clear that there is money available. You may be right that it isn't enough but that is a whole different argument

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
golfer
January 31, 2016, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
The expectations of the fans is that every player gives there all for the town.One player who definitely does this is Craig Clay.He was one of the first players to sign this season because he WANTS to play for the town.At the start of the season he was the one dropped for Hursts blue eyed boy  Robinson who couldnt knock the skin off a rice pudding and we all know of the bad spell this brought I hope history doesn"t repeat itself with the changing of a5-0 winning team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
ginnywings
January 31, 2016, 11:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
I think Pete is right. It is what it is and getting all het up about it won't change a thing. The only thing we can do now is go out and win as many games as we can until the end of the season and see where the chips fall. Where there's life, there's hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
Brisbane Mariner
February 1, 2016, 1:23am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
You'd think we were totally dead and buried judging by the reaction on here - I think that we are still in with a chance - 17 games to go - anything can happen - we just need to get back on the winning way and hope that a few other playoff hopefuls repel the charge of the top two whilst we do our bit. A decent signing by the close of the window would also be a huge lift! UTM

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 70
Grimsby2012
February 1, 2016, 3:13am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,464
Gold Stars: 22
People's expectation before Gateshead game " We can definitely win the title, we have some of the best players in the conference"

Expectations after Gateshead game "I always said we would only get in the playoffs, we haven't get the best set of players in the league"

...... This is why I stay away more from the fishy when we lose for the first time in ages.... apparently we are not good enough now compared to a week ago..

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
A.l.f.
February 1, 2016, 7:25am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
We had an off day in bad conditions.  These things happen from time to time as anyone who has played football knows.  Forget it, move on and let see if we can go on another run, but most of all let's support the club.  Thats the only thing we can do to try and make a difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
barralad
February 1, 2016, 10:17am
Mariners Trust
Quoted from golfer
The expectations of the fans is that every player gives there all for the town.One player who definitely does this is Craig Clay.He was one of the first players to sign this season because he WANTS to play for the town.At the start of the season he was the one dropped for Hursts blue eyed boy  Robinson who couldnt knock the skin off a rice pudding and we all know of the bad spell this brought I hope history doesn"t repeat itself with the changing of a5-0 winning team.

Tiresome though it may be for you I'm afraid I cannot help pointing out that actually Clay wasn't "dropped" for footballing reasons. He had off the field problems which were recognised by both the player and the manager and came back stronger.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
ginnywings
February 1, 2016, 12:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Grimsby2012
People's expectation before Gateshead game " We can definitely win the title, we have some of the best players in the conference"

Expectations after Gateshead game "I always said we would only get in the playoffs, we haven't get the best set of players in the league"

...... This is why I stay away more from the fishy when we lose for the first time in ages.... apparently we are not good enough now compared to a week ago..

I get your gist but it's not as straight forward as that. Plenty on here have had their doubts that we were good enough to win the title, although it's difficult to openly express that view because of the cries of negativity and not being a "real fan". I have certainly had my doubts from fairly early on because again, as in other seasons, we simply draw too many games. My hope was that we would go on a great run (which we did) and that the others would tail off a bit (which they didn't). Expressing that view earlier in the season led to much derision and accusations of negativity, while expressing that view now leads to accusations of smugness and an "i told you so" attitude. Neither is true as it's all just opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2016, 12:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Ginny, couldn't have put it better myself.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
LongEatonMariner
February 2, 2016, 10:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from golfer

Whose going to start the "golfer " is to Craig Clay what "Calamari Kid" is to Scott Brown? 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
Hagrid
February 2, 2016, 10:15pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,530
Gold Stars: 544
Been angry and upset since saturdays game but Morecambes GK scoring a 93rd minute equaliser to net me 250 quid has boosted me right back up! utm ( but its still gonna be the play offs for us)!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 70
ginnywings
February 2, 2016, 10:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from LongEatonMariner

Whose going to start the "golfer " is to Craig Clay what "Calamari Kid" is to Scott Brown? 😂

You by the look of it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 70
golfer
February 3, 2016, 8:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Stop picking on my great great great great grandson you young whippersnapper
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 70
acko338
February 3, 2016, 8:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,213
Gold Stars: 33
Mad off the wall theory - after historically failing in the play offs and subsequent disappointments for all concerned, has Hurst now got the idea of making the side capable of winning promotion via three vital playoff games, because as good as our run has been, both of the top teams are still several points in front, even if we win games in hand?

