6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Grim up north
December 22, 2012, 9:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 1
I thought he played ok last night , not a great game but a hard fought win against strong opposition . I thought Disley and Niven were quality along with Pond up to his normal high standard.the only player I was dissapointed in was Marshall who seemed to look a bit lost but has had good games so is entitled to have an off day.
We are top of the league for a reason ...the effort the lads have put in ..well done to all , enjoy Xmas at the top
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
petethemariner
December 22, 2012, 10:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
For what its worth,  for various reasons i have only made a handful of games this season and last night was the first time i had seen Hatton play, i have read a lot on here about him and  as i do know that our fans  tend  to love  to make a scapegoat, i wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, considering he seemed to have a reasonable time at AFC Wimbledon, so expected him to be half decent, although  perhaps a little lacking in confidence.
I played the game at a reasonable amateur level in defence for 30 years,  so i do know a bit about the game and i have to say that judged on last nights performance i would have to rate him a poor defender, he didn't close attackers down, relied on Marshall to do that for him, doesn't  appear to have a lot of pace, or strength in the tackle and positionally wasn't great, he must be better than that  surely?-  he is probably better than Wood with the ball at his feet, but, if i picked that team,  out of the two it would be Wood everytime for me.
My opinion , others  will disagree, but i thought 80's post on this was spot on..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
80sglory
December 23, 2012, 3:35am
Guest User
Well thanks Pete but it's only something to be aware of.
For me it's horses for courses depending on the opoosition and how many defensive problems they MAY pose us.
But obviously some have gone on the defensive deciding any criticism is never ever helpful and it's all about slagging off the players !  
So don't be suprised if you get thrown in the same boat...
Quoted from tashee69
I like Hatton but I think some Town fans ALWAYS need a boo boy.  

Interesting...
Let's go back over the timeline... (correct me if I'm wrong)

Oct 20th.
Hatton returns back into the side for the Kiddy FA Cup game - Town lose 4-2.
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.u.....24&tcmuri=431541
Quoted from ska face
Only 2 goals conceded with Sam Hatton on the pitch this season.

Wow great stat !

My comment...(Just back)
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1350751865/s-26/highlight-Hatton/#num26
Quoted from 1600
Of the players...

Hatton - defensively suspect and over-elaborate but tbf the ball he played to Niven(great goal) was CLASS.  
No doubt he's a footballer with vision but equally needs to stop any love affair with his own ability and knuckle down.

27th Oct - Bradley Wood returns to the side on October 27th, Town lose 1-0 to Macc.
28th Oct - I suggest Hatton should return to the side for Tamworth (if anyone else did pre-Woking please do say !)
Quoted from 1600
Whatever is true mate let's remember it was Hatton who set up Niven for 1st goal v Kiddy.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1351444412/s-0/#num4

10 Nov - with the onus on attacking and putting Woking on the back foot, Hatton now returns back into side scoring a couple.  

But just forget all that, we ALWAYS need a boo boy !  
Reply: 42 - 51
Tommy
December 23, 2012, 11:13am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,869
Gold Stars: 76
I think in general, but not with everyone, Hatton gets a raw deal because Bradley Wood is a fans favourite.

Don't see what the fuss is about criticising him for Friday night. How many times did the Polish lad actually go past him, 1/2/3? Not many in 75 minutes.

Good defending is not clattering into someone at the same time as clearing the ball. Sometimes being in the right place at the right time is more effective.

I do like Wood so this isn't a "Hatton is far better than Wood" post. Far from it. I actually don't have a specific preference, ill just support whoever's in the side and not female dog and moan that the other guy isn't in the team.

For some balance to the debate though, and since enough people have brought up some of Hatton's negatives, ill mention a few of things that I find myself repeatedly still shouting for Wood to do/not do in games.

1) His reluctance to take a throw-in by throwing it short when someone (usually Disley) is asking for a quick "to feet and back" throw. It doesn't matter if he's got a marker behind him, he isn't going to get caught on the ball if he's giving it back to Wood first time. We do this often with Hatton IMO.

2) He still has this tendency to alter his movement towards the ball by going away from it to make sure he makes strong contact or barges into the opposition player. This still often leaves a chance for the player to dodge the barge and nick in and take the ball. Also leads to a few free kicks being conceded as he leaves his natural line of movement to bump the guy so its clear for refs to see. I'd rather him just kick the ball out of play if he needs to and then get back into position.

3) Positionally when we are in possession. When S.Pearson or McKeown have the ball it would just take Wood to drop 10 yards deeper sometimes to give himself a little time + space and to make an angle for a pass if needed. He often stands in a position on the halfway line where he's not going to be able to receive the ball. And he's sometimes slow to react and move on when we're passing the ball across the pitch from left to right and there's acres of space in front of him.

Personally I don't think any other team will have such strength in depth at right back as we do.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
Teesknees
December 23, 2012, 12:34pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from 1600
Well thanks Pete but it's only something to be aware of.
For me it's horses for courses depending on the opoosition and how many defensive problems they MAY pose us.
But obviously some have gone on the defensive deciding any criticism is never ever helpful and it's all about slagging off the players !  
So don't be suprised if you get thrown in the same boat...

Interesting...
Let's go back over the timeline... (correct me if I'm wrong)

Oct 20th.
Hatton returns back into the side for the Kiddy FA Cup game - Town lose 4-2.
http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.u.....24&tcmuri=431541

Wow great stat !

