Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,939
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from grimsby pete
The problem is we are the big fish in this league,

The conference and BT doe not want us to leave,

So they are making it as hard as possible for us to get promotion,

BUT

We are Town !   we will do it one way or the other.

Part of a small shoal I would say headed by Tranmere,  and I would include attendance v poor performance wise Lincoln in that shoal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 70
arryarryarry
February 3, 2016, 10:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from big al

I am eternally optimistic about us being champions still but any fool can see that the maths of the situation will finally go against us. I don't believe we are anywhere near that at present. Still believe that CTFC and FGR can experience their own banana skins or 'mini-meltdowns' that might enable us to take them both on the outside rail but I also recognise it's increasingly, a bit of a long shot.

With all this in mind, I guess you would expect Hurst to be planning for the play-offs already although I hope he hasn't given up on us being champions just yet. He has a difficult job and has to hedge his bets. Being realistic I think most Town fans can only see promotion happening through the play-offs now. What I don't share is the baffling pessimism of some about our chances. If we finish top 5 we will be the bookies favourites and the team that no one wants to play before a potential final. There is no play-off jinx. Last year we were one penalty away from League 2 and were unlucky on the day.

We are a better team than CTFC, FGR or any other for that matter just not as consistent or as good at grinding out certain results. The only 'fly in the ointment' for me would be Tranmere securing a top 5 place along side us - that would worry me in what is always the partial lottery of the play-offs.

Wouldn't the team that finished second or was on the best run of form be favourites?

Not according to the current league table.
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 70
big al
February 3, 2016, 11:03am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Fair point AAA but I just think that head to head we can and probably will beat anyone and the bookies will think the same. Still think we will finish 2nd. One of the top two is going to slip up but probably not both.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 70
grimsby pete
February 3, 2016, 11:08am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,841
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from big al
Fair point AAA but I just think that head to head we can and probably will beat anyone and the bookies will think the same. Still think we will finish 2nd. One of the top two is going to slip up but probably not both.

I tend to agree but I am hoping they both get the jitters,

Out of the two I would rather play FGR at Wembley,

I can remember Cardiff.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 70
Grimal
February 3, 2016, 11:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,878
Gold Stars: 9
I know we shouldn't rely on other teams dropping points but I think the top two could drop points this saturday, Barrow seem to have found a bit of form and Wrexham is always a difficult away fixture. All we can do is win our own games and see where we are come end of April.
UTM.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 70
big al
February 3, 2016, 11:20am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +740
Quoted from grimsby pete

I tend to agree but I am hoping they both get the jitters,

Out of the two I would rather play FGR at Wembley,

I can remember Cardiff.

The CTFC game at BP suggested to me that they are an efficient team rather than an inspiring one. They know how to win or at least have a manager who does. Would also prefer FGR at Wembley. Would be decidedly worried if we end up playing Tranmere - don't believe in silly fate etc but I think that was a part of our undoing last year - BR were the 'bigger team' and that helped them I believe. Let's get a Dover or Eastleigh in May and it could be a goal fest.

It's all just wishful thinking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 70
Abdul19
February 3, 2016, 11:35am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,629
Gold Stars: 220
Brabin's lost more playoff finals than PH, I wouldn't mind playing Tranmere! I see what you mean about Bristol R being the bigger team, but they were also the better team (as in they got more points). I don't think Tranny will be as strong. Again though, wishful thinking!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 70
arryarryarry
February 3, 2016, 1:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,020
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from big al

Let's hope we finish top, but unlikely.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 70
grimps
February 3, 2016, 1:10pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,178
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from acko338
Mad off the wall theory - after historically failing in the play offs and subsequent disappointments for all concerned, has Hurst now got the idea of making the side capable of winning promotion via three vital playoff games, because as good as our run has been, both of the top teams are still several points in front, even if we win games in hand?

The two TV games will both disadvantage Town with travel, and lack of rest in between games, so the League and BT are not assisting us in any way.

Hurst has the time between now and the playoff period to prop up his side to steel themselves into a position that will push them over the line. It's not just a numbers game - it's the enhancement of strength throughout the team in case of illness, injuries, or late suspensions so that we have competitors for all positions.

No one should give up on automatic promotion, but two teams would have to be failing at the same time as well as Town re-producing our recent winning run - that seems slightly far fetched considering their history for this season.

I also guess that they both have bigger budgets to move if things start to go wrong in the next couple of months.

I believe that we need an experienced winger who can send in crosses and corners accurately, and the fans all need to know if Henderson and Nolan would make good long term replacements for Diz and Clay if either get injured.

The important thing is to maintain the third spot and keep those below at bay by getting back to a great winning run again..

I remember us saying last season that we will beat Bristol because they had been going hell for leather for the title and we'd be able to rest players ect in the run up to the end of the season.
It never worked out like that although it was close

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 70
barralad
February 3, 2016, 5:02pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,301
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from Davec
Yes Ackomariner, there were a few swear words thrown in, I thought she was Mrs Brown for a moment

If Mrs Doyle doesn't like people having different opinions then what is he or she doing on the forum

Not quite sure why a single poster (who by the way is probably male) is being singled out. Abuse tends to flow from both sides of the debate at times

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 70
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Lets All Calm Down,

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.