The two TV games will both disadvantage Town with travel, and lack of rest in between games, so the League and BT are not assisting us in any way.

Hurst has the time between now and the playoff period to prop up his side to steel themselves into a position that will push them over the line. It's not just a numbers game - it's the enhancement of strength throughout the team in case of illness, injuries, or late suspensions so that we have competitors for all positions.

No one should give up on automatic promotion, but two teams would have to be failing at the same time as well as Town re-producing our recent winning run - that seems slightly far fetched considering their history for this season.

I also guess that they both have bigger budgets to move if things start to go wrong in the next couple of months.

I believe that we need an experienced winger who can send in crosses and corners accurately, and the fans all need to know if Henderson and Nolan would make good long term replacements for Diz and Clay if either get injured.

The important thing is to maintain the third spot and keep those below at bay by getting back to a great winning run again..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 70
Davec
February 3, 2016, 8:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Spot on Ginny

Trouble is on this forum if you dare to have an opinion others don't agree with you get shot down in flames, Mrs Doyle doesn't like people having opinions that differ to her own, I recall after the Guiseley game she started calling people who had a different opinion to hers "clueless" at one point she used the word "pathetic"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 70
arryarryarry
February 3, 2016, 9:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Grimsby2012

Not quite sure if you are an irregular visitor to here but I think you may find that not everyone thought we could win the title before the Gateshead game.

There are still a few of us who aren't convinced that PH has got what it takes to get us up and I would dearly love to be proved wrong.

The problem with last Saturday's match was when it came to the crunch and we had a poor game we lost whereas both Cheltenham and FGR have had a couple of poor games recently  and still managed to win.

As others have mentioned we are now having to rely on two teams going on bad runs and us having a storming run. This could still happen we all hope but is unlikely.
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 70
ackomariner
February 3, 2016, 9:34am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Davec
Spot on Ginny

Trouble is on this forum if you dare to have an opinion others don't agree with you get shot down in flames, Mrs Doyle doesn't like people having opinions that differ to her own, I recall after the Guiseley game she started calling people who had a different opinion to hers "clueless" at one point she used the word "pathetic"

With a few swear words thrown in most probably  

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 70
big al
February 3, 2016, 9:56am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from acko338
Mad off the wall theory - after historically failing in the play offs and subsequent disappointments for all concerned, has Hurst now got the idea of making the side capable of winning promotion via three vital playoff games, because as good as our run has been, both of the top teams are still several points in front, even if we win games in hand?

The two TV games will both disadvantage Town with travel, and lack of rest in between games, so the League and BT are not assisting us in any way.

Hurst has the time between now and the playoff period to prop up his side to steel themselves into a position that will push them over the line. It's not just a numbers game - it's the enhancement of strength throughout the team in case of illness, injuries, or late suspensions so that we have competitors for all positions.

No one should give up on automatic promotion, but two teams would have to be failing at the same time as well as Town re-producing our recent winning run - that seems slightly far fetched considering their history for this season.

I also guess that they both have bigger budgets to move if things start to go wrong in the next couple of months.

I believe that we need an experienced winger who can send in crosses and corners accurately, and the fans all need to know if Henderson and Nolan would make good long term replacements for Diz and Clay if either get injured.

The important thing is to maintain the third spot and keep those below at bay by getting back to a great winning run again..

I am eternally optimistic about us being champions still but any fool can see that the maths of the situation will finally go against us. I don't believe we are anywhere near that at present. Still believe that CTFC and FGR can experience their own banana skins or 'mini-meltdowns' that might enable us to take them both on the outside rail but I also recognise it's increasingly, a bit of a long shot.