My comment...(Just back)
http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1350751865/s-26/highlight-Hatton/#num26

27th Oct - Bradley Wood returns to the side on October 27th, Town lose 1-0 to Macc.
28th Oct - I suggest Hatton should return to the side for Tamworth (if anyone else did pre-Woking please do say !)

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1351444412/s-0/#num4

10 Nov - with the onus on attacking and putting Woking on the back foot, Hatton now returns back into side scoring a couple.  

Do you live on your own or with your parents?

Have you tried masterbation?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
davmariner
December 23, 2012, 1:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,987
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Teesknees

Wow great counter argument...

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
80sglory
December 23, 2012, 3:59pm
Guest User
Quoted from Tommy
I think in general, but not with everyone, Hatton gets a raw deal because Bradley Wood is a fans favourite.

Don't see what the fuss is about criticising him for Friday night. How many times did the Polish lad actually go past him, 1/2/3? Not many in 75 minutes.

Good defending is not clattering into someone at the same time as clearing the ball. Sometimes being in the right place at the right time is more effective.

I do like Wood so this isn't a "Hatton is far better than Wood" post. Far from it. I actually don't have a specific preference, ill just support whoever's in the side and not female dog and moan that the other guy isn't in the team.

For some balance to the debate though, and since enough people have brought up some of Hatton's negatives, ill mention a few of things that I find myself repeatedly still shouting for Wood to do/not do in games.

1) His reluctance to take a throw-in by throwing it short when someone (usually Disley) is asking for a quick "to feet and back" throw. It doesn't matter if he's got a marker behind him, he isn't going to get caught on the ball if he's giving it back to Wood first time. We do this often with Hatton IMO.

2) He still has this tendency to alter his movement towards the ball by going away from it to make sure he makes strong contact or barges into the opposition player. This still often leaves a chance for the player to dodge the barge and nick in and take the ball. Also leads to a few free kicks being conceded as he leaves his natural line of movement to bump the guy so its clear for refs to see. I'd rather him just kick the ball out of play if he needs to and then get back into position.

3) Positionally when we are in possession. When S.Pearson or McKeown have the ball it would just take Wood to drop 10 yards deeper sometimes to give himself a little time + space and to make an angle for a pass if needed. He often stands in a position on the halfway line where he's not going to be able to receive the ball. And he's sometimes slow to react and move on when we're passing the ball across the pitch from left to right and there's acres of space in front of him.

Personally I don't think any other team will have such strength in depth at right back as we do.

Now that's what I call proper debate !  

Not sure I agree with everything but most I do and more importantly, it's a fair, mature and well constructed argument. (nice dig by the way tees but you'll have to do better than that !)
I might have a re-watch of the Luton game...

Not sure I understand what "ill just support whoever's in the side" means though ?
I support everyone when I'm there supporting (and if people don't they're doing a disservice and should belt up or perhaps sod off !) but still think it can sometimes help to be critical after the full time whistle has blown.
Goes back to the principle of "prevention is better than cure" (if indeed there IS any issue which is being debated).
I support the WHOLE squad and when aiming to play at FULL strength, want the best player(s) who can do the best job on the day, not just the last 11 because they played last time round.
Think it's fair to say we've seen BOTH right backs being used so far this season and both have generally been effective.
Can't speak for others but just personally for me, the criticism was not motivated by "bring Bradley Wood back" and not saying I necessarily would.
But equally I probably would have done for Wrexham and wouldn't rule it out in future but it depends on the circumstances and opposition.

I guess the backlash boils down to this "boo boy" concern and if it's a problem it needs to be addressed and stamped out.
But as far as I'm aware no-ones been booing or really getting on Hatton back ?
Just for me you've got to address separate issues separately, not just fudge team selection because there MIGHT be another problem elsewhere that might pop up.  
When the managers say "We thought we'd take him out the firing line" (which they've done more than once already !) then it's disappointing to say the least, because if it's cos of the "stick" they really shouldn't have to !  

If god forbid, fans do ever start booing Hatton (or really getting on his back) then they need to give themselves a proper slap, it'll be a disgrace and it's not the kind of thing we ever want to see regardless of the player.
I wasn't Elding's biggest fan but as a GTFC player was disgusted with the treatment he received.  
If he comes back and plays then he (like every player) deserves our full support at the matches.
But for me, like every player that shouldn't mean you can't be fair and objective and speak about his strengths and weaknesses and whether he should in the team on the messageboard...
Reply: 46 - 51
Marinerz93
December 23, 2012, 4:44pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.55
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from Teesknees

Quoted from 1600

A little low but how do you know he types with two hands  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
Mariners_15
December 23, 2012, 5:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Also going to be ruthless and agree with the first poster, Wood over Hatton anyday for me. Without being too critical of Hatton I don't think he's as good as Brad and for me is only on the pitch because of the 2 free kicks he scored the other week. I'd definitely choose Brad for the Lincoln games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
headingly_mariner
December 23, 2012, 5:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,408
Gold Stars: 124
I think they both have good quality in different areas, Hatton is a good ball player and takes a smashing set piece. Wood is a better athlete and better defensively IMO. I thought the number 7 gave Hatton a tricky time but he would have given most a hard time. Hatton could go past his winger a bit more often for me! I am not worried who plays right back and think we have good competition, personally I would go for brad but I am not unhappy with Hatton.

I don't get the criticism of Marshall, I think he is a proper positive winger, he won't beat the fullback all the time but is willing to have a go and he is a good out for us as we struggle for pace.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Criticisms and Worries

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.