barralad
January 31, 2016, 8:37pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Like it or not our expectations were far above what realistically was always going to be a tough task.

The money we raised was phenomenal but against a millionaire chairman who is willing put plough more cash in despite being millions in debt it is a drop in the ocean.

Money talks and much as you would like to think a player would love to play in front of thousands of fanatical fans the truth is most want money.

For whatever reason money, the area, ect Hurst's targets seem out of reach he as probably been told to offload players to free up cash. Anybody thinking he still as money from operation promotion is dreaming bet that money as well gone along with the mullins cash.

If offloading Veney,Brown and mackreth means we get one good player in so be it.

Normally I reckon we're on the same wavelength but I can't agree with a lot of this. I don't think the majority of fans had expectations that were that far from being completely realistic. I don't like this idea that somehow money is the be all and end all. My expectations of going up (which are still only partially dimished) was based as much on the fact that we kept the manager who had got us so close AND more importantly the vast majority of the squad that got us to within a penalty kick of promotion. There are two promotion places available and I cannot think of a single reason why we shouldn't be in with as good a chance via the play offs as any other team up there. The signing of Amond (and his performances even in pre-season) reinforced that view. If it were just about the millions VGR and Eastleigh would already be fighting it out in League Two or above.
Shaun Pearson is just one example (apparently) of someone for whom money isn't the be all and end all.
Final point:- What makes you so sure there is no Operation Promotion money still in the coffers? Before Christmas the club made it clear that there is money available. You may be right that it isn't enough but that is a whole different argument

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 70
golfer
January 31, 2016, 9:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.28
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,460
Gold Stars: 123
The expectations of the fans is that every player gives there all for the town.One player who definitely does this is Craig Clay.He was one of the first players to sign this season because he WANTS to play for the town.At the start of the season he was the one dropped for Hursts blue eyed boy  Robinson who couldnt knock the skin off a rice pudding and we all know of the bad spell this brought I hope history doesn"t repeat itself with the changing of a5-0 winning team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 70
ginnywings
January 31, 2016, 11:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
I think Pete is right. It is what it is and getting all het up about it won't change a thing. The only thing we can do now is go out and win as many games as we can until the end of the season and see where the chips fall. Where there's life, there's hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 70
Brisbane Mariner
February 1, 2016, 1:23am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
You'd think we were totally dead and buried judging by the reaction on here - I think that we are still in with a chance - 17 games to go - anything can happen - we just need to get back on the winning way and hope that a few other playoff hopefuls repel the charge of the top two whilst we do our bit. A decent signing by the close of the window would also be a huge lift! UTM

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 23 - 70
Grimsby2012
February 1, 2016, 3:13am

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +12 / -8
Approval: -1,460
Gold Stars: 22
People's expectation before Gateshead game " We can definitely win the title, we have some of the best players in the conference"

Expectations after Gateshead game "I always said we would only get in the playoffs, we haven't get the best set of players in the league"

...... This is why I stay away more from the fishy when we lose for the first time in ages.... apparently we are not good enough now compared to a week ago..

I blocked seeing red ticks years ago so go ahead   If I don't reply to you then i didn't read your replies  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 70
A.l.f.
February 1, 2016, 7:25am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
We had an off day in bad conditions.  These things happen from time to time as anyone who has played football knows.  Forget it, move on and let see if we can go on another run, but most of all let's support the club.  Thats the only thing we can do to try and make a difference.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 70
barralad
February 1, 2016, 10:17am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from golfer
The expectations of the fans is that every player gives there all for the town.One player who definitely does this is Craig Clay.He was one of the first players to sign this season because he WANTS to play for the town.At the start of the season he was the one dropped for Hursts blue eyed boy  Robinson who couldnt knock the skin off a rice pudding and we all know of the bad spell this brought I hope history doesn"t repeat itself with the changing of a5-0 winning team.

Tiresome though it may be for you I'm afraid I cannot help pointing out that actually Clay wasn't "dropped" for footballing reasons. He had off the field problems which were recognised by both the player and the manager and came back stronger.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 70
ginnywings
February 1, 2016, 12:59pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.00
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,157
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Grimsby2012
People's expectation before Gateshead game " We can definitely win the title, we have some of the best players in the conference"

Expectations after Gateshead game "I always said we would only get in the playoffs, we haven't get the best set of players in the league"

...... This is why I stay away more from the fishy when we lose for the first time in ages.... apparently we are not good enough now compared to a week ago..

I get your gist but it's not as straight forward as that. Plenty on here have had their doubts that we were good enough to win the title, although it's difficult to openly express that view because of the cries of negativity and not being a "real fan". I have certainly had my doubts from fairly early on because again, as in other seasons, we simply draw too many games. My hope was that we would go on a great run (which we did) and that the others would tail off a bit (which they didn't). Expressing that view earlier in the season led to much derision and accusations of negativity, while expressing that view now leads to accusations of smugness and an "i told you so" attitude. Neither is true as it's all just opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 70
KingstonMariner
February 2, 2016, 12:03am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.01
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Ginny, couldn't have put it better myself.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 70
LongEatonMariner
February 2, 2016, 10:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from golfer

Whose going to start the "golfer " is to Craig Clay what "Calamari Kid" is to Scott Brown? 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lets All Calm Down,

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.