With all this in mind, I guess you would expect Hurst to be planning for the play-offs already although I hope he hasn't given up on us being champions just yet. He has a difficult job and has to hedge his bets. Being realistic I think most Town fans can only see promotion happening through the play-offs now. What I don't share is the baffling pessimism of some about our chances. If we finish top 5 we will be the bookies favourites and the team that no one wants to play before a potential final. There is no play-off jinx. Last year we were one penalty away from League 2 and were unlucky on the day.

We are a better team than CTFC, FGR or any other for that matter just not as consistent or as good at grinding out certain results. The only 'fly in the ointment' for me would be Tranmere securing a top 5 place along side us - that would worry me in what is always the partial lottery of the play-offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 70
Davec
February 3, 2016, 9:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Yes Ackomariner, there were a few swear words thrown in, I thought she was Mrs Brown for a moment

If Mrs Doyle doesn't like people having different opinions then what is he or she doing on the forum
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 70
grimsby pete
February 3, 2016, 10:22am

Exile
The problem is we are the big fish in this league,

The conference and BT doe not want us to leave,

So they are making it as hard as possible for us to get promotion,

BUT

We are Town !   we will do it one way or the other.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 70
Garth
February 3, 2016, 10:44am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,939
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

Part of a small shoal I would say headed by Tranmere,  and I would include attendance v poor performance wise Lincoln in that shoal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
arryarryarry
February 3, 2016, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from big al

I am eternally optimistic about us being champions still but any fool can see that the maths of the situation will finally go against us. I don't believe we are anywhere near that at present. Still believe that CTFC and FGR can experience their own banana skins or 'mini-meltdowns' that might enable us to take them both on the outside rail but I also recognise it's increasingly, a bit of a long shot.

With all this in mind, I guess you would expect Hurst to be planning for the play-offs already although I hope he hasn't given up on us being champions just yet. He has a difficult job and has to hedge his bets. Being realistic I think most Town fans can only see promotion happening through the play-offs now. What I don't share is the baffling pessimism of some about our chances. If we finish top 5 we will be the bookies favourites and the team that no one wants to play before a potential final. There is no play-off jinx. Last year we were one penalty away from League 2 and were unlucky on the day.

We are a better team than CTFC, FGR or any other for that matter just not as consistent or as good at grinding out certain results. The only 'fly in the ointment' for me would be Tranmere securing a top 5 place along side us - that would worry me in what is always the partial lottery of the play-offs.

Wouldn't the team that finished second or was on the best run of form be favourites?

Not according to the current league table.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
big al
February 3, 2016, 11:03am
Snakebite drinker
Fair point AAA but I just think that head to head we can and probably will beat anyone and the bookies will think the same. Still think we will finish 2nd. One of the top two is going to slip up but probably not both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
grimsby pete
February 3, 2016, 11:08am

Exile
Quoted from big al
Fair point AAA but I just think that head to head we can and probably will beat anyone and the bookies will think the same. Still think we will finish 2nd. One of the top two is going to slip up but probably not both.

I tend to agree but I am hoping they both get the jitters,

Out of the two I would rather play FGR at Wembley,

I can remember Cardiff.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
Grimal
February 3, 2016, 11:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,878
Gold Stars: 9
I know we shouldn't rely on other teams dropping points but I think the top two could drop points this saturday, Barrow seem to have found a bit of form and Wrexham is always a difficult away fixture. All we can do is win our own games and see where we are come end of April.
UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
big al
February 3, 2016, 11:20am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

I tend to agree but I am hoping they both get the jitters,

Out of the two I would rather play FGR at Wembley,

I can remember Cardiff.

The CTFC game at BP suggested to me that they are an efficient team rather than an inspiring one. They know how to win or at least have a manager who does. Would also prefer FGR at Wembley. Would be decidedly worried if we end up playing Tranmere - don't believe in silly fate etc but I think that was a part of our undoing last year - BR were the 'bigger team' and that helped them I believe. Let's get a Dover or Eastleigh in May and it could be a goal fest.

It's all just wishful thinking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
Abdul19
February 3, 2016, 11:35am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Brabin's lost more playoff finals than PH, I wouldn't mind playing Tranmere! I see what you mean about Bristol R being the bigger team, but they were also the better team (as in they got more points). I don't think Tranny will be as strong. Again though, wishful thinking!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
arryarryarry
February 3, 2016, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from big al

Let's hope we finish top, but unlikely.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
grimps
February 3, 2016, 1:10pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,178
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from acko338

I remember us saying last season that we will beat Bristol because they had been going hell for leather for the title and we'd be able to rest players ect in the run up to the end of the season.
It never worked out like that although it was close

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
barralad
February 3, 2016, 5:02pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Davec
Yes Ackomariner, there were a few swear words thrown in, I thought she was Mrs Brown for a moment

If Mrs Doyle doesn't like people having different opinions then what is he or she doing on the forum

Not quite sure why a single poster (who by the way is probably male) is being singled out. Abuse tends to flow from both sides of the debate at times

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
ginnywings
February 3, 2016, 7:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Couple of points- we are not the best side in the league according to the table and we have only beaten 1 of the top 5 so far and that was Eastleigh, who we always beat.

Point 2- we were not one penalty kick away from League 2.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 70
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2016, 9:48pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Couple of points- we are not the best side in the league according to the table and we have only beaten 1 of the top 5 so far and that was Eastleigh, who we always beat.

Point 2- we were not one penalty kick away from League 2.  

Quite. At the very least two.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 70
KingstonMariner
February 3, 2016, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from big al

The CTFC game at BP suggested to me that they are an efficient team rather than an inspiring one. They know how to win or at least have a manager who does. Would also prefer FGR at Wembley. Would be decidedly worried if we end up playing Tranmere - don't believe in silly fate etc but I think that was a part of our undoing last year - BR were the 'bigger team' and that helped them I believe. Let's get a Dover or Eastleigh in May and it could be a goal fest.

It's all just wishful thinking.

You don't need to be inspiring. You just need to win and keep on winning. And to be fair to Cheltenham, they racked up as many goals against Halifax as us. Away.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 70
big al
February 4, 2016, 10:43am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

You don't need to be inspiring. You just need to win and keep on winning. And to be fair to Cheltenham, they racked up as many goals against Halifax as us. Away.

I would rather support Town (as they play now) than CTFC, however successful they might be. Allow me the privilege of believing that my football team do need to be inspiring - for me they do. I'm very glad that we have had many managers who believe in playing football a certain way - how it should be played. Think PH is one of them. It isn't just about winning at any cost. Never has been.

Don't like the way people on here dismiss your opinion outright. I realize there are probably many who would wish to see Town win every game playing any kind of football to do so. I may be odd in thinking that is not how I want it to be. That doesn't mean I'm happy with glorious failure or that I don't want Town to grind out more wins in order to get promoted. My post you criticized was simply trying to paint a positive picture about our position. It didn't   state that CTFC are doing something wrong in terms of a project that's about getting promoted.

In my comment about last years play-off final I think my jist was to suggest we were unlucky - that was all. I'm scared that if I ever have to defend Town's failure in a court of law, the sematic police on here are going to send me down.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 70
ginnywings
February 4, 2016, 10:59am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from big al

I would rather support Town (as they play now) than CTFC, however successful they might be. Allow me the privilege of believing that my football team do need to be inspiring - for me they do. I'm very glad that we have had many managers who believe in playing football a certain way - how it should be played. Think PH is one of them. It isn't just about winning at any cost. Never has been.

Don't like the way people on here dismiss your opinion outright. I realize there are probably many who would wish to see Town win every game playing any kind of football to do so. I may be odd in thinking that is not how I want it to be. That doesn't mean I'm happy with glorious failure or that I don't want Town to grind out more wins in order to get promoted. My post you criticized was simply trying to paint a positive picture about our position. It didn't   state that CTFC are doing something wrong in terms of a project that's about getting promoted.

In my comment about last years play-off final I think my jist was to suggest we were unlucky - that was all. I'm scared that if I ever have to defend Town's failure in a court of law, the sematic police on here are going to send me down.

I agree very much with you and style of play for me is just as important as success but if we could get out of this league playing like a John Beck side, i would take that all day long because i think it's crucial that we get back in the league sooner rather than later. I fear it is going to get harder from next season and for our long term development, we need to be back in the league and preferably in a new ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 70
big al
February 4, 2016, 11:52am
Snakebite drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I agree very much with you and style of play for me is just as important as success but if we could get out of this league playing like a John Beck side, i would take that all day long because i think it's crucial that we get back in the league sooner rather than later. I fear it is going to get harder from next season and for our long term development, we need to be back in the league and preferably in a new ground.

Agree.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 70
MuddyWaters
February 4, 2016, 12:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
In this league I think you have to accept the result is more important than the style by which it is achieved. As Ginny says, getting out of it will only get more difficult in the future which is why I feel that for us to only have the seventh or eighth highest budget is a little surprising.
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 70
barralad
February 4, 2016, 1:00pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters
In this league I think you have to accept the result is more important than the style by which it is achieved. As Ginny says, getting out of it will only get more difficult in the future which is why I feel that for us to only have the seventh or eighth highest budget is a little surprising.

I'd be amazed if we only had the 7th/8th best budget.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 70
KingstonMariner
February 4, 2016, 2:33pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from big al

Touchy! Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I wasn't saying you weren't. And I wasn't dismissing your opinion outright either. I picked certain aspects which I don't agree with.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 70
MuddyWaters
February 4, 2016, 2:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from barralad

I'd be amazed if we only had the 7th/8th best budget.

According to the Black & White Army Facebook page. If it is true PH is doing a cracking job....and the board aren't backing him.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 70
ginnywings
February 4, 2016, 2:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
I can think of four teams who have a better budget and some say Barrow are chucking the cash about too, so if that's the case, that puts us at least 6th in the budget stakes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 70
Abdul19
February 4, 2016, 3:52pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Isn't that Gary Haddock's page?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 70
Ipswin
February 4, 2016, 4:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

Oh Pete I love you dearly mate but that is total b0llocks

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 70
barralad
February 4, 2016, 5:06pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from Abdul19
Isn't that Gary Haddock's page?

I'm pretty sure that is the case so I think I might take the information with a very large pinch of salt...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 70
Mrs Doyle
February 4, 2016, 9:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Mrs Doyle is my all time hero don’t ya know lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogrfAgbIfFo
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 70
Grantley
February 4, 2016, 11:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,506
I'm certain we have the fourth biggest budget, behind FGR, Eastleigh and Tranmere. 7/8th is way off the mark IMO.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 70
ginnywings
February 4, 2016, 11:05pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Grantley
I'm certain we have the fourth biggest budget, behind FGR, Eastleigh and Tranmere. 7/8th is way off the mark IMO.

Cheltenham.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 70
Grantley
February 4, 2016, 11:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,506
Quoted from ginnywings

Cheltenham.

Possibly with the parachute payments but their crowds are at least 1000 off our average.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 70
ginnywings
February 4, 2016, 11:22pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Grantley

Possibly with the parachute payments but their crowds are at least 1000 off our average.

They are actually nearly 2000 down but i imagine our budget would have been set with last years figures in mind which were lower. Parachute payments give them edge i would have thought, although i admit i don't know for sure. Our increased gates and cup money this season was probably what allowed us to bid for a player like Vokes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 70
voiceofreason
February 5, 2016, 5:11pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +105
Quoted from ginnywings

Cheltenham.

Ginny, for your information.

Our chairman has publicly stated this week that our budget is the 6th highest in the league (I don't know how he knows this).

He has also predicted we will show a financial profit for this season.

We have sold a youngster to Derby for around 100K so I guess that will have helped with the recruitment of Holman in Jan.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 70
ginnywings
February 5, 2016, 6:51pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from voiceofreason

Ginny, for your information.

Our chairman has publicly stated this week that our budget is the 6th highest in the league (I don't know how he knows this).

He has also predicted we will show a financial profit for this season.

We have sold a youngster to Derby for around 100K so I guess that will have helped with the recruitment of Holman in Jan.

To be honest, i don't know how much a parachute payment is in numbers. It's 50% of what they get in League 2 this season, rising to 100% next season. If you do indeed have the 6th highest, then your manager is doing a good job, though that's not surprising as he is a good manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 70
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lets All Calm Down,

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.